George Burley

kingantti1874

kingantti1874

Just a bit of fun here, completely hypothetical but if levein did move on would we take George back, resolve unfinished business? 

Jambos_1874

Only if he brought Rudi back and refrained from frequenting the local hostelries.

Edited by Jambos_1874

Remember Burley wouldn’t have anywhere near the budget he had in 2005.

Signing players with champions league winner medals and European championship winner medals is a thing of the past.

N Lincs Jambo

Burley was great but didn’t have to make a silk purse from sow’s ears. I have no idea how he would fare without being able to bring in the calibre of players we did in 2005. Having said that if he was working without interference and was able to bring his scouts with him then why not?

2 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

He hasn't really done anything in management in over 10 years.

Hasn't done anything of note since leaving us. 

Nearly 14 years!

i wish jj was my dad

I would have loved to have seen what he could have done without interference and FWIW I think he coud have won us the league but doubt he could do much on todays budget

7 minutes ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

Burley was great but didn’t have to make a silk purse from sow’s ears. I have no idea how he would fare without being able to bring in the calibre of players we did in 2005. Having said that if he was working without interference and was able to bring his scouts with him then why not?

Agreed and when he had my the Scotland job it was the worst performance by a manager in living memory. Its the same as bring back PS i think would you. In a maroon tinted world yes in the real world probably not worth the risk

andythejambo
8 minutes ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

I think a lot of the players were sourced by Simon Hunt, rather then Burley.

8 minutes ago, Jambo_Gaz said:

Hasn't done anything of note since leaving us. 

Nearly 14 years!

Yes he has he made Scotland look even worse than McLeish has in the last 12months

He's not managed a team for 7 years. I'd say it's safe to assume he's retired. 

He could well have gone on and became a Hearts legend but we'll never know. 

N Lincs Jambo
3 minutes ago, andythejambo said:

I think a lot of the players were sourced by Simon Hunt, rather then Burley.

Yep that’s the scout I was thinking of. Couldn’t remember his name 

Finlay James

No but it will always grate not knowing what could have been.

Romanov was a joke and letting burley go was just one of his many mistakes 

27 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Just a bit of fun here, completely hypothetical but if levein did move on would we take George back, resolve unfinished business? 

I would take Graeme rix over levein ?

N Lincs Jambo
2 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

I heard he sacked because of his excessive drinking, anyone else heard this?

My mate from Peebles told me.

If that is true then there is a massive irony about a Scotsman getting sacked for excessive drinking by a Russian/Lithuanian management team ?

spirt of 98
16 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

I would have loved to have seen what he could have done without interference and FWIW I think he coud have won us the league but doubt he could do much on todays budget

Yawn 

Someone who hasn’t managed in over 7 years? Yeah **** it why not. Honestly some folk wonder why we never make any progress. 

5 minutes ago, Finlay James said:

No but it will always grate not knowing what could have been.

Romanov was a joke and letting burley go was just one of his many mistakes 

Still split the old firm and won the Scottish cup. Great times.

Tommy Brown
3 minutes ago, lsimp77 said:

Someone who hasn’t managed in over 7 years? Yeah **** it why not. Honestly some folk wonder why we never make any progress. 

Re-read the OP

hint:

Just a bit fun

SpruceBringsteen

Won hee haw under Mr Romanov. Would rather see Valdas or Paulo back, actual winners. :cool:

Finlay James
1 minute ago, RudiHMFC said:

Still split the old firm and won the Scottish cup. Great times.

Would have won the league and achieved so much more had Burley stayed and he had ran the club properly

i wish jj was my dad
2 minutes ago, spirt of 98 said:

Yawn 

Eh? He had the budget to create the best Hearts team in 50 years and yes we were flying. He wouldn't now and his record since he left has been poor to say the least. 

6 minutes ago, Finlay James said:

Would have won the league and achieved so much more had Burley stayed and he had ran the club properly

That's all hypothetical, we still had an amazing season and had some excellent players.

51 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

NO.

We'd only just slaughter him and sully the memory of his time when/if he didn't win every single game...

Que sera, sera.

Gorgeous George was quite the man, but only with the resources he had then.

:sad: 

We were the team to beat back in 2005/06.

Rocky jamboa

Yes for me.

Although he had good players, he had us playing good, attacking football as well. 

I'm not sure I believe all this drinking chat. Was that not a rumour released by romanov to cover up his stupid decision to get rid of him? 

Just now, Paulp74 said:

Yes for me.

Although he had good players, he had us playing good, attacking football as well. 

I'm not sure I believe all this drinking chat. Was that not a rumour released by romanov to cover up his stupid decision to get rid of him? 

Glad you mentioned the drinking thing.

It’s a lot of shite, and is purely a myth that has grown arms and legs.

He liked a wee drink, nothing less, nothing more.

kingantti1874
47 minutes ago, jambogemz said:

Applied for Ipswich job last year.. he had some good scouts.. we could use some of them.

sell soapy re-invest the funds, give him a decent crack at it.. 

im jesting but part of me would like to see what he could do

Finlay James
3 minutes ago, Paulp74 said:

Yes for me.

He used to live in a flat in Juniper Green, about 5 doors down from where I lived at the time.  I lost count of the amount of times he came home crawling out of taxis, paralytic.  He liked a peeve, that's for sure.

portobellojambo1

I loved every minute he was here, but for me I prefer to remember those memories and don't think there is anything to be gained from bringing back someone who hasn't had more than about 3 months managerial involvmeent since he left the Scotland job in 2009. I don't think it matters if it is a manager or a player, sometimes it is just better to retain the memories you have rather than find that 2nd time round that person just doesn't produce what he did the original time (from a playing point of view the 1 name that come to mind for me is Neil McCann. Was brilliant for us in his first spell, but it just didn't work out on his return).

51 minutes ago, jambogemz said:

Think he was retired. By football clubs. 

Had the best squad of players at tynie in last 30/40 years. Had no excuses for not being successful. It would have been interesting to see if he could have kept it going for a full season. 

45 minutes ago, NB GIN said:

I would take Graeme rix over levein ?

Think you might be in a small minority of one  with that one.  

39 minutes ago, Finlay James said:

He could never run the club properly. All of the signings during the Romanov era were bought using stolen money. 

I wouldn't want any of our past managers back again tbh. Lots of great coaches out there......We just have to find one. 

Rocky jamboa
6 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Think he was retired. By football clubs. 

Had the best squad of players at tynie in last 30/40 years. Had no excuses for not being successful. It would have been interesting to see if he could have kept it going for a full season. 

Although burley did have a good squad, rix inherited the same squad and did nowhere near as good. 

1 minute ago, Paulp74 said:

Although burley did have a good squad, rix inherited the same squad and did nowhere near as good. 

Players were pee’d off by then. Bonus system was changed at the same time as manager was changed.