George Burley

kingantti1874

The next manager will depend on whether Levein moves back upstairs or leaves the club. If CL goes back to the DOF role we will not be getting an older, experienced manager, there is no way Levein will allow anyone in who could potentially threaten his position, it will be another younger relatively untried guy, but probably with a bit of experience under his belt already.

Hector Riva

My gaffer was on holiday last month at Sandles Barbados.

So was Mr and Mrs Burley.

I told him to ask if he would come back to Hearts.

He forgot :(

He said that George looked fit and his missis looked very fit.

Edited by Hector Riva

Genuinely not sure. If he came back I'd welcome him back absolutely, do I think he'd be a success? Couldn't begin to guess. 

If we want to continue with the DoF model we should really look for an actual DoF. Levein isn't a DoF, he's a manager. 

I was heartbroken ? when George got sacked if he had stayed I think we would have won the league that season.

Bring back George.

Brighton Jambo
1 hour ago, Morgan said:

Glad you mentioned the drinking thing.

It’s a lot of shite, and is purely a myth that has grown arms and legs.

He liked a wee drink, nothing less, nothing more.

That’s not true, there was incident at an official club function involving the manager and Stephen Pressley/pressleys wife.  It was brought about by George Burley being hammered.  My source is a former club director who I have no reason to believe would create stories.  

Edited by Brighton Jambo

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Morgan said:

Glad you mentioned the drinking thing.

It’s a lot of shite, and is purely a myth that has grown arms and legs.

He liked a wee drink, nothing less, nothing more.

Probably right, but he did have that drunken, rosey, blood shock eyed, shakey look about him. 

The Lehay look I call it. 

dims.jpeg

3 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

I heard he sacked because of his excessive drinking, anyone else heard this?

My mate from Peebles told me.

This is supposedly true but the way burley had the team performing he was getting all the plaudits ... vlad didn’t like it and decided to put him in his place 

the rest is history as they say .... I absolutely loved burleys direct in ur face tactics - we will never know what would have happened if he was left alone to get on with it - reverse with burley at the helm - pretty certain he would have won that New Years game at home against septic

bringing him back now isn’t the right move as others have said  

i wish jj was my dad
7 hours ago, Brighton Jambo said:

That’s not true, there was incident at an official club function involving the manager and Stephen Pressley/pressleys wife.  It was brought about by George Burley being hammered.  My source is a former club director who I have no reason to believe would create stories.  

And being the forgiving individual he is Pressley went on to work with him again with the international squad.

Brighton Jambo
2 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

And being the forgiving individual he is Pressley went on to work with him again with the international squad.

Just passing on what I heard, i would guess the issue was more that it was embarrassing for the club than a ‘serious’ relationship ending incident.  

Had a great night with GB in a couple of pubs after the Inverness away 1 nil win part of that amazing run of games.  

After many Budweisers he ended up cossack dancing with a girls hockey team.

A_A wehatethehibs

He’s finished unfortunately, and he was blessed with a number of  different class footballers like Fyssas, Skacel, Bednar, Jankauskas, Hartley... sensational footballers

I don’t think he would get the same out of Clare, Lee, Uche, Vanacek and Mulraney. 

13 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

He’s finished unfortunately, and he was blessed with a number of  different class footballers like Fyssas, Skacel, Bednar, Jankauskas, Hartley... sensational footballers

I don’t think he would get the same out of Clare, Lee, Uche, Vanacek and Mulraney. 

On the back of that Fyssas been steady in his job as a technical youth director at panathinaikos and Jankauskas managed with pressure of nation albeit poorly. Wonder how they would cope as a coach back here.

A_A wehatethehibs
51 minutes ago, fatlad said:

On the back of that Fyssas been steady in his job as a technical youth director at panathinaikos and Jankauskas managed with pressure of nation albeit poorly. Wonder how they would cope as a coach back here.

Never mind coach, they could probably both still do a job as players better than what we have in their positions :lol: 

17 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Never mind coach, they could probably both still do a job as players better than what we have in their positions :lol: 

Fyssas will never loose it, not spoken about enough. KT and Andy Robbo should watch Fyssas videos 

Pasquale for King
19 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

Just a bit of fun here, completely hypothetical but if levein did move on would we take George back, resolve unfinished business? 

Maybe as a DoF with a young coach who he could help play in the manner we did then with a high press. His old pal Simon Hunt was the International Scout at Ipswich and Sporting Director at West Brom. These guys are out there if you have the right connections and advice.

Pasquale for King
3 hours ago, Bainy said:

Oh to watch a hearts team playing fast free flowing attcking football every week. 

It’s one of the periods of our history that we should be striving to recreate.

BOBTHEBRUCE

I'm against employing managers that have been out of the game for 5+ years, You just need to look at the likes of Alex Mcleish  and Craig Levein. 

But......Purely down to the unfinished business thing, I'd probably be up for giving Burley and even Sergio a years rolling contract. 

Things are just that bad just now. 

I was saying today that it would be funny if we brought in Hibs first choice though.. 

Edited by BOBTHEBRUCE

spirt of 98
20 hours ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Eh? He had the budget to create the best Hearts team in 50 years and yes we were flying. He wouldn't now and his record since he left has been poor to say the least. 

Aye and if my Auntie had baws she’d be my Uncle. 

i wish jj was my dad
28 minutes ago, spirt of 98 said:

Aye and if my Auntie had baws she’d be my Uncle. 

I'm guessing you know what you mean. 

BOBTHEBRUCE

Robbie Neilson is comparable to Burley in a way. He had the budget (smaller scale but comparable when you consider the teams he was up against) to be far better than he his. 

He's basically brought a whole new team in at Utd as well. 

I'm sure a lot of folk would take him back. 

Like bringing Burley back,  I wouldn't, but if it meant getting rid of Levein... 

I'd have to consider it. 

Edited by BOBTHEBRUCE

I made a fortune that season betting on over 2 goals getting Evens most weeks until the bookies cracked on....I remember being out shopping with my wife when my bet365 notification came through and the bet was up after 21 mins IIRC against Livi....good times for a young pup

spirt of 98
3 hours ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

I'm guessing you know what you mean. 

Ifs, buts and may be’s. We will never know how Burnley’s team would have faired. The wheels may have come of just like this year. Burley would not be good for us now. We need a team builder not a buyer. 

23 hours ago, portobellojambo1 said:

I loved every minute he was here, but for me I prefer to remember those memories and don't think there is anything to be gained from bringing back someone who hasn't had more than about 3 months managerial involvmeent since he left the Scotland job in 2009. I don't think it matters if it is a manager or a player, sometimes it is just better to retain the memories you have rather than find that 2nd time round that person just doesn't produce what he did the original time (from a playing point of view the 1 name that come to mind for me is Neil McCann. Was brilliant for us in his first spell, but it just didn't work out on his return).

I completely agree about Neil McCann (although injury hampered him) but surely Robbo and JC were more than ok on their returns ?

portobellojambo1
6 minutes ago, cookieboy said:

I completely agree about Neil McCann (although injury hampered him) but surely Robbo and JC were more than ok on their returns ?

I never really thought about either in all honesty, old age creeping in. Not sure if  it was because both of them were only away for a relatively short period that I never classed them/thought of them  as having been away.

Edited by portobellojambo1

8 minutes ago, portobellojambo1 said:

I never really thought about either in all honesty, old age creeping in. Not sure if  it was because both of them were only away for a relatively short period that I never classed them/thought of them  as having been away.

no probs mate haha , and just remembered Webster was a Cup WInner in 2012 FTH

20 minutes ago, spirt of 98 said:

Ifs, buts and may be’s. We will never know how Burnley’s team would have faired. The wheels may have come of just like this year. Burley would not be good for us now. We need a team builder not a buyer. 

There’s just so much that could be said about that post.

On 24 April 2019 at 22:17, soonbe110 said:
On 24 April 2019 at 22:17, soonbe110 said:

Think you might be in a small minority of one  with that one.  

would take Graeme rix over levein ?

Not sure I'd mention small minors 

Austin MacGlee

Nah. We need someone with a proven track record of operating on a budget and bringing through youth as well as spotting gems in lower  leagues. Basically what we were told we'd get with Levein as DoF.

Burley's budget was astronomical in comparison to how we operate now.