Extinction Rebellion

Lord BJ

Central Belt 1874
41 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

In general, folk who are at the head of an organisation who are in the publicity game tend not to refuse interviews. 

That she's shit at them is neither here nor there. 

Maybe her co-founders are worse. Maybe they don't care. Maybe they're labouring under the mantra of no publicity is bad publicity. They're an un-professional organisation after all.

Before you poo-poo this lot you'd do well to ask yourself what the rest of us are doing about anthropogenic climate change and environmental degredation/pollution? Not a lot beyond a few LED lightbulbs and walking to the shops I'd hazard. The fact that developing and industrialised nations are doing diddly squat makes us feel powerless. It's also a handy excuse to hide behind and justify our own lack of action. At least this shower are making a tangible effort to do SOMETHING. Whatever that something might turn out to be. More power to them. Hopefully the more sentient amongst us can see beyond some temporary mild inconvenience and shoddy interview techiques and take ownership of the bigger picture. 

Or you could self-justify your choice of the easy option by wrapping yourself in the nihilistic comfort blanket that reads 'we're all ****ed anyway so why bother'. 

Great post. 

• Replies 586
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jambo-Jimbo

• ri Alban

• Lord BJ

• Governor Tarkin

49 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

In general, folk who are at the head of an organisation who are in the publicity game tend not to refuse interviews. 

Maybe her co-founders are worse. Maybe they don't care. Maybe they're labouring under the mantra of no publicity is bad publicity. They're an un-professional organisation after all.

Before you poo-poo this lot you'd do well to ask yourself what the rest of us are doing about anthropogenic climate change and environmental degredation/pollution? Not a lot beyond a few LED lightbulbs and walking to the shops I'd hazard. The fact that developing and industrialised nations are doing diddly squat makes us feel powerless. It's also a handy excuse to hide behind and justify our own lack of action. At least this shower are making a tangible effort to do SOMETHING. Whatever that something might turn out to be. More power to them. Hopefully the more sentient amongst us can see beyond some temporary mild inconvenience and shoddy interview techiques and take ownership of the bigger picture. 

Or you could self-justify your choice of the easy option by wrapping yourself in the nihilistic comfort blanket that reads 'we're all ****ed anyway so why bother'. 

That is all well and good but it fundamentally fails to address the root of the problem, and that is bringing the so called third-world countries up to western levels of recycling, emission controls etc.

The UK is but a dot in the ocean compared to countries like India, China, and African countries.  Some of the pictures I've seen of India show unbelievable levels of pollution and dumping.   For some reason I can't fathom the UK is still paying India aid while they spend billions on space and nuclear programmes.

Then we have this complete arsehole in the USA who thinks investing in the coal industry will win him votes so he is overriding eco controls to help himself.

So yes, we can do our bit with recycling and moving to eco friendly transport but it will make no difference whatsoever.

Governor Tarkin
9 minutes ago, frankblack said:

That is all well and good but it fundamentally fails to address the root of the problem, and that is bringing the so called third-world countries up to western levels of recycling, emission controls etc.

The UK is but a dot in the ocean compared to countries like India, China, and African countries.  Some of the pictures I've seen of India show unbelievable levels of pollution and dumping.   For some reason I can't fathom the UK is still paying India aid while they spend billions on space and nuclear programmes.

Then we have this complete arsehole in the USA who thinks investing in the coal industry will win him votes so he is overriding eco controls to help himself.

So yes, we can do our bit with recycling and moving to eco friendly transport but it will make no difference whatsoever.

"Extinction Rebellion (XR) says direct action is needed to force governments to act urgently on climate change and wildlife declines and halt a “sixth mass extinction”.

“Only a peaceful planet-wide mobilisation of the scale of the Second World War will give us a chance to avoid the worst-case scenarios,” it says.

I believe they plan to address the concerns you've raised in your post above. 

I trust you'll now be joining them in our existential struggle. 

1 hour ago, Governor Tarkin said:

? 

Especially the last sentence. Though I'd be harsher and say it's not nihilism it's cynicysm. Those people - and there are a few on this thread - just don't want to change their destructive habits and so pretend it's a lost cause. It's selfishness. 

Though your way is probably more diplomatic and effective.

7 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

"Extinction Rebellion (XR) says direct action is needed to force governments to act urgently on climate change and wildlife declines and halt a “sixth mass extinction”.

“Only a peaceful planet-wide mobilisation of the scale of the Second World War will give us a chance to avoid the worst-case scenarios,” it says.

I believe they plan to address the concerns you've raised in your post above. 

I trust you'll now be joining them in our existential struggle. 

Nope.

These people are well intentioned halfwits.  Have they started in India, Pakistan, Africa, China, or the USA yet with these protests yet?  These are the places they need to start as they are miles behind us in climate change legislation.  I seriously doubt these people have the guts to go there and try for fear of the consequences.

Their approach will result in armed police taking no prisoners sooner or later, and I think it would be better sooner.  From what I was told some of these clowns drove up to Edinburgh and unloaded bikes to cycle the remaining 10 minutes to North Bridge.  Practice what you preach, eh?

Edited by frankblack
Jambo-Jimbo
42 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I'm simply saying that some folks shouldn't be put anywhere near a camera or microphone, that's all I'm saying.

I don't believe I've mentioned anything about whether I support or don't support the current actions of XR or indeed any other climate change organisation/body/ movement, so it seems strange that you'd think that I'd 'poo-poo this lot' especially since you don't know me Adam, you have no idea who I support or don't support or what I believe or don't believe in nor how active or inactive I am in this sphere.

All I've poo-pooed, to coin a phrase, is two people who have given interviews which haven't enhanced in anyway shape or form the position or standing of their organisation and therefore shouldn't be anywhere near a camera or microphone, if you want to read anything else into that, then that's just assumptions on your part.

Governor Tarkin
4 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Nope.

These people are well intentioned halfwits.  Have they started in India, Pakistan, Africa, China, or the USA yet with these protests yet?  These are the places they need to start as they are miles behind us in climate change legislation.  I seriously doubt these people have the guts to go there and try for fear of the consequences.

Their approach will result in armed police taking no prisoners sooner or later, and I think it would be better sooner.  From what I was told some of these clowns drove up to Edinburgh and unloaded bikes to cycle the remaining 10 minutes to North Bridge.  Practice what you preach, eh?

It's up to you if you want to have a go being part of the solution, frank. 

I believe I've already covered the alternative. 

1 minute ago, Governor Tarkin said:

It's up to you if you want to have a go being part of the solution, frank. 

I believe I've already covered the alternative. 

It will probably take a series of extreme weather events to turn some of these countries around rather than a bunch of protestors.

Governor Tarkin
8 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I'm simply saying that some folks shouldn't be put anywhere near a camera or microphone, that's all I'm saying.

I don't believe I've mentioned anything about whether I support or don't support the current actions of XR or indeed any other climate change organisation/body/ movement, so it seems strange that you'd think that I'd 'poo-poo this lot' especially since you don't know me Adam, you have no idea who I support or don't support or what I believe or don't believe in nor how active or inactive I am in this sphere.

All I've poo-pooed, to coin a phrase, is two people who have given interviews which haven't enhanced in anyway shape or form the position or standing of their organisation and therefore shouldn't be anywhere near a camera or microphone, if you want to read anything else into that, then that's just assumptions on your part.

I wasn't addressing you specifically, or attempting to falsley attribute any viewpoints. It's was simply that your post provided me with a reasonable platform from which to procede on to my next point. I guess that means some people shouldn't be put anywhere near a keyboard either, eh. 

Go easy on the defensiveness, cowboy. :thumbsup:

15 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Nope.

These people are well intentioned halfwits.  Have they started in India, Pakistan, Africa, China, or the USA yet with these protests yet? 

There's only one African country that emits more CO2 than us. One out of the entire continent. 

"Africa" ? 

Governor Tarkin
5 minutes ago, frankblack said:

It will probably take a series of extreme weather events to turn some of these countries around rather than a bunch of protestors.

Many are allready experiencing them, but it's predominantly the poor and those with little voice who are thus far disproportionately affected. 

I'd say a multi pronged, international approach would have a greater chance of success than simply waiting on the climate to become so ****ed up that it starts hitting governments and multinationals in the pocket. 

No point in slaming the stable door, etc. 

1 hour ago, parker said:

There's only one African country that emits more CO2 than us. One out of the entire continent. 

"Africa" ? 

Ok smartarse.  A slip with posting quickly before match started.

Point still stands.  These unwashed unrmployed smelly hippies will get their heads cracked if they try this in any country in Africa or Asia.

Jambo-Jimbo
2 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I wasn't addressing you specifically, or attempting to falsley attribute any viewpoints. It's was simply that your post provided me with a reasonable platform from which to procede on to my next point. I guess that means some people shouldn't be put anywhere near a keyboard either, eh. 

Go easy on the defensiveness, cowboy. :thumbsup:

If not addressed to me specifically, then who were you addressing this to?

'Before you poo-poo this lot you'd do well to ask yourself what the rest of us are doing etc etc'

4 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I choose not to have a car for environmental reasons. That's 22 years now. 

So if any environmental campaigner has a car (electric still pretty rare) then they are at least less helpful than I am. And I don't campaign. 

If any environmental campaigner ever takes a flight they are at best  hypocrites. 

It's good to make people aware. So fair play. But actually taking action is different. 

Governor Tarkin
41 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

So if any environmental campaigner has a car (electric still pretty rare) then they are at least less helpful than I am. And I don't campaign. 

If any environmental campaigner ever takes a flight they are at best  hypocrites. 

It's good to make people aware. So fair play. But actually taking action is different. 

Fair play for not having a car. I refused to have one until the Mrs went self employed and need one to lug her gear around in. 

We're all hypocrites to some degree or other. 

I'm a hypocrite because I'm employed by international oil and gas companies. 

I square this with my smelly, hippie, tree-hugging tendencies by working on survey and resevoir optimisation, the minimisation of environmental impacts, and relations with local fisheries and other stakeholders. This saves a hell of a lot less heavy marine fuel being burnt into the atmosphere than a decade ago and an absolute mountain of rubbish from being dumped in the oceans. 

Through a concerted effort and at considerable cost we've gone a long way to cleaning this industry up (as much as you can clean it up, right?). Especially exploration and extraction. Much of this has been made possible by the actions of the little people who form environmental pressure groups that lean on governments, ergo energy companies, and the dedication of the environmentally conscious employees that toil from within to bring the big oil and gas players to heel. 

Like I said, I'm a total ****ing hypocrite, but it's surely better to have some tree huggers inside the tent pissing out than have all of our tree huggers outside the tent pissing in. 

The only way things will really change (like REALLY change) is if we keep up the pressure on the governments and multi-nationals, and, importantly, don't feel that we can't make a positive contribution for fear of being branded a hypocrite. 

Edited by Governor Tarkin
Governor Tarkin
48 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

If not addressed to me specifically, then who were you addressing this to?

'Before you poo-poo this lot you'd do well to ask yourself what the rest of us are doing etc etc'

I used 'you' in the collective sense. 

Bridge of Djoum
On 19/04/2019 at 04:12, jack D and coke said:

I think the population are every bit as bad. 

We want to use our cars to go everywhere, 3-4 holidays a year flying all over the shop and new stuff constantly. 

We like it when our politicians pour scorn on the theory that we’re running out of time. We just want it to go away. 

There is no saving us imo we’re too selfish. 

2-3 years ago I had a client, quite wealthy, although she didn't work. Her husband was in high finance. I met her briefly one morning on my way to work, she was dressed in ''shabby'' designer gear. Scarves, dirty $400 boots, ripped Gucci jeans and such forth. She was with 2 similarly dressed women, drinking pricey coffee, loading up a brand new BMW SUV. When I asked where she was going, she told me her and her friends were off to North Dakota to protest the pipeline being built through Indian land. When I asked where they were flying from, she just pointed to the heavily laden BMW and said, ''driving". 

TBF she is one of those Coachella bores. Tells you she's going for the down at earth music experience but in reality sleeps in a $3000 a night tent when she's there.

Governor Tarkin
10 minutes ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

2-3 years ago I had a client, quite wealthy, although she didn't work. Her husband was in high finance. I met her briefly one morning on my way to work, she was dressed in ''shabby'' designer gear. Scarves, dirty $400 boots, ripped Gucci jeans and such forth. She was with 2 similarly dressed women, drinking pricey coffee, loading up a brand new BMW SUV. When I asked where she was going, she told me her and her friends were off to North Dakota to protest the pipeline being built through Indian land. When I asked where they were flying from, she just pointed to the heavily laden BMW and said, ''driving". 

TBF she is one of those Coachella bores. Tells you she's going for the down at earth music experience but in reality sleeps in a $3000 a night tent when she's there.

Aye, but was she worth a pumping? 

Bridge of Djoum
1 minute ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Aye, but was she worth a pumping? 

She's relatively well-known in certain circles. In Romania more-so.

Yes, she's worth it.

All roads lead to Gorgie

Climate change is happening folks, no doubt about it. I have been climbing hills in the Highlands for years and this year has the least snow cover ever. These protesters have got it wrong however, targetting public transport which takes cars off the road. 

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
On 19/04/2019 at 18:28, Mikey1874 said:

Curious. Some other good points made too.  

Protest is to get attention. So that's what they are doing.  

There are clearly hypocrisies in terms of someone flying to attend, lots of plastic bottles and disputing public transport. 

The solutions are in technology not just consumption. An advanced society has more chance of developing the technology. I'm fairly confident of solutions but there will be areas that will still suffer from climate change. 

The hypocrite could have protested in LA. She is a ****ing cow.

Sorry for taking a wee but to get back to you.

45 minutes ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

The hypocrite could have protested in LA. She is a ****ing cow.

Sorry for taking a wee but to get back to you.

No worries, cheers. 

Extinction Rebellion have certainly clarified my thoughts on the matter. 

Aside from disrupting public transport which is stupid, if you have a car and fly you cannot say you support the environment. 

Their targets imply certainly no aeroplanes and possibly no cars. 

Just creating a world with more hypocrites perhaps. 

3 hours ago, Adam Murray said:

Had a wee chuckle when I seen this, 'virtue signalling little turds' ?

WhatsApp Image 2019-03-17 at 19.41.53.jpeg

Utter shite, written and endorsed by utter shite.

On 20/04/2019 at 10:17, Governor Tarkin said:

This .

SNP has declared a climate emergency but still based on 2050 targets. 

Thought that would be something for Scottish Government to do but there you go. Was announced at SNP conference. 

Nicola will probably still fly to London though. 

maroonlegions
On 19/04/2019 at 21:47, Francis Albert said:

Mass culls of humans have always occurred. Rather fewer now than in the past. As for the future who knows? I suspect these protesters will have close to zero.impact except on their own egos.

Except that this time nature will take over the mass cull, that is when the eco systems collapse , then humanity  is seriously fecked.

There is a "dieback" happening right now with a lot of species, its a matter of time when humanity is really impacted by it.

4 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

SNP has declared a climate emergency but still based on 2050 targets. 

Thought that would be something for Scottish Government to do but there you go. Was announced at SNP conference. 

Nicola will probably still fly to London though. 

The misplaced smugness and arrogance of the SNP in overstepping their powers will bite them in the ass next Holyrood election.  Examples are trying to act like a head of state in Europe and negotiate against Brexit, demanding an Indy Ref 2, and now this Extinction Rebellion,  associating with anarchists and unemployable hygienically challenged wasters.

There won't be an Indy Ref 2 before next Holyrood term and they won't have control of the parliament afterwards to get one.

Francis Albert
4 hours ago, maroonlegions said:

Except that this time nature will take over the mass cull, that is when the eco systems collapse , then humanity  is seriously fecked.

There is a "dieback" happening right now with a lot of species, its a matter of time when humanity is really impacted by it.

I think die back of species is far from a new phenomenon.

11 hours ago, frankblack said:

The misplaced smugness and arrogance of the SNP in overstepping their powers will bite them in the ass next Holyrood election.  Examples are trying to act like a head of state in Europe and negotiate against Brexit, demanding an Indy Ref 2, and now this Extinction Rebellion,  associating with anarchists and unemployable hygienically challenged wasters.

There won't be an Indy Ref 2 before next Holyrood term and they won't have control of the parliament afterwards to get one.

:rofl:

Have read the polls, even survation (Scotland in Union) has them on average 24 points in front , in all elections. 

Oh and Holyrood already rubber-stamped inref2. It's the Tories who won't be in office.

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

:rofl:

Have read the polls, even survation (Scotland in Union) has them on average 24 points in front , in all elections. 

Oh and Holyrood already rubber-stamped inref2. It's the Tories who won't be in office.

Polls mean nothing.  You aren't getting Indy Ref 2, so your next major campaign will be Holyrood.

That will become a bitter campaign on the merits or lack of Independence, with a repeat of the last General Election ion the cards where you lost a lot of Westminster seats.  Same thing happens for Holyrood and nationalists majority is gone and with it Indy Ref 2.

Edited by frankblack
The Real Maroonblood
12 hours ago, frankblack said:

Yawn.

14 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Yawn.

Time to wake up and smell the coffee.  Neither Labour nor the Tories will give you that referendum so soon after the last one. ?

2 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Time to wake up and smell the coffee.  Neither Labour nor the Tories will give you that referendum so soon after the last one. ?

Remind me, you voted yes?

:Aye:

UDI it is!

Just now, ri Alban said:

Remind me, you voted yes?

:Aye:

UDI it is!

Go read any of the other threads where you or the other select fanboys asked that question.

People are sick of Sturgeon and the other whingers who are truly tiresome with their non stop grievance politics.

2 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Go read any of the other threads where you or the other select fanboys asked that question.

People are sick of Sturgeon and the other whingers who are truly tiresome with their non stop grievance politics.

Aye, cause brexit helped matters. Only panic merchant Unionist/loyalist talk like you.

10 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Aye, cause brexit helped matters. Only panic merchant Unionist/loyalist talk like you.

Sure, lets all solve the uncertainties of Brexit with by exiting both the EU and UK with Independence and have our own currency too.

What could possibly go wrong? :rofl:

You will never sell that to electorate.  Its a complete shambles.

14 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Sure, lets all solve the uncertainties of Brexit with by exiting both the EU and UK with Independence and have our own currency too.

They don't need to sell it to the electorate, just a relatively small amount of them. People like you aren't listening, people on their side don't need convinced, they only need to sell to those who are undecided or can be convinced.

After the last few years I reckon that a Yes We Can message of positivity will gain more traction than before, especially when people look at the utter shambles that is Westminster. The angry contempt card that unionists seem to favour isn't likely to be a huge turn on to the undecided IMO, and in fact is more likely to be a reminder of why we need to get away from Westminster.

But we'll see, interesting times!

The Real Maroonblood
49 minutes ago, frankblack said:

There you go again.

Your post your posts as facts.

Give it a rest and stop being a self loathing Scotsman.

Bindy Badgy
On 20/04/2019 at 14:26, Mikey1874 said:

The term hypocrite is massively overused as a criticism as it doesn't invalidate the point that the target is making. Lots of people called Di Caprio a hypocrite after his Oscar's acceptance speech a few years ago. Whilst being accurate it doesn't address or refute the point that he was making. The Fox News crew often use the accusation as a diversion that enables them to attack the messenger rather than address the points being made. They've done this repeatedly with the likes of Di Caprio and Al Gore.

The Internet
3 minutes ago, Stokesy said:

The term hypocrite is massively overused as a criticism as it doesn't invalidate the point that the target is making. Lots of people called Di Caprio a hypocrite after his Oscar's acceptance speech a few years ago. Whilst being accurate it doesn't address or refute the point that he was making. The Fox News crew often use the accusation as a diversion that enables them to attack the messenger rather than address the points being made. They've done this repeatedly with the likes of Di Caprio and Al Gore.

:spoton:

25 minutes ago, Stokesy said:

Correct

15 hours ago, frankblack said:

Image result for yougov scotland holyrood

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2019/04/27/scottish-independence-yes-vote-climbs-49

Only one poll, but just sayin'...

3 hours ago, Stokesy said:

They used,  a barrier that was used to help police well wishers, to attack Bernie Sanders as a hypocrite on Trump's wall. :rofl:

Edited by ri Alban
Governor Tarkin
4 hours ago, Stokesy said:

Correct. 

8 hours ago, frankblack said:

Well I see more the possibility of things being positive.

The currency red herring is easily dismantled especially if you promote strict banking rules.

Scotlands economy and resources should be under Scottish control.

Fully.