Is this the poorest Hearts team to be in a Cup final ?

vegas-voss

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Doc

• shaun.lawson

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• Morgan

1 minute ago, S Form said:

1976 team would run them close, I think.

8 years before my time supporting Hearts so I will take your word for.They must have been brutal ?

Probably.

Thinking back....v Rangers 98, Cameron, Adam, Salvatori, Flogel, Fulton, Weir and the rest.

v Gretna 06, Fyssas, Skacel, Hartley, Jankauskas, and the others.

v Hibs 12... Skacel, Grainger, Suso, Driver blah de blah...

yes, I think it probably is.

That said, I don't think we have bad, bad players in particular, just players that are coached incorrectly.

Edited by jambonian

4 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

8 years before my time supporting Hearts so I will take your word for.They must have been brutal ?

Shuggy Shaw was one of the stars of the team - says it all.

Seymour M Hersh
10 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Simple question really.I look at the team sheet most weeks and I just think what a poor side.

Definitely simple.

1976 was a poor side, subsequently became the first ever Hearts side to be relegated in 1977

The current side don’t have the belief to beat Celtic in a cup final

The '76 team and John Haggart would beat this feeble, gutless Craig Levein shambles. Even allowing for the latters superior fitness, training facilities. 

One look at Drew Busby and co and today's lot would burst oot greetin'. 

9 minutes ago, jambonian said:

Probably.

Thinking back....v Rangers 98, Cameron, Adam, Salvatori, Flogel, Fulton, Weir and the rest.

v Gretna 06, Fyssas, Skacel, Hartley, Jankauskas, and the others.

v Hibs 12... Skacel, Grainger, Suso, Driver blah de blah...

yes, I think it probably is.

That said, I don't think we have bad, bad players in particular, just players that are coached incorrectly.

‘86 v Aberdeen had Jardine,Levein,Mackay,Colquhoun,Clark,Robertson.

’96 v Rangers had, Rousett, Ritchie,  McPherson,Bruno,Pointon, Colquhoun, Johnston, Robertson.

Any of the Hearts cup final teams in my lifetime would hammer the current lot.

Edited by iantjambo

Thought Police
Just now, Pants Shaton said:

That team v St Mirren were no great shakes 

Beat me to it

Class of 75

Worst Hearts team I have seen for a while. Even the team under Gary Locke which was eventually relegated had more fight and guile than this lot under Levein. 

Edited by Class of 75

Cruyff Turn

The team v St Mirren were pretty awful, yet we had a few leaders and certainly a few guys who could create something. 

This lot are a bunch of imposters bar a select few. 

Worst SC final team certainly. 

Trapper John McIntyre

The '76 team would beat the present squad but were an admittedly comparatively poor team in regards to other cup final sides we've fielded, even ones that lost. They were on  hiding to nothing against that Rangers team and even a strong Hearts team would have struggled.

On saying that they could still have avoided the ignominy of relegation that year. There were decent players in that squad. It could have been avoided along with the subsequent years of decline that followed.

Edited by Trapper John McIntyre

5 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

’96 v Rangers had, Rousett, Ritchie,  McPherson,Bruno,Pointon, Colquhoun, Johnston, Robertson.

yes, I was going to mention those teams as well but just went with the winning ones. But I agree, those were actually pretty decent teams as well, even the 96 League Cup Final team v (proper) Rangers.

8 minutes ago, Pants Shaton said:

7 minutes ago, Thought Police said:

Beat me to it

12BD501D-2A21-4306-AF99-EFD0F9A39EC1.png

Not great.

Would still fancy them against the current spineless lot though.

Edited by iantjambo

Simply put yes. 100% yes.

and without a doubt the worst management team. Player wise we are decent but the management are shit

Our LC final team v St Mirren was poor, but it had Ryan Stevenson who produced one of the best individual performances on the day I’ve seen from a Hearts player. The rest of them were a disgrace that day.

Our current team doesn’t have a Ryan Stevenson though. However, if Naismith is somehow fit he is a game changer for us.

They aren't poor, it is the coaching and style of play.

They are capable of so much better performances. So up and down with Levein but against Celtic, and particularly Lennon, he's performed better. So I still have hope for the cup final!

A team of cult heroes.

29 minutes ago, Pants Shaton said:

I still think they are better than this lot.

2013 League Cup final side probably was worse in terms of personnel but bigger on heart.

Still should have won that final. ?

54 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Simple question really.I look at the team sheet most weeks and I just think what a poor side.

No.

41 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

That 86 team lost to an Alex Ferguson Aberdeen team who were one solid side.They would go to town with this current side. Starting to wonder if it's worth my while busting a gut to get to Hampden next month.

Sorry for the certain troll type post.

queensferryjambo

We hardly ever get to cup finals so hardly a lot to compare with. 

We were within minutes of the league title in 86 and got hammered in the cup final. I thought the 1996 team was full of great players and they got pumped 5-1 will this team lose by a bigger margin? I think the 98 team was excellent but they got pumped stupid by Rangers in both home games season 97/98 - 5-2 and 3-0.

This thread is a pointless jab at a team who have gotten us to a final - lots of much better teams have let us down badly long before this stage. 

Instead of trying to slag off one of only a handful of teams who have been successful enough to get there try getting behind them.

Yes.

I'd say that individually, we have some pretty decent players.

As a 'team" though they are shite, this being down to the way they are set-up by the manager.  Confidence seems to be very low and in turn, it appears that the majority of them don't give a hoot about playing for Hearts.

1976 team was shite too but at least had some fight and pride.

shaun.lawson

1976 wins easily. And the 2013 League Cup Final side was much, much worse than this.

It's a bit of a daft question, because Hearts so rarely reach finals when we don't have a good or very good side. And the only time we've ever won anything when we hadn't had a great season beforehand was 2012. We're extremely fortunate to be in a position whereby one huge performance transforms the entire season into a great success. So let's take it.

3 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

1976 wins easily. And the 2013 League Cup Final side was much, much worse than this.

It's a bit of a daft question, because Hearts so rarely reach finals when we don't have a good or very good side. And the only time we've ever won anything when we hadn't had a great season beforehand was 2012. We're extremely fortunate to be in a position whereby one huge performance transforms the entire season into a great success. So let's take it.

It would have to be awfy 'huge' Shaun.

It's Celtic, in Glasgow, going for the 'treble treble'.  What proverbial rabbit from the hat could Craig pull for this scenario?

That's too 'huge' an ask for this team.  Surely?

Please let me be wrong.

I think people are looking at the '12 team with maroon tinted specs. If that team was about to play Celtic in a final, we'd be just as pessimistic. 

37 minutes ago, rick witter said:

It’s a team that has a 1% chance of winning that’s for sure. 

Spot on terrifies me even thinking about the final 

shaun.lawson
4 minutes ago, Morgan said:

It would have to be awfy 'huge' Shaun.

It's Celtic, in Glasgow, going for the 'treble treble'.  What proverbial rabbit from the hat could Craig pull for this scenario?

That's too 'huge' an ask for this team.  Surely?

Please let me be wrong.

Not necessarily.

1. We have a manager who has beaten Celtic twice over these last two seasons. Thrashing them to within an inch of their lives on the first of those occasions.

2. They have a manager who, at Hampden, has lost to Ross County, Kilmarnock, Hearts, St Mirren... and has been knocked out of Cup competitions, at home, by Morton and Aberdeen.

3. Who (if fit) is our trump card? Steven Naismith of course. Who's every bit as vital to this side as Rudi was to the 2011/12 side. A fit Naismith then makes Uche a much more effective threat too. 

Of course we're second favourites; of course we'll need the rub of the green. But we have a chance too. It's not a hopeless quest at all. 

19 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Yes.

I'd say that individually, we have some pretty decent players.

As a 'team" though they are shite, this being down to the way they are set-up by the manager.  Confidence seems to be very low and in turn, it appears that the majority of them don't give a hoot about playing for Hearts.

1976 team was shite too but at least had some fight and pride.

Or is Levein who can't get them motivated to win 3 points over a poor rangers team.

10 minutes ago, Normthebarman said:

I think people are looking at the '12 team with maroon tinted specs. If that team was about to play Celtic in a final, we'd be just as pessimistic. 

Possibly.

That 2012 team would beat our team today. I have zero doubts about that.

Oh for a Suso, Rudi or Andy Driver at Hampden ?

The 2012 team were similar.. although they played the wee team which was easy peasy and but for Paulo showing compassion would have been 7 or 8 .... “it could have been ten”

They had to beat a better Celtic team on the way to the final than the one ahead of us...

so whilst levein has them playing within themselves... there is always a chance and to quote keegan..: I’d love it !!!

shaun.lawson
42 minutes ago, rick witter said:

It’s a team that has a 1% chance of winning that’s for sure. 

About 30% IMO.

1 hour ago, vegas-voss said:

Going to the final out of love for the maroon jersey and with a big dose of blind faith. 

The sad thing is there’ll hardly be any pre match talk of who should play where, who can hurt Celtic and what different ways we can play to get the win.

We are that bland, lacking variety and exciting options. 

shaun.lawson
1 minute ago, The Doc said:

Possibly.

That 2012 team would beat our team today. I have zero doubts about that.

Oh for a Suso, Rudi or Andy Driver at Hampden ?

The 2012 side were a very average lot until Beattie joined us. He gave us such an X-factor that day. 

1 minute ago, shaun.lawson said:

The 2012 side were a very average lot until Beattie joined us. He gave us such an X-factor that day. 

Never started the final of course.

We had a player in black who was able to boss the midfield, wide players who played the pitch perfectly and Rudi who hated the vermin.

We have none of that on the 25th May 2019

shaun.lawson
6 minutes ago, The Doc said:

Never started the final of course.

We had a player in black who was able to boss the midfield, wide players who played the pitch perfectly and Rudi who hated the vermin.

We have none of that on the 25th May 2019

Ah - but like Norm above, what I'm doing here is comparing the meeting ahead with Lennon's Celtic with the semi-final with Lennon's Celtic.

Would our current side be big favourites against Hibs 2012? Of course it would. The question's whether we can raise it and produce one glorious, inspirational effort in a similar way to the semi-final seven years ago.

I actually think the group of players we have are that bad, would even be comparable to the 2012 team. Just very, very poorly managed.