Pick and choose grief

i8hibsh

After the horrors of Christchurch this board was full of people posting how "heartbroken" they were. Six times more have died in Sri Lanka and the grief simply does not add up. No political leaders dressing accordingly in unity, no world outcry, certainly not on the scale of Christchurch. Does no-one else not see the complete bollocks here?

It happens all the time from twin towers to Madeiline McCann. We seem to have a scoring system to what fits their personal faux grief. A building collapsing in Bangladesh and a natural disaster in India seem way low down the scale compared to a small building of a French satirical publication or a small plane crash just off the coast of France.

Why is one plane crash more devastating than another? Why is one Earthquake or bombing more tragic than another. How can any decent human being say the abduction of one little girl deserves more focus than another?

Nookie Bear

Is it not something to do with the affinity we (British) have for certain parts of the world?

Strong connections with New Zealand through travel between both countries. Huge love of Paris, New York etc for same reasons etc Maddy McCann was a typical wee British girl who could have been any one of ours etc etc

Obviously more to it than that but just a thought ?

27 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Is it not something to do with the affinity we (British) have for certain parts of the world?

Strong connections with New Zealand through travel between both countries. Huge love of Paris, New York etc for same reasons etc Maddy McCann was a typical wee British girl who could have been any one of ours etc etc

It is not just geography though. It is who the victims are (mainly) their age and status to name a few. The RIP threads on here are interesting. What celebrity makes one seems almost arbitrary at times to me. Everyone is devastated too, even though never even given the person a thought for years.

If a plane crashed with 2 'nobodies' on it not one person outside the victims close circle would give a ****. Stick one footballer on it who almost no-one had heard of it and it is a tragedy.

Shooter McGavin

Worst type of people are the ones who spout their faux grief on Facebook for a few likes. Weird behaviour. 

1 minute ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Show some respect chief, some bint from Essex has taken an allergic reaction to lip fillers.

Thoughts with her family at this time of tragedy.

1 minute ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Worst type of people are the ones who spout their faux grief on Facebook for a few likes. Weird behaviour. 

They are oblivious to how much of a fake piece of work they come across. The fact is that they are not heartbroken, not by a ****ing long shot. They care as much as me and that is not much at all. Sounds harsh but tgat is how it is. 

Don't get me wrong I feel deep sadness for many tragedies but I go on about my day. To suggest I was "heartbroken" would mean I could not go about my day.

I thought about starting one yesterday but then figured, what's the point?

But yes, you're right and it's not just on here. Hardly anyone has mentioned it when I've been out and about yet with other things it's all people talk about. I guess once there's sun, barbeques and beer people just don't really care compared to when they're bored at work.

Sad.

Horrible what happened yesterday in a truly breathtaking and magical country. Tragic.

Nookie Bear
39 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

It is not just geography though. It is who the victims are (mainly) their age and status to name a few. The RIP threads on here are interesting. What celebrity makes one seems almost arbitrary at times to me. Everyone is devastated too, even though never even given the person a thought for years.

If a plane crashed with 2 'nobodies' on it not one person outside the victims close circle would give a ****. Stick one footballer on it who almost no-one had heard of it and it is a tragedy.

I suppose then it comes down to the fact it's football - which is practically totalitarian in it's influence over our culture and has an importance way in excess of what it deserves - and the 'drama' of the tragedy being played out in real time perhaps?

25 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

To be fair, those expressing their outrage over the lack of consistency from the faux grief merchants are becoming just as tiresome...

1 hour ago, i8hibsh said:

After the horrors of Christchurch this board was full of people posting how "heartbroken" they were. Six times more have died in Sri Lanka and the grief simply does not add up. No political leaders dressing accordingly in unity, no world outcry, certainly not on the scale of Christchurch. Does no-one else not see the complete bollocks here?

It happens all the time from twin towers to Madeiline McCann. We seem to have a scoring system to what fits their personal faux grief. A building collapsing in Bangladesh and a natural disaster in India seem way low down the scale compared to a small building of a French satirical publication or a small plane crash just off the coast of France.

Why is one plane crash more devastating than another? Why is one Earthquake or bombing more tragic than another. How can any decent human being say the abduction of one little girl deserves more focus than another?

So instead of starting a thread saying how awful the situation in Sri Lanka is... You start a thread condemning people for not starting a thread saying how awful the situation in Sri Lanka is... 

1 minute ago, LeftBack said:

So instead of starting a thread saying how awful the situation in Sri Lanka is... You start a thread condemning people for not starting a thread saying how awful the situation in Sri Lanka is... 

Indeed. Pick and choose outrage.

gashauskis9
41 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Thoughts with her family at this time of tragedy.

Just thoughts?  No prayers?  Jeez

Francis Albert
14 minutes ago, LeftBack said:

The OP was questioning why there are so many threads about awful situations (almost daily, and some of them relatively speaking not very awful at all)  but not a thread for this one. I don't see where he condemned anyone for not starting a thread.

19 minutes ago, LeftBack said:

Yup. Sums it up...

Francis Albert
14 minutes ago, Peebo said:

Yup. Sums it up...

Except he didn't condemn anyone for not starting a thread. So whatever it "sums up" it isn't the OP.

3 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Except he didn't condemn anyone for not starting a thread. So whatever it "sums up" it isn't the OP.

Cool, mate. If you think that, fair dues. I’d argue you’re taking a position in this thread that’s “complete bollocks”, but each to their own.

Francis Albert
1 minute ago, Peebo said:

Cool, mate. If you think that, fair dues. I’d argue you’re taking a position in this thread that’s “complete bollocks”, but each to their own.

I am not taking a position but simply reading the content of the OP beyond the User Name. Something that a lot of posters find difficult, as I know too well!

If I am talking compete bollocks please let me know where the OP condemns anyone for not starting a thread on Sri Lanka.

Governor Tarkin
2 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

It's because Sri Lanka is a country full of brown skinned folks, so we automatically don't really care as much about them. And we only really pretended to care about the Muslims in the predominantly white European country of Aotearoa because we're trying to be politically correct, when the truth is we all hate and fear them because it's a backwards oppressive religion that inspires jihadi terrorists and child grooming gangs in the midlands. Obviously. 

Again, brown skinned folk. Meh. 

If you'd skipped straight to this point without your preceding exercise in leading questions I'd have given you a sensible answer. 

Instead, I've given you the one you wanted. 

51 minutes ago, LeftBack said:

I would never start a grief chasing thread.

I know this sounds silly but yesterday was a public holiday where it was absolutely scorching.

Less people were on their phones, watching their tv etc yesterday than when the Christchurch incident happened (for example)

2 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

I dont think many of us would kill our kid so we can go eat tapas.

9 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

I am not taking a position but simply reading the content of the OP beyond the User Name. Something that a lot of posters find difficult, as I know too well!

If I am talking compete bollocks please let me know where the OP condemns anyone for not starting a thread on Sri Lanka.

His/her judgement of the inconsistency as “complete bollocks” implies - to me, at least - that people should be consistent. Thus not posting thoughts and prayers was being condemned, by extension.

As for the faux outrage outrage. If all tragedies are equal, and any posting around it should be consistent, why do we only get the faux outrage outrage when certain tragedies are ignored. Different side of exactly the same hypocrisy coin. 

Governor Tarkin
12 minutes ago, Herbert said:

What about curry?

:sadrobbo:

Francis Albert
26 minutes ago, Peebo said:

His/her judgement of the inconsistency as “complete bollocks” implies - to me, at least - that people should be consistent. Thus not posting thoughts and prayers was being condemned, by extension.

As for the faux outrage outrage. If all tragedies are equal, and any posting around it should be consistent, why do we only get the faux outrage outrage when certain tragedies are ignored. Different side of exactly the same hypocrisy coin. 

I thought his post was more about condemning thoughts and prayers than about not posting them.

But on the substantive point of course in the news and in posts on here there is no consistency in the reporting or commenting on tragedies or anything much else for that matter. Its all based on a subjective view of what interests people. I am not sure if the famous old  "SMALL EARTHQUAKE IN PERU - NOT MANY KILLED" headline was real or not but it sums up the phenomenon. ( Only difference today it would probably be squeezed out of the news altogether today by some "celebrity" story).

Edited by Francis Albert

1 hour ago, i8hibsh said:

They are oblivious to how much of a fake piece of work they come across. The fact is that they are not heartbroken, not by a ****ing long shot. They care as much as me and that is not much at all. Sounds harsh but tgat is how it is. 

Don't get me wrong I feel deep sadness for many tragedies but I go on about my day. To suggest I was "heartbroken" would mean I could not go about my day.

"Heartbroken about Notre-Dame. 

Here's a shite selfie of me in front of Notre-Dame when I went to Paris.  

So sad.  

Btw, I went to Paris.  

Feel like crying.  

In Paris.  

Me."

Every.  Single.  Post.

Completely does my head in, and I unfollow or unfriend any of the people who post stuff like this.  They don't care about what has happened, but they have a certain image they are desperately trying to portray.  I really don't understand why some people base their entire life satisfaction around the number of likes that they get on a post.  Sad *******s!

Edited by tian447

4 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

I thought his post was more about condemning thoughts and prayers than about not posting them.

But on the substantive point of course in the news and in posts on here there is no consistency in the reporting or commenting on tragedies or anything much else for that matter. Its all based on a subjective view of what interests people. I am not sure if the famous old  "SMALL EARTHQUAKE IN PERU - NOT MANY KILLED" headline was real or not but it sums up the phenomenon. ( Only difference today it would probably be squeezed out of the news altogether today by some "celebrity" story).

The point is about inconsistency. But let’s be consistent when pointing out inconsistency (if we’re going to bother). 

Am i a bad person, as i have no real feeling for anything like that that happens. I may think shit thats sad and never think or read about it again.

Maybe my job displaces me and my thought processes from grief.

The only grief i have ever really felt has been  through loss family friends and colleagues

Francis Albert

Anyway the web headlines today are mainly about "8 Brits dead" and the good news that flights home for Brits  have resumed.

No doubt someone in some university somewhere has derived a mathematical formula for all of this, which in this case would fit  with 1 Brit death = 40 Sri Lankan deaths and Brits flights delayed = y Sri Lankans critically injured. ("Brit" itself of course being a variable depending where you are).

1 hour ago, Herbert said:

About as controversial a statement as one could ever read on not only this forum but any forum.

1 hour ago, Sharky999 said:

Am i a bad person, as i have no real feeling for anything like that that happens. I may think shit thats sad and never think or read about it again.

The only grief i have ever really felt has been  through loss family friends and colleagues

No, you are very normal.  Most folk are like this but must spend their days convincing the planet and all those on it how much they care.

Governor Tarkin
Just now, i8hibsh said:

No, you are very normal.  Most folk are like this but must spend their days convincing the planet and all those on it how much they care.

...or how much they care about folk not caring. 

Governor Tarkin
6 minutes ago, Der Kaiser said:

I have to go back to work tomorrow.......

200w.gif.52a5b36dfa12a2ad1f4602e6014d477a.gif

:sob:

Mate... Be strong. 

Bindy Badgy
3 hours ago, Sharky999 said:

One of the side effects of 24 hour news coverage is that we become desensitised to bad things happening. When you see another tragedy every other day it stops having an impact.

More than likely true

41 minutes ago, Stokesy said:

One of the side effects of 24 hour news coverage is that we become desensitised to bad things happening. When you see another tragedy every other day it stops having an impact.

Yeah i would agree with this to an extent ?

3 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

About as controversial a statement as one could ever read on not only this forum but any forum.

It's more believable than the story they have concocted. 

1 hour ago, Herbert said:

It's more believable than the story they have concocted. 

Just another blasé accusation as if accusing someone of killing their child is the most normal thing in the world.  We are now living in the world where accusations are becoming as heinous as the crimes getting supposedly getting committed.  We should just go all out and say Gerry sexually abused Maddie too.

Edited by i8hibsh

3 hours ago, Der Kaiser said:

I have to go back to work tomorrow.......

200w.gif.52a5b36dfa12a2ad1f4602e6014d477a.gif

I work every day. Took Friday afternoon and this afternoon off for some Cider in the sun.

#Naebdaepaysmarent!

Edited by ri Alban

Mac_fae_Gillie

Simple answer is "Affinity"

Western Europe/Canada/Australia/NZ little less USA due to number of mass murders...

Seen the story on the Nice truck attack and Paris and Manchester(seen the target was children) attacks was truly shocking to me way more than the Vegas shootings or any Afgan/Syria attacks..

Sri Lanka and other south Asian nations are very prone to terrorist attacks, Christians long been a target this was no doubt a huge attack but bigger does not shock as much as it use to.

9/11 pretty much saw to that.

Terror is very much run of the mill now the closer to home it is the more it shocks me.

As for no thread for it that is disappointing in so many ways but sometimes it is very hard to say the right thing. folks like to find fault with anything nowadays, heck someone started a thread attacking people for no thread yet never even gave a monkeys about the event wonder how swallow that person is.

What gets me is when there is a tragedy somewhere in the world, people change their photos or avatars to has a transparent flag of the respective country over it.   

I have see it a lot, for France, Belgium, and the likes from people I follow.  Not one done it with the Union Flag, or England flag, when the Manchester bombing happened. 

8 minutes ago, Paolo said:

What gets me is when there is a tragedy somewhere in the world, people change their photos or avatars to has a transparent flag of the respective country over it.   

I have see it a lot, for France, Belgium, and the likes from people I follow.  Not one done it with the Union Flag, or England flag, when the Manchester bombing happened. 

Loads of people changed their avatar to the bee symbol or the I love Manchester symbol so that argument is flawed at best.

9 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

Loads of people changed their avatar to the bee symbol or the I love Manchester symbol so that argument is flawed at best.

I was referring to people I follow who did not do this, so it is not flawed.   They do fit into what the OP was describing. 

1 minute ago, Paolo said:

I was referring to people I follow who did not do this, so it is not flawed.   They do fit into what the OP was describing. 

Not really a representative survey if you are only basing it on who you follow, so it is flawed. The bee symbol was adopted by people all over the world for a while.

Seymour M Hersh
8 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

You're clearly not "reading between the lines" and are also not inventing a narrative arc to suit. Shame on you FA.

12 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

The Sri Lanka bombings are awful, it's a place that holds a special place for my wife and I. I proposed in the Sri Lankan jungle and absolutely love the place, we stayed in the Cinnamon Grand on our last night there and its was exceptional. 

But this isn't the first time Sri Lanka has been criminally overlooked. The Boxing day tsunami killed ten times as many people in Sri Lanka that in Thailand... But.. You know... Thailand was full of Europeans so Sri Lanka was overlooked