1956 Cup Final

bigdav

132goals1958
13 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Who's that?

Initials?

BS who is going to be on our bus. for the final. Cmon there are not many older than me.

1 minute ago, 132goals1958 said:

BS who is going to be on our bus. for the final. Cmon there are not many older than me.

Thought so.

The youngest looking septuagenarians in Edinburgh.

colinmaroon

As I've said before, been at every Cup Final since 56 except 2012!!!

Just out of hospital after ambulance due to severe back pain (disc).  Nearly killed myself at home when Barr scored the first!

132goals1958
4 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Thought so.

The youngest looking septuagenarians in Edinburgh.

? My thoughts also

dkmmgcycbwc
On ‎23‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 01:42, georgiehearts66 said:

The first final I was allowed to attend, was the 1954 League cup win. I don't remember much and like many kids of that time attending a football match with my Dad, was generally predicated whether I could be squeezed into or lifted over the turnstile. By the 1955-56 season I was pretty regular attendee and until that season, the only restriction put on me by my Mom, was Celtic and Rangers games.

The first Rangers game I attended was the 4-0 win in the cup run and one of my uncles was a hibs supporter and was able to get us tickets for the stand for semi/replays against Raith Rovers. So was allowed to attend. It should be noted that in these days, there was a maximum wage and subsequently teams were generally much closer together regarding performance. That being said I rarely attended a match when Hearts lost. 

My birthday is the 25th May (who knows what that may portend this year regarding a present) and I at every occasion...as only a near eight year old with the tenacity of a constantly logical statement that  I was a lucky mascot...hounded my father relentlessly. As it happens, another uncle, this one a Jambo, who was involved in the SFA had got tickets for the stand, for his son, my Dad and my two older brothers. Three days before the game, my cousin cycling down Corstorphine hill to Queensferry Road, school satchel slipped off his shoulder into his front fork and was lucky, to only suffer, concussion a broken arm and a badly bruised leg.

My mother's wee boy was going to Hampden.

I have vivid memories of the day. The game was exciting... especially the second half... but not brilliant football. There was a period after Celtic scored which modern supporters would recognize. However, Hearts weathered the storm and Alfie Conn thumped one of his Raspers to close the game. Probably the best ten minutes of my life until an encounter with a girl from Currie some years later. I would be back to celebrate, Third Lanark LC final. Losing finals both SC and LC. The last attendance JJ's win with my brother in 1998. A match that few believed we would win. Indeed, we were a wee bit lucky to win, if truth be told. Hopefully we can replicate that commited performance and result. What I do know is that no Hearts team ever goes on the park, without a plan that they believe will achieve a positive result. Let's hope its a great day out for another eight year old Hearts fan this year. It's a cup final and an honor to be there and everything to play for.

The forum is overflowing in  negative crap, which those who inundate state is their freedom of expression. I point of view which I fully concur. Nevertheless, there are a small group of posters with twenty plus contributions to similar threads, stating exactly the same thing, whom believe they speak for a majority. Perhaps a self imposed  limit of three posts per thread until the end of the season could lighten the mood and heighten the positive reality that we are in the final and as its football, everything to play for.

When we win, this will be our 5th win in my 71 years and 8th final.  My dad, at the same age had experienced 1 win, full stop.

Can't help but wonder what the jinx was on the Massie/Walker side.

Sadly, there's no one alive today to tell us.

Well remember the 1956 euphoria.  Relatives like my mother, aunties and grandparents were thrilled even although they had no real interest in football.

dkmmgcycbwc

Good interesting stuff. Very minor point; I don't think we ever had a maximum wage in Scotland. When England abolished theirs it caused a massive drift of all our best players to England..

Hearts Heritage

The 1956 Cup Final aside that great side from the 1950s had a shocking record in the Scottish Cup.

Only reached 2 SFs in 1952 and 1953

Sat 15 Mar 1947 Arbroath 2 Hearts 1    QF    
Sat 07 Feb 1948 Airdrieonians 2 Hearts 1    R2    
Sat 05 Mar 1949 Hearts 2 Dundee 4    QF    
Sat 11 Feb 1950 Aberdeen 3 Hearts 1    R2    
Sat 24 Feb 1951 Hearts 1 Celtic 2    R3    
Wed 09 Apr 1952 Motherwell 3 Hearts 1    SF    R2
Sat 04 Apr 1953 Rangers 2 Hearts 1    SF 

Sat 13 Mar 1954 Aberdeen 3 Hearts 0    QF    
Wed 09 Mar 1955 Aberdeen 2 Hearts 0    QF    R
Sat 02 Feb 1957 Hearts 0 Rangers 4    R5    
Sat 01 Mar 1958 Hearts 3 Hibernian 4    R2    
Sat 14 Feb 1959 Rangers 3 Hearts 2    R2    
Wed 24 Feb 1960 Kilmarnock 2 Hearts 1    R1    R
Sat 11 Mar 1961 Hearts 0 St Mirren 1    QF    
Sat 17 Feb 1962 Hearts 3 Celtic 4    R3    
Wed 06 Mar 1963 Celtic 3 Hearts 1    R2    
Wed 19 Feb 1964 Hearts 1 Motherwell 2    R3    R
Sat 06 Mar 1965 Motherwell 1 Hearts 0    R3    
Wed 09 Mar 1966 Celtic 3 Hearts 1    QF    R
Sat 28 Jan 1967 Hearts 0 Dundee United 3    R1

Which was a remarkable compared to their record in the League Cup which was arguably a far harder cup to win due to seeded nature of the sections.

doctor jambo
On 22/04/2019 at 20:16, N Lincs Jambo said:

Christ Jonno, what if we had lost???? ?

Pegging

willie wallace

I can still remember crying when my dad told me 2yr.olds weren't allowed at cup finals? 

He said that the bus went through Harthill and there were people out in the streets cheering us on.

No surprise there.

Craig Herbertson
On 23/04/2019 at 01:42, georgiehearts66 said:

The first final I was allowed to attend, was the 1954 League cup win. I don't remember much and like many kids of that time attending a football match with my Dad, was generally predicated whether I could be squeezed into or lifted over the turnstile. By the 1955-56 season I was pretty regular attendee and until that season, the only restriction put on me by my Mom, was Celtic and Rangers games.

The first Rangers game I attended was the 4-0 win in the cup run and one of my uncles was a hibs supporter and was able to get us tickets for the stand for semi/replays against Raith Rovers. So was allowed to attend. It should be noted that in these days, there was a maximum wage and subsequently teams were generally much closer together regarding performance. That being said I rarely attended a match when Hearts lost. 

My birthday is the 25th May (who knows what that may portend this year regarding a present) and I at every occasion...as only a near eight year old with the tenacity of a constantly logical statement that  I was a lucky mascot...hounded my father relentlessly. As it happens, another uncle, this one a Jambo, who was involved in the SFA had got tickets for the stand, for his son, my Dad and my two older brothers. Three days before the game, my cousin cycling down Corstorphine hill to Queensferry Road, school satchel slipped off his shoulder into his front fork and was lucky, to only suffer, concussion a broken arm and a badly bruised leg.

My mother's wee boy was going to Hampden.

I have vivid memories of the day. The game was exciting... especially the second half... but not brilliant football. There was a period after Celtic scored which modern supporters would recognize. However, Hearts weathered the storm and Alfie Conn thumped one of his Raspers to close the game. Probably the best ten minutes of my life until an encounter with a girl from Currie some years later. I would be back to celebrate, Third Lanark LC final. Losing finals both SC and LC. The last attendance JJ's win with my brother in 1998. A match that few believed we would win. Indeed, we were a wee bit lucky to win, if truth be told. Hopefully we can replicate that commited performance and result. What I do know is that no Hearts team ever goes on the park, without a plan that they believe will achieve a positive result. Let's hope its a great day out for another eight year old Hearts fan this year. It's a cup final and an honor to be there and everything to play for.

The forum is overflowing in  negative crap, which those who inundate state is their freedom of expression. I point of view which I fully concur. Nevertheless, there are a small group of posters with twenty plus contributions to similar threads, stating exactly the same thing, whom believe they speak for a majority. Perhaps a self imposed  limit of three posts per thread until the end of the season could lighten the mood and heighten the positive reality that we are in the final and as its football, everything to play for.

Top class post. 

On 23/04/2019 at 15:16, nathan brittles said:

I have attended 6 cup finals-1956,1976,1986,1998,2006 and 2012.

For the 1956 final we travelled through by train ( my dad,me at 18 and my pal at 17 ) In those days Hearts were comfortable against all comers and usually confident that one or other of the Terrible Trio would put the opposition to the sword.

On 23/04/2019 at 15:16, nathan brittles said:

This was one of the peaks during a golden period for Hearts.

I wish i could say I was going to the next final with as much expectation as I had in 1956 but sadly I think this time I'll be hoping for good fortune rather than a winning performance.On the other hand !!!!!!!!

That’s great memories .... might be best that you missed ‘68 & ‘96 (bad days) although for me they (the misery) added to the joy in ‘98!!

Bad times make the good times good!!

Tommy Brown
4 hours ago, Scott980612 said:

Random one this but thought this thread be good as any to bring it up. 

Which badge did hearts use in1956 ?  

And does anyone know when hearts first played with the badge  on the strip? 

Badges were not regular until late 70s.

https://londonhearts.com/scores/spics/1978-7902.htm

78/79 season was the first year, been on the strip since, in one form or another.

Edited by Tommy Brown

In 1956 I was in the Royal Scots doing National Service and due to be demobbed at the end of June. I missed most of 55-56 season as we were stationed in Egypt, but due to return to the UK to be based in Elgin in November 55, so I was looking forward to catching some of the second part of the season. However, Cyprus kicked off and being in the zone we were swiftly drafted over to Paphos. Eventually, we were relieved by The Royal Marine Commandos  in February 1956 and I got home in time to see the demolition of Rangers 4-0 at Tynecastle. Unfortunately, I was on duty when we beat Raith Rovers after a replay in the semi, but was able to get down to get a ticket for the final, standing in a queue that started behind the old stand and wound round  the school end terracing out through the Wheatfield gates and along Wheatfield Place and up to Robertson Avenue.

Back in Elgin, being an Edinburgh Regiment, the Top Brass issued a statement stating that anyone who had a ticket had leave to go as they knew they would have mass desertions on their hands, and we left behind a skeleton staff of Hibees, Rangers and non footy fans. The game itself was the best I have ever been to, and to see the cup won for the first time in my life was unbelievable!. Ironically, they goal scored against in the 3-1 victory  was the only one we conceded in that years competition, and it was scored by Mike Haughney a defender drafted in as an emergency inside right. There have been many great games since notably the 5-1 against Hibs but the 1956 Final will stay in my memory for ever. 

6 minutes ago, eusabio said:

In 1956 I was in the Royal Scots doing National Service and due to be demobbed at the end of June. I missed most of 55-56 season as we were stationed in Egypt, but due to return to the UK to be based in Elgin in November 55, so I was looking forward to catching some of the second part of the season. However, Cyprus kicked off and being in the zone we were swiftly drafted over to Paphos. Eventually, we were relieved by The Royal Marine Commandos  in February 1956 and I got home in time to see the demolition of Rangers 4-0 at Tynecastle. Unfortunately, I was on duty when we beat Raith Rovers after a replay in the semi, but was able to get down to get a ticket for the final, standing in a queue that started behind the old stand and wound round  the school end terracing out through the Wheatfield gates and along Wheatfield Place and up to Robertson Avenue.

Back in Elgin, being an Edinburgh Regiment, the Top Brass issued a statement stating that anyone who had a ticket had leave to go as they knew they would have mass desertions on their hands, and we left behind a skeleton staff of Hibees, Rangers and non footy fans. The game itself was the best I have ever been to, and to see the cup won for the first time in my life was unbelievable!. Ironically, they goal scored against in the 3-1 victory  was the only one we conceded in that years competition, and it was scored by Mike Haughney a defender drafted in as an emergency inside right. There have been many great games since notably the 5-1 against Hibs but the 1956 Final will stay in my memory for ever. 

I’m so jealous ... you are a very lucky Jambo!!

Mr Elwood P
23 minutes ago, eusabio said:

Great post. Thank you for sharing it.

Jambothump
On 22/04/2019 at 19:08, jonnothejambo said:

Now here is something. 

My late Dad was there and the final that year was in April 1956. 

I was born in January 1957. 

Looks like my old man had a good day....

That's same for me☺

Maple Leaf
3 hours ago, eusabio said:

Great post and you're older than me, so please post more often.  :clap:

Eusabio's post is great and I learned something in particular.  I had no idea that games were ticketed in those days.  I thought you just turned up and hoped for the best.  I know my dad went up to Aberdeen for a Wed night replay and was locked out along with thousands of others.

I did see a massive queue at tynecastle one day but I thought that was well after 1956.

Enzo Chiefo
6 hours ago, eusabio said:

Excellent post Eusabio. Great memories to have.

On 22/04/2019 at 19:40, kila said:

Brilliant. Thanks for posting that - very different event from the football we know today.

My old dad always told me the reception the team received back in Edinburgh when they won the cup in 1956 was fantastic... a wonderful night in Princess Street, but both he and my uncle both admitted the reception the players received in 1998 completely overwhelmed that

upgotheheads

Willie Bauld skipping across the pitch after the goal. One of my favourite bits of football film.

14 hours ago, Hearts_Museum said:

The 1956 Cup Final aside that great side from the 1950s had a shocking record in the Scottish Cup.

Only reached 2 SFs in 1952 and 1953

Sat 15 Mar 1947 Arbroath 2 Hearts 1    QF    
Sat 07 Feb 1948 Airdrieonians 2 Hearts 1    R2    
Sat 05 Mar 1949 Hearts 2 Dundee 4    QF    
Sat 11 Feb 1950 Aberdeen 3 Hearts 1    R2    
Sat 24 Feb 1951 Hearts 1 Celtic 2    R3    
Wed 09 Apr 1952 Motherwell 3 Hearts 1    SF    R2
Sat 04 Apr 1953 Rangers 2 Hearts 1    SF 

Sat 13 Mar 1954 Aberdeen 3 Hearts 0    QF    
Wed 09 Mar 1955 Aberdeen 2 Hearts 0    QF    R
Sat 02 Feb 1957 Hearts 0 Rangers 4    R5    
Sat 01 Mar 1958 Hearts 3 Hibernian 4    R2    
Sat 14 Feb 1959 Rangers 3 Hearts 2    R2    
Wed 24 Feb 1960 Kilmarnock 2 Hearts 1    R1    R
Sat 11 Mar 1961 Hearts 0 St Mirren 1    QF    
Sat 17 Feb 1962 Hearts 3 Celtic 4    R3    
Wed 06 Mar 1963 Celtic 3 Hearts 1    R2    
Wed 19 Feb 1964 Hearts 1 Motherwell 2    R3    R
Sat 06 Mar 1965 Motherwell 1 Hearts 0    R3    
Wed 09 Mar 1966 Celtic 3 Hearts 1    QF    R
Sat 28 Jan 1967 Hearts 0 Dundee United 3    R1

Which was a remarkable compared to their record in the League Cup which was arguably a far harder cup to win due to seeded nature of the sections.

Looking at 1957, a complete reversal of the 1956 result, have we ever made a decent fist of defending the Scottish Cup? 

Hearts Heritage
5 hours ago, Shaggy2 said:

Looking at 1957, a complete reversal of the 1956 result, have we ever made a decent fist of defending the Scottish Cup? 

Only in 1907 when they got to the Final to lose 3-0 Celtic. The team in the final was hampered by missing Captain Charlie Thomson who had picked up an illness prior to the game.

Edited by Hearts_Museum
Illness rather than injury

1 hour ago, Hearts_Museum said:

Only in 1907 when they got to the Final to lose 3-0 Celtic. The team in the final was hampered by missing Captain Charlie Thomson who had picked up an illness prior to the game.

Thanks. A wee bit unrelated but Charlie Thomson was my legend at my FoH plot ceremony. Guid Pans laddie who wouldn’t have given up easily!

Edited by Shaggy2

avhudtheteeshirt

I had the commemorative program from the first game after the final, the front cover was full of newspaper headlines of the famous win.

Inside it had stories about the different players, but remember the story of Willie Bauld always waving to an old lady at her window every day on way to training.

Must check the attic to see if its squirreled up there!!!

23 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

When we win, this will be our 5th win in my 71 years and 8th final.  My dad, at the same age had experienced 1 win, full stop.

Can't help but wonder what the jinx was on the Massie/Walker side.

Sadly, there's no one alive today to tell us.

Well remember the 1956 euphoria.  Relatives like my mother, aunties and grandparents were thrilled even although they had no real interest in football.

15 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

Eusabio's post is great and I learned something in particular.  I had no idea that games were ticketed in those days.  I thought you just turned up and hoped for the best.  I know my dad went up to Aberdeen for a Wed night replay and was locked out along with thousands of others.

I did see a massive queue at tynecastle one day but I thought that was well after 1956.

Hi Doug, you are correct that most games were pay at the gate, but not cup semis, or finals due to high demand. Internationals were particularly difficult but I was fortunate enough to get Wembley tickets 3 times. Incidentally the price of entry to the terracing for league games was slightly more than a pint of heavy. Happy days.Eusabio