You should be proud to be British

jumpship

You should be proud to be British, was the response I got from a colleague at work when talking about Brexit.

I believe Brexit is going to be a disaster,  he was informing me that it's going to be freedom away from corrupt Europe. 

The Brexit chat was boring as it was going around in circles. 

So decided to change the subject and chat about pride in British history. Pulled up what I thought would be a few negative Google searches.. 

The conversation darken as I shared atrocity after atrocity. 

Angry response was, "that was f-ing years ago. "

I stupidly mentioned Iraq and Afghanistan,  along with the training and selling weapons to the Saudi regime. 

Conversation ended. 

So, Are you proud of being British?

Edited by jumpship

In comparison with all the countries in the world Britain is a pretty good place

Are we perfect by no means but we are in the top 10% of countries around the world

Of course because we are a decent nation we accept that critics will abound whereas in other countries critics would simply be bound gagged and tortured

There is no perfect country out there and if you want to dig deep enough there will be issues amongst them all.

Not a concept which has ever meant terribly much to me. I think that’s because it doesn’t seem to mean terribly much to many people who are British, who regard it as much the same as being English to the extent of using the terms synonymously. It’s a bit nebulous.

shaun.lawson

Um... I sort of am. Being British is in my blood; it's totally fundamental to who I am. But people being proud of their nationality makes no logical sense - because it's an accident of birth.

In 1999, a great Israeli journalist asked Ehud Barak, "imagine for a moment you'd been born Palestinian. What would you have done?" Barak, who should be commended for his honesty, replied "I guess I'd have become a terrorist". Meaning: "I guess I'd have fought for them just as I fought for us". This journalist has asked IDF troops the same question, and usually been met with colossal anger... mostly because it hits such a brilliantly raw nerve. 

Logically, we should be proud of things we achieve... not of some total accident. But life and humanity aren't all about logic. Everyone needs a place called home; which is why I've always regarded patriotism (love of country) as a good thing, nationalism (hatred of other countries and a sense of the innate superiority of one's country) as an awful thing. I also think the World Cup showcases almost all the best aspects of patriotism: you can want your country to do well while also rejoicing in the party of so many different nationalities and cultures.

But where the fellow mentioned in the OP is so completely wrong is: "My country, right or wrong". No. It is fundamental to my sense of Britishness that it demands ruthless honesty about the UK's often appalling past, and rigorous questioning and accountability about the realities now. I think that's who we are: we question things, we take the piss out of ourselves, we're cynical but not in a nasty way. British humour is based on taking the mick out of absolutely everything: ourselves above all.

Nationalism is what changes that. It creates some weird, dystopian sense of 'exceptionalism'. Brexit was very greatly about nationalism and exceptionalism; both of which are completely at odds with my idea of what being British involves. So I reject it.

And to anyone who supports Brexit, I can only point out: nothing but nothing that's happened since the vote has been good. Zero. It's not just the bare faced nastiness of some; it's the absolute shambles of our political system. I think Brexit has brought out the worst in just about everyone: whether they were for Leave or Remain. Nothing that has such an effect can possibly be a good idea.

Two other things. First, if I had to betray my friend, or betray my country, I'd betray my country every time. And second: loving my country doesn't mean I'll excuse any compatriot who brings it or themselves into disrepute. And some - only some - of my fellow Brits leave me feeling ashamed. Not of myself; but of sharing a nationality which represents so many total arseholes.

Edited by shaun.lawson

shaun.lawson
33 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

In comparison with all the countries in the world Britain is a pretty good place

Are we perfect by no means but we are in the top 10% of countries around the world

Of course because we are a decent nation we accept that critics will abound whereas in other countries critics would simply be bound gagged and tortured

There is no perfect country out there and if you want to dig deep enough there will be issues amongst them all.

I agree on the latter point, of course. But on the rest?

'Decent countries' don't profit from slaughter like we do in Yemen. On what planet is any country 'decent' when it does that? Yemen is the worst humanitarian catastrophe in the world: amply contributed to by us, because we think money is more important than little kids being blown to pieces.

And 'decent countries' are not condemned by the UN, twice, for their treatment of the poor and the disabled. Not only that - but our response was to attack the UN and do nothing. Nothing whatever. 

'Decent countries' don't create hostile environments for immigrants, don't chain immigrants up on planes when deporting them, and don't deport 18-year-old Afghan boys to their deaths, or 18-year-old Nigerian girls into sex slavery either. But we do. 'Decent'?!?!

You can judge the decency of any country in how it treats the poor and vulnerable. Britain's treatment of both is utterly disgusting and almost devoid of basic humanity. Uruguay, by contrast, is infinitely more decent across the board. It's just that, unlike Britain, it didn't get famous by enslaving half the world and it doesn't shout its mouth off about how wonderful it is. So hardly anyone knows about it.

Edited by shaun.lawson

AlphonseCapone

I don't have any issues with Britain, it has its flaws but there are plenty worse countries in the world and I think its done a lot of good amongst the bad. But British is a legal term that it's on my passport and it's not something I see myself as, and never will, and no legal document or how many times people say "but you are British" will ever change what I feel inside, will ever make me look at the UJ as anything but someone else's flag or alter the fact that I'll choose to dissolve the Union every chance I get.

jack D and coke

Neither proud nor ashamed and anybody that is either isn’t right imo. 

I just happened to appear here and it’s as good as anywhere I could’ve appeared of that I’ve no doubt. 

The atrocities or the achievements of the past though are absolutely nothing to do with me. 

Its a bollocks statement which masks many underlying viewpoints and issues.

Edited by Jamboelite

As someone who has no connections with England, Wales and Northern Ireland.....i can't say yes or no.

I'm Scottish. So is my family.

To even call myself British because my country borders another one would feel pretty ridiculous to me.

But I do love though the faux Brits on here who call themselves British just to stir up shit...mostly the god bless her majesty brigade with this love in for a rich family they don't know....those people are definitely British.....cos they're arseholes.

Call yourself what you want though. Call yourself a penguin if you like.

I am not sure I ever referred to myself as British, I seem to feel if the subject came up I would say I was Scottish. Now if asked I will say I am Canadian, and say it with pride, it is a fantastic Country. Of course this will always lead to the you have an accent which gets the reply I am Scottish born and raised and lived there until I was in my thirties.  The only time British comes up is when discussion leads to military service when I say British army, to clarify not Canadian or any other  I have no shame being British, history is as history done, British citizenship or birth is something to be proud of.

41 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

I just happened to appear here and it’s as good as anywhere I could’ve appeared of that I’ve no doubt. 

The atrocities or the achievements of the past though are absolutely nothing to do with me. 

Well said JdC, I stay in a country where they automatically assume I am English, no problem - then they state after I have corrected them that I am 100% not Scottish as they have been to Glasgow.

Now the hairs start going up on the back of my neck and I let them know yes I am Scottish and British not English.

Very few in China know where Scotland actually is, I'm more ok with being called English than Glaswegian I guess - my failing not theirs.

Scottish first and British second, but I support the union and will never get over the irony of nats who view the unaccountable and wasteful European Union as some mysterious panacea while the 300 year union with England and Wales is to be chucked in the bin despite the annual cash tribute from London. Offer me a republic and I might vote for it for a laugh just to wind up the sash community but otherwise no ta. I will stick with the British passport. 

Edited by JackLadd

Brighton Jambo

I have a slightly different perspective as I’m English with English parents but have lived in Scotland all my life so have a genuine love for both countries.  Given that I would say I am proud to be British.  

Roxy Hearts

I'm not a quite sure what being British means. I'm Scottish as that's the country where I was born and I like England and its people. Loathe the union jack as it represents a lot of what I despise. 

indianajones

Has absolutely no meaning to me at all. 

I identify as Scottish. Cant be proud of something I have no connection with. 

Proud to be Scottish, yes!

Proud to be British? (I live abroad and am horrendously embarrassed to be thought of as English), no thanks.

English people are, as a rule, very much disliked wherever I have resided.

I’ll take being Scottish (and in particular, from Edinburgh) every time.

4 hours ago, jumpship said:

You should be proud to be British, was the response I got from a colleague at work when talking about Brexit.

I believe Brexit is going to be a disaster,  he was informing me that it's going to be freedom away from corrupt Europe. 

The Brexit chat was boring as it was going around in circles. 

So decided to change the subject and chat about pride in British history. Pulled up what I thought would be a few negative Google searches.. 

The conversation darken as I shared atrocity after atrocity. 

Angry response was, "that was f-ing years ago. "

I stupidly mentioned Iraq and Afghanistan,  along with the training and selling weapons to the Saudi regime. 

Conversation ended. 

So, Are you proud of being British?

Yes.

luckyBatistuta

Anybody ever asks us on holiday if we are English or British, I instantly put them straight that I’m Scottish, so I suppose I can definitely say I am proud to be Scottish. Everyone seems to be a lot friendlier towards us once they find out where we are from. I don’t know if  that is because they love the Scots so much, or it’s more a case of a dislike for the English, who they may see as the face of being British.

Edited by luckyBatistuta

4 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Anybody ever asks us on holiday if we are English or British, I instantly put them straight that I’m Scottish, so I suppose I can definitely say I am proud to be Scottish. Everyone seems to be a lot friendlier towards us once they find out where we are from. I don’t know if  that is because they love the Scots so much, or it’s more a case of a dislike for the English, who they may see as the face of being British.

(In the US at least) it’s because they think you’re Irish.

”I love your accent - are you English?

”No, actually, I’m from Scotland”

”Oh, you’re Irish!

God only knows how the poor Welsh get on....

luckyBatistuta
5 minutes ago, FWJ said:

”Oh, you’re Irish!

Its the US we go to pretty much every year. They always go overboard friendly once we tell them we are from Scotland. As for the Welsh, the Americans will probably think they are from Australia.

Never considered myself British, only Scottish. Britain has done plenty good and plenty bad over the centuries but never ever considered being proud of it. Just can't wait to no.longer being a citizen 

2 hours ago, JackLadd said:

despite the annual cash tribute from London.

????? You really should stop reading the daily mail

The Real Maroonblood
2 hours ago, JackLadd said:

Scottish first and British second, but I support the union and will never get over the irony of nats who view the unaccountable and wasteful European Union as some mysterious panacea while the 300 year union with England and Wales is to be chucked in the bin despite the annual cash tribute from London. Offer me a republic and I might vote for it for a laugh just to wind up the sash community but otherwise no ta. I will stick with the British passport. 

Scotland should be grateful for cash from London.

:rofl:

SwindonJambo

I identify as both and hope we keep the Union though I rightly get no say in the matter. Should Scotland vote to split away in the future,  I hope it goes as well as possible.

When asked my nationality by foreigners, I always say Scottish because if I say British, most will assume I’m English , which I most certainly am not. I left my native Lanarkshire aged 14 and my original accent hasn’t budged an inch (I’m 52 on Saturday). 

I’m proud to be British overall but definitely not everything about it. Arms sales to the Saudis are shameful. I don’t like the dominance of London and I’ve no time for the Royal Family or expressing patriotism in a Rangers/Orange Walk type way. 

But overall I believe we’re not a bad country really compared to most others in the World.

AlphonseCapone
1 hour ago, FWJ said:

”Oh, you’re Irish!

What simpletons. 

1 hour ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Scotland should be grateful for cash from London.

:rofl:

Damn right we should. SNP want to PAY tribute to Brussels. Planting money trees as I type. 

Bridge of Djoum

The notion of being proud of something through the accident and randomness of birth has always baffled me.

Governor Tarkin
11 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

:spoton:

It's vanity to embrace either pride or shame in relation to events and outcomes in which you had no hand. 

Governor Tarkin
9 hours ago, FWJ said:

Plenty worse places.

And the English really are pretty good neighbours, when push comes to shove.

Also spot on. 

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
7 hours ago, AlphonseCapone said:

What simpletons. 

It's never something I've experienced. Been there loads, too. 

Governor Tarkin
12 hours ago, Der Kaiser said:

As someone who has no connections with England, Wales and Northern Ireland.....i can't say yes or no.

I'm Scottish. So is my family.

To even call myself British because my country borders another one would feel pretty ridiculous to me.

But I do love though the faux Brits on here who call themselves British just to stir up shit...mostly the god bless her majesty brigade with this love in for a rich family they don't know....those people are definitely British.....cos they're arseholes.

Call yourself what you want though. Call yourself a penguin if you like.

Thought you were a German, mate. :(

10 hours ago, Morgan said:

Proud to be Scottish, yes!

Proud to be British? (I live abroad and am horrendously embarrassed to be thought of as English), no thanks.

English people are, as a rule, very much disliked wherever I have resided.

I’ll take being Scottish (and in particular, from Edinburgh) every time.

Sums it up perfectly, 100% agree.

jack D and coke

I think it’s happened to us all in that whenever you go anywhere abroad people can be a little frosty until they realise you’re not English. Thats what british means to me. Add in those Rangers clowns and our diet hun element.

Everyone else will say they’re Scottish. 

Very occasionally.

When something happens like how people have responded to terrorist attacks or other traumas. I'm trying to think of a specific example when I was thinking that fairly recently. A very rare feeling. 

Very much think and feel Scottish. Proud might be pushing it though. Much more just align with people with no borders.