• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Justin Z

• Governor Tarkin

• ri Alban

• Bridge of Djoum

Jambo-Jimbo
14 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

https://www.ancient-origins.net/myths-legends/ancient-pagan-origins-easter-001571

A really nice summary of the history of this ancient myth--a true testament to humanity's creativity and love for ritual and celebration.

Not just Easter, many if not nearly all of Christianity's key events mentioned in the New Testament can be traced to stories which had been around for centuries and in some cases thousands of years before Jesus ever set foot on this Earth.

27 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Says the aggressive athiest.

:greggy:

This "aggressive atheist" appreciates anthropology and the study of human nature. As a species we have created so many myths due to our curiosity and desire to understand the world around us, and those myths provide excellent insight into our cultures and shared history.

4 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Not just Easter, many if not nearly all of Christianity's key events mentioned in the New Testament can be traced to stories which had been around for centuries and in some cases thousands of years before Jesus ever set foot on this Earth.

Absolutely. Easter is one with imagery that harkens back especially strongly to pagan rituals though, especially of fertility--the eggs, the rabbits, even the whole idea of being reborn.

Bridge of Djoum
1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

Hallelujah!!!!!

:rofl:

You start this thread praising a complete fairy story yet you're soiling yourself over a thread wishing a very real and living Queen a happy birthday.

Jambo-Jimbo
49 minutes ago, Jambothump said:

Never let the truth, get in the way of a good story.?

Or let the truth get in the way of making money, a hell of a lot of money.

36 minutes ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

You start this thread praising a complete fairy story yet you're soiling yourself over a thread wishing a very real and living Queen a happy birthday.

One's the King of Scotland, the other is an imposter.

Edited by ri Alban

Bridge of Djoum
1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

One's the King of Scotland, the other is an imposter.

Neither of those is true. Grow up.

25 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Or let the truth get in the way of making money, a hell of a lot of money.

Science (Not technology or life on earth) or Religion. Both are faith driven.

1 minute ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

Neither of those is true. Grow up.

Both are accurate. So you grow up. 

And the answer to your next post.

No, you grow up!

Edited by ri Alban

Bridge of Djoum
Just now, ri Alban said:

Both are accurate. So you grow up. 

And the answer to your next post.

No, you grow up!

A bitter fantasist. How very British of you.

Image result for union flag

The Natural Order

Has wee Brad risen? After all the eulogising over the last few days I presume that's who everyone's on about.

3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

The only defensive, aggressive poster on this thread is you. Everyone else just seems content on debating the subject at hand. 

Calm yourself down man.

I'll just be content sipping on my pint eating Easter eggs in the knowledge that many millions of folk are wasting their time attending church. 

Edited by AlimOzturk

Governor Tarkin

Hallelujah!!!!!

:pleasing:

3 hours ago, Justin Z said:

https://www.ancient-origins.net/myths-legends/ancient-pagan-origins-easter-001571

A really nice summary of the history of this ancient myth--a true testament to humanity's creativity and love for ritual and celebration.

:seething:

1 hour ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

A bitter fantasist. How very British of you.

Image result for union flag

:rofl: :rofl::rofl::rofl: 

At least 207 people have died after suspected suicide bombers blew up churches (top right and left) and five-star hotels in an Easter Sunday terror attack in Sri Lanka. The eight blasts today ripped through landmarks in Colombo and on Sri Lanka's east coast (seen bottom right on a map), targeting Christians, hotel guests and foreign tourists and leaving at least 450 people wounded. Six bombs went off in quick succession before another two blasts two hours later in Sri Lanka's worst violence since the end of its decades-long civil war in 2009. The victims include at least 35 foreigners, believed to include Britons and Americans. As details of the horror emerged today, TV chef Shantha Mayadunne and her London-based daughter Nisanga were among the first victims named, just moments after sharing a family photo (centre) of their Easter breakfast. Meanwhile a manager at the Cinnamon Grand hotel in Colombo said the attacker had set off the horrific explosion in a packed restaurant at 8.30am after waiting in a queue for a breakfast buffet. Inset: Relatives of victims wait outside a hospital in Colombo.

and not one word from JKB! 

willie wallace

Just catching up on that news now.Terrible news on the most important day in the Christian calendar.

The hotel attacks appear to be targeted at people of all religions or none at all 

Condolences to everyone affected.

Thought this was a thing of the past in Sri Lanka

4 hours ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

Don’t forget Her Royal Majesty can trace her lineage straight back to Jesus. It’s true you know. 

JKB hasn't said a word about Sri Lanka because it's not obviously a muslim attack.

Could be Tamils (10th anniversary next month of them being genocided at the end of the civil war).

Could be Bhuddists. Could be Muslims. Could be Hindus.

42 minutes ago, jb102 said:

Don’t forget Her Royal Majesty can trace her lineage straight back to Jesus. It’s true you know. 

Jesus had children?  I did not know that.

1 hour ago, Maple Leaf said:

The holy blood and the holy grail.

58 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

We're all the Lord's children.

3 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

You're some man, GT. Makes me laugh every time.

Well almost!

:seethe:

What the world needs now, is

The KLF!

They're gonnae rock ye!

Governor Tarkin
2 hours ago, willie wallace said:

Just catching up on that news now.Terrible news on the most important day in the Christian calendar.

The hotel attacks appear to be targeted at people of all religions or none at all 

Condolences to everyone affected.

Thought this was a thing of the past in Sri Lanka

Hear hear. 

Horrific state of affairs. 

23 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Hear hear. 

Horrific state of affairs. 

This. I thought someone else would have opened a thread, so I didn't mention it. Apologies

A very lucrative day for the church business. Today is to the church business what St Paddies is to the pub trade.

1 hour ago, Cade said:

JKB hasn't said a word about Sri Lanka because it's not obviously a muslim attack.

Could be Tamils (10th anniversary next month of them being genocided at the end of the civil war).

Could be Bhuddists. Could be Muslims. Could be Hindus.

They pick and choose based on a certain criteria. Today's tragedy not a big score in the world of social media virtue signalling unfortunately.

2 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

Is there not a school that think the "Holy Grail" is Jesus's bairn?

indianajones
2 hours ago, jb102 said:

Lies. 

She is a reptile. 

Was born from an egg. 

Just now, indianajones said:

Lies. 

She is a reptile. 

Was born from an egg. 

Also true. Can’t deny the evidence. 

6 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

Is there not a school that think the "Holy Grail" is Jesus's bairn?

tbh, nothing would surprise me.

5 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

??

:lol: Best post with zero words typed I've read in a long time

7 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Science (Not technology or life on earth) or Religion. Both are faith driven.

This is a staggering statement but off-topic so I'm not going to reply to it substantively. You really ought to make a thread though.

“I know the resurrection is a fact, and Watergate proved it to me. How? Because 12 men testified, they had seen Jesus raised from the dead, then they proclaimed that truth for 40 years, never once denying it. Everyone was beaten, tortured, stoned and put in prison. They would not have endured that if it weren't true. Watergate embroiled 12 of the most powerful men in the world-and they couldn't keep a lie for three weeks. You're telling me 12 apostles could keep a lie for 40 years? Absolutely impossible.”

Charles W. Colson – Watergate: Colson went to prison after pleading guilty to obstructing justice in one of the criminal plots that undid the Nixon administration.

Governor Tarkin
33 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

DZsb_LzXUAA1VSe.jpg

Nice :)

Kind of reminds me of the time a number of years ago that I went to a halloween fancy dress party as zombie Jesus on a big foam cross.

1 hour ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Nice :)

Kind of reminds me of the time a number of years ago that I went to a halloween fancy dress party as zombie Jesus on a big foam cross.

:lol:  Pics??

As with fags (smoking kind) religion should come with a government health warning " Could seriously damage Your health"

24 minutes ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

As with fags (smoking kind) religion should come with a government health warning " Could seriously damage Your health"

Bible.thumb.png.e28ce85c8e271b9f0ec9d50b8c325421.png

10 hours ago, alfajambo said:

“I know the resurrection is a fact, and Watergate proved it to me. How? Because 12 men testified, they had seen Jesus raised from the dead, then they proclaimed that truth for 40 years, never once denying it. Everyone was beaten, tortured, stoned and put in prison. They would not have endured that if it weren't true. Watergate embroiled 12 of the most powerful men in the world-and they couldn't keep a lie for three weeks. You're telling me 12 apostles could keep a lie for 40 years? Absolutely impossible.”

Charles W. Colson – Watergate: Colson went to prison after pleading guilty to obstructing justice in one of the criminal plots that undid the Nixon administration.

https://www.learnreligions.com/jesus-resurrection-and-ascension-contradictions-250145

:levein_interesting:

Governor Tarkin
9 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

:lol:  Pics??

Alas, it was the days before camera phones were ubiquitous. 

I tracked this one down from my facebook. Unfortunately sans foam cross. It wasn't the most comfortable appendage. Especially when the Heath Ledgers kicked in. 

Infinitely more comfortable than the real thing though, one would imagine. 

IMG-20190422-WA0000.jpg