Extinction Rebellion

Lord BJ

Slightly surprised there doesn’t appear to be s thread on it. 

However, this group over the last number of days have been undertaking a lot direct action to cause maximum disruption to London (and other areas) in attempt to  force some action over environmental concerns. 

They have caused massive disruption in London and talk of them trying to close down Heathrow today, albeit I think the police may have stopped that.

Part of me admires their dedication to the cause but at the same time they are causing massive disruption to people everyday life, costing people and business money and diverting police resources. The longer it goes I tend to feel people’s sympathy for the cause will disappear as their everyday life’s are being targeted.

A little bit bit about them below.

https://www.independent.co.uk/environment/extinction-rebellion-protest-climate-change-who-london-global-warming-a8875151.html

What’s people’s feeling on their tact?

Edited by Lord BJ
  • Replies 586
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jambo-Jimbo

• ri Alban

• Lord BJ

• Governor Tarkin

AlphonseCapone

On the one hand, action that impacts people's daily lives is the most likely to get the attention of the masses. On the other hand, it's also more likely to lose you support than gain it.

It also breaks my life rule, people can do whatever they like as long as it doesn't break the law or interfere negatively with someone else.

I don't know how I feel about it. 

Tommi smells blood

They are nowhere near as effective as Greta Thunberg & her network, the attention this young girls actions are getting is commendable but I suspect as with anything environmental/sustainable led the people in power don’t really care and it’s all lip service.

jack D and coke
4 minutes ago, Tommi smells blood said:

They are nowhere near as effective as Greta Thunberg & her network, the attention this young girls actions are getting is commendable but I suspect as with anything environmental/sustainable led the people in power don’t really care and it’s all lip service.

I think the population are every bit as bad. 

We want to use our cars to go everywhere, 3-4 holidays a year flying all over the shop and new stuff constantly. 

We like it when our politicians pour scorn on the theory that we’re running out of time. We just want it to go away. 

There is no saving us imo we’re too selfish. 

Fair play to them. It's quite clear that it's nigh on impossible to enact any change through the political process, so direct action is the only way forward. 

As you say though, they could be a bit smarter about it and try to get the public onside more. 

No doubt our resident forelock-rugging reactionaries will be on here sharpish to tell us they should be water cannoned. 

Tommi smells blood
4 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

We want to use our cars to go everywhere, 3-4 holidays a year flying all over the shop and new stuff constantly. 

We like it when our politicians pour scorn on the theory that we’re running out of time. We just want it to go away. 

Absolutely, I know a devout recycler who waxes lyrical about her efforts to save the planet. Saying how she sorts everything to send to various places.

when I told her she’d make a bigger difference not buying it the look could have killed me.

Behaviours need to change first but your right we are selfish and won’t do without what others have. Human nature is greed

Edited by Tommi smells blood
Sir Craig Gordon

If only they cared about their own hygiene as much as they did the planet, did you see the state of some of them on north bridge? Smelly, greasy little weirdos.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

Emma Thompson flew from LA to Heathrow to take part. 

****ing hypocrite. They should be getting kettled. 

Imagine how in the future they will look back on this period of time?  It's horrifying what we are doing to the planet and we are too greedy to change our ways.

It's a sad state of affairs but I don't see it changing anytime soon, money controls the world and saving the planet involves losing money.

Here in Scotland we do more than most countries to save the planet but it's a drop in the ocean compared to the harm caused by China/India

1 hour ago, jack D and coke said:

Sadly very true and I include myself in the too selfish category.

1 hour ago, AlphonseCapone said:

It also breaks my life rule, people can do whatever they like as long as it doesn't break the law or interfere negatively with someone else.

I don't know how I feel about it. 

Very much in this space, I can’t help but feel their are more effective ways to go about this. I feel they are impacting the wrong people.

40 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

There it is. 

In fairness, some of them look like they are taking saving water a little too far!!! 

6 minutes ago, XB52 said:

Here in Scotland we do more than most countries to save the planet but it's a drop in the ocean compared to the harm caused by China/India

The uk has been one of the better countries at doing their bit. An interview by a environmentalist admitted as much. Could they do more, off course.I guess as we are such a developed country it’s is a bit easier for us.

I actually think the bigger issue is not so much China and India, but actually the Arab nations who are obviously heavily invested in fossil fuels

jack D and coke
15 minutes ago, XB52 said:

Isn’t America the worst? I’m sure I read if we all used as many resources and waste as them we’d need near four earth like planets to cope. 

We need to accept the fact that we’re all ****ed frankly. It’s too little far too late. 

Edited by jack D and coke
36 minutes ago, XB52 said:

Bingo.

The problem we have is that the rich countries allow the so called poorer ones a free pass, and that uneducated halfwit stateside is undermining everybody else.

These countries dwarf the likes of the UK in terms of population and pollution and anything we do is pointless until they follow suit.

We could recycle 100% of our waste, and get 100% of our power from "clean" energy sources in the UK, and it still wouldn't help when you've got the rampant pollution going on in developing countries.  Dumping waste in rivers and the sea, creating huge amounts of pollution, and generally not giving a shit means most of what we're doing is completely futile.  We also conveniently export a hell of a lot of our dangerous/electronic waste to these countries, meaning we're directly responsible for some of the stuff that we criticise.  

Everyone needs to do it equally, and it's just not going to happen because it's cheaper and more convenient to make it someone else's problem.

Jambo-Jimbo
10 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Bingo.

The problem we have is that the rich countries allow the so called poorer ones a free pass, and that uneducated halfwit stateside is undermining everybody else.

These countries dwarf the likes of the UK in terms of population and pollution and anything we do is pointless until they follow suit.

Exactly, even if the UK became the most green nation on earth it wouldn't amount to much, certainly in terms of the scale of the overall waste pollution.

These protestors say that direct action is the only thing that works, well maybe they should direct their protests towards the countries which are the Worlds biggest polluters, although I doubt the Indian or Chinese Police would be so careful when freeing their superglued hands from the pavement.

Captain Sausage

The protestors are a shower of arseholes. As has been said above, the UK isn’t the problem. The US, middle and Far East and Africa are the places we need to sort. 

Add in in the fact you have people trying to disrupt Heathrow, despite having recently been to Indonesia/Alps/etc. Utter hypocrites. 

Also...targeting public transport. Wtaf. As in, the communal transport methods that cut our emissions. Twats. 

They just simply do not care about anything or anything outside their little bubble of sanctimony.  Ambulances desperate to get from A to B - who cares.  People trying to get to work and make a living? Who cares - they are all greedy bankers in their eyes.

Absolute deluded pond life, never worked a day in their over entitled, self important arsehole life.

1 minute ago, JimKongUno said:

Id like to see the polis steam in and batter **** out of them

Armed police at that.  Not the ones armed with hairspray and a stick of rock, I'm talking the serious boys and girls.

Central Belt 1874
23 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

They just simply do not care about anything or anything outside their little bubble of sanctimony.  Ambulances desperate to get from A to B - who cares.  People trying to get to work and make a living? Who cares - they are all greedy bankers in their eyes.

Absolute deluded pond life, never worked a day in their over entitled, self important arsehole life.

A laughably ignorant post on the current and severe degradation of our natural environment, the decisions you make here and now can affect people in other parts of the world, and vice versa.

People are dying every day all over the world due to the actions of people here going to work. But who ****ing cares eh, as long as im alright. 

Detestable attitude.

The Internet
2 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

The planet is fecked in any case so I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts.

The planet will be fine. The things living on it are the ones with problems. 

8 minutes ago, Central Belt 1874 said:

A laughably ignorant post on the current and severe degradation of our natural environment, the decisions you make here and now can affect people in other parts of the world, and vice versa.

People are dying every day all over the world due to the actions of people here going to work. But who ****ing cares eh, as long as im alright. 

Detestable attitude.

These wasters are not saving the world, they are disrupting it and being a public nuisance  There are many ways to change the world and doing what they are doing is not it.  Me, I choose to work hard pay taxes and recycle pretty much everything I can.  This is doing more to help the world than not showering for a decade, eating Soy, scrounging benefits and being a public ****ing nuisance. Everyone has a right to protest but absolutely no-one has a right to be a public nuisance.

Edited by i8hibsh
Riddley Walker
Just now, i8hibsh said:

These wasters are not saving the world, they are disrupting it and being a public nuisances  There are many ways to change the world and doing what they are doing is not it.  Me, I choose to work hard pay taxes and recycle pretty much everything I can.  This is doing more to help the world than not showering for a decade, eating Soy, scrounging benefits and being a public ****ing nuisance. Everyone has a right to protest but absolutely no-one has a right to be a public nuisance.

Parklife!

1.6% of all our tax goes to Environmental causes.  That is doing your bit.

Sitting on your arse and telling the world how bad they are is doing **** all.

Perhaps, next time these wasters are on their iphones they can perhaps also take time out of virtue signalling on Twitter to go on to Google and look for a ****ing job.

You know, those anti-capitalists love these companies.

The extinction rebellion are wasting their time , the sun will double in size and blow up , taking the Earth with it . no amount of glueing themselves to trains can stop that

Nookie Bear
25 minutes ago, Central Belt 1874 said:

Detestable attitude.

Well my mortgage company cares that i am going to work and earning money for a start.

To point the finger at anyone who goes to work will win you no followers and just starts your argument from an unrealistic position that is not worth discussing.

Geoff Kilpatrick
29 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

The planet will be fine. The things living on it are the ones with problems. 

Fair point well made.

33 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

These wasters are not saving the world, they are disrupting it and being a public nuisance  There are many ways to change the world and doing what they are doing is not it.  Me, I choose to work hard pay taxes and recycle pretty much everything I can.  This is doing more to help the world than not showering for a decade, eating Soy, scrounging benefits and being a public ****ing nuisance. Everyone has a right to protest but absolutely no-one has a right to be a public nuisance.

Hee hee, the irony!

People thinking a 15 minute disruption to their commute just isn't worth trying to save the earth for.

**** it, lets keep cutting up asbestos too, other countries still do it.

In fact, I've seen Indian welders do welding without using eye protection. **** it, if they don't neither should we.

More density than mercury on this forum at times. 

4 minutes ago, southcap said:

People thinking a 15 minute disruption to their commute just isn't worth trying to save the earth for.

**** it, lets keep cutting up asbestos too, other countries still do it.

In fact, I've seen Indian welders do welding without using eye protection. **** it, if they don't neither should we.

Please explain how a few hundred hippies making a nuisance of themselves in the street will in anyway or could in any way "change the Earth".

It is as much use as a prayer, retweet, Facebook like or changing your profile pic and that is compelte **** all.

Governor Tarkin
11 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Please explain how a few hundred hippies making a nuisance of themselves in the street will in anyway or could in any way "change the Earth".

It is as much use as a prayer, retweet, Facebook like or changing your profile pic and that is compelte **** all.

Gotta start somewhere, i8. 

What kind of planet do you want your children growing up on? 

15 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Correct, in an isolated incident, they won't.

The whole point is to get the message across, which it did, as several days later, people are still talking about it on here.

Job's a good un.

Governor Tarkin
19 minutes ago, southcap said:

A reasonable point, but don't conflate willful ignorance with stupidity, as Festinger might say. 

Just now, Governor Tarkin said:

A reasonable point, but don't conflate willful ignorance with stupidity, as Festinger might say. 

It's hard not to when the outcome is identical.

Good on them 

Folk saying 'ooo but we're quite good in the UK'. The UK is in part why a lot of these developing countries are fecked and doing what they do. 

The US and China need to step up the plate big time though. 

People are far too selfish for it to have any impact though. 

Just now, southcap said:

Why bother with gay rights in this country when other countries still execute gay people?

It's like people seem to think it's only the current offenders whose ecology will crumble.  Like nature is going to go 'oh I don't think I'll destroy life in the UK, they weren't too bad laterally'.

2 minutes ago, southcap said:

Why bother with gay rights in this country when other countries still execute gay people?

Climate whataboutery.

18 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Gotta start somewhere, i8. 

What kind of planet do you want your children growing up on? 

One that encourages hard work.

18 minutes ago, southcap said:

Correct, in an isolated incident, they won't.

The whole point is to get the message across, which it did, as several days later, people are still talking about it on here.

Job's a good un.

You really think one person on the planet needs workshy wasters to tell them about the threat of planet degradation?  As if someone was walking about London the other day and saw them and said “oh my word of course, I am so glad they are there as now I know that humans are damaging the earth'  Give me a break.  The only people benefiting from this is them by all the virtue signalling fodder it gives them to post on their social media accounts.

Edited by i8hibsh
2 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

You really think one person on the planet needs workshy wasters to tell them about the threat of planet degradation?  As if someone was walking about London the other day and saw them and said “oh my word of course, I am so glad they are there as now I know that humans are damaging the earth'  Give me a break.  The only people benefiting from this is them by all the virtue signalling fodder it gives them to post on their social media accounts.

You do know people can be off work in the afternoon during the week and not be 'unemployed'?

And no, the message wasn't;

'did you know that we are destroying the earth, we should do something about it'

It was;

'unless the country starts taking more serious measures, we are going to continue being disruptive as ****'

Again, I think the message got across well since you're about to have an aneurysm about it.

8 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

One that encourages hard work.

John Lennon barely worked a day in his life.

****ing work shy hippie *****.

In my entire life Ive never come across anyone as militantly moronic as i8. Most people try and keep their stupidity to themselves but i8 treats it as some source of pride.