• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Cruyff Turn

• Section Q

• Bazzas right boot

Austin MacGlee
4 minutes ago, Barasa said:

I'd hope Souttar recognises he can be much better than English Championship level. I wouldn't be surprised if a reasonably well established Premiership club ended up buying him - a Newcastle, Crystal Palace etc. The Scottish market is cheap and if Souttar played down south clubs would be paying far more than the £3-5 million he'll probably end up going for. Alfie Mawson (same age, similar career appearances) going to Fulham for £20 million last summer shows that. 

I'd be astonished if an EPL team took him...I think he'll go to a high-end Championship club chasing promotion.

A_A wehatethehibs

If derby are after him, I expect other sides will also be looking at him. 

Can’t imagine these gutter journalistss actually thinks Rangers have any chance of getting the boy, he is contracted to 2022, is a young prospect unllike the past-it Lafferty they wasted a heap of cash on. He will be going to a higher level not making a sideways move for £6k a week over £4k a week. His old team mates Paterson and Robertson are on £40k and £100k a week respectively, Rangers are not close to the level Souttar will shortly be playing at and money he will be earning. Rangers can’t even compete with Celtic financially let alone English championship clubs. 

Hearts have 2 more seasons with the boy before we are in a “need to sell” situation but I suppose the Daily Rangers needs to keep the “people” interested after another barren season without silverware. Surely Rangers fans are actually sick of signing Hearts players after Wallace, Templeton, Black, Kyle, Holt, Wilson and Lafferty none of whom have been good signings? 

Tynecastle Valhalla

What do you think hearts would be tempted at ?

£3 mil

£3.5 mil

£ 4 mil

£5 mil +

personally I would consider selling for £4 mil with an add on percentage of next sale

assuming another player can come in and replace him

i actually think he is more suited to England than Scotland ??????? 

35 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Reckon souttar will be away in the summer. 

I think so. Think that’s why we moved for Halkett. 

I know we may not stop there in terms of signing defenders but you’re getting a proven SPL player. 

Not suggesting it’s like for like but should be a steady addition.  

34 minutes ago, Section Q said:

To be fair to Derby they showed interest in the last window. 

They've been long term admirers of him. This was from 2016..

Derby County manager Steve McClaren has revealed his interest in Hearts players Callum Paterson, Jamie Walker, John Souttar and Bjorn Johnsen

“Yes, people are talking about Paterson but the Souttar boy at centre-back, Johnsen up front and Walker boy playing out wide – there are about four players the scouts said, ‘yes, have a look at them’.

Edited by Cwapsy

48 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Reckon souttar will be away in the summer. 

The question you have to ask is do you really think he is enjoying his football or developing in that team at the moment? 

Levein’s signing policy is atrocious?

we are talking about a player on a three year contract where we may get £5m for but have no pressure to sell him. 

Lafferty, Berra, Naismith were all out of our league financially and proposition wise, but Levein persuaded them to come. And they stayed. 

While on-field tactis/structure hasn’t been good enough towards the attack, we have to give him credit for pitching the club to prospects. As finances stabilise, our player budget will improve and we should be able to target better quality, less risky deals. Losing Levein totally, may produce a greater tactician on the pitch, but we may struggle to attract players above our level as he has done in the past. 

Thats not a “keep Levein” statement but an observation on what we might lose. 

4 minutes ago, Sid said:

we are talking about a player on a three year contract where we may get £5m for but have no pressure to sell him. 

Lafferty, Berra, Naismith were all out of our league financially and proposition wise, but Levein persuaded them to come. And they stayed. 

While on-field tactis/structure hasn’t been good enough towards the attack, we have to give him credit for pitching the club to prospects. As finances stabilise, our player budget will improve and we should be able to target better quality, less risky deals. Losing Levein totally, may produce a greater tactician on the pitch, but we may struggle to attract players above our level as he has done in the past. 

Far too sensible a post.

Cruyff Turn

There will be a few more clubs than Rangers and Derby interested. They know that they won’t get him on the cheap either. 

I wouldn’t be turning down £5million or more for him tbh. As long as that money is re-invested in the first team, which it should be, it could completely transform our first XI. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
13 minutes ago, Jodami said:

The question you have to ask is do you really think he is enjoying his football or developing in that team at the moment? 

Easy yes and yes.

Needs to work now on his diagonal. 

Other players you could pick for that accusation but not Soapy

12 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

There will be a few more clubs than Rangers and Derby interested. They know that they won’t get him on the cheap either. 

I wouldn’t be turning down £5million or more for him tbh. As long as that money is re-invested in the first team, which it should be, it could completely transform our first XI. 

Correct English Premier League teams aswell ?

Edited by Bongo 1874

Pasquale for King
41 minutes ago, wallace_mercer said:

What do you think hearts would be tempted at ?

£3 mil

£3.5 mil

£ 4 mil

£5 mil +

personally I would consider selling for £4 mil with an add on percentage of next sale

assuming another player can come in and replace him

i actually think he is more suited to England than Scotland ??????? 

Definitely, we have Halkett coming in and we would then need another CH either or loan or permanent.

Pasquale for King
18 minutes ago, Sid said:

I’m sure we will still be able to sign players that will improve us, we have in the past and will again with or without Levein.

Berra was coming back anyway and was a Cathro signing, as was Lafferty, if you believe that Levein didn’t choose the players?

1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

I’m sure we will still be able to sign players that will improve us, we have in the past and will again with or without Levein.

Berra was coming back anyway and was a Cathro signing, as was Lafferty, if you believe that Levein didn’t choose the players?

Berra had already shaken hands on a deal with Levein before Cathro came in I believe. I’m sure Lafferty was a McPhee signing. 

Jambof3tornado
13 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Definitely, we have Halkett coming in and we would then need another CH either or loan or permanent.

Clevid?? 

14 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Easy yes and yes.

Needs to work now on his diagonal. 

Other players you could pick for that accusation but not Soapy

I think he has a lot of time for the manager but I don't understand why we regularly have midfielders dropping into the back 4 to carry the ball. Means there is one less target for a pass and Souttar is a better player than them anyway. Also been caught regularly, as has the entire defence, in situations when players run at them. 

Pasquale for King
15 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Berra had already shaken hands on a deal with Levein before Cathro came in I believe. I’m sure Lafferty was a McPhee signing. 

He was coming no matter who was in charge I believe, if he did that then it was an illegal approach as he was still under contract before Cathro came in. Do you mean to say Levein was signing players without the say so of our head coach?  Yes I’m sure Lafferty was probably a Macphee signing as was Tzolis/Hughes/Alvonitis/Struna and Vatjro got the blame for them. 

Edited by Pasquale for King

Pasquale for King
10 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Clevid?? 

We have went with 4 CHs this season and have 4 signed up for next season so if Souttar goes I would expect another coming in, all the players who have played at CH have missed games due to injury this season (Berra/Souttar/Smith/Dunne/Dikamona/Shaughnessy/Haring).

2 hours ago, BelgeJambo said:

Derby are under threat of a transfer embargo, so can't see them having 5 million to cough up unless by some miracle they get promoted to the EPL.

And, the Deed lot haven't got it

Record stirring the pot

At least they have now started the bidding at £5m though. It was £1m a week ago....

Edited by Jammy T

5 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

He was coming no matter who was in charge I believe, if he did that then it was an illegal approach as he was still under contract before Cathro came in. Do you mean to say Levein was signing players without the say so of our head coach?  Yes I’m sure Lafferty was probably a Macphee signing as was Tzolis/Hughes/Alvonitis/Struna and Vatjro got the blame for them. 

There is no disputing that Levein did the main signing negotiations. Others may have requested we attempt to sign them. The point I was making was that we couldn’t afford their terms and it was Levein who managed to get the de over the line. 

I have no doubt we will continue to sign good players and as our budget increases (and is possibly boosted by a chunky transfer fee from Souttar) the will be of a higher standard. 

Will we still bring in players above our budget/standard if he leaves fully?  

4 million plus would be great business. 

Probably go for about 3.5 million though. 

I reckon the money we get some will be reinvested the rest to go to youth development. 

We_are_the_Hearts
Just now, AlimOzturk said:

4 million plus would be great business. 

Probably go for about 3.5 million though. 

I reckon the money we get some will be reinvested the rest to go to youth development. 

More likely to go to Budges relative for Stand payments and for Levein to waste on injured players.

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, Sid said:

There is no disputing that Levein did the main signing negotiations. Others may have requested we attempt to sign them. The point I was making was that we couldn’t afford their terms and it was Levein who managed to get the de over the line. 

I have no doubt we will continue to sign good players and as our budget increases (and is possibly boosted by a chunky transfer fee from Souttar) the will be of a higher standard. 

Will we still bring in players above our budget/standard if he leaves fully?  

So Berra was coming no matter what, Naismith had us or Killie who he won’t play for on that pitch, Lafferty had a choice of us or Hibs, nobody was banging Uniteds door down for Souttar and we got him for £150k. Yet Levein somehow worked miracles to get them?

Yes we will attract good players,did he sign Rudi? Most managers will work the wage structure to get in a few top class players (Defoe, Naismith, Greg Stewart, Griffiths at Hibs). Maybe the budget will be bigger without so many drains on our resources like Sammon/Martin/Edwards/Doyle/Maclean/Wighton/Shaughnessy  etc without contributing a hell of a lot. The majority of the 100 odd signings he’s made, you seem to accept this, have been average to poor. 

Who knows if Souttar will be sold and for how much, his injuries and poor performances in big games will work against him. United might be due a sell on few too?

1 hour ago, Jodami said:

Probably best NOT to ask ourselves that question. lol.

1 hour ago, Cruyff Turn said:

It's just like the SMG money all over again!

1 hour ago, Sid said:

He only signed Souttar as he knew of him from his Utd day’s. Great signing, but hardly an example of great scouting. Likewise, Lafferty, Berra and Naismith were all great signings but again hardly evidence of effective scouting.

And herein lies the problem. Levein and his team seem incapable of properly scouting and identifying players of a suitable standard to improve us and take us to the level we aspire to be at. 

IMO John Souttar is a much better defender than Scott McKenna and if clubs are willing to offer £7mil for McKenna, we should be looking for more.

Could easily walk into a top 6 championship team and he will only get better with more games and experience under his belt.

Finlay James
26 minutes ago, amadjambo said:

He only signed Souttar as he knew of him from his Utd day’s. Great signing, but hardly an example of great scouting. Likewise, Lafferty, Berra and Naismith were all great signings but again hardly evidence of effective scouting.

And herein lies the problem. Levein and his team seem incapable of properly scouting and identifying players of a suitable standard to improve us and take us to the level we aspire to be at. 

Im confused, is it therefore good or bad to bring in good players?  Berra, Lafferty, Naismith, Souttar are all excellent signings but somehow making good signings is now being used as a stick to beat Levein with?

Inch Hearts
13 minutes ago, SectionN said:

IMO John Souttar is a much better defender than Scott McKenna and if clubs are willing to offer £7mil for McKenna, we should be looking for more.

Could easily walk into a top 6 championship team and he will only get better with more games and experience under his belt.

No he couldn’t.  He doesn’t really stand out in any big match for the team 6th in the Scottish Premiership.  When did he have a man of the match performance game against any of the old firm or even a derby?  Comparisons to Gordon is ludicrous.  He’s a top player for us but he would get rag-dolled down South in the Top 6 Championship.  Paterson was ready to leave for that level as he was stand out every match, Souttar isn’t. 

9 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

No he couldn’t.  He doesn’t really stand out in any big match for the team 6th in the Scottish Premiership.  When did he have a man of the match performance game against any of the old firm or even a derby?  Comparisons to Gordon is ludicrous.  He’s a top player for us but he would get rag-dolled down South in the Top 6 Championship.  Paterson was ready to leave for that level as he was stand out every match, Souttar isn’t. 

Rubbish. 

He's a classy player and wouldn't look out of place for a team at the lower end of the English Premiership. Folk are so quick to talk down the standard of football up here - of course there's a gap in quality, but it's nowhere near the chasm some make out. There's players a lot worse than Souttar who have made a decent career down south.

Cruyff Turn
43 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Yes it could transform our team but that would no doubt depend on who the manager is over the summer. 

I reckon that MacPhee, Daly with Naisy will jointly be running the show next season.

CL just overseeing and doing DoF duties. Imo of course Jonno.

Can’t see any new faces and can’t see CL still being officially manager. 

Cruyff Turn
1 hour ago, Boris said:

It's just like the SMG money all over again!

Except it’s ours to piss away on Petric’s and Tomasczech’s ?

King Joffrey

Can't see an opening bid of £5m. Lot of cash in England but doesn't make them daft. A bid of £2m-£3m with a sell on might be disappointing but think one Hearts would need to consider. We STILL haven't finished the stand, additional forecast revenue streams I'm gonna guess haven't arrived and we have next to no saleable assets after Souttar, building a pressure to move him on. 

Usual practice on here would now be to call me a troll or hibs fan. I'd love him to stay or move on for £6m. But just cannae see it.

What worries me like the SMG comment is what happens to the funds. Our model should be to invest a good proportion in 19-24 year old promising players. But fear more Cole Stocktons, Kenny Andersons and Craig Wightons incoming.

I'd actually like the money to fund a restart. Total clear out of Budge and her money back, Levein, MacPhee, Daly, Fox, Kirk, Murray the lot, plus pay off the dead wood players. Push boat out on a standout manager while binning the DoF nonsense position. Hand some funds towards a rebuild of the first team and recruitment infrastructure and back room. 

We are in a malaise and today brings yet another example where a push to sell out our ER allocation. The answer is we need more than YET ANOTHER window for the current management and Board. 

If we DID get £5m I have zero trust in Hearts as they are to use it wisely.

As for Souttar. Good player but limited difference between him and Halkett. Would love to see that partnership but think we just need funds. Despite what Levein says our first team needs a total overhaul all over the park. 

Inch Hearts
59 minutes ago, Barasa said:

Rubbish. 

He's a classy player and wouldn't look out of place for a team at the lower end of the English Premiership. Folk are so quick to talk down the standard of football up here - of course there's a gap in quality, but it's nowhere near the chasm some make out. There's players a lot worse than Souttar who have made a decent career down south.

To have a chance down at the end you are talking about you have to be a stand out week in week out for a club in at least the top 4 up here, even Armstrong struggles and Robertson went to Hull in the championship.   There is a lot worse players I agree but why would a team in the top six of the English championship or bottom tier of the EPL pay money for a player that barely stands out or gets man of the match in any match in Scotland?  Berra is still a bigger miss than Soapy.

Cup Final, who would you rather play, Berra or Souttar?

Sorry but many are vastly over rating the player. He will go for £2-3m and hopefully we get a sell on fee for him if he goes to build a career.  

Will he even be our poty finishing 6th?  He should be a stand out big time for some of the figures being brandished.

2 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Not if McCarthy has given it his blessing, which he had. And in any case do you honestly believe that illegal approaches don’t happen in football? More like the legal ones are rarer. 

In the case of Berra both the DoF and head coach at the time saw him as a must have future signing. Head coach wasn’t Cathro. 

17 minutes ago, King Joffrey said:

Can't see an opening bid of £5m. Lot of cash in England but doesn't make them daft. A bid of £2m-£3m with a sell on might be disappointing but think one Hearts would need to consider. We STILL haven't finished the stand, additional forecast revenue streams I'm gonna guess haven't arrived and we have next to no saleable assets after Souttar, building a pressure to move him on. 

Usual practice on here would now be to call me a troll or hibs fan. I'd love him to stay or move on for £6m. But just cannae see it.

What worries me like the SMG comment is what happens to the funds. Our model should be to invest a good proportion in 19-24 year old promising players. But fear more Cole Stocktons, Kenny Andersons and Craig Wightons incoming.

I'd actually like the money to fund a restart. Total clear out of Budge and her money back, Levein, MacPhee, Daly, Fox, Kirk, Murray the lot, plus pay off the dead wood players. Push boat out on a standout manager while binning the DoF nonsense position. Hand some funds towards a rebuild of the first team and recruitment infrastructure and back room. 

We are in a malaise and today brings yet another example where a push to sell out our ER allocation. The answer is we need more than YET ANOTHER window for the current management and Board. 

If we DID get £5m I have zero trust in Hearts as they are to use it wisely.

As for Souttar. Good player but limited difference between him and Halkett. Would love to see that partnership but think we just need funds. Despite what Levein says our first team needs a total overhaul all over the park. 

We should just give the money to JJ to spend on players. See if he has learned his lesson from the SMG fiasco. 

20 minutes ago, King Joffrey said:

If you bin everyone then who appoints the 'standout manager', Kickback?

Whilst we have a business person running the club, the DoF position will always be required. I'm not saying i want or that it needs to be CL but the position itself is still required.

Cruyff Turn
32 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

That would fit in with the 'promote from within' policy, but who knows what will happen. 

Big decisions over the summer for Mrs Budge and others. 

I like Craig Levein, but as the season has gone one he is looking more and more like yesterday's man with his ideas and tactics etc. 

The scouting doesn't fill me with confidence either.

CL is only involved with the first team Thursday, Friday at Riccarton and Saturday obviously. The rest of the days MacPhee and Daly are incharge. 

Big decisions on s to be made but I wouldn’t be against it. Definitely see him stepping back from all first team duties though. 

The scouting is a bit too hit and miss for me too. Too many gambles taken, not enough solid signings. For every Peter Haring we’re getting a few David Vaneceks. 

3 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

I wouldnt want Levein spending that much.

Didn't Derby show an interest in John McGinn but baulk at the price? As much as I dislike McGinn he's proven he's more than good enough for that level and would go for a lot more than Villa paid.  Maybe that'll make Derby think twice about trying to lowball us and get him on the cheap.  Even £5m isn't a lot to championship clubs so if they are confident he'd show up well, which he most likely would, I think they'd pay it.  Especially as clubs have already bid circa £7m for McKenna.

It's the sort of fee we should be looking for imo.

Cruyff Turn
40 minutes ago, Section Q said:

I wouldnt want Levein spending that much.

Depends who we spend it on.  I doubt he will be the one choosing the targets next season. Just a feeling. 

4 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

Both spot onp

4 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

So Berra was coming no matter what, Naismith had us or Killie who he won’t play for on that pitch, Lafferty had a choice of us or Hibs, nobody was banging Uniteds door down for Souttar and we got him for £150k. Yet Levein somehow worked miracles to get them?

Yes we will attract good players,did he sign Rudi? Most managers will work the wage structure to get in a few top class players (Defoe, Naismith, Greg Stewart, Griffiths at Hibs). Maybe the budget will be bigger without so many drains on our resources like Sammon/Martin/Edwards/Doyle/Maclean/Wighton/Shaughnessy  etc without contributing a hell of a lot. The majority of the 100 odd signings he’s made, you seem to accept this, have been average to poor. 

Who knows if Souttar will be sold and for how much, his injuries and poor performances in big games will work against him. United might be due a sell on few too?

FFS give it a rest, man.

It's about Souttar not Levein.

3 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Except it’s ours to piss away on Petric’s and Tomasczech’s ?

Quite liked big Bobby Tomahawk back in the day.

Petric not so much. 

rick witter
4 hours ago, Barasa said:

Rubbish. 

How come every time we come up against Rangers he looks like a scared wee boy. Souttar has a long long way to go before he could play in the premiership. 

He can get there definitely but would be better staying at Hearts to improve on his weaknesses.