New TV

andy-y

Folks. 

It’s  that time again 

looking at a new tv as there’s some cracking offers on over Easter. 

Was dead  set on the Samsung QE65Q6FN

then I went in to curry’s and the guy put me right off saying the Sony is far superior. 

SONY BRAVIA KD65XF8796BU

now he did have a Sony polo shirt on so I need some independent advice! 

Thanks!!

The Internet
22 minutes ago, H2 said:

I've got a 55" Sony Bravia - simply the best, fantastic TV.

Same. I also got the same treatment as op in curry's from a Sony rep while I was looking at a Samsung TV. Turned out to be a great decision. 

19 minutes ago, Barack said:

55 inches is the winner. But enough about me.

:verysmug:

LG OLED...bootiful.

LG always for me ?

Just bought a smaller Sony Bravia Smart TV, was a bit more expensive but all the reviews were high. It is replacing a Sony Bravia that was twelve years old with no problems. Lost the picture figured it was the old TV went out and got a new one only to find it was actually my cable service that was  the trouble. .

4 hours ago, Sarah O said:

Mental amounts to be spending on a TV! :vrwow:

A TV - something used nearly every day for a decade. 

Tommy Brown
1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

A TV - something used nearly every day for a decade. 

Not trying to be smart, but do they last a decade?

I still have an old 32" LG, but it is huge and looks dated with a 2" trim all round :lol:

replaced it about 5 years ago with a Toshiba which broke down. I got it fixed a year later for £100, new power supply.

a lot of people would have slung it. I keep your £300-400 range (my post is probably not welcome to this thread :smile:)

Edited by Tommy Brown

20 hours ago, andy-y said:

Folks. 

It’s  that time again 

then I went in to curry’s and the guy put me right off saying the Sony is far superior. 

SONY BRAVIA KD65XF8796BU

Thanks!!

I’ve always bought Sony tv,s in the past but last year had to buy a new tv and changed to a Panasonic was getting a good deal at Costco. Now converted ?

12 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

The Sony Bravia 55 inch OLED is streets ahead of the LG equivalent, both in picture quality and sound, plus all the other features. 

That is why it is more expensive but in the long run more cost effective as it will last longer. 

A Rolls Royce versus a Skoda. No.contest really.

You've got that the wrong way around.

LG>Sony Bravia

8 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

My previous telly was an LG and it was shite.

The rep probably got a bonus for shifting you a dodgy model. Shame. 

?? I'm only pulling your chain. IMO LG are the best for my needs (surround sound setup and lots of gaming) on paper.  I've never had a Bravia so can't compare accurately.

Edited by Taffin

The Internet

Can't really go wrong with any of the higher end LG, Sony, Samsung models. Much of a muchness really but you get what you pay for with tvs. If you pay 900+ for any of those brands you'll get a quality tv. Anything sub-500 and there will be a huge difference, depends how important it is to you. 

1 hour ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Can't really go wrong with any of the higher end LG, Sony, Samsung models. Much of a muchness really but you get what you pay for with tvs. If you pay 900+ for any of those brands you'll get a quality tv. Anything sub-500 and there will be a huge difference, depends how important it is to you. 

I think you are right. I think the thing to do is wait for the £900+ models to drop you might get lucky and pick one up in the £700 region.

Also, agree with the sub £500 budget versions are not the same quality. 

The really high end are amazing, especially the bigger ones in 4K, but it's a lot of money £2K and up.

On 21/04/2019 at 18:20, andy-y said:

Folks. 

It’s  that time again 

SONY BRAVIA KD65XF8796BU

Thanks!!

Samsung is the leading light in the tv world , sony is 3rd behind lg or was when i bought my last one 18months ago. We got a samsung 60inch uhd for £800 and it was superb. 

But its personal preference , just look at the reviews online and look for the bits that suit you ie hdmis , apps etc. Don’t listen to the guys in currys they are clueless as staff and if its a promoter they are paid by the company to sell you their brand. - that was a somy guy who told me all this when I was looking at tvs and he actually recommended a samsung (not the one we bought though)

Edited by sadj

13 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

I still have an old 32" LG, but it is huge and looks dated with a 2" trim all round :lol:

replaced it about 5 years ago with a Toshiba which broke down. I got it fixed a year later for £100, new power supply.

a lot of people would have slung it. I keep your £300-400 range (my post is probably not welcome to this thread :smile:)

Yeah if your even slightly technical tvs now are usually quite straight forward unless its screen related all the sound , power etc boards tend to be seperate and you can usually find replacements on ebay

On 21/04/2019 at 19:05, jonnothejambo said:

55 inch Sony Bravia OLED.  

Bought at John Lewis via the Sony rep after I originally thought about the LG.

The right decision. It's superb and the sound comes out the screen as opposed to visible speakers; there are none.

5 year warranty and a further 5 year accident cover from John Lewis and I believe they will match any lower price. 

Ours was around £1700 but I got it down to £1640 by saying I would buy it on the spot.

This has made me laugh way too much just made me think of chewin the fat sketches...

oooooo no visible speakers

Edited by sadj

Harry Potter
On 21/04/2019 at 22:07, maroongoals said:

Panasonic for me

For me as well, surely 40 inches is big enough for a normal sized living room.

Just a hint for anyone who hasn't changed the picture settings on their tv.

If you google your make and model, plus *optimal settings* you'll tend to find the settings that will get you the best possible picture. It can really make a big difference, and means you get the most out of your set.

The standard settings that come with the TV, can be a little hit and miss.

I got a Samsung telly free with my phone 3 years ago and I'm still watching it. 

Spoiler

I know at the end of the day it isn't really free and they screw the true cost out of you one way or other.

spoke To the lad at Richar sounds and he said I’d have to spend another £400 to get the equivalent quality on a Sony. 

. With £530 off the Q6 Samsung QLED it was a no brainer. 

Now await delivery 

24 minutes ago, andy-y said:

spoke To the lad at Richar sounds and he said I’d have to spend another £400 to get the equivalent quality on a Sony. 

. With £530 off the Q6 Samsung QLED it was a no brainer. 

Now await delivery 

Can't go wrong with a Samsung.

Tommy Brown

Just back from Florida, visiting stepdaughter and her fiance.

Had to endure their love of movies, but played in the wrong settings.

I tried to find the settings when they were out, but couldn't manage it as it was not the original Samsung remote.

Hadn't the heart to say to them.

The picture was completely wrong for movies, so false.

On 22/04/2019 at 14:15, Tommy Brown said:

My last one did, yeah.