Happy Birthday Queen ? Elizabeth

Crete

Phil Dunphy
14 minutes ago, My half sister said:

I don't tend to open threads titled Nicola Sturgeon or Alex Salmond (although recently they might have been interesting), so why does a Republican separatist open this thread.

Same reason why people fall over themselves to tell us they don't watch Game of Thrones.

Placing over-importance on their opinions.

1 minute ago, My half sister said:

I don't tend to open threads titled Nicola Sturgeon or Alex Salmond (although recently they might have been interesting), so why does a Republican separatist open this thread.

To wish her a happy birthday.

I don't think we need a head of state and separation would indicate something different. More a supporter of the re-establishment of the Kingdom of Scotland or a republic, whatever we choose.

27 minutes ago, Morgan said:

A bit overpaid?

All she does is launch ships FFS.

:whistling:

With Phil's face.

Governor Tarkin
8 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

To wish her a happy birthday.

I don't think we need a head of state and separation would indicate something different. More a supporter of the re-establishment of the Kingdom of Scotland or a republic, whatever we choose.

:seething:

30 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

The way I see most people react when talking about the Royal Family isn't anywhere near as "subservient" as when folk like yourself talk about Nicola Sturgeon.

:pleasing:

23 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Lang may her lum reek. 

15 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Same reason why people fall over themselves to tell us they don't watch Game of Thrones.

Placing over-importance on their opinions.

I don't watch Game of thrones either. Yet getting a bit over zealous about some wee woman you don't know. Lighten up, the world won't end or restart because other folk disagree with constitutional monarchy.

It's fun seeing the god deniers blessing one of his prophets. Hello flea pit.:wavey:

4 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

:seething:

I can smell it fae here.

Oh and NS will be oot on her arse, post independence.

Bridge of Djoum

''Kingdom of Scotland''...:rofl:

A nation that absolutely shit itself at the thought of separation. 

4 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I beg to differ, as the Queen is a descendant of Royal house of Stuart on both sides of her family.

On her fathers side she is descended from Mary Queen of Scots.

And on her mothers side she is a descendant of King Robert II of Scotland, through the marriage of his daughter Princess Johanna to Sir John Lyon Lord of Glamis in 1376. 

The mother of King Robert II was Marjorie de Brus the eldest daughter of Robert the Bruce to his first wife Isabella of Mar.

This means that Queen Elizabeth II is not only a descendant of but also carries the blood & genes of both Robert the Bruce & Mary Queen of Scots, with royal ancestry like that, I don't think there can be many people who are more qualified to be Queen of Scotland.

Just a small technicality.  I think the monarch is Queen of Scots, not Scotland.

Am willing to be corrected. :confused:

Phil Dunphy
42 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I don't watch Game of thrones either. Yet getting a bit over zealous about some wee woman you don't know. Lighten up, the world won't end or restart because other folk disagree with constitutional monarchy.

It's fun seeing the god deniers blessing one of his prophets. Hello flea pit.:wavey:

Yeah, you're right.

I mean, you've been shit posting all over this thread and every thread that has any tenuous link to the United Kingdom, but I'm the overly zealous one. Have a day off mate, it's a nice day outside.

Some top trolling on this thread.

Anyway ill join in, cant wait for King Charles to take up his rightful position as King of Scots. 

1 hour ago, Phil Dunphy said:

The way I see most people react when talking about the Royal Family isn't anywhere near as "subservient" as when folk like yourself talk about Nicola Sturgeon.

Right, so to be favourable towards the Royal Family, means you must support Rangers?

Thank christ you don't post very often with opinions like that.

So you think, in this day and age, it's appropriate to have an unelected head of state? There is no reason for having them anymore

1 hour ago, My half sister said:

I'm triggered :)

Phil Dunphy
1 minute ago, Davie1874 said:

So you think, in this day and age, it's appropriate to have an unelected head of state? There is no reason for having them anymore

I'm triggered :)

Forgive me, but I've no interest in debating the merits of the Royal Family with someone who lazily accused me of being a mini-hun.

Unlucky.

1 minute ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Forgive me, but I've no interest in debating the merits of the Royal Family with someone who lazily accused me of being a mini-hun.

Unlucky.

That's because you know the amount of reasons for keeping them are 0. 

Only Queen worth celebrating is the band.

Jambo-Jimbo
47 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Just a small technicality.  I think the monarch is Queen of Scots, not Scotland.

Am willing to be corrected. :confused:

I think both terms are correct.

According to the Encyclopedia Britannica they say the following about the only two Scottish Queens who ruled before the joining of the crowns.

Margaret Queen of Scotland (reigned 1286-90) also known as the Maid of Norway. 

https://www.britannica.com/biography/Margaret-queen-of-Scotland

And

Mary Queen of Scotland (reigned 1542-67) also known as Mary Stuart & Mary Queen of Scots.

https://www.britannica.com/biography/Mary-queen-of-Scotland

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

Phil Dunphy
6 minutes ago, Davie1874 said:

I'd say the fact the Royal Family brought £330m, of which the government kept 75%, in 2017/18 is a good reason to keep them around for a starter.

FYI, labelling people you don't know as Diets because you disagree with the concept of a monarchy makes you look like a complete *****.

Bridge of Djoum
4 hours ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Hope she has a great day. Philip might take her a drive somewhere. 

Dogging.

AlphonseCapone
42 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

I'd say the fact the Royal Family brought £330m, of which the government kept 75%, in 2017/18 is a good reason to keep them around for a starter.

FYI, labelling people you don't know as Diets because you disagree with the concept of a monarchy makes you look like a complete *****.

Meh, tourists would still go see Buckingham Palace etc even if there were no longer a royal family. In fact you could argue more would people would pay more ticket money to actually walk around inside Buckingham Palace. 

47 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Nothing diet-hun about rangers, they are full fat hun. (See yesterday's game as proof)

The French ousted the monarchy and the seem to do alright, look at the palace of versailles. They have millions of visitors a year and a ticket costs roughly €18 (lifted from google). That's a substantial amount from just one site, imagine what Buckingham palace and multiple other royal estates would take in. 

Did the royal family not spend about that much (£330m) on restoration works at Buckingham palace?

Jambo-Jimbo
18 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Meh, tourists would still go see Buckingham Palace etc even if there were no longer a royal family. In fact you could argue more would people would pay more ticket money to actually walk around inside Buckingham Palace. 

Think you can already, I think it's the state rooms which are open to public tours.

Edit: It is open to the public, at a cost of £13.50 each. 

https://www.visitlondon.com/things-to-do/event/27250576-buckingham-palace-tour-summer-opening

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

Phil Dunphy
1 hour ago, Davie1874 said:

Nothing diet-hun about rangers, they are full fat hun. (See yesterday's game as proof)

The French ousted the monarchy and the seem to do alright, look at the palace of versailles. They have millions of visitors a year and a ticket costs roughly €18 (lifted from google). That's a substantial amount from just one site, imagine what Buckingham palace and multiple other royal estates would take in. 

Did the royal family not spend about that much (£330m) on restoration works at Buckingham palace?

Nope. £82m, which is a much lower number. 

Facts are a tricky thing to people like you, aren’t they?

Governor Tarkin
2 hours ago, Davie1874 said:

Erm, they'd still need restored regardless, no? 

Or are we to charge tourists top yuan to pick their way through dilapidated ruins? 

Do our Gallic cousins do that with Versailles? 

2 hours ago, indianajones said:

Biggest benefit scroungers on this island. 

Some for sure. The Queen however, not even close. The lady has not had a proper day to herself for near 70 years.

1 hour ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Nope. £82m, which is a much lower number. 

Facts are a tricky thing to people like you, aren’t they?

£82m is a much lower number.

£370m is the correct figure though and that is a much higher number.

Facts are quite tricky for you too, aren't they?

Phil Dunphy
1 minute ago, graygo said:

£82m is a much lower number.

£370m is the correct figure though and that is a much higher number.

Facts are quite tricky for you too, aren't they?

£370m over 10 years.

"Historically the Queen received 15% of the income from the Crown Estate, but this has gone up to 25% to pay for refurbishments to Buckingham Palace. In 2018-19 this will equate to about £82 million."

Compare this to what they'll generate over that same period.

4 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

£370m over 10 years.

"Historically the Queen received 15% of the income from the Crown Estate, but this has gone up to 25% to pay for refurbishments to Buckingham Palace. In 2018-19 this will equate to about £82 million."

Compare this to what they'll generate over that same period.

Glad you are able to confirm that the refurbishment is costing £370m, the timescale is neither here nor there that is the cost regardless of how long it takes.

The full amount will be paid out of the public purse not just 25% which your quote implies without actually saying.

I know they generate this and more but as pointed out earlier, this would be the case whether they still existed or not.

Phil Dunphy
1 minute ago, graygo said:

Glad you are able to confirm that the refurbishment is costing £370m, the timescale is neither here nor there that is the cost regardless of how long it takes.

The full amount will be paid out of the public purse not just 25% which your quote implies without actually saying.

I know they generate this and more but as pointed out earlier, this would be the case whether they still existed or not.

The full amount will come out of the public purse, which includes 75% of the money generated by the Royal Family.

Nookie Bear
5 hours ago, Davie1874 said:

Better off posting on Kerrydale St with that chat, mate. 

17 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Better off posting on Kerrydale St with that chat, mate. 

No thanks, I'll stick to annoying the tea towel/souvenir plate brigade on here, who seem to think an unelected head of state is a good thing 

2 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Erm, they'd still need restored regardless, no? 

Or are we to charge tourists top yuan to pick their way through dilapidated ruins? 

Do our Gallic cousins do that with Versailles? 

They would need restored but the money made through tourism would be put back in for the upkeep. Put restaurants, museums, a hotel etc you would bring in just as much, if not more than now.

Governor Tarkin
29 minutes ago, Davie1874 said:

They would need restored but the money made through tourism would be put back in for the upkeep. Put restaurants, museums, a hotel etc you would bring in just as much, if not more than now.

So the fact that you'd still need to fork out a fortune to restore them isn't really a stick to beat the Royals with after all. 

I'm glad we are in agreement on that. 

Shanks said no
27 minutes ago, Der Kaiser said:

Hopefully she snuffs it during term time......another cheeky holiday eh?

Nightmare scenario is if she passes away in Scotland. Edinburgh will be gridlocked but she will be near the Heart of Midlothian for one last time.

36 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Nightmare scenario is if she passes away in Scotland. Edinburgh will be gridlocked but she will be near the Heart of Midlothian for one last time.

Because no-one up here likes her apart from Rangers fans and those with learning disabilities??

Shanks said no
7 minutes ago, Der Kaiser said:

Because no-one up here likes her apart from Rangers fans and those with learning disabilities??

Was more the logistics, body gets brought to Holyrood Palace, then St Giles and then Royal train from Waverley to go south

17 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Was more the logistics, body gets brought to Holyrood Palace, then St Giles and then Royal train from Waverley to go south

Fire her out Mons Meg into the Forth.

Now I'd wave a union jack to that!

8 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

So the fact that you'd still need to fork out a fortune to restore them isn't really a stick to beat the Royals with after all. 

I'm glad we are in agreement on that. 

So, you're saying, the The Royals have let our property go to shite.

Hanging offence.

Edited by ri Alban

Governor Tarkin
27 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

So, you're saying, the The Royals have let our property go to shite.

Hanging offence.

Tenants from hell. ?

Happy birthday, Queenie. On the throne cause yer Uncle Davie wis a traitor. God, yer not even the proper heir in yer ain faimly. But again, have a good day.

If ye cuid pass oan my greetings, Phil. That'd be grand.?

2 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Tenants from hell. ?

:D Better call the 'don't pay' guys fae the Telly.

John Gentleman
On 21/04/2019 at 23:43, Phil Dunphy said:

Got a source for that number? 

I wonder how much President Britain’s-got-the-celebrity-big-brother-X-factor-in-the-jungle-on-ice MacBoatface would cost.

Or President Farage.

On 22/04/2019 at 06:51, ri Alban said:

:D Better call the 'don't pay' guys fae the Telly.

Is that a party political broadcast by the SNP?

Anyone who calls the queen a scrounge can bolt. She has been working relentlessly for the better part of 70 years. 

Once she goes though the royal family should go with it though. 

Edited by AlimOzturk