Liverpool's Andy Robertson

Deodato

Watching MOTD2 and Liverpool are on fire, fire, fire. The team is gelling into title-winning shape.  Some statto might confirm this, but last time they won the league I'm sure a third of their team were Scots. This time, there's one: Andy Robertson. Reading his bio, he came through Queens Park and then Dundee United, does anyone have any memories of seeing him on the way up? Indeed, did we ever see this guy at Tynecastle? He's immense, so fast and so level headed. I'd be three feet high and rising if a Scotsman was to lift either (or both) the Premiership and Champions League trophies this year.

Grateful for any reflections on the star here. 

Deodato

chuck berrys hairline

Nothing special just in an overhyped league! A star would enhance Scotland, he doesn't do that. You see him against Kazakhstan/San Marino whatever game it was ? looked the multi million pound player that day ?

Jambo, Goodbye
15 minutes ago, chuck berrys hairline said:

Nothing special just in an overhyped league! A star would enhance Scotland, he doesn't do that. You see him against Kazakhstan/San Marino whatever game it was ? looked the multi million pound player that day ?

Having watched most of his games this season, he's been a standout. Consistent, hard-working and his quality and number of assists speak for themselves. 

Judging a player on how they perform for the most embarrassing national team in the world is like tasting, then rating your favorite food out of ten after it's been smeared on shite. 

rudi must stay
20 minutes ago, chuck berrys hairline said:

Robertson is a tremendous player. Shouldn't be forgotten he's a full back too, can't expect him to do what Bale has done for Wales etc

He will be a great player for Scotland

I dont see a lot of football since Sky lost the broadcast rights but we do get Cup and euro football.

I've seen a lot of Andy Robertson and I won't be surprised if he is accorded world class status in the future.

Just outstanding.

Seymour M Hersh
5 hours ago, chuck berrys hairline said:

Well that's about as wrong as you can get. 

He didn't play against Kazakhstan. And the entire team looked shell-shocked against San Marino.

How can you tell if he enhances Scotland when you can't even remember the games?

Liverpool fans watch him every week and have him as the best LB in the world. 

After a Utd-Liverpool game Jose Mourinho singled him out as incredible.

He'll most likely be in the EPL team of the year.

He was a starting LB in the champions league final last year and will be a starting LB in the champions league semi final (maybe a final) this year.

Yeah, but he's nothing special....

Jambof3tornado

What a steaming pile of horse poo post.

Holyrood_Hearts
6 hours ago, chuck berrys hairline said:

Haha good one! 

The Internet

I too would rather judge him on a couple of tragic Scotland games instead of multiple seasons at top club level. 

Ricardo Shillyshally

I'll take 26 mins in the next sweep

"Hard to believe that just a few short years ago we he playing part time football for Queen's Park"

copa-mundial

But he was too wee to make it as a footballer ?

You see how important he is to Liverpool and Klopp, when he's rested before big matches. 

Gary Neville can't praise this kid highly enough. 

When he (Neville) was part of the England coaching set up. They targeted Robertson as the weak link in the side. As his defending was questionable. 

A year later Neville was broadcast saying the change in Robertson was phenomenal. That good he put him in his premier league team of the season. 

As an above poster has said. He will definitely be in this season's premier league team of the season. 

He is still in with a chance of a league and champions league winners medal. 

Not often we can say this about Scottish players. 

gashauskis9
1 hour ago, Kiwidoug said:

I dont see a lot of football since Sky lost the broadcast rights but we do get Cup and euro football.

I've seen a lot of Andy Robertson and I won't be surprised if he is accorded world class status in the future.

Just outstanding.

Simply this.  Would go as far as saying that he’s the best LB in Europe at the moment.

11 minutes ago, copa-mundial said:

?

He is still in with a chance of a league and champions league winners medal. 

Not often we can say this about Scottish players. 

Last scottish player to do that would have been Darren Fletcher i think and that was a fair few seasons ago.

The Real Maroonblood
7 hours ago, chuck berrys hairline said:

:rofl:

A_A wehatethehibs

Top player, what we need is more Scottish players down there in that premier league. Robertson took his chance at Hull. Hope Cardiff and Southampton stay up so Paterson and Armstrong get another crack next season. Hope Villa go up so John McGinn gets himself in there. McTominay seems to be endearing himself to the Man United fans. 

These players experience shows you how tough it is, every player in world football wants to be in that league. You have to be top class, every performance, to make it at that level, and that’s what Robertson is. His unbelievable fitness is the basis for everything, I think he has to be the fittest player in the league down there and that is saying something because it is elite level athletes across the board. Robertson shows young Scottish players what is possible, it’s great for the boys at all the Scottish clubs to have that example.

chester copperpot

He is probably in the top 3 in the world at going forward.

Defensively though he still has a lot of work to do before he is classed world class.

All IMO though.

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, chester copperpot said:

He is probably in the top 3 in the world at going forward.

Defensively though he still has a lot of work to do before he is classed world class.

All IMO though.

That’s a fair assessment.

8 hours ago, lsimp77 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/26572819

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/24185043

The two games he played at Tynecastle in the season he was at Dundee United. In the game in September he played alongside Souttar. 

This is fascinating. 

Do you know how he was scouted to go down south? Did it begin with Dundee Utd or was he being tracked before then?

Unknown user
14 minutes ago, Deodato said:

This is fascinating. 

Do you know how he was scouted to go down south? Did it begin with Dundee Utd or was he being tracked before then?

I don't know for sure but I'd be surprised if he was being scouted before then. 

He was at queens park after being released by Celtic, it's doubtful that English teams were keeping their eye on a Celtic reject that went to an amateur club as a youth. After two years in the youths he only had 1 season in their first team before United came in for him, so I'd doubt his reputation would have got far. He was in that QP team the same season as the rangers were in the third division, and even they didn't pick up on him, so it clearly wasn't that obvious. 

He is a cracking player playing for one of the best teams in a very competitive league. Never looks out of place beside the “stars” and contributes a great deal. 

maroonshrew

Some people's disdain for the English and their league can manifest itself in some bizarre ways. Robertson is tremendous and while the PL is of course often over estimated by those in and around it (which is natural) this particular season is of the highest quality. Liverpool have a chance to make back to back CL finals and there's another English team in with a chance of making it there too. I'd say it's hard league to diminish this year.

9 hours ago, chuck berrys hairline said:

Considering this is arguably Liverpool’s best team since their 1988 team and he doesn’t look out of place and is one of their key players tells you how good he is. Constantly performs both domestically and in Europe. McLeish would make Messi look “nothing special.” 

letsalldothebeattie

Could see it when he was at United that he was destined to reach the very top. Although not a fan of Liverpool it is nice to see him being a standout for them week in week out. Will only get better as well

9 hours ago, chuck berrys hairline said:

At present and on current form he is one of the best defenders on the planet.

Thought Police

He was different class in Scotland. Not surprised in the slightest he’s reached the level he has.

10 minutes ago, benny said:

For some weird reason though his crossing is nothing special at international level.

Cracking player though.

Can't be easy when you've got the square route of **** all to cross to ?

alwaysthereinspirit
11 hours ago, chuck berrys hairline said:

No internet for you. One week.

104531669-soupnazi-1.530x298.jpg?v=1497538075

maroonnicky63
13 hours ago, chuck berrys hairline said:

Ha ha what a load of horse dung you talk, he is a class act and we are lucky to have him , even wanting to play for the national team under this load of over paid goats at the top says a lot for the lad. 

J.T.F.Robertson
9 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

Install an Amazon Firestick - download the Mobdro app and Boab's yir uncle.

No questions though, it was my mate did the needful for me. :(

Lord Beni of Gorgie

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/25164021

The Tannadice game was a doing. Looking at that United side, how miserable must their fans be at present. Some ordinary players there too.

Robertson fits very well into the Liverpool side and style of play, be interesting to see him elsewhere.

Scotland need to focus on getting the best out of some very talented players. World Class is subjective stuff, objective is getting them performing at their best levels

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
1 hour ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

Download filelinked, put in one of the codes here https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://dimitrology.com/2018/06/01/all-the-best-filelinked-codes/amp/&ved=2ahUKEwjr4YGAjOnhAhWDShUIHVMKC88QFjAAegQIAxAB&usg=AOvVaw1NH8HPA-U8F3KUpRJPVGZZ&ampcf=1

and, depending on your Internet speed, should be there in 5 minutes. 

16 hours ago, chuck berrys hairline said:

I dislike Liverpool as much as the next fully-functioning adult but this post is drivel. Don't particularly like Dundee Utd or Hull either. The boy is brilliant, anyone who has ever had to play full back or football at any level would know that.

19 hours ago, chuck berrys hairline said:

Its like people watch a different ****ing game...

11 hours ago, maroonshrew said:

Some people's disdain for the English and their league can manifest itself in some bizarre ways. Robertson is tremendous and while the PL is of course often over estimated by those in and around it (which is natural) this particular season is of the highest quality. Liverpool have a chance to make back to back CL finals and there's another English team in with a chance of making it there too. I'd say it's hard league to diminish this year.

I don't understand the English fascination with saying the EPL is the "best league in the World". It is to anybody who supports a team in it perhaps, but you won't find a Napoli, Ajax or Dinamo Minsk supporter giving a toss...

Certainly Liverpool and Man City are both bossing the rest to an unprecedented level. The next 4 are having a decent race for the other 2 CL places, but primarily because none of them seem to want them! Wolves & Leicester look promising if inconsistent, and Everton & Watford can be good or rotten but all are some way off the top 6.  The rest are horse though...

If they put bottom 3 down automatically and put the next bottom 2 into the Championship playoffs it might be a better league from 7th down?

Edited by Spellczech

12 hours ago, Deodato said:

This is fascinating. 

According to Kenny Miller (a Journalist not the player) on this Nutmeg Podcast  the only teams interested in him when he left Queens Park were Dundee United, St Johnstone and Partick Thistle. 

Miller, who's a Hibs fan, also says he recommended Robertson to Pat Fenlon only for Fenlon to say "Why would I need some kid from Queen's Park when I have Ryan McGivern.

10 hours ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

Send your mate over here pronto Jim.  I can hardly operate the telly remote.?

The Internet
11 hours ago, Spellczech said:

I don't understand the English fascination with saying the EPL is the "best league in the World". It is to anybody who supports a team in it perhaps, but you won't find a Napoli, Ajax or Dinamo Minsk supporter giving a toss...

Certainly Liverpool and Man City are both bossing the rest to an unprecedented level. The next 4 are having a decent race for the other 2 CL places, but primarily because none of them seem to want them! Wolves & Leicester look promising if inconsistent, and Everton & Watford can be good or rotten but all are some way off the top 6.  The rest are horse though...

If they put bottom 3 down automatically and put the next bottom 2 into the Championship playoffs it might be a better league from 7th down?

Tbf, apart from martin tyler and other sky soundbite machines, I only hear the 'best league in the world' chat from Scottish people who hate the English leagues and try to put them down. There's lots of good teams in there though and as someone who watches too much football it is my favourite league to watch. 

maroonshrew
15 hours ago, Spellczech said:

I guess I don't think there is a fascination to call it that. It's used as a pithy soundbyte to sell it. I'd wager than commentators around Europe say similar with regards to 'it doesnt get better than this' type comment. I don't know many English fans who would argue, or like you point out even care, about whether the PL was technically the best league or not. 

I also don't think many fans, me included, watch anywhere near enough european football to know that much anyway. Can't say I've ever sat down and taken in Lille vs Guingamp or Elche vs Huesca. 

Genuinely, as an Englishman living between Scotland and England for 20 years, I hear more 'best league in the world' debate and comment north of the border than I do south of it. 

On 24/04/2019 at 11:59, alwaysthereinspirit said:

No internet for you. One week.

104531669-soupnazi-1.530x298.jpg?v=1497538075

Only people who have seen that episode of Seinfeld will understand why this Is So funny 

Hat tip to Robertson, not many defenders have faced a three on one situation with the combined value of the three players being worth more than most leagues combined. Incredible - in the Nou Camp as well. 

Take

A

Bow

He's a fantastic player. 

As with James McCarthy you have to laugh at Celtic missing out on two Celtic fans they could have got for relative pennies if they were only willing to pay proper transfer fees to other Scottish clubs. Glad they didn't but still, red faces all round for them again.

Radio Ga Ga
3 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

He's a fantastic player. 

As with James McCarthy you have to laugh at Celtic missing out on two Celtic fans they could have got for relative pennies if they were only willing to pay proper transfer fees to other Scottish clubs. Glad they didn't but still, red faces all round for them again.

Celtic released Robertson as youngster before he ended up at Queens Park?

jambos are go!

Apparently not rated at Queens Park who were surprised when Dundee United picked him up.