Djoum

i8hibsh

gashauskis9
1 hour ago, Peebo said:

He stood out in a sea of mediocrity yesterday. Not a great performance from him, but only one I’d give pass marks to in the midfield. 

I still maintain he’s being played too deep. Still our best midfielder, by an absolutely country mile, though. 

What this man said ???

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RudiHMFC

• H2

• i8hibsh

• Paul Shark

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Peebo said:

He stood out in a sea of mediocrity yesterday. Not a great performance from him, but only one I’d give pass marks to in the midfield. 

I still maintain he’s being played too deep. Still our best midfielder, by an absolutely country mile, though. 

"Best" is dependant on how you define best. Certainly the most talented, but the least committed. He's playing wander and avoid mode.

54 minutes ago, H2 said:

"Best" is dependant on how you define best. Certainly the most talented, but the least committed. He's playing wander and avoid mode.

I define it in terms of contribution and value to the team. Each to their own, but I’m genuinely baffled at accusations of lack of commitment from Djoum. 

8 hours ago, ali_jambo said:

I honestly wonder if some people on here actually watch games.

Djoum was our best midfielder today by a country mile. First half particularly he was the only player in the team to have a go and move the ball around with any conviction.

Bozanic and Lee were genuinely terrible (Lee has provided almost nothing since his goal against Hibs and is slower than a week in jail). Without Djoum (and Haring) we are rudderless and dead of creativity in midfield.

One of our only pass mark performers in the second half of the season.

I just don't get the anti Djoum attacks on here.  He stands out as a hard-working, intelligent and constructive midfielder. Certainly Scottish Premier quality and the best we've got.

Edited by ibpc

Even when we play against bottom six or championship opposition he doesn't look good. Thought he was garbage at Hampden last week.

Was it Hamilton last season the boy was injured, Maybe Thistle? Cannae mind. No been the same since. Motherwell away a few seasons ago, I thought, what a player. I hope he stays and recovers his confidence. A class act , who is just a bit lost. ATM.

Arthur Morgan
49 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Was it Hamilton last season the boy was injured, Maybe Thistle? Cannae mind. No been the same since. Motherwell away a few seasons ago, I thought, what a player. I hope he stays and recovers his confidence. A class act , who is just a bit lost. ATM.

Ross County I think. 

1 hour ago, ibpc said:

I just don't get the anti Djoum attacks on here.  He stands out as a hard-working, intelligent and constructive midfielder. Certainly Scottish Premier quality and the best we've got.

Totally agree. The trouble is most critics don't watch what actually goes on in a games. Headless chickens.

pettigrewsstylist

Look closely  at his endevours to track and hinder the scorers of 2nd and 3rd goals yesterday. Get the charlatan in a one way taxi out of gorgie.

40 minutes ago, tcjambo said:

Totally agree. The trouble is most critics don't watch what actually goes on in a games. Headless chickens.

Calling fellow Hearts supporters headless chickens is insulting. Because people see the game differently for you doesn't mean they are not actuallly watching what is going on, indeed many might suggest you look in the mirror.

6 minutes ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

Look closely  at his endevours to track and hinder the scorers of 2nd and 3rd goals yesterday. Get the charlatan in a one way taxi out of gorgie.

The amount of times he just stands and watches players run off him is unbelievable,  it's like he sees it but doesn't bother his arse.

1 minute ago, RudiHMFC said:

The amount of times he just stands and watches players run off him is unbelievable,  it's like he sees it but doesn't bother his arse.

I agree, but get your helmet on the Djoum Lovers Cult is coming for you.

I sometimes wonder though if this is what he's told to do?

way out west jambo

Djoum is our best midfielder and I’d rather sign him up on a new contract than go out to the transfer market and take another punt on someone we know little about. 

In my opinion Djoum was the best out of a very poor midfield on Saturday and in no way should he be made to be the scapegoat for the poor performance. Wighton, Bozanic & Lee contributed way less than Djoum against rangers. At one point in the first half, Djoum was the only midfielder making any tackles. 

31 minutes ago, H2 said:

Calling fellow Hearts supporters headless chickens is insulting. Because people see the game differently for you doesn't mean they are not actuallly watching what is going on, indeed many might suggest you look in the mirror.

Perfectly reasonable to call peple who cast about for a scapegoat and don't offer an alternative "headless chickens". I don't care if you see it as insulting.

On 20/04/2019 at 21:01, Paul Shark said:

To be fair I think we are arguing about who's the poorest player in an abysmally poor midfield to be honest.

This

but also below We lost 3-1 going on 6 from a bang average Rangers side the our midfield never laid a glove on....I mean Ryan Jack eh??

On 20/04/2019 at 21:05, Diadora Van Basten said:

Djoum did ok today not brilliant but ok.

Diadora Van Basten

I watched Sportscene and Michael Stewart showed in his analysis various times that Djoum was the best pass but we ignored him in favour of a very bad option.

I have no doubt that Djoum will go on to do well once he leaves us.

Djoum was very poor on Sat , but he never hid always looking for the ball unlike the rest of our midfield who sh*t it everytime the ball came near them.

Jason Dufner
17 hours ago, Peebo said:

I define it in terms of contribution and value to the team. Each to their own, but I’m genuinely baffled at accusations of lack of commitment from Djoum. 

It’s a lazy and above all factually incorrect accusation consistently thrown at Djoum.

How anyone could watch Saturday or indeed the last 6 months and think Djoum is the problem is truly lost on me

It seems with each passing week that Djoum is less likely to re-sign anyway so those that don't like him will soon be able to move onto someone else.

On ‎20‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 14:50, Diego10 said:

Easily, and I mean easily, the best of our outfield players today.

Carrying a team of passengers in midfield

100% agree.  Not sure if some of the poster actually watched the game.  Only midfielder trying to create space and pick a pass.  The rest of the midfield looked like lower division players and out of their depth.  Everyone entitled to their opinion though !

16 hours ago, tcjambo said:

Most of the ones slagging of Djoum probably think Olly Lee is a footballer and give it laldy with that cringeworthy Olly Olly Lee song

47 minutes ago, Drumjambo said:

This

but also below We lost 3-1 going on 6 from a bang average Rangers side the our midfield never laid a glove on....I mean Ryan Jack eh??

I definitely think the way they are being asked to play isn't helping. Not one of the middle 3 ever goes beyond Uche, even at Tynecastle, and any movement from the front 3 is virtually non existent. 

TemasekJambo

Djoum is our best midfielder currently, our issues are not with him. We need to move on Lee and possibly Bozanic (if Djoum stays) at the end of the season. We can then bring in another one or two CMs and build the midfield around Haring and Djoum as well as give Cochrane more game time. I find it bizarre that he takes so much stick in comparison with Lee and Bozanic.

It’s a shame Djoum is played so deep. Would be much more effective further forward and indeed this is when he looked at his best when he first came in. 

Another shrewd tactical move from our management team. 

23 minutes ago, TemasekJambo said:

Djoum is our best midfielder currently, our issues are not with him. We need to move on Lee and possibly Bozanic (if Djoum stays) at the end of the season. We can then bring in another one or two CMs and build the midfield around Haring and Djoum as well as give Cochrane more game time. I find it bizarre that he takes so much stick in comparison with Lee and Bozanic.

In fairness, neither Lee nor Bozanic have a, tried to engineer/talk about moves away from Hearts or b, asked to be one of, if not the highest paid player at the club

I think Djoum is an ok player but he certainly isn't good enough to demand the wages he has, for 5k a week we can do better. 

My issue with Djoum is figuring out what he actually contributes.

Is he a ball winning defensive midfielder? No.

High energy box to box midfielder? No.

Is he a goal scoring midfielder? No.

Is he a creative midfielder constantly setting up attacks and getting assists? No.

He is "neat and tidy". He makes the easy pass. 5 yards and generally sideways or backwards.

If we are to play two in central midfield "neat and tidy" isn't enough IMO.

With Haring we have a defensive midfielder, if we go 4231 you could argue we could play two of that type to sit and let the front four "go play".

If its 442 we need either a box to box goal scoring high energy midfielder (Hartley or Cameron type) or at least someone who wants to get here foot on the ball and drive the team forward, make forward passes and create chances for others (Fulton type).

IMO Djoum isn't a terrible player. He is maybe not the worst player on the park each week but I just don't think he ever actually brings anything majorly positive either. He is just "there".

You cant afford to have "passengers" - players who don't influence the game in a positive way for your team either defensively or offensively. 

7 minutes ago, AndyMcI said:

My issue with Djoum is figuring out what he actually contributes.

Is he a ball winning defensive midfielder? No.

High energy box to box midfielder? No.

Is he a goal scoring midfielder? No.

Is he a creative midfielder constantly setting up attacks and getting assists? No.

He is "neat and tidy". He makes the easy pass. 5 yards and generally sideways or backwards.

If we are to play two in central midfield "neat and tidy" isn't enough IMO.

With Haring we have a defensive midfielder, if we go 4231 you could argue we could play two of that type to sit and let the front four "go play".

If its 442 we need either a box to box goal scoring high energy midfielder (Hartley or Cameron type) or at least someone who wants to get here foot on the ball and drive the team forward, make forward passes and create chances for others (Fulton type).

IMO Djoum isn't a terrible player. He is maybe not the worst player on the park each week but I just don't think he ever actually brings anything majorly positive either. He is just "there".

You cant afford to have "passengers" - players who don't influence the game in a positive way for your team either defensively or offensively. 

We have a team full of passengers. Too many players that are simply just not good enough or as in Djoum's case are asked to play in positions that don't suit.

Against Rangers he started as a defensive mid with Bosanic in front of  him then that was reversed after Bosanic gave the ball away for their second goal and then to accomodate Cochrane he was moved to wide right.

I have always thought that Djoum is at his best in an attacking mid role and should be played there all the time save but for emergencies instead of this constsnt switching.

That for me just shows that the man picking the team doesn't know what his players strengths and weaknesses are.

One thing is for sure if and I imagine it will happen he leaves this summer he will be sorely missed if we don't improve and sign better players than those we currently have in midfield.

Edited by wavydavy

On 20/04/2019 at 14:45, i8hibsh said:

He is a common denominator of 3 years decline.

Note: I am not saying he IS the sole reason.

He looked good at the start under Robbie, i'd say the common denominator is 2 poor managers.

I'm not going to bother slating the players as i don't think that's where the problem lies.  Djoum's played well this season but looks particularly awful when the teams playing bad.  Not saying he's perfect but i think a better manager would get more out of him.  He's the first ever number 10 i think i've seen being played as a centre defensive mid.  He's also looked at his worst when played out wide but i don't think it's a shock that a guy who isn't a winger struggles to play on the wing.

I think his days are probably numbered at hearts tbh, i like him but the fans are quickly running out of patience and he doesn't look as if he's giving 100% every week which should be the absolute minimum just now.  For me he plays better as an attacking player, he might not get 100s of assists but i feel he is a good decision maker in the final 3rd and can pick out the right option if given the chance.  Problem with him is he's being played so deep currently that he looks so bored and disinterested since his only role seems to be to pass it back to the CBs.  If we sign Naismith and have the option of Clare playing there when he's unavailable i'm not sure we can justify spending good money on his wages as he's wasted further back.

TemasekJambo
6 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

We have a team full of passengers. Too many players that are simply just not good enough or as in Djoum's case are asked to play in positions that don't suit.

Against Rangers he started as a defensive mid with Bosanic in front of  him then that was reversed after Bosanic gave the ball away for their second goal and then to accomodate Cochrane he was moved to wide right.

I have always thought that Djoum is at his best in an attacking mid role and should be played there all the time save but for emergencies instead of this constsnt switching.

That for me just shows that the man picking the team doesn't know what his players strengths and weaknesses are.

One thing is for sure if and I imagine it will happen he leaves this summer he will be sorely missed if we don't improve and sign better players than those we currently have in midfield.

Agree with this. He should never be played out wide, totally ill-suited. His best position is as an attacking midfielder and he can also play as a defensive midfielder, if absolutely necessary. As he is our best midfielder, it seems the management team always shift him around to accomodate other poorer players, we need better players around him. 

2 minutes ago, TemasekJambo said:

Agree with this. He should never be played out wide, totally ill-suited. His best position is as an attacking midfielder and he can also play as a defensive midfielder, if absolutely necessary. As he is our best midfielder, it seems the management team always shift him around to accomodate other poorer players, we need better players around him. 

:thumbs_up:

Djoum is our best midfielder by a mile and we're lucky to have him - he could easily play at a higher level and I'm honestly surprised no-one in the top leagues has come in for him yet. To say that he lacks commitment is also just not true.

There are many issues with the team at the moment - but Djoum is not one of them.