Hearts. A difficult club to play for

1971fozzy

I’ve followed hearts since the mid 80’s , and where we are now is that it is quoted that we are an amazing club to play for when all is well, but we are the hardest to play for when we are toiling (from the stands)/.  Fair enough I’d say. It’s hard though, since the days of Levein, Robbo, Colquhoun, Davie Mac; skacel and Hartley we don’t have players of that ilk. 

Are  we right to be so dismissive of our squad now ? 

Levein has said on numerous occasions that we are a hard support to please. 

do we over expect ? 

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• leginten

• Bazzas right boot

• shaun.lawson

• 1971fozzy

We are demanding, we do have certain expectations that we are nowhere near. 

The thing is though it's not about the quality of the player we just need to look at guys like Sandison, brellier, macfarlane, johnsson, guys who were limited footballers but gave every ounce, every game. 

The current bunch have no heart, no passion, no drive and that is the point at which you lose the support 

Whether it’s related or not ... to me we saw the best of our support during and immediately after the admin year. Rallied around when chips were down and gave it all supporting young, underpaid, largely local or at least Scottish players. 

We see ourselves are the 3rd biggest club in Scotland, because we are. When the players and management fail to live up to that we get on their backs. 

I think the lack of a clear plan on the park coupled with players who seem to lack drive, heart and determination (and a lot of time basic ability) is frustrating everyone no end. 

Beating hibs is a good way for the players to get us back on side and they've failed with the last derby and could well fail in the next. 

Some fans don't have any belief in the team because the players have done absolutely nothing this season to deserve any belief. More often than not when the chips are down our players go missing. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn

I don’t see your point. This squad is wank. This coach is wank. It’s not about being hard to play for. It’s about the people who are playing for us being woefully substandard, including the manager.

The_razors_edge
9 minutes ago, Bozi said:

We are demanding, we do have certain expectations that we are nowhere near. 

The thing is though it's not about the quality of the player we just need to look at guys like Sandison, brellier, macfarlane, johnsson, guys who were limited footballers but gave every ounce, every game. 

The current bunch have no heart, no passion, no drive and that is the point at which you lose the support 

Indeed. The fans will get out of the support what they put in on the pitch - put **** all in on the park, expect to get **** all support in return from the fans. It’s very much a two way, give and take relationship. 

All roads lead to Gorgie

We are paying pretty high season ticket prices in comparison to other teams ahead of us in the league. I am often disappointed that the support don’t give sufficient backing but what often transpires on the pitch is not up to scratch for our hard earned cash. The club are good at self promotion but in reality the product is far from satisfactory. 

11 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

I don’t see your point. This squad is wank. This coach is wank. It’s not about being hard to play for. It’s about the people who are playing for us being woefully substandard, including the manager.

Absolutely this. Squad is dreadful and sometimes feel the Club is disappearing up its own jacksie

With a clueless manager like Levein Hearts must be a REALLY difficult Club to play for!!!

I actually find us as a support embarrassing. We boo our players and write some off after 1 game. We then justify our actions by saying the players have no heart, drive, blah blah. I’m sorry, but we are the problem and if I was a player, I’d seriously think twice about signing for hearts. Sad day to put that down in black and white. 

Captain Canada

Can every player say they've given 100% effort in every game this season? 

The fact that the answer is a very obvious 'no' is the reason why we're perceived by some as a demanding support. 

Some players are being very well paid but short-changing the fans. 

kingantti1874

Difficult if underperforming, the best fans in the world with some ****ing effort.. 

anyone expects to play for us and trot trot out shite like they have been doing and not expect to get stick shouldn’t be here.. 

7 minutes ago, Baxfee said:

I actually find us as a support embarrassing. We boo our players and write some off after 1 game. We then justify our actions by saying the players have no heart, drive, blah blah. I’m sorry, but we are the problem and if I was a player, I’d seriously think twice about signing for hearts. Sad day to put that down in black and white. 

who has ever, ever, ever, been written off after their debut???.........Didn't even happen to Andy Watson.....think you're dreaming there

Gavsy Van Gaverson
Just now, Sooperstar said:

Sean Clare never played today cos he was in The Mill til closing. Too hard to play for for him that's for sure.

Seen it with my own eyes. Out of order.

1 minute ago, Sooperstar said:

Sean Clare never played today cos he was in The Mill til closing. Too hard to play for for him that's for sure.

Glad someone else saw this. Although on the bright side, he did buy me and my mates a round of jaegers 

1 minute ago, Sooperstar said:

Glad someone else saw this. Although on the bright side, he did buy me and my mates a round of jaegers 

Bazzas right boot

We should be better than 6th.

We have historically been better in the league than hibs but in terms of size any outsider would say we should be doing about the same, same goes with Aberdeen. so basically there should be 3 clubs above all the others fighting for one place. Some folk will argue this.

The OF have the financial backing and should be ahead of everyone, Celtic should be ahead of Rangers as well based on Finance.

Killie are the only team that is punching above it's weight and under Clarke have done very well.

The frustration for us is that with 3 changes of manager in 3 seasons we are not setting the foundation to build and it is showing on the pitch. A club, unless it has a big spending ability needs to build and generally this may take 2/3 seasons, Aberdeen being a good example of this.

This frustration is further compounded by the progress from this season being only a little bit better than last year, so folk want another change. Will it help? Maybe, maybe not.

The same discussions where happening under Robbie after promotion, a third place finish and sitting around 2nd. 

So yes, we should do better than 6th but given what has happened, some fans need to think about what would actually make them happy as under Robbie they were not happy and some have said even if we win the cup we should still change manager, so given that a 3rd place finish iwasn't good enough and a cup win may not be I am not sure what the expectations are of some.

Todays game is a good example.

Certain posters say because of finance we should beat the likes of Dundee/ Motherwell both home and away and easily in some cases because of the finance.

Yet, the same posters don't allow us the same grace v  Rangers? Surely if the above applies to Hearts then Rangers / Celtic should be blowing us away and if they do we can't complain.....

If we win the cup and end up 6th that would be a good season.

If we end up 5th/6th but no cup it is not a good season, but giving our history, not a poor one.

IMO, the discussion about how best to go forward needs opened up, but best discussed after the cup final.

shaun.lawson

Healthy expectations are what make a big (in Scottish terms) club, a big club. Take that away and you take more or less everything away.

Hearts, like all clubs, have some wankers among their support. As this post only further confirms. But Hearts also have incredible, unbelievable supporters - who united together and saved the whole club. Even other Scottish clubs were full of admiration at what we did.

And if Hearts players do the business, the fans always respond. Very many Hearts players clearly fall in love with the club, and with the city. And the fans take them to their hearts.

Times are difficult right now, but it'll change. It always does. Though we can sometimes go down we can aye come back up. That's Hearts; it's a rollercoaster. And things are never as good or as bad as they seem.

Edited by shaun.lawson

gashauskis9
6 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

If this is true then I doubt we’ll see him again.

Bazzas right boot
7 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

He's ****ed then.

Was he drinking?

Nothing wrong with being out, but if drinking he'll get binned.

Gavsy Van Gaverson
3 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

He's ****ed then.

Was he drinking?

Nothing wrong with being out, but if drinking he'll get binned.

I’m not one to grass. But.....

7F6B713B-9D4A-4E9E-970F-67274FF6BF92.png

Edited by Gavsy Van Gaverson

Our fans financial support is fantastic

Is there a sense of entitlement now?

Has Tynecastle become less of a fortress because the fans attitude is counterproductive and speed at which they turn against the team is making it more difficult for the players?

Feels like it.

When Hearts win at Tynecastle now it is despite the fans not because of them IMO.

Edited by Jammy T

I was in the Shandon last night for an 18th and did go down for a fag and thought I seen Clare but assumed I was just pished. I have since heard that he was there at 9pm at the latest. Not sure of he was drinking but thatsba disgrace if so. 

Jambos_1874

Looking back on our history and considering we are a big city club with a sizeable fanbase, our silverware return is woeful. For example, I think we've won 8 SCs on our history IIRC. That is absolutely pathetic. We are a loyal support, as demonstrated by the way we saved the club etc, but I think there is an acknowledgement that we could be so much more and it rightfully frustrates the fans.

Edited by Jambos_1874

ScottieMac17

At the very least I expect hearts players to try there best and show the fans that they want to play for the club. 

If they dont do then I think fans have the right to moan and complain. Especially since being a football fan these days isn’t cheap. 

5 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

Has Tynecastle become less of a fortress because the fans attitude is counterproductive and speed at which they turn against the team is making it more difficult for the players?

Feels like it.

When Hearts win at Tynecastle now it is despite the fans not because of them IMO.

I really object to this blame the fans attitude. Our fans are no different to any other team's, if the football is poor then people will not be happy. We actually support the team in very decent numbers through thick and thin. Generally most people are very supportive of the players but it's only natural that people get frustrated. 

It's really difficult to enthuse over a manager who judging by every interview is in complete denial and a group of players who often don't look that bothered. Really interesting that when we scored today Macgregor went ballistic at his defence, we really lack leaders and more importantly talkers on the pitch. Berra leads by example more than talking. As for our coaches, they are all at the beginning of their careers and it shows, there are no clear ideas of attacking transition and today again we showed how easy it is to get in behind us. 

It's good to have high demands from the fans. Players consistently say how much they appreciate the support even when referencing the booing etc.

I might be remembering wrong. Though fans have always left early it seems different to leave and give up on team when games are still in the balance as has happened this season eg first Rangers game. But again that may just be down to not believing the players are really giving everything they could or capable of changing game. 

Players need to excite the fans.  

Danny Wilde

Complete opposite, the easiest club to play for. Most pros passing through here these days just have to hold a Hearts scarf above their head and mouth off some platitudes about "3rd biggest club". Job done. After that these same pros can coast through a season without any great demands being made upon them, because ultimately whether Hearts finish 3rd, 5th or 6th makes zip-all difference to them. 100K+ salary with little personal pressure. If you're a young player with decent prospects then someone will come along and make a £2M offer, to which Hearts will offer some token public resistance, whilst privately making no real effort to secure your future to Tynie. This all comes from the top of course, board and management...there is no ambition at the club, no long term planning or strategy for actual on the pitch success. We have become (again...)  a regular and easy mark for the old firm, you can save yourself the bother of attending these matches now, given that we regularly bend over for a series of 3-0 or 3-1 defeats. Cup-final will be no different. There's a heck of a lot to thank Anne Budge for, but we're treading water in mid-table from now until doomsday if and until we ever see genuinely ambitious leadership again at the club. 

Edited by Danny Wilde

I think the support is much more forgiving of a player of limited ability who tries his hardest. Quite a few players don't convince me they're trying their best for Hearts. Some apparently on the ridiculous side (Vanacek, who knows about Martin), some because they float in and out. Sometimes Uche chases every lost cause and he's a hero, sometimes he stays down and harrumphs. Play to the whistle, FFS.

34 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

I was in the Shandon last night for an 18th and did go down for a fag and thought I seen Clare but assumed I was just pished. I have since heard that he was there at 9pm at the latest. Not sure of he was drinking but thatsba disgrace if so. 

Is that why he was dropped today or was he injured in the warm-up?

1 hour ago, 1971fozzy said:

I’ve followed hearts since the mid 80’s , and where we are now is that it is quoted that we are an amazing club to play for when all is well, but we are the hardest to play for when we are toiling (from the stands)/.  Fair enough I’d say. It’s hard though, since the days of Levein, Robbo, Colquhoun, Davie Mac; skacel and Hartley we don’t have players of that ilk. 

do we over expect ? 

Do we over expect against the old firm? Maybe. Do we or should we over expect against everyone else with one of the highest budgets in the league, second only to Aberdeen at the moment? Yes, we should. Clubs with much lesser budgets (Killie for example) seem able to put a product on the park with a manager that knows how to motivate their players. Remember where they were before Clarke came in, bottom of the League under McCulloch. I don't think it's unreasonable to be up there with Aberdeen and to a lesser extent, Rangers fighting for second and third. Hibs themselves were struggling before Neil Lennon left and have went unbeaten in the league since Heckingbottom came in so it shows with those two examples a change is sometimes all it takes, and we're not doing it. My worry is the club will suffer financially if something isn't done sooner rather than later.

We should be minimum 3rd place every season (and not even remotely toiling to do it). The money we have spunked on people like Malaury Martin, Juwon Oshaniwa, Connor Sammon & the many others is embarrassing. 

Our current manager hates pace, hates creative players, hates wingers. Footballs evolved, Leveins a dinosaur.

1 hour ago, cocobeab said:

Whether it’s related or not ... to me we saw the best of our support during and immediately after the admin year. Rallied around when chips were down and gave it all supporting young, underpaid, largely local or at least Scottish players. 

100% this for me. It's a really important thing to remember - it's certainly why I fell back in love with actively supporting my team. Then, under the new structure of DoF and a fresh coaching approach made it enjoyable too. It was much more simple, at least compared to now. Although we are pretty honking just now with too many bad players, I honestly don't think we are far away from getting back to a more straightforward time, which will see exciting football and getting it right up the msm, sfa and glasgow middens.

shaun.lawson
1 minute ago, E3OBE said:

We should be minimum 3rd place every season

No, we shouldn't. 

Lets not get away from the fact we are shite, the football is absolutely dire so predictable, in one season Gerard has sussed him out..embarrassing 

8 minutes ago, Gorgiewave said:

Is that why he was dropped today or was he injured in the warm-up?

Took ill in the warm up:ermm:

Shovelly Joe

I think we should be more demanding.  For the size of our club and budget over the past 40 years we should have achieved so much more.  We seem happy to plod along with dominating Hibs and finishing 3rd now and again and everyone’s happy.  I get as a club we are still recovering from the Romanov era in many ways - investment in stadium and youth policy however the quality of football, performances and results are just terrible.  I’ll renew next year more out of hope than any belief that things will improve.  

22 minutes ago, Gorgiewave said:

I think the support is much more forgiving of a player of limited ability who tries his hardest. Quite a few players don't convince me they're trying their best for Hearts. Some apparently on the ridiculous side (Vanacek, who knows about Martin), some because they float in and out. Sometimes Uche chases every lost cause and he's a hero, sometimes he stays down and harrumphs. Play to the whistle, FFS.

Wayne Foster . 

Brian Fantana

The last time the fans were right behind the team was the Aberdeen game last month. A combination of an abysmal refereeing display and a fighting performance led to one of the best atmospheres in the ground all season.

When the team gives the support something to cheer for then usually the fans respond. The problem now is that apathy for most of this current crop of players and manager has set in. We know what to expect from our line up and our game plan, as do opposition teams. And sadly, they never defy expectations in terms of performance. 

1 hour ago, Jammy T said:

Feels like it.

When all else fails, blame the fans.

Your levels of delusion are quite frankly startling.

stevie.nolan.5
2 hours ago, cocobeab said:

Totally agree with this!! 

2 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

do we over expect ? 

Hearts are a great club to play for but presently they're a hard club to watch. We've never tolerated mediocre coaches in the past so why start now.....