Is this the poorest Hearts team to be in a Cup final ?

vegas-voss

shaun.lawson
22 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

Am I wrong in saying thought that this side at its' strongest is highly competitive on their day?

No, not at all! I've got plenty of hope for the final. Winning it is absolutely possible. We'd just need to play really well and get the rub of the green at times.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Doc

• shaun.lawson

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• Francis Albert

Pasquale for King
15 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

It’s a day out that I intend to fully enjoy. Then the final will start and I have only the faintest of hope to win it. Of course a miracle can happen, but it’s unlikely. 

I think we have some decent players. The problem is that the manager and coaches are rank rotten and make them into very poor players. They manage to turn decent players into rubbish. Quite a feat but they do it very successfully.

if Celtic turn up the games well over by half time. If that happens then the hope is that Levein and his sidekicks walk out the stadium not to return.

Spot on, Lennons Celtic are poor and Levein needs to wind them up and put the pressure on them.

JamboGraham
22 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

I'm not scared of Celtic one bit.  I'm scared of us.

Every so often a post jumps out and smacks you square on the nose...this is exactly it for me, it sums up everything about Hearts at the moment...

Lord Beni of Gorgie
7 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Yet you have Sergio as your avatar, we also owned Hibs and beat Celtic at home and Rangers at Ibrox in season where we were in turmoil off the pitch and the manager only made one signing.

Hibs were really bad though. Just staved off relegation. 

The signings only go to reinforce my point. 

2019 is underachieving but certainly capable of a great result. But it does need Steven Naismith. If he is going to be missing we have very little chance 

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Hibs were really bad though. Just staved off relegation. 

The signings only go to reinforce my point. 

2019 is underachieving but certainly capable of a great result. But it does need Steven Naismith. If he is going to be missing we have very little chance 

Yeah they were 11th that season. If Naismith makes it he’s not going to be fully fit but his organisation will help. I think we need a hell of a lot of luck to win it, something our manager doesn’t seem to be blessed with.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
2 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Yeah they were 11th that season. If Naismith makes it he’s not going to be fully fit but his organisation will help. I think we need a hell of a lot of luck to win it, something our manager doesn’t seem to be blessed with.

I think so too, we need the breaks, before and during, getting people there healthy, keeping them healthy, our star players to play well and the other 7 or so to play above the level they have mostly been at this season.

I fancy Harry Cochrane will play if he is fit, that could be something that gives us a little extra.

An amazing stat though, since the winter break Celtic domestically have conceded only 3 goals. Our penalty, the Motherwell goal when they played on when Celtic expected the ball back and the Rangers goal in the last derby. That's how tough a task it is for any team.

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

I think so too, we need the breaks, before and during, getting people there healthy, keeping them healthy, our star players to play well and the other 7 or so to play above the level they have mostly been at this season.

I fancy Harry Cochrane will play if he is fit, that could be something that gives us a little extra.

An amazing stat though, since the winter break Celtic domestically have conceded only 3 goals. Our penalty, the Motherwell goal when they played on when Celtic expected the ball back and the Rangers goal in the last derby. That's how tough a task it is for any team.

Lennon has them playing in a more defensive fashion and taking less risks at the back, they’re not as good going forward as a result. It will be tough and everything will need to align for us to win but you never know.

Francis Albert
On ‎20‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 17:01, jambmoz said:

Too young to know about the 76 team but this is a very poor cup final team with very little chance of winning. 

It wasn't a vintage side (to put it mildly) but it finished one place above the current team and closer to the OF and even possibly Hibs.

Cruickie, , Brown, Ralph Callahan, Busby, Bobby Prentice, Dave Clunie, Jefferies, Kenny Aird, Willie Gibson, Roy Kay would all walk into today's side. Other regulars Don Murray, Graham Shaw were certainly no worse than some of our current regulars.  We won at Ibrox and beat Celtic twice at home (LC and League, albeit the league game was a nothing atstake end of season game ... but who would bet on us beating Celtic this season in those circumstances).

So I think this season is the worst ... until we win it at least!

Edited by Francis Albert

People are exaggerating massively if they think our current squad is worse than 1976.

Bad as we are we are in no danger of relegation. 

The late seventies were probably the worst ever time to be a Hearts supporter.

It had been a downward spiral ever since losing the league on the final day in 1965.

Francis Albert
On ‎20‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 22:07, luckydug said:

Looking back it's incredible we actually expected to beat the Pars in 68.

They put Celtic out the Cup and were reaching the later stages of European competitions. We were 12th in an 18 team league , we would have been a Championship team in today's set up.

However we did put Rangers out after two games and a classic win at Tannadice before limping past Morton in a Semi final replay.

The 76 team by far the worst didn't even play a top flight team all through and replays aplenty Montrose and Dumbarton iirc. It's also worth remembering the 76 team got Hearts relegated for the first time in the clubs history the following season.

Today's team are nowhere near as bad as those teams and although lacking in confidence have already beaten Celtic and ran them close at Tynecastle.

First sentence agreed ... but it was only three years since we lost the league on the last day of the season so our delusions of grandeur were fresh - we also had a few players you looked forward to watching and in the Rangers and Dundee United ties achieved something the current team has not come close to in either cup run this season. In the league we were a lot closer to Dunfermline than we are to Celtic now let alone by the 25th May.

Edited by Francis Albert

3 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

It wasn't a vintage side (to put it mildly) but it finished one place above the current team and closer to the OF and even possibly Hibs.

Cruickie, , Brown, Ralph Callahan, Busby, Bobby Prentice, Dave Clunie, Jefferies, Kenny Aird, Willie Gibson, Roy Kay would all walk into today's side. Other regulars Don Murray, Graham Shaw were certainly no worse than some of our current regulars.  We won at Ibrox and beat Celtic twice at home (LC and League, albeit the league game was a nothing atstake end of season game ... but who would bet on us beating Celtic this season in those circumstances).

I think you’re being more than charitable to a number of the players above. Jefferies was actually a pretty poor player and would never be in any team ahead of Berra or Souttar. Don Murray was also a poor, poor player. Not sure Roy Kay or Kenny Aird could lay claim to being better than what we have at the moment either.

It’s  a pity Ford was no longer with us for the 1976 final.

2 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

They were so good they managed to get us relegated for the first time in our history the following season.

Talk about time playing tricks with your memories.

They were utter dugshit and the fans at the time thought so too crowds dropped spectacularly 10k was considered a good turn out.

I know we are going through a bad patch but there is no need to dramatise things into something it's not.

1967 to 1983 the worst period in the clubs history comparing today's team to then is just wrong.

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, luckydug said:

They were so good they managed to get us relegated for the first time in our history the following season.

Talk about time playing tricks with your memories.

They were utter dugshit and the fans at the time thought so too crowds dropped spectacularly 10k was considered a good turn out.

I know we are going through a bad patch but there is no need to dramatise things into something it's not.

1967 to 1983 the worst period in the clubs history comparing today's team to then is just wrong.

Agreed about 67 to 83, worst at least in my lifetime. I was there. But I went to the 68 and 76 finals more confident than I am going to this one, which I admit is not saying much. And we would have been relegated long before if we had played in a ten team league.

As for today's team they won't I hope be around long enough to make a fair comparison!

Edited by Francis Albert

8 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Agreed about 67 to 83, worst at least in my lifetime. I was there. But I went to the 68 and 76 finals more confident than I am going to this one, which I admit is not saying much. And we would have been relegated long before if we had played in a ten team league.

As for today's team they won't I hope be around long enough to make a fair comparison!

I'm just surprised to find someone like yourself joining in with the worst ever team chat.

11 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

I certainly didn't have any real confidence in 68 or 76.  Dunfermline were a far better outfit than us in 68. The 76 squad were dreadful. I have a little more confidence in today’s lot -   but only if we get our best team out on the park and all of them play to their very best. Recent displays suggest that is a forlorn  hope. Some of them seem to have lost interest and self esteem - totally unacceptable.

14 minutes ago, Deevers said:

I certainly didn't have any real confidence in 68 or 76.  Dunfermline were a far better outfit than us in 68. The 76 squad were dreadful. I have a little more confidence in today’s lot -   but only if we get our best team out on the park and all of them play to their very best. Recent displays suggest that is a forlorn  hope. Some of them seem to have lost interest and self esteem - totally unacceptable.

If they can't get motivated for a National Cup Final then they should all be looking for new careers .

Just now, luckydug said:

If they can't get motivated for a National Cup Final then they should all be looking for new careers .

Exactly - same goes for the next game against the vermin. 

Francis Albert
18 minutes ago, Deevers said:

I think we were only about 9 points behind Dunfermine in the league in  68 and had great wins against Dundee United and Rangers en route to Hampden. Compare with this season?

Would this team have fought out a 6-5 win at Tannadice  and drawn at Ibrox and won the replay?

Edited by Francis Albert

3 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Yet that's genuinely a worry, I can take us losing if the players give everything, hopefully we can get a wee bit of luck and win the cup but I'll be seething if we roll over and don't even make a game of it.

5 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

I think we were only about 9 points behind Dunfermine in the league in  68 and had great wins against Dundee United and Rangers en route to Hampden. Compare with this season?

True, we had great results against Dundee United and Rangers in that run, but some of our league results were dire.  Dunfermline were a class side at that time. Well drilled with good players. We were totally outplayed in the final.  As for 76 the least said about that the better. Dire right from kickoff.

Edited by Deevers

Francis Albert
28 minutes ago, luckydug said:

I'm just surprised to find someone like yourself joining in with the worst ever team chat.

Where did I say this was the worst Hearts team ever?

Francis Albert
12 minutes ago, Deevers said:

True, we had great results against Dundee United and Rangers in that run, but some of our league results were dire.  Dunfermline were a class side at that time. Well drilled with good players. We were totally outplayed in the final.  As for 76 the least said about that the better. Dire right from kickoff.

But we were just 9 points behind Dunfermline in the league, and they were as far behind the leader as we are now.  We had a couple of great results and three great performances against teams above us in the league on the way to the final. So we had far more reason to be confident heading to Hampden in 68 than we have in 2019.

Edited by Francis Albert

N Lincs Jambo
11 minutes ago, Deevers said:

Dunfermline were still a class side as you say and got to the semi final of the Cup Winners Cup the following season losing to Eventual winners Slovan Bratislava.

Francis Albert
6 minutes ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

Dunfermline were still a class side as you say and got to the semi final of the Cup Winners Cup the following season losing to Eventual winners Slovan Bratislava.

But they finished 24 points off top of the Scottish League and 22 points behind the second top. When it was 2 points for a win. So they were far less formidable opponents domestically than Celtic are now. 

colinmaroon
On ‎20‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 17:14, Cruyff Turn said:

Still a PHM btw. 

Too true and the ignorance of the post you replied too is clear!

1 hour ago, Francis Albert said:

But they finished 24 points off top of the Scottish League and 22 points behind the second top. When it was 2 points for a win. So they were far less formidable opponents domestically than Celtic are now. 

True,  it having said that Celtic were just at the beginning of a great run league wise and had a pretty good team. Dunfermline could give most teams in that league a good run for their money.  We were a side that blew hot and cold. At out best we were very good at worst we were very average. Exactly what we were in that final.

Cruyff Turn
2 hours ago, colinmaroon said:

Too true and the ignorance of the post you replied too is clear!

Indeed. Imagine being born a died in the wool Jambo and being able to wear the jersey over 100 times. Respect ✊?