Wighton

communist

Alex Kintner

There’s definitely a good player in there.

Unfortunately for us it’s at chess or Kerplunk or Jet Set Willy. Definitely not football. ?

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• JamboAl

• Inch Hearts

• Thomaso

15 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

Unfortunately for us it’s at chess or Kerplunk or Jet Set Willy. Definitely not football. ?

Sad but true Frank!

Bazzas right boot
49 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

Disappointed in you, not like you to get personal and talk shite about our own.

He's  shite at chess as well. 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, wallace_mercer said:

What’s your point ?

he isn’t ready to play at spl level for us 

You said he needs to get used to it, he’s now played about two seasons worth of games in the league. If he’s not ready now he never will be.

Tynecastle Valhalla
6 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

You said he needs to get used to it, he’s now played about two seasons worth of games in the league. If he’s not ready now he never will be.

If he is trained properly he might improve 

i wish jj was my dad
34 minutes ago, wallace_mercer said:

Like Mulraney and Souttar?

Alex Kintner
7 hours ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Disappointed in you, not like you to get personal and talk shite about our own.

He's  shite at chess as well. 

???

Unfortunately it hasn't worked out for the lad. I'd hope we'd put him out on loan for a season and see how he progresses but I'm not sure he'll make the step up with us. Levein was a huge admirer of the lad - how much did we pay for him? 100K?

3 hours ago, Gorillajam said:

Unfortunately it hasn't worked out for the lad. I'd hope we'd put him out on loan for a season and see how he progresses but I'm not sure he'll make the step up with us. Levein was a huge admirer of the lad - how much did we pay for him? 100K?

Things haven't worked out yet for the lad but he is still young enough.

Souttar didn't exactly hit the ground running and was played at RB earlier in his time here before settling down as an accomplished central defender.

Mulraney was castigated on here at first by some of the know-all critics on here but he seems to be showing much promise.

Clare is another who looks to be picking up after a dodgy start.

So, who knows what might happen.

Pasquale for King
7 hours ago, wallace_mercer said:

James Mcpake coached him at Dundee and said he was strong as an ox, he’s quite well built. Whether he knows how to use that strength is another thing, has Jon Daly not been helping him do this as it’s obvious to see he doesn’t do it?

Pasquale for King
4 hours ago, Gorillajam said:

He might well improve with a full season at a lower end top flight club. Others have improved over the season but he’s not shown much in the first team, good for the reserves it seems.

It was £250k by all accounts. 

Cruyff Turn

Again. I think Wighton is probably a player with ability there and possibly alongside his team mates in training it can be seen. On the park where it matters though, the laddie has absolutely no fight in him at all. Had we got him for nothing then fair enough, a gamble that didn’t pay off but to think we’ve wasted money on him means he’s been a very poor acquisition. Who knows if he’ll be here long enough to eventually prove his worth. 

Bazzas right boot

I think we have too many development type players playing at the same time and over the season too often.

Wighton

Clare

Mulareny

Morrison

Keena

Ben G

Even Brandon, Godinho, Bozanic, Mitchell and the boy from Leeds on loan and our new lb to a certain extent.

DV has just let himself and the club down dramatically as well.

Too many of these players have came into the side and haven't made an immediate impact and with that results haven't been great and therefore confidence goes.

All these guys are either young, had a long term injury , in a new league or a combination of 2/3 of these factors.

The improvement in Mulareny has been good, the improvement in Clare has also been visible but it has taken allot of games for that too happen.

Mulareny improved as he was given time, but poor Morrison who is also a player in development was in the firing line to let that happen. Then he got injured.

We need players like Naismith, Smith, Uche, Haring and to a lesser extent Dikamona, Dunne,  Lee to have an immediate impact in the side.

With too many injuries too many of these players have been playing too often  and the loss of form and confidence is the result.

We need proven, more experienced  players that are not only good footballers but strong personalities, Halkett fits that bill as would Bryson. We need at least 3/4 of these types maybe more if Djoum leaves.

If we get that and ease the development players one or two at a time and from the bench we will get more from them as we'll be winning more matches and it will be  a good place to develop.

( apologies for spelling, spell check is gubbed)

Alex Kintner
51 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Things haven't worked out yet for the lad but he is still young enough.

Souttar didn't exactly hit the ground running and was played at RB earlier in his time here before settling down as an accomplished central defender.

Mulraney was castigated on here at first by some of the know-all critics on here but he seems to be showing much promise.

Clare is another who looks to be picking up after a dodgy start.

So, who knows what might happen.

Needs to get his confidence back. A loan for first half of next season would be a good idea.

2 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

He might well improve with a full season at a lower end top flight club. Others have improved over the season but he’s not shown much in the first team, good for the reserves it seems.

It was £250k by all accounts. 

He came from a lower end top flight club - Dundee.

What accounts say it was £250k?

7 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

James Mcpake coached him at Dundee and said he was strong as an ox, he’s quite well built. Whether he knows how to use that strength is another thing, has Jon Daly not been helping him do this as it’s obvious to see he doesn’t do it?

Strong as an ox????  The laddie couldn’t kick himself out of a wet paper bag!  McJakey taking the piss!!!

Young players taking ages to settle into team; abnormal number of players with long  term injuries; clapped out duds getting signed from  lower leagues - common factor - management of CL and his training set up

Cruyff Turn
7 hours ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

I think we have too many development type players playing at the same time and over the season too often.

Wighton

Clare

Mulareny

Morrison

Keena

Ben G

Even Brandon, Godinho, Bozanic, Mitchell and the boy from Leeds on loan and our new lb to a certain extent.

DV has just let himself and the club down dramatically as well.

Too many of these players have came into the side and haven't made an immediate impact and with that results haven't been great and therefore confidence goes.

All these guys are either young, had a long term injury , in a new league or a combination of 2/3 of these factors.

The improvement in Mulareny has been good, the improvement in Clare has also been visible but it has taken allot of games for that too happen.

Mulareny improved as he was given time, but poor Morrison who is also a player in development was in the firing line to let that happen. Then he got injured.

We need players like Naismith, Smith, Uche, Haring and to a lesser extent Dikamona, Dunne,  Lee to have an immediate impact in the side.

With too many injuries too many of these players have been playing too often  and the loss of form and confidence is the result.

We need proven, more experienced  players that are not only good footballers but strong personalities, Halkett fits that bill as would Bryson. We need at least 3/4 of these types maybe more if Djoum leaves.

If we get that and ease the development players one or two at a time and from the bench we will get more from them as we'll be winning more matches and it will be  a good place to develop.

( apologies for spelling, spell check is gubbed)

I think you make a good point about too many new players and too many young players. I reckon there is probably a fair bit in that.

On the other hand, I just don’t think any of them are good enough to play for a Hearts side that should be, at a bare minimum, up Aberdeen’s arse challenging for 3rd. 

I don’t see anything that says Godinho, Brandon, Morrison, Wighton Or Keena are good enough or going to be. They are treading water at best. We’ve seen plenty good lads come through the ranks here and not so good, so tbf, you can tell pretty quickly whether or not they are going to make the grade.

Garuccio, Mulraney and Clare should really be backup squad players. They might become good enough or consistent enough to be one of gods chosen XI but they’re only playing because the standard at the moment is so low. 

Bozanic, Lee, not really good enough for different reasons. Miles away from what we need. There is no point in wasting time with 26-31 year old players who aren’t making a huge difference instantly. They need punted pronto. 

Cochrane ?‍♂️ Who knows. Too young to write off but we know he’s got talent. 

Again agree, we need more guys like Halkett, Bryson would be a cracking signing on the same wavelength as Naisy.

I respect Djoum for his efforts this season but ultimately we need something a bit different. Our midfield needs a major overhaul in all honesty. We need 3 or 4 new central midfielders, Bryson hopefully being one. 

Maybe the guys like Hickey, Cochrane, McDonald, Connor Smith and Andy Irvine might be a better batch than the lads around the squad just now at 19-22. We do need to keep putting them in early doors though to see what they are like but in the same breath, we can’t keep saying, they ‘might’ be good enough in a few years or whatever if they don’t take their opportunity.

Ajax whole sides like 17-22 yrs old, **** knows how they do it but they seem to have a never ending conveyor belt of talent. They throw them in at 16-17, if they aren’t good enough they’ll take them out for a bit then try again, if they’re still not doing the biz, released, cheerio. We’re still hanging onto lads at 20-21 yr old who made their debuts at 17 and will never be good enough. What I’m saying is, we need to speed up the process in the same regard because I’ve yet to see one youth player from Johnston’s era to Cochranes, that eventually made it if they weren’t instantly good enough or didn’t show something early doors. We need to be ruthless. It’s a shame but those lads who aren’t good enough can make a decent career for themselves earlier if they were moved on quickly instead of being punted out on loan for 3 years. It’s just a waste of time. 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Strong as an ox????  The laddie couldn’t kick himself out of a wet paper bag!  McJakey taking the piss!!!

I think he has the strength but doesn’t know how to use it.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/hearts-craig-wighton-ranked-beside-robert-snodgrass-and-leigh-griffiths-1-4825940

Edited by Pasquale for King

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Feck McJakey and his opinion!!!

What you don’t think he will be as good as Snodgrass and Griffiths? 

Bazzas right boot
30 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

I think you make a good point about too many new players and too many young players. I reckon there is probably a fair bit in that.

On the other hand, I just don’t think any of them are good enough to play for a Hearts side that should be, at a bare minimum, up Aberdeen’s arse challenging for 3rd. 

I don’t see anything that says Godinho, Brandon, Morrison, Wighton Or Keena are good enough or going to be. They are treading water at best. We’ve seen plenty good lads come through the ranks here and not so good, so tbf, you can tell pretty quickly whether or not they are going to make the grade.

Garuccio, Mulraney and Clare should really be backup squad players. They might become good enough or consistent enough to be one of gods chosen XI but they’re only playing because the standard at the moment is so low. 

Bozanic, Lee, not really good enough for different reasons. Miles away from what we need. There is no point in wasting time with 26-31 year old players who aren’t making a huge difference instantly. They need punted pronto. 

Cochrane ?‍♂️ Who knows. Too young to write off but we know he’s got talent. 

Again agree, we need more guys like Halkett, Bryson would be a cracking signing on the same wavelength as Naisy.

I respect Djoum for his efforts this season but ultimately we need something a bit different. Our midfield needs a major overhaul in all honesty. We need 3 or 4 new central midfielders, Bryson hopefully being one. 

Maybe the guys like Hickey, Cochrane, McDonald, Connor Smith and Andy Irvine might be a better batch than the lads around the squad just now at 19-22. We do need to keep putting them in early doors though to see what they are like but in the same breath, we can’t keep saying, they ‘might’ be good enough in a few years or whatever if they don’t take their opportunity.

Ajax whole sides like 17-22 yrs old, **** knows how they do it but they seem to have a never ending conveyor belt of talent. They throw them in at 16-17, if they aren’t good enough they’ll take them out for a bit then try again, if they’re still not doing the biz, released, cheerio. We’re still hanging onto lads at 20-21 yr old who made their debuts at 17 and will never be good enough. What I’m saying is, we need to speed up the process in the same regard because I’ve yet to see one youth player from Johnston’s era to Cochranes, that eventually made it if they weren’t instantly good enough or didn’t show something early doors. We need to be ruthless. It’s a shame but those lads who aren’t good enough can make a decent career for themselves earlier if they were moved on quickly instead of being punted out on loan for 3 years. It’s just a waste of time. 

Yeah, all fair to an extent. 

As a club we won't have 11 Naismith /Souttar type level players but we need about 5/6

About 3/4 Smith/ Djoum/uche types 

About 3/4 older squad players, Lee, Dikamona, McLean etc

3/4 young players

3/4 development players 

The above two groups should play no more than maybe 5-10 starts and maybe the same from the bench. 

We should not have 3/4 starting any games. 

We need a better core of players, Halkett is a good start.. 

I'd have no problem with development type players on the fringes or out on loan if we had a good first team, as you say in line with at least Aberdeen. 

2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

What you don’t think he will be as good as Snodgrass and Griffiths? 

Good one!! ?

Pasquale for King
3 hours ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

As a club we won't have 11 Naismith /Souttar type level players but we need about 5/6

3/4 young players

3/4 development players 

The above two groups should play no more than maybe 5-10 starts and maybe the same from the bench. 

I'd have no problem with development type players on the fringes or out on loan if we had a good first team, as you say in line with at least Aberdeen. 

Good response to a good post, the only problem is the continuing Injury situation at the club.

Cruyff Turn
11 hours ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

3/4 young players

3/4 development players 

Agreed.

The first XI doesn’t need to be top notch in every position. I’d love to have a Takis Fyssas at Left back but it’s not a necessity.

As you say we need a mixture.

Good solid experience like Smith and Berra. A few guys like Naisy in attacking areas and midfield who are top level players in terms of intelligence but out wide, they can be either rapid with end product or maybe even a Milinkovic type player who is off the cuff, they don’t need to be Messi, they just need to bring something to the table. Really, we just need much better than what we have at the moment. 

If there are kids who are good enough, they’re old enough to play most weeks imo. I don’t agree with protecting them unless they are playing poorly. Of course, having a better side would be a better environment to put them into in the first place.

Bazzas right boot
7 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Good response to a good post, the only problem is the continuing Injury situation at the club.

It hasn't helped. 

In fact we seem to get wiped out in a position at a time, centre defence, strikers, full backs. It's just silly tbh. 

However, better recruitment would also have helped, 1 effectivel winger and 1 striker would have helped immensely. 

I hope that he doesnt play any part in the match on Sunday.

Cant bare to watch him running about Easter Road like a wimp and backing out of 50 50 challenges!

Looks like Wighton is unjustly being made the scapegoat for a poor Hearts team performance against Rangers on here. It's a bit unfair to single him out. I watched the match on Sky and and have just watched it again on Hearts TV. Wighton was only dispossessed once in the game (in the centre circle) which led to their first goal and also had a decent header on target which resulted in a great save from McGregor and also did well to get in behind Goldson.  Souttar's distribution was awful by his standards putting the ball straight out for a Rangers throw in on a number of occasions. Souttar also had a few slack passes as did Burns, Bozanic, Lee and Uche. When Cochrane came on he was dispossessed 3 times in just over a minute (it was mentioned on the Sky commentary) but didn't get slated for it as it didn't result in a goal for Rangers. Uche, Bozanicc, Lee and Djoum also lost possession a number of times. 

1 hour ago, SevenTay said:

Looks like Wighton is unjustly being made the scapegoat for a poor Hearts team performance against Rangers on here. It's a bit unfair to single him out. I watched the match on Sky and and have just watched it again on Hearts TV. Wighton was only dispossessed once in the game (in the centre circle) which led to their first goal and also had a decent header on target which resulted in a great save from McGregor and also did well to get in behind Goldson.  Souttar's distribution was awful by his standards putting the ball straight out for a Rangers throw in on a number of occasions. Souttar also had a few slack passes as did Burns, Bozanic, Lee and Uche. When Cochrane came on he was dispossessed 3 times in just over a minute (it was mentioned on the Sky commentary) but didn't get slated for it as it didn't result in a goal for Rangers. Uche, Bozanicc, Lee and Djoum also lost possession a number of times. 

Wighton is not being judged on one game - he is being judged on numerous pish poor performances!