Burns, Bozanic, Lee, Wighton

Cruyff Turn

20 hours ago, BOBTHEBRUCE said:

Buck stops with Craig Levein. 

His signings. 

Burns isn’t supposed to be first team at the moment. 19 years old, bought as a development player and nit a left back. Injuries forcing the manager to try things. Hopefully he knows now he isn’t good enough yet. 

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Cruyff Turn

• Seymour M Hersh

• BOBTHEBRUCE

21 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Miles out of your depth.

Not top 6 standard players unfortunately. They might have the odd decent game v bottom 6 and Championship sides but they are miles of the pace in a game of this standard.

Harsh but true. 

But Craig  said we only need a couple of players as he was happy with our midfield. :lol:

Looking at this over the season I would have to say that we are worse now than we were last year. Last season we had a great defensive record and struggled for goals, but would I rather have Naisy, Laff and Milinkovic against Naisy, Uche and Clare...100%. I also think the 2 young boys who came in last year have been hung out a bit. Levein said he expected big things form them but he brought in 18 players so there was no way they were ever going to get games ahead of singings he asked the board for.

Seen talk of Cadden form Motherwell, why???  Why not one of our own from the academy. At the beginning of the season Mulraney was being rubbished as was Clare but both of them have had a great run of games and now they look like they can play a bit, maybe not top tier but keeping faith with them improved their performances, so why cant we do that with a few of the younger boys......cant drop a player in and then take him out after 1-2 games because he hasn't ripped the turf up, stick with them and give them a chance. Worried that is CL brings in another 3-4 midfield\forward players that our own youngsters will again have another season overlooked.

A lot of bodies at Riccarton and adding in another load will mean a squad of 30+ players so 16 not getting a game every week....and the easy ones to not play are young ones who come through academy, as they need experience, need to bulk up...

On ‎21‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 10:10, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Realistically he'd be a  squad player. 

He went missing today but directly set up the three goals last week. 

We can't cafford say 4/5 really good midfielders. 

I'd like us to have 2 good quality ones with say Lee, Cochrane and 1 other giving us cover options. 

Haring, Bozanic are not good enough at all imo. 

Djoum probably is, but his time seems to be up. 

I'd like Djoum as the holding player with two in front of him, none of which are Bozanic or Haring. 

Lee would have his use in part of a squad. 

Might be time to try Haring at CH tbh. 

Haring not good enough? Glad you don't pick the team.

44 minutes ago, Mort said:

You just beat me to it. IMO Haring has been an island of excellence in a sea of mediocrity. Maybe a bit strong but hopefully you get my drift.

Stephen Muddie
On 20/04/2019 at 20:49, stan said:

Whatever his chat with Defoe was about, it had no effect on anything or anyone except the perpetually offended. 

We don't care that it didn't affect the game. We are concerned that our players aren't ****ing ashamed of themselves. Ie too ashamed to be seen laughing and joking when we all feel like shit.

Shows a complete disregard for the loyal supporters who pay his wages.

This forum is so unreal 

From what I can see Burns looks like what he is - a player that might be a decent left back but still raw and inexperienced.

In the heat of the game was I annoyed at some of his shit passes? Yes. But I was more annoyed with Berra’s shit passes and players in midfield constantly getting caught on the ball - why no communication between team mates?

Uche shooting when he had 3 attackers steaming into the box in space annoyed me also.

Decision making let us down and we missed Haring quite badly - arguably more than Naismith.

Edited by Jammy T

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, Mort said:

He's played well, but  looks like a centre half in midfield imo, wouldn't get Into any top 4 side in midfield in our league. 

Might be worth putting him at centre half, he could be our ball playing centre half. 

We need creativity and faster thinking players in midfield, Haring isn't either. 

He has good positioning, is comfortable on the ball and good in the air  and strong in the tackle but is slow in transition and thought imo. 

Pretty much what I'd expect a ball playing centre half in midfield to be. 

On 20/04/2019 at 13:54, Cruyff Turn said:

I wouldn’t say Bobby, Berra, Souttar, Smith, Djoum Or Uche are out of their depth. They can compete. The ones mentioned weren’t even on the same level.

But you’re right, it’s a joke and an embarrassment how bad we have been for 2 and a half seasons. Beyond unacceptable.

But we are forced to accept it. We are one of the only clubs who has fans pumping literally millions into the club through a completely separate pot to ticket sales and all the other stuff, yet we are one of the only clubs where the fans cannot do anything to let the club know the man in charge needs to be changed. He is safe. For as long as he wants.

1 hour ago, Jammy T said:

From what I can see Burns looks like what he is - a player that might be a decent left back but still raw and inexperienced.

In the heat of the game was I annoyed at some of his shit passes? Yes. But I was more annoyed with Berra’s shit passes and players in midfield constantly getting caught on the ball - why no communication between team mates?

Uche shooting when he had 3 attackers steaming into the box in space annoyed me also.

Decision making let us down and we missed Haring quite badly - arguably more than Naismith.

True.

It’s unfair to pick on Burns, he is only playing because our two recognised left backs are injured. He’s a young player with potential (hopefully).

The experienced players have less of an excuse.

22 hours ago, Stephen Muddie said:

We don't care that it didn't affect the game. We are concerned that our players aren't ****ing ashamed of themselves. Ie too ashamed to be seen laughing and joking when we all feel like shit.

Shows a complete disregard for the loyal supporters who pay his wages.

This forum is so unreal 

Football is a sport. Players are professionals and they're entitled to have a conversation and a handshake after the game. I was disappointed at the performance and the result, but I can leave it at that. I don't need the players to go into mourning afterwards to make me feel better about things.

Stephen Muddie
2 hours ago, stan said:

Football is a sport. Players are professionals and they're entitled to have a conversation and a handshake after the game. I was disappointed at the performance and the result, but I can leave it at that. I don't need the players to go into mourning afterwards to make me feel better about things.

Yeah by expecting them to have enough sense not to be cheesing after a shitfest of a non performance against a team that aren't that good I want them "to go into mourning to make me feel better about things"

Dramatic much? Listen, I've seen worse Hearts teams do better against much better Rangers teams and go straight up the tunnel because they hated to lose, even when expected to.

It's disrespectful and tbh stupid as it is always gonna sully a player when they're spotted apparently not giving a feck. My feelings aren't a factor here. Basic respect is the factor. 

I'm more disappointed in Burns because this has been noted by many supporters. It's hardly anything to do with how I feel personally. Just pretty disappointing that any of our players aren't fecking ashamed to be seen like this after such a horror show. Does not bode well.

2 hours ago, Stephen Muddie said:

Yeah by expecting them to have enough sense not to be cheesing after a shitfest of a non performance against a team that aren't that good I want them "to go into mourning to make me feel better about things"

Dramatic much? Listen, I've seen worse Hearts teams do better against much better Rangers teams and go straight up the tunnel because they hated to lose, even when expected to.

It's disrespectful and tbh stupid as it is always gonna sully a player when they're spotted apparently not giving a feck. My feelings aren't a factor here. Basic respect is the factor. 

I'm more disappointed in Burns because this has been noted by many supporters. It's hardly anything to do with how I feel personally. Just pretty disappointing that any of our players aren't fecking ashamed to be seen like this after such a horror show. Does not bode well.

Drama from me? You mentioned your feelings being hurt even more  because a footballer wasn't apparently as upset as you. 

He's a young inexperienced lad who should be cut some slack. I assume he was likely discussing his personal match v Defoe including the nasty tackle against himself. If he wants to smile when doing it, that's just his style. 

Nowt more annoying than footballers going radge at each other  and getting booked or sent off. That is what I'd describe as unprofessional.

Stephen Muddie
1 hour ago, stan said:

Drama from me? You mentioned your feelings being hurt even more  because a footballer wasn't apparently as upset as you. 

He's a young inexperienced lad who should be cut some slack. I assume he was likely discussing his personal match v Defoe including the nasty tackle against himself. If he wants to smile when doing it, that's just his style. 

Nowt more annoying than footballers going radge at each other  and getting booked or sent off. That is what I'd describe as unprofessional.

I don't mind having a wee debate but i do mind being misquoted. I said the fans are feeling like shit at FT not that the smiling and joking hurt my feelings.

A typically gutless and insipid no-show didn't hurt my feelings either. He was stupid and now that you've brought professionalism into it, I'd be inclined to call not being mindful of where you are and who pay your comfortable lifestyle unprofessional. You've again taken quite a leap in logic there by using footballers going radge at each other as an example of presumably "giving a shit". 

I don't want them to be "going into mourning". I don't want them to be "going radge at each other and getting booked or sent off". I want them to look like they are embarrassed by embarrassing performances. Very simple what I like to see, no matter how many things you make up mate.

8 hours ago, Stephen Muddie said:

I don't mind having a wee debate but i do mind being misquoted. I said the fans are feeling like shit at FT not that the smiling and joking hurt my feelings.

A typically gutless and insipid no-show didn't hurt my feelings either. He was stupid and now that you've brought professionalism into it, I'd be inclined to call not being mindful of where you are and who pay your comfortable lifestyle unprofessional. You've again taken quite a leap in logic there by using footballers going radge at each other as an example of presumably "giving a shit". 

I don't want them to be "going into mourning". I don't want them to be "going radge at each other and getting booked or sent off". I want them to look like they are embarrassed by embarrassing performances. Very simple what I like to see, no matter how many things you make up mate.

I listed players going radge at each other only as an example of what I personally find unacceptable in player behaviour. That can harm a team, whereas 'cheesing' with an opponent doesn't do anything unless you want it to.

i just don't need teenage players to exhibit shame after a defeat. Not even on my radar.

Best way for me to feel better after a loss is to forget it, and do something else enjoyable. Much better than looking for shame in others.

Burns had a word with Defoe at the start of the second half.  Maybe he was asking for his shirt.  They then had the wee tangle during the second half.  So maybe Defoe was telling Burns he could whistle for his shirt.

Stephen Muddie
6 hours ago, Coco said:

Burns had a word with Defoe at the start of the second half.  Maybe he was asking for his shirt.  They then had the wee tangle during the second half.  So maybe Defoe was telling Burns he could whistle for his shirt.

Ha that's a possibility. I don't wish to make a huge deal of this @stan you make a lot of good points.

We all want to see Hearts do better at the end of the day. Often forget myself who we are talking about. In this case a young lad who will get better and hopefully a little more wise.

On 21/04/2019 at 02:48, wavydavy said:

But Craig  said we only need a couple of players as he was happy with our midfield. :lol:

He’s very clearly said we need to add creativity this summer and, departures aside, we only need to focus on 3 or 4 key positions, ie quality over quantity.

I agree Lee has been a disappointment, worldie efforts and dead balls aside, even though in that respect he’s been a key player at times. As Haring is more of a water carrier, and Djoum is used in different ways, we still need a midfield general/playmaker type.

That, a winger and a striker will be the priorities. Possibly a LB too given we seem to need about 10 of those a season as cover.

6 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

He’s very clearly said we need to add creativity this summer and, departures aside, we only need to focus on 3 or 4 key positions, ie quality over quantity.

I agree Lee has been a disappointment, worldie efforts and dead balls aside, even though in that respect he’s been a key player at times. As Haring is more of a water carrier, and Djoum is used in different ways, we still need a midfield general/playmaker type.

That, a winger and a striker will be the priorities. Possibly a LB too given we seem to need about 10 of those a season as cover.

So what happens when that midfeld general gets a long tern injury? The last time I read what he said it was talking about 2 or 3 players.

You have mentioned 4 and I think we need more than that especially if we get rid of a lot of the deadwood.

1 hour ago, wavydavy said:

So what happens when that midfeld general gets a long tern injury? The last time I read what he said it was talking about 2 or 3 players.

You have mentioned 4 and I think we need more than that especially if we get rid of a lot of the deadwood.

Aside from the likes of martin and sammon if they are still our players I don’t see a lot of deadwood needing rid of, just some players currently getting first team games who could be demoted to squad players. All of the players in this thread title are considered squad players anyhow IMO, apart from maybe Lee. Although I think he’s more of a squad player than first pick talent wise.

9 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Aside from the likes of martin and sammon if they are still our players I don’t see a lot of deadwood needing rid of, just some players currently getting first team games who could be demoted to squad players. All of the players in this thread title are considered squad players anyhow IMO, apart from maybe Lee. Although I think he’s more of a squad player than first pick talent wise.

Seems as if we are best to agree to disagree as I think your assessment is flawed and you obviously think you are right as does CL. It will be interesting to see just how many players do go and come in though.

Edited by wavydavy

OmiyaHearts

I think Lee and Bozanic have more to offer. Seen enough from them this season to show they could make a bigger impact next season.

I don't think Wighton or Burns will make it, but I love Bobby's enthusiasm and fight - if his ability can match this, he could come good and still has plenty of time to develop.

Austin MacGlee
On ‎21‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 10:10, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Realistically he'd be a  squad player. 

He went missing today but directly set up the three goals last week. 

We can't cafford say 4/5 really good midfielders. 

I'd like us to have 2 good quality ones with say Lee, Cochrane and 1 other giving us cover options. 

Haring, Bozanic are not good enough at all imo

Djoum probably is, but his time seems to be up. 

I'd like Djoum as the holding player with two in front of him, none of which are Bozanic or Haring. 

Lee would have his use in part of a squad. 

Might be time to try Haring at CH tbh. 

Haring not good enough?

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, Austin MacGlee said:

Haring not good enough?

Haring is probably the best holding mid we have atm,  but if we want to be up there with Aberdeen and rangers, no he isn't. 

Being strong, good in the air and being a good tackler is not want I want in midfield.

We need players that can think quick, pick up second balls and pass. Even our DM must be able to do that if we want to improve.  We need quality in there.

I think Haring  has looked  more and more like a ball playing centre half in midfield as the season has worn on. He's probably still better in that DM role than Bozanic tho so would play just now, but going forward not for me.

If Naismith was fit, I'd play Djoum in that role like he does for his country, but he'll likely be gone as well. :huh:

Bazzas right boot
4 hours ago, OmiyaHearts said:

I think Lee and Bozanic have more to offer. Seen enough from them this season to show they could make a bigger impact next season.

I don't think Wighton or Burns will make it, but I love Bobby's enthusiasm and fight - if his ability can match this, he could come good and still has plenty of time to develop.

Lee clearly has speed of thought.

Some of his best efforts are first time shots/ pass's. He thinks like a midfielder should, even if his execution is a bit off sometimes.

Even v Rangers he tried to lob McGregor ( I actually said to my mate, I bet Lee tries a lob, I would) The only issue was it was at the wrong time!

He does go missing in the more physical or faster games but tbh, with players who I consider development players such Wighton, Clare, Keena ( for a bit Mclean only up front) along with our full backs , our team hasn't been great  and has been a bit lethargic  and I think Lee has suffered more than most with Naismith missing because of this. Even his back up Haring has been poor since his return but was carrying an injury.

I was a player like Lee, always looked to take it first or second time, when I had good players around me with movement and confidence I looked great, but when I had to take time on the ball and dribble I was shite and fell to bits.

Lee is that type of player, so imo has a part to play in certain games.

Lee thinks like a midfielder and some of his passing/ shooting is that of a quick thinking midfielder and imo no one else would even think off, never mind try.

Wighton, really needs to show something, he's been about long enough but he has just recovered from an injury.

Burns is really young, too early to write him off.

If every player gets their confidence and form next season along with a few signings we should be gravy, but again it depends on the speed of the  development of these types of players, which is 50/50 in most cases atm as to whether they will be good or not good enough

6 hours ago, wavydavy said:

Seems as if we are best to agree to disagree as I think your assessment is flawed and you obviously think you are right as does CL. It will be interesting to see just how many players do go and come in though.

There won’t be a big turnover this time, aside from some squad players. We have a strong core. Obviously if Naismith and Djoum go and anyone gets sold they’ll need replacing too.

Austin MacGlee
1 hour ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Haring is probably the best holding mid we have atm,  but if we want to be up there with Aberdeen and rangers, no he isn't. 

Being strong, good in the air and being a good tackler is not want I want in midfield.

We need players that can think quick, pick up second balls and pass. Even our DM must be able to do that if we want to improve.  We need quality in there.

I think Haring  has looked  more and more like a ball playing centre half in midfield as the season has worn on. He's probably still better in that DM role than Bozanic tho so would play just now, but going forward not for me.

If Naismith was fit, I'd play Djoum in that role like he does for his country, but he'll likely be gone as well. :huh:

I get where you're coming from but I think he's suffered from his hernia op. Defo a dip in form since his return but I think he will grow more and more into that DM role. Our midfield has been as weak as a kitten the past two seasons and we look far less like rolling over and having our tummies tickled with him in the team. We will miss him on Sunday.

32 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

There won’t be a big turnover this time, aside from some squad players. We have a strong core. Obviously if Naismith and Djoum go and anyone gets sold they’ll need replacing too.

We will see in due course.

BOBTHEBRUCE
2 hours ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Lee clearly has speed of thought.

Some of his best efforts are first time shots/ pass's. He thinks like a midfielder should, even if his execution is a bit off sometimes.

Even v Rangers he tried to lob McGregor ( I actually said to my mate, I bet Lee tries a lob, I would) The only issue was it was at the wrong time!

He does go missing in the more physical or faster games but tbh, with players who I consider development players such Wighton, Clare, Keena ( for a bit Mclean only up front) along with our full backs , our team hasn't been great  and has been a bit lethargic  and I think Lee has suffered more than most with Naismith missing because of this. Even his back up Haring has been poor since his return but was carrying an injury.

I was a player like Lee, always looked to take it first or second time, when I had good players around me with movement and confidence I looked great, but when I had to take time on the ball and dribble I was shite and fell to bits.

Lee is that type of player, so imo has a part to play in certain games.

Lee thinks like a midfielder and some of his passing/ shooting is that of a quick thinking midfielder and imo no one else would even think off, never mind try.

Wighton, really needs to show something, he's been about long enough but he has just recovered from an injury.

Burns is really young, too early to write him off.

If every player gets their confidence and form next season along with a few signings we should be gravy, but again it depends on the speed of the  development of these types of players, which is 50/50 in most cases atm as to whether they will be good or not good enough

I don't rate Lee at all. 

He's had a couple of good moments but i've lost count of the number of games that i've forgotten he's actually playing. 

The 'he needs good players around him' argument just doesn't cut it for me. If you're a good player, it's easy enough to see, regardless of who you're playing with. 

I agree that it's too early to write off Burns and Wighton. My gripe is with Levein signing these kinds of players when he doesn't have a strong enough 15 as it is. We just don't have that luxury at the moment. 

33 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

We will see in due course.

The weird thing is the people calling for levein’s head say we’ve had far too much squad turnover under him. What do they think will happen if we have yet another manager change?

10 minutes ago, BOBTHEBRUCE said:

I don't rate Lee at all. 

He's had a couple of good moments but i've lost count of the number of games that i've forgotten he's actually playing. 

The 'he needs good players around him' argument just doesn't cut it for me. If you're a good player, it's easy enough to see, regardless of who you're playing with. 

I agree that it's too early to write off Burns and Wighton. My gripe is with Levein signing these kinds of players when he doesn't have a strong enough 15 as it is. We just don't have that luxury at the moment. 

I disagree. The core Levein has put together is strong enough that we can afford to take punts on the likes of Mulraney, wighton, burns and clare. 

That core is Naismith, Zlamal, berra, souttar, Smith, halkett when he arrives, haring, djoum and uche.

Behind them are players I think are perfectly decent squad players at this level - Garrucio, Lee, bozanic, dikamona, doyle, mclean.

Then we’ve got a very promising crop of kids with first team experience in brandon, godhino, morrison, keena, cochrane and macdonald.

I think Levein’s squad building has been very good on the whole looking at that mix, with the exception of a creative midfielder, experienced winger and second striker - which we’ll be targeting this summer. I don’t even know where to start with the LB position.

BOBTHEBRUCE
30 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

I disagree. The core Levein has put together is strong enough that we can afford to take punts on the likes of Mulraney, wighton, burns and clare. 

That core is Naismith, Zlamal, berra, souttar, Smith, halkett when he arrives, haring, djoum and uche.

Behind them are players I think are perfectly decent squad players at this level - Garrucio, Lee, bozanic, dikamona, doyle, mclean.

Then we’ve got a very promising crop of kids with first team experience in brandon, godhino, morrison, keena, cochrane and macdonald.

I think Levein’s squad building has been very good on the whole looking at that mix, with the exception of a creative midfielder, experienced winger and second striker - which we’ll be targeting this summer. I don’t even know where to start with the LB position.

That's nonsense to be fair. 

You've even added Halkett who hasn't played a game for us. 

Look at our position in the league again and tell me that we've had the luxury of signing projects. 

Bazzas right boot
38 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

I agree, sort off. 

I think we need more of a core tho, or more players considered to be first team or capable of stepping up. 

Rb, lb, both wings and strikers are still very thin if our 1st option is out. 

Midfield as you say needs a quality star player. 

Playing 3/4 development players once I jury hits is not great, or it could be the development /fringe players are not good enough. 

Either way we need a squad of about 14/15 who can all be first team regulars, along with that strong core that has been built. 

The next 5-10 players can be youth,/ development. 

Injuries haven't helped either as the "core" has taken several hits over and over. 

BOBTHEBRUCE
4 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

I agree, sort off. 

I think we need more of a core tho, or more players considered to be first team or capable of stepping up. 

Playing 3/4 development players once I jury hits is not great, or it could be the development /fringe players are not good enough. 

Either way we need a squad of about 14/15 who can all be first team regulars, along with that strong core that has been built. 

Injuries haven't helped either as the "core" has taken several hits over and over. 

Just on that, 

Do you put that purely down to bad luck? 

I think there's a serious problem there. I've never seen us get so many injured players in my life. 

It needs to be looked at. 

If the same happens next season i will seriously lose my shit. 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, BOBTHEBRUCE said:

I don't rate Lee at all. 

I tend to take folk that say " I've forgotten he's actually playing" with a pinch of salt. 

The phrase is often used by folk that know very little about the game as the said player  has usually been OK. Not great, not bad. 

Fans, especially the rasper types tend to notice the great stuff or the mistakes, not the general play which is about 90% of a game at our level. 

That lass at the sf gave a good description of Lee, finding pockets of space but not getting the ball, and when he gets it, very little on. 

Sums up his season. 

She was spot tbh as he's that type of player. 

The "good players around" him is more about his options, as he's a player who moves the ball fast, he can't do that when the likes of Wighton and Clare especially early on look lost and McLean was hardly complimenting that style. 

He is a little lightweight, but most "proper" midfielders are tbh, especially at this level. 

His goal v hibs and 3 assists  in the semi (1 indirect ofc) buy him time. He's also hit several shots, got another few goals and his pass to Naismith v well highlights his speed of thought when " good players" make the correct runs. 

He's been our best performaning midfielder over the whole season imo. 

Djoum is the best but never really plays to what he's capable of,l and tbh could be suffering the same way as Lee. 

Lee's not great, but he's good enough to be part of a core squad (outfield) of around 14/15 which is what I originally said.

Xxxnb, read that back, not saying your rasper?xxx

Edited by Olly Lee's left boot

Bazzas right boot
5 minutes ago, BOBTHEBRUCE said:

Just on that, 

Do you put that purely down to bad luck? 

I think there's a serious problem there. I've never seen us get so many injured players in my life. 

It needs to be looked at. 

If the same happens next season i will seriously lose my shit. 

I Dunno. 

It's like a position gets wiped out at once. 

Defence 

Strikers

Full backs/ wingers 

Complete utter dugg shite. 

BOBTHEBRUCE
5 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

I tend to take folk that say " I've forgotten he's actually playing" with a pinch of salt. 

The phrase is often used by folk that know very little about the game as the said player  has usually been OK. Not great, not bad. 

Fans, especially the rasper types tend to notice the great stuff or the mistakes, not the general play which is about 90% of a game at our level. 

That lass at the sf gave a good description of Lee, finding pockets of space but not getting the ball, and when he gets it, very little on. 

Sums up his season. 

The "good players around" him is more about his options, as he's a player who moves the ball fast, he can't do that when the likes of Wighton and Clare especially early on look lost and McLean was hardly complimenting that style. 

He is a little lightweight, but most "proper" midfielders are tbh, especially at this level. 

His goal v hibs and 3 assists  in the semi (1 indirect ofc) buy him time. He's also hit several shots, got another few goals and his pass to Naismith v well highlights his speed of thought when " good players" make the correct runs. 

Djoum is the best but never really plays to what he's capable of,l and tbh could be suffering the same way as Lee. 

Lee's not great, but he's good enough to be part of a core squad (outfield) of around 14/15 which is what I originally said.

Hmmm

I suppose we will see how much you know about the game when Lee doesn't get offered a new contract. 

Feel free to pull me up if he does. 

Edited by BOBTHEBRUCE

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, BOBTHEBRUCE said:

Hmmm

I suppose we will see how much you know about the game when Lee doesn't get offered a new contract. 

Maybe, but if that happens could be he wants 1st team football, too much money etc. 

I do think we need better in our best starting 11, but imo he's more than a useful player. 

Added, I never meant to imply your a rasper ?

BOBTHEBRUCE
1 minute ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Maybe, but if that happens could be he wants 1st team football, too much money etc. 

I do think we need better in our best starting 11, but imo he's more than a useful player. 

I thought he would end up being a key player for us. He has a very good shot on him. 

As you say, there's so many variables. It could be that he's actually an attacking midfielder that's been made to sit back and it's not his game whatsoever. 

I can't say i trust levein and his decisions. 

As it stands though, Lee will have to take his game up another level if he's to be here much longer. 

Bazzas right boot
29 minutes ago, BOBTHEBRUCE said:

I thought he would end up being a key player for us. He has a very good shot on him. 

As you say, there's so many variables. It could be that he's actually an attacking midfielder that's been made to sit back and it's not his game whatsoever. 

I can't say i trust levein and his decisions. 

As it stands though, Lee will have to take his game up another level if he's to be here much longer. 

It's been a bit of a shitter, sometimes CL has not helped, I admit.

Clare for his first 5/6 games was a waste of space, however now you can see  a bit quality , if not influence and glimpses of what a good player he could be.  

Haring our best DM ( but imo too slow of thought for a midfielder) has been injured what is now basically a whole season.

Djoum push wide due little options out wide, although now you can see Mulerany ( sp) will add something to us.

All hasn't helped the mentioned players form or Lee's. Add in Naismith Injury and Uche's and you can see how being a creative midfielder for us would be a chore.

Lee has got a good shot, maybe if we get forward more and dominate around the box he'll offer more. without him we'd have no shots at all on target in a game! Can't shoot from 50 yards...

Souttar got injured, Berra got injured, then Dunne got injured - you couldn't write that tbh. Dikamona has been ok for cover but has ended up injured himself. The leeds boy isn't good enough but was a panic loan to get some cover, his pedigree should have been good enough.

lately Smith, Mitchell and Ben all got  ****ed, then Morrison got ****ed. Only Smith will play this season. all wide options.

Brandon, a young lad, a young rb got chucked in at lb on his return, got sent off after 25mins. sums it up.

Lee imo has shown he can offer something as a midfielder, first time passing, shots and some assists and goal.

Haring- strong, good in the air, good positioning, imo would be better at centre half and getting another midfielder in, but he's got attributes.

Wighton, Bozanic The former has shown very little, the latter is like lee but not as quick in thought and maybe even more lightweight.

Burns- is our 3rd choice lb, he's performed like that. he's 18,in  his first pro contract and it shows, but tbh when you consider that he's been better than guys like Osh and Sowah and they were international, Burns just turned 18 and has been a professional for less than a year! There may be hope.

If we can sort out the lb issue, and by that I mean get a witch doctor to lift the curse, Burns won't play for us ( as a starter) until another year and likely be on loan to a Dunfermline type club. That is how it should be.

The funny thing is we might see a big benefit of all these players ( Clare, Wighton, Godinho, Morrison, Mulareny etc even Burns and Kenna) getting game time next season but we cannot have a repeat. We need better players to make us better straight away, Halkett and Bryson would fit that bill.

BOBTHEBRUCE
14 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

It's been a bit of a shitter, sometimes CL has not helped, I admit.

Clare for his first 5/6 games was a waste of space, however now you can see  a bit quality , if not influence and glimpses of what a good player he could be.  

Haring our best DM ( but imo too slow of thought for a midfielder) has been injured what is now basically a whole season.

Djoum push wide due little options out wide, although now you can see Mulerany ( sp) will add something to us.

All hasn't helped the mentioned players form or Lee's. Add in Naismith Injury and Uche's and you can see how being a creative midfielder for us would be a chore.

Souttar got injured, Berra got injured, then Dunne got injured - you couldn't write that tbh. Dikamona has been ok for cover but has ended up injured himself. The leeds boy isn't good enough but was a panic loan to get some cover, his pedigree should have been good enough.

lately Smith, Mitchell and Ben all got  ****ed, then Morrison got ****ed. Only Smith will play this season. all wide options.

Brandon, a young lad, a young rb got chucked in at lb on his return, got sent off after 25mins. sums it up.

Lee imo has shown he can offer something as a midfielder, first time passing, shots and some assists and goal.

Haring- strong, good in the air, good positioning, imo would be better at centre half and getting another midfielder in, but he's got attributes.

Wighton, Bozanic The former has shown very little, the latter is like lee but not as quick in thought and maybe even more lightweight.

Burns- is our 3rd choice lb, he's performed like that. he's 18,in  his first pro contract and it shows, but tbh when you consider that he's been better than guys like Osh and Sowah and they were international, Burns just turned 18 and has been a professional for less than a year! There may be hope.

If we can sort out the lb issue, and by that I mean get a witch doctor to lift the curse, Burns won't play for us ( as a starter) until another year and likely be on loan to a Dunfermline type club. That is how it should be.

The funny thing is we might see a big benefit of all these players ( Clare, Wighton, Godinho, Morrison, Mulareny etc even Burns and Kenna) getting game time next season but we cannot have a repeat. We need better players to make us better straight away, Halkett and Bryson would fit that bill.

Smith doesn't get enough credit. He's a player you can rely on and the only player of these 4 that should be in the starting 11. 

Morrison, i don't think he's ever going to be good enough, he's tricky and his crossing he can work on, but he's not gonna get any quicker and i doubt his football brain is either. 

Brandon... You know our recruitment hasn't been good when he's getting a game. (yeah, i get we've had injuries)

Godinho might have a place somewhere, he's quick and strong, get's forward and cross the ball at times.

Edited by BOBTHEBRUCE

3 hours ago, BOBTHEBRUCE said:

That's nonsense to be fair. 

You've even added Halkett who hasn't played a game for us. 

Look at our position in the league again and tell me that we've had the luxury of signing projects. 

I don't know where this "projects" stuff comes from. We've signed young players for the future for as long as I can remember. The ones I mentioned were all signed for the future but thrown in early due to injuries.

The important thing is finding the right mix. I agree with everyone who says we need 3 or 4 players in key positions. Even Craig Levein is saying that! That doesn't mean we only sign proven players. We'd only be able to afford about 15 players in that case.

3 hours ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

I agree, sort off. 

I tend to think of the core as the solid spine to build around - goalie, CBs, central mids, strikers - all on longish contracts. Agree on full backs and wingers. To be fair we've been unlucky at FB and have some decent young prospects and we lost out when going for Nial McGinn, who would have been perfect.

6 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

The weird thing is the people calling for levein’s head say we’ve had far too much squad turnover under him. What do they think will happen if we have yet another manager change?

A better squad turnover.

On 26/04/2019 at 02:01, ToqueJambo said:

I could see Doyle, Hughes, Martin, Edwards, Sammon, Wighton, McLean and Vanecek all away in the summer if we can fund new clubs to take those still under contract.

Djoum, Mitchell and Shaughnessy will leave as well so there could still be a large turnover again this summer.

Finlay James
12 hours ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Sums up his season. 

Xxxnb, read that back, not saying your rasper?xxx

Very good post mate ?