More than a landmark?

Morgan

Following on to the news about the Notre Dame fire, we were talking about places we have visited over the years that we would be equally sad about, if they suffered the same fate as the Paris landmark.

We came up with five.

Edinburgh Castle

Il Duomo di Milano

The Sistine Chapel

The Sagrada Familia 

The Musee du Louvre

Is there anywhere you have visited that would sadden you should they succumb to fire (or any other disaster)?

Funnily enough especially since they seem to have saved most of it Notre Dame could end up even better.

The spire that collapsed was a shit, cheap add on from 19th century and it's been allowed to decay for years. 

By the way I'm raging about the O2 being destroyed in Glasgow. Don't care about the Rennie McIntosh building especially since they fecked up. 

21 minutes ago, obua said:

Tynecastle Park.

Bad enough seeing the scorching after the flares had been thrown on it. 

The whole thing burning is an awful thought. :boak:

Too many to list, I love visiting iconic buildings. So many iconic buildings I have got a buzz from seeing. That strange feeling when you go to a city like New York or Paris for the first time and everything feels strangely familiar as you've spent so much of your life seeing them in films and TV shows. 

56 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Funnily enough especially since they seem to have saved most of it Notre Dame could end up even better.

The spire that collapsed was a shit, cheap add on from 19th century and it's been allowed to decay for years. 

How dare you , some French guy said that spire had stood as a symbol of Paris for 1000years...

I actually didn’t know it was an add on , agree it could look even better though. It will be done meticulously and built as best they can to avoid any similar misfortune in future.

The Taj Mahal

St Magnus Cathedral

The Parthenon (despite it being only a shadow of its former self already)

The Alhambra

The Mezquita in Córdoba

Eiffel Tower

Sydney Opera House

Forth Bridges

Coliseum & Pantheon  Rome

Parthenon Athens

St Pauls

Guggenheim Bilbao & NY

Diggers

The Pyramids

Jambo-Jimbo

Karnak Temple

Valley of the Kings

Pantheon in Rome

Colosseum

Ostia Antica

Pompeii

None of the above could be destroyed by fire but are at risk from other natural disasters such as earthquakes.

The Natural Order

There isn't a building on the planet that is worth a single human life so as long as nobody was hurt or killed in something like a fire then I can't imagin being massively distraught.

A Boy Named Crow

My favourite pub, The Windsor, was sacrificed to make way for Sydney’s new metro line. Never had a beer at notre dame, but the loss of the Windsor was crushing!

Edited by A Boy Named Crow

Buckingham Palace, I realise not a popular choice, but the building and surroundings hold many memories for me, in that I participated in ceremony that men like me had performed, in the same uniform ,and drill as I for many, many years before.. It will also be a valuable tool if the monarchy ever ceases to exist as it would be an example of the opulence and privilege they enjoyed.

Aye Buckingham Palace.

:Aye:Only if it was empty.

?

Edited by ri Alban

On 19/04/2019 at 18:08, Morgan said:

Following on to the news about the Notre Dame fire, we were talking about places we have visited over the years that we would be equally sad about, if they suffered the same fate as the Paris landmark.

We came up with five.

Edinburgh Castle

Il Duomo di Milano

The Sistine Chapel

The Sagrada Familia 

The Musee du Louvre

Is there anywhere you have visited that would sadden you should they succumb to fire (or any other disaster)?

Is the Sistine as awe inspiring as I think is? I want to visit The White House, The Palace of Wm, The Vatican, The Golden gate bridge, Christ the redeemer, The Mayan and Aztec Ruins, Egypt, Cambodian ruins, The Great wall of China and All the amazing natural wonders. Angel falls numero uno.

Too old now, :(

Jambo-Jimbo
1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

Is the Sistine as awe inspiring as I think is? I want to visit The White House, The Palace of Wm, The Vatican, The Golden gate bridge, Christ the redeemer, The Mayan and Aztec Ruins, Egypt, Cambodian ruins, The Great wall of China and All the amazing natural wonders. Angel falls numero uno.

You're never too old.

Wasn't overly blown away by the Sistine chapel tbh, don't get me wrong it is a marvel but maybe as I'm not religious then maybe it didn't inspire me like it does some people, in saying that I'm glad I've seen it.  The Vatican is huge and as you'd expect opulant to the point of excess, the Stuart monument is quite nice, managed to get within a foot or two of the casket containing the remains of Bonnie Prince Charlie, his brother & their father.

Egypt was amazing, Karnak & Luxor temples, The Valley of the Kings & the tombs, Hatshepsut's temple, Medinet Habu all stunning & utterly amazing.

Hoping to go to Cairo in the next few years to see the Pyramids, Sphinx & the new Egyptian Museum.

6 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

You're never too old.

Wasn't overly blown away by the Sistine chapel tbh, don't get me wrong it is a marvel but maybe as I'm not religious then maybe it didn't inspire me like it does some people, in saying that I'm glad I've seen it.  The Vatican is huge and as you'd expect opulant to the point of excess, the Stuart monument is quite nice, managed to get within a foot or two of the casket containing the remains of Bonnie Prince Charlie, his brother & their father.

Egypt was amazing, Karnak & Luxor temples, The Valley of the Kings & the tombs, Hatshepsut's temple, Medinet Habu all stunning & utterly amazing.

Hoping to go to Cairo in the next few years to see the Pyramids, Sphinx & the new Egyptian Museum.

? You seem well travelled JJ.

I hope to start next year. It well past about time the Mrs and Me had a wee holiday abroad or 10. 

Jambo-Jimbo
40 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

? You seem well travelled JJ.

I hope to start next year. It well past about time the Mrs and Me had a wee holiday abroad or 10. 

No more so than most folks nowadays, although I want to see all the things I want to whilst I'm still able to do so, none of us are getting any younger.

We came up with five.

Edinburgh Castle

Il Duomo di Milano

The Sistine Chapel

The Sagrada Familia 

The Musee du Louvre

I'd like to gie the shitebag that graffiti'ed the Ring of Brodgar a severe boot in the stanes. Standing stanes obviously. ?

Edited by whodanny

The only one of the listed I have not seen is the Great Wall and fortunately for some reason neither the wife or I have any ambition to visit China. Egypt including Cairo and the Pyramids, was a gift to me from the Government, and of course in the name of Her Majesty the fairly new Queen at the time Elizabeth. It  was a special trip flew out, and came back on the SS Georgic a cruise ship, if in Cairo I would suggest the Museum also very interesting. The camping part of the trip was a bit long and living in a tent for twenty months is not ideal, but that is what world travel is all about.  It makes you appreciate the country of birth ruled by a Regal now Old Lady.:leveinnaturalorder:

8 hours ago, ri Alban said:

You're not too old, don't be daft!!

From your list I have seen The Golden gate Bridge (our best friends live in Sausalito) and The Vatican (therefore the Sistine too).

The Sistine Chapel was a wee bit of a disappointment (very small, not what we had anticipated) but still very good to see.

Try and do some of them, you only live once. :thumbsup: 

14 minutes ago, Morgan said:

You're not too old, don't be daft!!

From your list I have seen The Golden gate Bridge (our best friends live in Sausalito) and The Vatican (therefore the Sistine too).

The Sistine Chapel was a wee bit of a disappointment (very small, not what we had anticipated) but still very good to see.

Try and do some of them, you only live once. :thumbsup: 

I think of Michaelangelo holding a hawk and trowel with a fag hanging fae his mooth. Yes! A bit crude, but it makes me smile. 

You have me thinking about bucket list design, now. ?

Edited by ri Alban

2 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I think of Michaelangelo holding a hawk and trowel with a fag hanging fae his mooth. Yes! A bit crude, but it makes me smile. 

You have me thinking about bucket list designation, now. ?

Do it mate!

Good luck, and enjoy.

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

We, my wife and I, are so glad we did our world travelling when we could. Some before retirement, but the majority after. The thing one does not consider in younger years, that in older years health problems can ensue, not only making travel physically difficult but as has happened with me, travel insurance because of past medical problems make it prohibitive. I am indeed fortunate that my bucket is completely empty, althoug our desire to travel is not quenched but has had stoppage enforced.

13 minutes ago, bobsharp said:

We, my wife and I, are so glad we did our world travelling when we could. Some before retirement, but the majority after. The thing one does not consider in younger years, that in older years health problems can ensue, not only making travel physically difficult but as has happened with me, travel insurance because of past medical problems make it prohibitive. I am indeed fortunate that my bucket is completely empty, althoug our desire to travel is not quenched but has had stoppage enforced.

? Yer the inspiration if JKB, Bob.

My wife has a blood clot in her left femoral vein, ATM.  So we're kinda grounded, just now.

Edited by ri Alban

42 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

My wife has a blood clot in her left femoral vein, ATM.  So we're kinda grounded, just now.

Yes thats a bummer, but you guys are still young so lots of time,  like the saying goes shit happens, it does to me I just don't take it, its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog.

alwaysthereinspirit
17 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

You're never too old.

Was in Rome last week. On our Vatican tour they told us that if you looked at every item on display in the Sistine Chapel and Vatican for only one minute it would take you 7 1/2 years to view every item. I think it would be sad to see either building up in flames.

Edinburgh Castle on fire would bring me to tears. Of that I am sure.

29 minutes ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

Was in Rome last week. On our Vatican tour they told us that if you looked at every item on display in the Sistine Chapel and Vatican for only one minute it would take you 7 1/2 years to view every item. I think it would be sad to see either building up in flames.

*Edinburgh Castle* on fire would bring me to tears. Of that I am sure.

*This or even Stirling Castle. History needs saved.

15 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Good idea, ri. Make it so!

Jambo-Jimbo
5 hours ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

Edinburgh Castle on fire would bring me to tears. Of that I am sure.

Do you know how much they were charging to visit John Paul II tomb, think it was €7 back in 2014 (which I didn't do), I can remember the days when you got down in the crypt below the basilica for free, including John Paul II tomb, that was before they made him a saint though.

All roads lead to Gorgie

Some coastal historical sites are threatened by sea level rises. It would be a shame to see something like the Skara Brae stone dwellings in Orkney being destroyed. 

The trouble with the Sistine Chapel is your not allowed to discuss the amazing art on show with others inside the same time as you.

I find the security inside spoils your visit.

Loads of Churches in Venice I would be heartbroken if they got destroyed

Add on Scuola Grande di San Rocco in Venice as well.

All roads lead to Gorgie
3 minutes ago, benny said:

The trouble with the Sistine Chapel is your not allowed to discuss the amazing art on show with others inside the same time as you.

I find the security inside spoils your visit.

Loads of Churches in Venice I would be heartbroken if they got destroyed

Add on Scuola Grande di San Rocco in Venice as well.

The guards also keep saying no photos which most people ignore anyway. 

Edited by All roads lead to Gorgie

We came up with five.

Edinburgh Castle

Il Duomo di Milano

The Sistine Chapel

The Sagrada Familia 

The Musee du Louvre

Will never forget my mind trying to digest what it was seeing.  Unbelievable structure.

17 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Sorry to hear about your wife, ri.

1 hour ago, Morgan said:

Sorry to hear about your wife, ri.

Thanks bud. Slowly getting there, but it's hard to watch.