1956 Cup Final

bigdav

I know a lot of people have been at 7 scottish cup finals but is there many going to this one who were there in 56? My dad was there aged 14,going on May 25th.

132goals1958
1 minute ago, bigdav said:

I know a lot of people have been at 7 scottish cup finals but is there many going to this one who were there in 56? My dad was there aged 14,going on May 25th.

I was there with my uncle. Twelve year old at the time and one of the 132000 who were crammed into Hampden. Was way at the back and was like looking down on a subuteo table 

N Lincs Jambo
8 minutes ago, bigdav said:

I believe there are one or two posters on here who were there in 56. It would be great to hear their memories of that day. From the little I’ve heard 133,000 crowd of which about 60k were Jambos, no segregation and no trouble. Interestingly we’ve only played Celtic in 3 finals and have won 2. It’s amazing that we’ve not met them in the final for 63 years.

ps was writing that before I saw 132goals1958’s post ?

Edited by N Lincs Jambo
See above

132goals1958
4 minutes ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

I believe there are one or two posters on here who were there in 56. It would be great to hear their memories of that day. From the little I’ve heard 133,000 crowd of which about 60k were Jambos, no segregation and no trouble. Interestingly we’ve only played Celtic in 3 finals and have won 2. It’s amazing that we’ve not met them in the final for 63 years.

A friend of mine who is slightly older than me went on a bus organised by the school with parents and teachers. Doubt if that would ever happen now. Hopefully an omen but he is going to be my company this time .

N Lincs Jambo
Just now, 132goals1958 said:

A friend of mine who is slightly older than me went on a bus organised by the school with parents and teachers. Doubt if that would ever happen now. Hopefully an omen but he is going to be my company this time .

Here’s hoping! ?

Tommy Brown

Wouldn't it be fitting, to win this in tribute to the recently departed captain, Freddie Glidden.

Same score please, but 1-0 would do just as well. Penalties even.

5 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Now here is something. 

My late Dad was there and the final that year was in April 1956. 

I was born in January 1957. 

Looks like my old man had a good day....

?

N Lincs Jambo
7 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Now here is something. 

Christ Jonno, what if we had lost???? ?

iwasthere1954

I was at the league cup final in 1954 but my father would not allow me to go to the 1956 final as in his words "too dangerous."

I listened to the game on the radio with my mother who used to go to games at that time. 

N Lincs Jambo
1 minute ago, jonnothejambo said:

:rofl:

Brilliant.

Very glad we didn’t Jonno, not so much for the victory but I can’t imagine JKB without its resident poet laureate ?

132goals1958

Like many others I had a big rosette that day.They used to be attached to wooden styled boards . Wonder if they will ever come back 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
32 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Now here is something. 

A good day but at what price Jonno  :)

been here before
41 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Now here is something. 

Unless....

...nah better not ?

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Can you imagine the Tommy Walker thread.

Thumped home and away to Aberdeen in the League Cup. Beaten at home by Hibs. Thrashed at Ibrox defeated by Queen of the South and St Mirren then held scoreless in the semi final with Raith. 

Can you imagine 

I've seen Hearts win the SC four times, including the 1956 win over Celtic, our first SC win in about 50 years.

But I will not be there this year. 

portobellojambo1

I wasn't at the 1956 final but was told I was in Princes Street to see the team returning, although have no memories of it. The game was played in April 1956 and I was only born 2 months earlier.

N Lincs Jambo

You’re similar to my eldest daughter then PBJ. She was at the 98 final in a womb with no view. Must have enjoyed it though as she was at Hampden with me v ICT and is well up for the final if I can get us tickets ?

davemclaren
2 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

I've seen Hearts win the SC four times, including the 1956 win over Celtic, our first SC win in about 50 years.

But I will not be there this year. 

Shame about that. I’ll give the team a cheer for you. ?

2 hours ago, been here before said:

Unless....

...nah better not ?

Home alone, empty house, husband occupied all afternoon.... :whistling:

This could be a cracking thread. Hopefully some of our more experienced posters can add a little colour for us that weren't there.

Edited by Notts1874

Tommy Brown
1 hour ago, tian447 said:

Home alone, empty house, husband occupied all afternoon.... :whistling:

Yip, Johno has a remarkable resemblance to the coalman.

He enjoyed a lot of deliveries that day   :whistling:

georgiehearts66

The first final I was allowed to attend, was the 1954 League cup win. I don't remember much and like many kids of that time attending a football match with my Dad, was generally predicated whether I could be squeezed into or lifted over the turnstile. By the 1955-56 season I was pretty regular attendee and until that season, the only restriction put on me by my Mom, was Celtic and Rangers games.

The first Rangers game I attended was the 4-0 win in the cup run and one of my uncles was a hibs supporter and was able to get us tickets for the stand for semi/replays against Raith Rovers. So was allowed to attend. It should be noted that in these days, there was a maximum wage and subsequently teams were generally much closer together regarding performance. That being said I rarely attended a match when Hearts lost. 

My birthday is the 25th May (who knows what that may portend this year regarding a present) and I at every occasion...as only a near eight year old with the tenacity of a constantly logical statement that  I was a lucky mascot...hounded my father relentlessly. As it happens, another uncle, this one a Jambo, who was involved in the SFA had got tickets for the stand, for his son, my Dad and my two older brothers. Three days before the game, my cousin cycling down Corstorphine hill to Queensferry Road, school satchel slipped off his shoulder into his front fork and was lucky, to only suffer, concussion a broken arm and a badly bruised leg.

My mother's wee boy was going to Hampden.

I have vivid memories of the day. The game was exciting... especially the second half... but not brilliant football. There was a period after Celtic scored which modern supporters would recognize. However, Hearts weathered the storm and Alfie Conn thumped one of his Raspers to close the game. Probably the best ten minutes of my life until an encounter with a girl from Currie some years later. I would be back to celebrate, Third Lanark LC final. Losing finals both SC and LC. The last attendance JJ's win with my brother in 1998. A match that few believed we would win. Indeed, we were a wee bit lucky to win, if truth be told. Hopefully we can replicate that commited performance and result. What I do know is that no Hearts team ever goes on the park, without a plan that they believe will achieve a positive result. Let's hope its a great day out for another eight year old Hearts fan this year. It's a cup final and an honor to be there and everything to play for.

The forum is overflowing in  negative crap, which those who inundate state is their freedom of expression. I point of view which I fully concur. Nevertheless, there are a small group of posters with twenty plus contributions to similar threads, stating exactly the same thing, whom believe they speak for a majority. Perhaps a self imposed  limit of three posts per thread until the end of the season could lighten the mood and heighten the positive reality that we are in the final and as its football, everything to play for.

2 hours ago, dannymack said:

cf30.jpg

IMG_20181117_193803.jpg

I assume that’s you in the shorts? Look the same just less hair ....

2 hours ago, georgiehearts66 said:

The first final I was allowed to attend, was the 1954 League cup win. I don't remember much and like many kids of that time attending a football match with my Dad, was generally predicated whether I could be squeezed into or lifted over the turnstile. By the 1955-56 season I was pretty regular attendee and until that season, the only restriction put on me by my Mom, was Celtic and Rangers games.

The first Rangers game I attended was the 4-0 win in the cup run and one of my uncles was a hibs supporter and was able to get us tickets for the stand for semi/replays against Raith Rovers. So was allowed to attend. It should be noted that in these days, there was a maximum wage and subsequently teams were generally much closer together regarding performance. That being said I rarely attended a match when Hearts lost. 

My birthday is the 25th May (who knows what that may portend this year regarding a present) and I at every occasion...as only a near eight year old with the tenacity of a constantly logical statement that  I was a lucky mascot...hounded my father relentlessly. As it happens, another uncle, this one a Jambo, who was involved in the SFA had got tickets for the stand, for his son, my Dad and my two older brothers. Three days before the game, my cousin cycling down Corstorphine hill to Queensferry Road, school satchel slipped off his shoulder into his front fork and was lucky, to only suffer, concussion a broken arm and a badly bruised leg.

I have vivid memories of the day. The game was exciting... especially the second half... but not brilliant football. There was a period after Celtic scored which modern supporters would recognize. However, Hearts weathered the storm and Alfie Conn thumped one of his Raspers to close the game. Probably the best ten minutes of my life until an encounter with a girl from Currie some years later. I would be back to celebrate, Third Lanark LC final. Losing finals both SC and LC. The last attendance JJ's win with my brother in 1998. A match that few believed we would win. Indeed, we were a wee bit lucky to win, if truth be told. Hopefully we can replicate that commited performance and result. What I do know is that no Hearts team ever goes on the park, without a plan that they believe will achieve a positive result. Let's hope its a great day out for another eight year old Hearts fan this year. It's a cup final and an honor to be there and everything to play for.

The forum is overflowing in  negative crap, which those who inundate state is their freedom of expression. I point of view which I fully concur. Nevertheless, there are a small group of posters with twenty plus contributions to similar threads, stating exactly the same thing, whom believe they speak for a majority. Perhaps a self imposed  limit of three posts per thread until the end of the season could lighten the mood and heighten the positive reality that we are in the final and as its football, everything to play for.

Great stuff.  Thanks for posting.

Some of your memories are similar to mine.  The 1954 LC final against Motherwell, the 1956 SC final especially.

Like you, I was forbidden to attend any OF game because of the sectarian bile and the overall vileness of the fans.  It's not a modern phenomenon. 

I, too, was at the 4-0 game against Rangers and remember the rivers of piss running down the terracing in what would be, today, the Wheatfield stand.  When I got home I had to throw away my shoes. The OF fans were a disgrace then and they're a disgrace now.

Here's hoping that the 2019 final will be a repeat of the 1956 final.  :thumb:

shaun.lawson
3 hours ago, georgiehearts66 said:

This post is so good, it should be stickied. I take my hat off to you, Sir.

:notworthy:

I'd been taken to Tynecaste for a couple of years by then but no way was I being taken to this.  I remember the excitement though both before and after the game.  My dad was walking on air for weeks.  Not only the first win for decades but the first final.

I remember with great clarity taking a real interest in Hearts the next season because I was supporting the best team in Scotland.

And guess what.  We proved to be exactly that.

5 hours ago, georgiehearts66 said:

You're luckier than me.  My first rangers game was the 4-0 defeat in the Cup a year or two later and next was a 3-0 defeat at ibrox on a Wednesday night.  I had a much better run with Celtic.  Dont remember us ever losing to them in those formative years and Hibs were generally a pushover.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
8 hours ago, georgiehearts66 said:

Maybe my favourite post of all time. We see good times we see bad times, but we always have hope

TorinoJambo
10 hours ago, Jambo-Fox said:

I assume that’s you in the shorts? Look the same just less hair ....

Pretty sure the boy in the shorts is the late Penicuik Hearts legend Wattie Jackson. He always said it was him anyway 

19 hours ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

I was there the Braid Place police got a bus. I was fairly new in the job then, but they let me bring my father. It was a special day for him, in his sixties, Hearts daft, going to his first Hearts final, with his son who as was his longtime dream was in the polis. Hearts won, I am sure one of the best days of his life, I know it was for me. Won't get to this Final but will be there as usual in spirit.

13 hours ago, georgiehearts66 said:

This is the kind of gold I was looking for. Brilliant.

William H. Bonney

My dad was at the 56 cup final. He has only missed the 2012 final due to a wedding, something I never let him forget. 

We were talking yesterday about his experience at the 76 final as he was amongst all the bother caused by the rangers fans. 

nathan brittles

I have attended 6 cup finals-1956,1976,1986,1998,2006 and 2012.

For the 1956 final we travelled through by train ( my dad,me at 18 and my pal at 17 ) In those days Hearts were comfortable against all comers and usually confident that one or other of the Terrible Trio would put the opposition to the sword.As the game began,however,nerves started to influence performance and what a relief when Ian Crawford ( an unexpected hero)scored the opener and then a second.We thought it was all over but then Haughey shoulder charged Wiliie Duff who dropped the ball and it was suddenly 2-1.(  I suspect Haughey would have been yellow carded today)

Anyway, Alfie  Conn delivered a great 3rd goal for Hearts and we had won the cup.!!!

This was one of the peaks during a golden period for Hearts.

I wish i could say I was going to the next final with as much expectation as I had in 1956 but sadly I think this time I'll be hoping for good fortune rather than a winning performance.On the other hand !!!!!!!!

I was 8 y/o in 1956. My dad was already taking me to the odd match and lifting me over as was the way at that time. He didn't take me to the final even though I cried my eyes out and begged him to do so. I never forgave him.

Kiwidoug said he could remember his dad walking on air for weeks - mines was floating on alcohol instead.  

Edited by JohnB

• 3 weeks later...
Scott980612

Random one this but thought this thread be good as any to bring it up. 

Which badge did hearts use in1956 ?  

And does anyone know when hearts first played with the badge  on the strip? 

Maple Leaf
5 minutes ago, Scott980612 said:

Sorry. No idea.

Maple Leaf

Image result for heart of midlothian 1956 cup final

No badge, by the looks of it.

btw, I'm in this picture, just over the referee's right shoulder. :wink:

Hearts Heritage
10 minutes ago, Scott980612 said:

No badge.

scott herbertson
On 22/04/2019 at 22:04, portobellojambo1 said:

I wasn't at the 1956 final but was told I was in Princes Street to see the team returning, although have no memories of it. The game was played in April 1956 and I was only born 2 months earlier.

Same. Born in March 56 and grandfather a huge hearts fan. Not sure if we were taken to the parade though I'd like to think he would have his son, my uncle, was a hibeee and my dad had no interest in Football so it was my granddad that ensured the tradition would go on and got all three Herbertson grandchildren hooked.

On 22/04/2019 at 19:46, 132goals1958 said:

Who's that?

Initials?

One of the Glasgow  Hearts football legends, the inimitable Stewart Moffat, was born on Cup Final morning 1956, with another club member, John Baldmuir, born in the same month.