Style of football

cocomac

It's horrible to watch. Today was as bad as it's ever been. Why can't we pass the ball on the ground? We were much more effective the few times we managed it today. Listened to Craig on the radio on the way back - He said we tried to press high but it did not work.  Why not focus on having and keeping the ball Craig rather than pumping it up to them and then pressing !!!! We played sh*t today and the tactics had a lot to do with that! After 30 years of being a season ticket holder and was just about to renew but seriously having 2nd thoughts as I could not watch that every other Saturday. 

Edited by cocomac

Going forward, from open play without Naismith we have nothing.

Lee, MacLean, Uche are all better with him leading them.

Its very worrying

How many times do we give away procession from the Berra Punt? I admire Berra as a player but having him pump the ball up the park consistently,  makes the fans get on his back. We don't even win territory from it , we just give it away. 

2 minutes ago, SpruceBringsteen said:

Beyond caring tbh, it's not going to change so why have a coronary about it.

Yeh it was actually a better result than I predicted tbh. Thought we'd get 0. Will try and lift myself for the final at the end of the season but we'll all be kidding ourselves on.

gowestjambo

This style of Football is no better than we suffered when cathro was in charge. In fact it may even be worse.

Clueless all over the park, no energy, no passion, no committment and no discernable tactics other than an aimless punt up the park.

Playing at home, we immediately concede possession and territory. Who is to blame? There is only one man and he is Craig Levein.

rick witter
2 minutes ago, gowestjambo said:

This style of Football is no better than we suffered when cathro was in charge. In fact it may even be worse.

Clueless all over the park, no energy, no passion, no committment and no discernable tactics other than an aimless punt up the park.

Playing at home, we immediately concede possession and territory. Who is to blame? There is only one man and he is Craig Levein.

It is definitely worse. Far worse. 

Levein is taking us for mugs given his after match comments. We showed no sign of squeezing play or trying to win the ball in their defensive areas. First goals came from poor decision making and ponderous midfield play. So easy to read and build attacks from and that is clearly what rangers saw as a weakness. 

It's been that way since the tail end of Neilson's involvement. For me cracks were already starting to appear before he left and bringing in Cathro just made it worse. An experienced manager should've been brought in there and then. We've wasted enough money on poor players, or, are they actually poor or is it just that they can't or won't play in the style that Levein's philosophy bores us all with? I'm fed up with players coming here and falling away after a short time. So many have come and gone and still we're no better. So, are they just poor players in general? Is the training of players poor? Is the scouting of players really so bad? Somethings amiss and we're all sick to the back teeth of watching shit week in week out, barring the odd (and I mean very odd) occasion.

2 minutes ago, Morph said:

We did not try to press high :laugh: 

I’m with you on that one!!

the rangers defence had the cigars out today!!

if levein thinks we pressed them then I don’t understand what it means.

mcgregor had all day to pick the ball up also.

there was no urgency about us anywhere on the park today and I include the bench!!

didnt see any coach getting irate or gesturing things!!!

lack of effort and desire all over the place today.

was like a pre season game or a testimonial.

I think one of our biggest problems is Berra doesn’t want the ball to play it out from the back. Being one option short is enough to put too much pressure on the others to work it out from the back safely and leads to punts. 

It’s all very robotic. 

Zero creativity and we seemed more bothered about our defensive shape.

Wasn’t a fan of the narrow back four today and at times it felt like we had gone down to 10 men.

Levein has completely ruined this team.

22 minutes ago, gowestjambo said:

This style of Football is no better than we suffered when LEVEIN was FIRST in charge. In fact it may even be worse.

STFY

loveofthegame

I’ve been saying it a long time- I’m not interested in being associated with the Hibs flair myth, winning is what ultimately matters, but what this team of levein’s is serving up pretty much weekly is utterly utterly eye bleeding. I’m sick of it and for that reason not making any effort to attend another game until the cup final, which I fully expect to lose comfortably (but will continue to dream otherwise).

gowestjambo
7 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

STFY

Cheers Cruicky, thanks for pointing out my obvious mistake!!

4 minutes ago, loveofthegame said:

I’ve been saying it a long time- I’m not interested in being associated with the Hibs flair myth, winning is what ultimately matters, but what this team of levein’s is serving up pretty much weekly is utterly utterly eye bleeding. I’m sick of it and for that reason not making any effort to attend another game until the cup final, which I fully expect to lose comfortably (but will continue to dream otherwise).

Absolutely. But when you’re on the kind of run we’ve been on since October, what is being dished up does come into the equation.

Nobody cares about the style when you’re winning games obviously.

I’d rather lose at Ibrox having a go than meekly surrendering before a ball was kicked, for example.

Edit - agreeing with you basically although I will be back for my sins.

Edited by The Doc

kingantti1874
25 minutes ago, rick witter said:

It is definitely worse. Far worse. 

Let’s not re-write history, levein needs to go yes but under Cathro we were a confused, hopeless joke of a team, statistically the worst hearts team in history, and would have been relegated if he were there from start of season. 2nd to second bottom.. 

21 minutes ago, Sid said:

I think one of our biggest problems is Berra doesn’t want the ball to play it out from the back. Being one option short is enough to put too much pressure on the others to work it out from the back safely and leads to punts. 

Watching the Huns work it out and then watching us - its no wonder Berra punts it

Two goals came from passes into midfield.

Both played to players who were covered and back to goal, quick tackle and Rangers were off. Djoum who was other wise our best midfielder should be shot for the pass he played - a two yard pass (in his own half)to a man who was marked.

Our midfield seem to lack the ability to find space to receive a pass, and are too slow in thought and execution to do anything with the ball. I particularly watched Olly Lee, who apart from his free kicks contributed next to nothing, easliy brushed off the ball, and SO slow.

Djoum is great at breaking up play, and closing down but doesnt make many  positive passes.

Bosanic - tidy passer but far too lightweight for Scottish football.

Wighton - like playing with a man short, hid the whole game (apart from his header).

We definitely need some different type of player than we have, sorry to say but the Hun midfield was in a totally different class.

1 hour ago, cocomac said:

It's horrible to watch. Today was as bad as it's ever been. Why can't we pass the ball on the ground? We were much more effective the few times we managed it today. Listened to Craig on the radio on the way back - He said we tried to press high but it did not work.  Why not focus on having and keeping the ball Craig rather than pumping it up to them and then pressing !!!! We played sh*t today and the tactics had a lot to do with that! After 30 years of being a season ticket holder and was just about to renew but seriously having 2nd thoughts as I could not watch that every other Saturday. 

We did try to pass it on the ground in midfield but we gave the ball away because of lack of ability and they scored to goals from it.  Until we get skillful  enough players to play it that way we are as well punting it as it doesn't put our defence under pressure. 

All roads lead to Gorgie

Even Souttar who normally looks to build from the back was lumping it today. When pressed we panic and get rid ASAP. The coaches need to get the confidence installed to keep calm and look to move it through the midfield but we are still weak in that area to be fair. 

It must be a dream for the opposing managers when it comes to playing us, we almost do there homework for them. Only need to watch highlights of us to see that we play it out from the back, create nothing in midfield going forward and then all they have to do is stifle big Uche with 2 or 3 men to stop us scoring. Get in our midfields face and force errors which is exactly what happened for there first 2 goals. 

Thunderstruck
1 hour ago, Jamhammer said:

Going forward, from open play without Naismith we have nothing.

Lee, MacLean, Uche are all better with him leading them.

Its very worrying

It’s the same in any team. Our best run was with Naismith controlling the play (and Jimmy Dunne keeping it solid in defence). Without Naismith, the team is almost rudderless. 

Our best teams have always had a winner in the middle - Hartley and Cameron being two of the best. Haring is a fine midfielder but he needs to play with a Naismith not instead of a Naismith. 

2 minutes ago, Thunderstruck said:

It’s the same in any team. Our best run was with Naismith controlling the play (and Jimmy Dunne keeping it solid in defence). Without Naismith, the team is almost rudderless. 

Our best teams have always had a winner in the middle - Hartley and Cameron being two of the best. Haring is a fine midfielder but he needs to play with a Naismith not instead of a Naismith. 

Can we depend on him next season? This is a huge question for me if we are going all out to get him.

He is class and the leader we sadly lack at the moment, If we do get him we need more like him because we were timid as **** today

Thunderstruck
12 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

Can we depend on him next season? This is a huge question for me if we are going all out to get him.

He is class and the leader we sadly lack at the moment, If we do get him we need more like him because we were timid as **** today

I don’t think we can. I suspect the search is already on for that type of player. A Craig Bryson type of player, for example

highlandjambo3

Not a coaching guru but....

1.  Playing a ball forward involves looking for a player wearing the same coloured top as you and, hitting the ball in his direction, as was evident with most of rangers forward passes.

2.  Punting a ball forward without looking for another player with the same top on as you but, with the general consensus in your mind of “well, it’s going in the right direction is it not and, everyone else is doing it” seems to be quite acceptable for EVERY fekin hearts player today (and most other days).

why do we play that way?  Ok, a clearance out of danger is worthy of any punt but come on.... every second kick?  WTF

I would hammer them in training, this is a basic (imo) requirement is it not.

Jambof3tornado
3 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Not a coaching guru but....

1.  Playing a ball forward involves looking for a player wearing the same coloured top as you and, hitting the ball in his direction, as was evident with most of rangers forward passes.

2.  Punting a ball forward without looking for another player with the same top on as you but, with the general consensus in your mind of “well, it’s going in the right direction is it not and, everyone else is doing it” seems to be quite acceptable for EVERY fekin hearts player today (and most other days).

why do we play that way?  Ok, a clearance out of danger is worthy of any punt but come on.... every second kick?  WTF

I would hammer them in training, this is a basic (imo) requirement is it not.

Not enough movement in our lazy bunch to find space when we have the ball. Rangers had a spare man or 2 all over the park today due to working hard. Levein still not ripping into the lazy *******s in maroon.

Jasonauskas
37 minutes ago, Thunderstruck said:

I don’t think we can. I suspect the search is already on for that type of player. A Craig Bryson type of player, for example

Or another quality find from John Murray beckons?

lets hope he can find players that understand the concept of fitness?

Edited by Jasonauskas

It’s absolutely chronic to watch.

Even when a player gets the ball in space, often their first thought is to look backwards rather than forward.

Its been a while since I was so bored at a game v the old firm.  I found myself wondering why the lights at the top of the main stand were on whilst it was brilliant sunshine ?