Is this the poorest Hearts team to be in a Cup final ?

vegas-voss

1 minute ago, jambomjm74 said:

You are being abusive, so I responded... 

Your comment smacked of someone................. without a clue...............as highlighted by others.........however we all see the game differently and in this instance  I will agree that you were possibly painted in an  un-favourable picture

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Doc

• shaun.lawson

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• Francis Albert

Lord Beni of Gorgie
6 minutes ago, The Doc said:

Was talking about beatties impact in semi but yes, We’re one game away and sometimes strange things happen.

Of course. He made a big impact on the semi 

15 minutes ago, The Doc said:

I don’t think they’re comparable at all but each to their own.

I’m sorry but in my eyes they were..  Webster , grainger, driver - the stick they took that season and we finished mid table  - Elliott is like a carbon copy of McLean.....

3 minutes ago, gedster said:

Your comment smacked of someone................. without a clue...............as highlighted by others.........however we all see the game differently and in this instance  I will agree that you were possibly painted in an  un-favourable picture

No worries - levein has produced real rubbish this year but ..: the players out there are no worse to the 2012 team - the performances have been below that !!!

berra : djoum : Souttar : Smith 

Just now, The Doc said:

We wish jm74.

We wish.

He score today - and the GFA ref let it stand, so a slight difference 

rick witter
2 hours ago, Morgan said:

You think Rick is 'spot on' in saying that we have a 1% chance in the final?

:facepalm:

What shite!!

What chance do we have then. 

Cmon give us your educated opinion. 

You would probably be one of the deluded ones who predicted us to win today. 

shaun.lawson
1 hour ago, teamof1958 said:

Sorry, which planet are you from?

On my planet, Hearts:

- Were crap throughout the late 60s and early 70s

- Were so bad in the late 70s and early 80s, we couldn't even stay in the top division, and when we were promoted, it was a constant scramble

- Were crap between January 1992 and October 1995

- Were absolutely appalling between September 1998 and April 1999

- Were crap in 2001/2, when Livingston beat us four times out of four and we were knocked out of both Cups by lower division sides FFS

- Were crap in 2004/5

- Given what we were spending, were crap in 2006/7, God awful in 2007/8, and crap in 2009/10

- Were crap between January and August 2011

- Were appalling in 2012/13

- Were shocking - albeit, with hope for the future - in 2013/14 

- Were atrocious under Cathro

- Are crap again now

As a fan since nineteen oatcake or whatever, you should know all this. How is it that you don't? "Worst Hearts side ever"... get real man.

Edited by shaun.lawson

8 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

Etc.

You have a detached view on all of this.

If you truly remember all these Hearts teams, then you will know, unlike the current outfit, they could at least pass the ball and play up to their limited abilities. 

Don't see anything funny about it either.

Edited by teamof1958

shaun.lawson
1 hour ago, rick witter said:

You can’t seriously believe that mate. 

Did you watch Celtic against Aberdeen in the semi?? They ripped them apart with wave after wave of attacks and attempts at goal. If they do that to us we have little chance. 

Did you watch Hearts against Celtic in August? We ripped them apart and deserved to win.

Did you watch Hearts against Celtic last season? We destroyed them. 

I can't get over how many football fans who, despite watching this game all their lives, always act like what happened in the most recent game is bound to happen for the rest of eternity. It's football. It's a one-off game. And it ain't Barcelona we're playing either.

6 minutes ago, rick witter said:

What chance do we have then. 

Cmon give us your educated opinion. 

You would probably be one of the deluded ones who predicted us to win today. 

My feckin left eyelid has a more educated opinion than you have Mr Witter.

I will engage with you no further my friend.

We shall part in this way with my heart a light one.

8 minutes ago, busbyblitz said:

Been to every cup final since 1968 v Pars. Apart from 1976 this is only one i'm going into with no confidence whatsover.

Looking back it's incredible we actually expected to beat the Pars in 68.

They put Celtic out the Cup and were reaching the later stages of European competitions. We were 12th in an 18 team league , we would have been a Championship team in today's set up.

However we did put Rangers out after two games and a classic win at Tannadice before limping past Morton in a Semi final replay.

The 76 team by far the worst didn't even play a top flight team all through and replays aplenty Montrose and Dumbarton iirc. It's also worth remembering the 76 team got Hearts relegated for the first time in the clubs history the following season.

Today's team are nowhere near as bad as those teams and although lacking in confidence have already beaten Celtic and ran them close at Tynecastle.

shaun.lawson
Just now, luckydug said:

The 76 team by far the worst didn't even play a top flight team all through and replays aplenty Montrose and Dumbarton iirc. It's also worth remembering the 76 team got Hearts relegated for the first time in the clubs history the following season.

Today's team are nowhere near as bad as those teams and although lacking in confidence have already beaten Celtic and ran them close at Tynecastle.

Exactly this.

rick witter
3 minutes ago, Morgan said:

My feckin left eyelid has a more educated opinion than you have Mr Witter.

I will engage with you no further my friend.

We shall part in this way with my heart a light one.

Exactly. You can’t answer the question. 1% is the chance we have if by some miracle Celtic fail to turn up and maybe we sneak a penalty or something near the end. That’s about the only chance we have. 

rick witter
1 minute ago, shaun.lawson said:

Exactly this.

We have also lost 5-0 to them at Parkhead and 3-0 at Murrayfield. We have won one and lost 3 this season against them. Not to mention Celtic have not lost a domestic game since the winter break. 

shaun.lawson
Just now, rick witter said:

We have also lost 5-0 to them at Parkhead and 3-0 at Murrayfield. We have won one and lost 3 this season against them. Not to mention Celtic have not lost a domestic game since the winter break. 

The 1% chance you quote is of us winning the league. Of being better than Celtic over 38 games.

In a one-off game, guess what? We have a much much better chance. Neither Celtic nor their fans will be taking us lightly.

29 minutes ago, busbyblitz said:

Been to every cup final since 1968 v Pars. Apart from 1976 this is only one i'm going into with no confidence whatsover.

Are you now a ‘Levein Out’ man busby??

Maroon Sailor
5 hours ago, jambmoz said:

Too young to know about the 76 team but this is a very poor cup final team with very little chance of winning. 

This final has all the hallmarks of that 76 final.

Rangers going for the treble and far superior players. Hearts took an enternity to get to the final and they never played any team of note.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

You could argue Celtic 2012 were stronger than Celtic 2019.

It's a one off.  We get 10 out of our strongest 11 a punchers chance. 

The game is not at Tynecastle which weirdly seems better .

93 points to 52 in 12 Celtic also lost to Kilmarnock in the League Cup final. 

I understand it's not easy today to believe. History tells us different. 

Average sides or inconsistent teams do provide shocks

Edited by Sir Gio

4 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

On my planet, Hearts:

- Were crap throughout the late 60s and early 70s

- Were so bad in the late 70s and early 80s, we couldn't even stay in the top division, and when we were promoted, it was a constant scramble

- Were crap between January 1992 and October 1995

- Were absolutely appalling between September 1998 and April 1999

- Were crap in 2001/2, when Livingston beat us four times out of four and we were knocked out of both Cups by lower division sides FFS

- Were crap in 2004/5

- Given what we were spending, were crap in 2006/7, God awful in 2007/8, and crap in 2009/10

- Were crap between January and August 2011

- Were appalling in 2012/13

- Were shocking - albeit, with hope for the future - in 2013/14 

- Were atrocious under Cathro

- Are crap again now

As a fan since nineteen oatcake or whatever, you should know all this. How is it that you don't? "Worst Hearts side ever"... get real man.

You've just about got me on suicide watch.  Wish I could contest a word of your post.

Am I wrong in saying thought that this side at its' strongest is highly competitive on their day?

If I'm right, let's hope their day is 25th May.  I'm not scared of Celtic one bit.  I'm scared of us.

Sexton Hardcastle

Christ. Even the idiots hertz boys on twitter outdoing themselves.

that pair form fife lockheart and Kirkwood getting all worked up and trying to rip into everyone. The others day firing into some lassy as she had a pile of loyalty points.

Take a step back, stop trying to make yourself relatable or likeable on twitter and speak your own mind rather than spraffin the opinions of others. It became pathetic a long time ago seeking likes off fellow UJ wavers. The lowest of the low.

loveofthegame

It may not be worse than the 2013 team, or generally that much worse than the 2012 team (albeit that team had Rudi so is automatically lightyears ahead in terms of class), but it is certainly the team that has the least chance of winning going into a final. 

Right now it is hard to fathom how we will beat that Celtic side at Hampden.

It’s a day out that I intend to fully enjoy. Then the final will start and I have only the faintest of hope to win it. Of course a miracle can happen, but it’s unlikely. 

I think we have some decent players. The problem is that the manager and coaches are rank rotten and make them into very poor players. They manage to turn decent players into rubbish. Quite a feat but they do it very successfully.

if Celtic turn up the games well over by half time. If that happens then the hope is that Levein and his sidekicks walk out the stadium not to return.

12 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

Did you watch Hearts against Celtic in August? We ripped them apart and deserved to win.

Did you watch Hearts against Celtic last season? We destroyed them. 

I can't get over how many football fans who, despite watching this game all their lives, always act like what happened in the most recent game is bound to happen for the rest of eternity. It's football. It's a one-off game. And it ain't Barcelona we're playing either.

Th other thing that folk can’t seem to get get their heads round is  the fact that the cup final will be the highlight of nearly all of our squads careers to date. Exclude Naismith and McLean from that. In all probability it will be the highlight of many of their careers period. Due to the number of long-term injuries we currently have, Mitchell, Garruchio, Keena, Morrison et al there 15 or 16 players who know that if they are fit they will be stripped on 25 May. Human nature says they will be trying to avoid injury and suspension in the remaining league games so I’d think we will get similar to yesterday in terms of desire and application. Hopefully I’m wrong for next Sunday but wouldn’t hold my breath on it. Yesterday’s effort was all too easy to call. 

pettigrewsstylist

Not on paper no. But,,, this my 7th Cup final as Hearts supporter and i have never ever been anything but optimistic/hopeful looking forward to it and believing.

Im dreading a humiliating thrashing in front of the whole country, or an anti football display that guarantees defeat but perhaps by smaller margin.

Never known anything like this.

That squad are petrified of ugly sisters.

Edited by pettigrewsstylist

As so many supporters do not believe we can win the final; can I expect slow sales and plenty of tickets available? I won't rush to buy my ticket as a lot of people believe we have no chance and therefore, I presume that they will not be going on the day?

1976 team probably poorest in my watching days, in my lifetime was the 1968 team any good in comparison?

Current team when everybody fit is superior to 1976 version.

14 hours ago, teamof1958 said:

Etc.

You have a detached view on all of this.

If you truly remember all these Hearts teams, then you will know, unlike the current outfit, they could at least pass the ball and play up to their limited abilities. 

Don't see anything funny about it either.

As a betting man, i’d wager, quite confidently, that Shaun never seen any of those teams he mentioned in another windbag post. Definitely not regularly enough to come to an opinion on how good, or bad, those seasons were.

Worst in my lifetime.

The standard of Scottish football is utterly, utterly dreadful now, and we are totally shite within that context. 

54 minutes ago, daveyhmfc said:

As so many supporters do not believe we can win the final; can I expect slow sales and plenty of tickets available? I won't rush to buy my ticket as a lot of people believe we have no chance and therefore, I presume that they will not be going on the day?

An odd presumption. I think we have no chance, but will be going along to support the team. 

Phil Dunphy
5 hours ago, loveofthegame said:

It may not be worse than the 2013 team, or generally that much worse than the 2012 team (albeit that team had Rudi so is automatically lightyears ahead in terms of class), but it is certainly the team that has the least chance of winning going into a final. 

Right now it is hard to fathom how we will beat that Celtic side at Hampden.

There's the difference right there. 

In Skacel, we had a player that could make something out of nothing. Who do we have in our side who can do that?

****ing no-one.

N Lincs Jambo

When we started the season we had a front 3 of Naismith, Lafferty and Ikpeazu. In defence we had Berra, Souttar, Smith. In midfield the standout for me has been Peter Haring. If we had all the above (except Lafferty obviously) 100% fit I’d expect us to be able to go to Hampden and compete. Without Naismith and Haring especially I can’t see who we can play that will trouble anyone in the top 6 let alone Celtic in Glasgow going for something which has never previously been achieved, ie the “treble treble “. Just hope to feck we can get them fit for the final.

1 hour ago, daveyhmfc said:

Probably fortunate that the tickets are going on sale before the rest of our league “campaign”. That way it’s possible we’ll actually sell out.

15 hours ago, luckydug said:

Looking back it's incredible we actually expected to beat the Pars in 68.

They put Celtic out the Cup and were reaching the later stages of European competitions. We were 12th in an 18 team league , we would have been a Championship team in today's set up.

However we did put Rangers out after two games and a classic win at Tannadice before limping past Morton in a Semi final replay.

I don't remember much about the 68 cup final except that I was gutted that we lost.

1 hour ago, daveyhmfc said:

I don't expect to win the final, especially on current form, we might even get a real doing, but It's a final and I can't not go, just in case...!

15 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

The 1% chance you quote is of us winning the league. Of being better than Celtic over 38 games.

In a one-off game, guess what? We have a much much better chance. Neither Celtic nor their fans will be taking us lightly.

I wish they would it’s our only chance. 

If we can get the following on the pitch on the 25th of May then its not a bad side;

Zlamal

Smith

Souttar

Berra

Burns

Haring

Djoum

Clare

Naismith

Mulraney

Ikpeazu

N Lincs Jambo
18 minutes ago, 8skacel8 said:

If we can get the following on the pitch on the 25th of May then its not a bad side;

Zlamal

Smith

Souttar

Berra

Burns

Haring

Djoum

Clare

Naismith

Mulraney

Ikpeazu

That side would have a chance provided they are all 100% fit. 

I have been to every Hearts SC Final since 1976.  They reached the final with an 'easy' ride of:

3rd Rnd Clyde replay

4th Rnd Stirling Alb.

QF Montrose reply

SF Dumbarton reply

This current squad is the poorest that made the final but the Bobby Moncur team of 1980-81 was by far the worse.

maroonshrew

This side, league performance wise, will finish pretty close to that 11/12 side. They lost 16 and drew 5 in the league and with us on L14 D5 we will end up pretty close. 

Things are romanticised in time and because of the historic nature of that win but we weren't a particularly great side in 11/12. I think if you were to do a combined line up, it'd be a 50/50 split. 

21 minutes ago, 8skacel8 said:

Zlamal

Smith

Souttar

Berra

Burns

Haring

Djoum

Clare

Naismith

Mulraney

Ikpeazu

I would worry for Burns on a big Hampden pitch.  Maybe a back three and someone to manmark Brown.

29 minutes ago, Tasavallan said:

I would worry for Burns on a big Hampden pitch.  Maybe a back three and someone to manmark Brown.

Was thinking the same as Forrest is very quick. 

Could play the same players but drop Burns and add another centre mid. Play Mulraney and Clare as wingbacks with Smith as the third centre half.

16 hours ago, rick witter said:

True, but they were on an unbeaten domestic run of mammoth proportions before we beat them 4-0 last season. I don’t expect us to win (I expect we’ll get thrashed) but weirder things have happened.

rick witter
3 minutes ago, Doc Rob said:

True, but they were on an unbeaten domestic run of mammoth proportions before we beat them 4-0 last season. I don’t expect us to win (I expect we’ll get thrashed) but weirder things have happened.

Correct hence I think our chances are 1%. However slim there is always a chance. 

Maroon Sailor
1 hour ago, Tasavallan said:

I have been to every Hearts SC Final since 1976.  They reached the final with an 'easy' ride of:

3rd Rnd Clyde replay

4th Rnd Stirling Alb.

QF Montrose reply

SF Dumbarton reply

This current squad is the poorest that made the final but the Bobby Moncur team of 1980-81 was by far the worse.

Took 3 matches to knock out Montrose

Pasquale for King
On 20/04/2019 at 21:45, Sir Gio said:

The 2012 team lost 4 0 at home to Celtic prior to beating them in the semi. It also lost 3 0 at Motherwell for example. It lost to Dundee United often it lost to St Johnstone often. 

It's ok now it has the most famous day banked.

But mostly it was shite 

Yet you have Sergio as your avatar, we also owned Hibs and beat Celtic at home and Rangers at Ibrox in season where we were in turmoil off the pitch and the manager only made one signing.