2019 World Snooker Championship

shaun.lawson

The Internet

Bit of a comeback from maguire, was 9-1 down now looking like 10-5 with a frame left. 

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shaun.lawson

• Victorian

• Mikey1874

• ri Alban

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cruyff Turn
6 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Bit of a comeback from maguire, was 9-1 down now looking like 10-5 with a frame left. 

Respect to him for keeping the heid and not throwing in the towel after yesterday. 

5 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

John Higgins might even be the favourite now. 

John isn't to far behind Ronnie and Stephen on the Ranking tournies. SH, RO both on 36 with JH on 30. Another WC would equal Ronnie's 5. Maybe the wee fat lad could eclipse them both in a year or two.

Cruyff Turn
3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

John isn't to far behind Ronnie and Stephen on the Ranking tournies. SH, RO both on 36 with JH on 30. Another WC would equal Ronnie's 5. Maybe the wee fat lad could eclipse them both in a year or two.

It’ll be brutal if he gets to the final and loses for the 3rd time in a row. I reckon it would be enough for him to sack it in.

Think he’s definitely got his eyes on the prize. Trump and Robertson were favourites so i’d put him as 2nd favourite now. 

Victorian

Can't stand Higgins.    Couldn't stand him even before he was rumbled on the snake.      Incredibly tough matchplayer though.      To beat Robertson from behind and in the form Robertson is in is unbelieveably good.     Only Trump can beat him.     He's way too hard for the other two.     

Cruyff Turn
8 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Can't stand Higgins.    Couldn't stand him even before he was rumbled on the snake.      Incredibly tough matchplayer though.      To beat Robertson from behind and in the form Robertson is in is unbelieveably good.     Only Trump can beat him.     He's way too hard for the other two.     

Higgins experience, tactical knowledge and safety play is too much for most. Robertson chucked it yesterday when he tried to play a 3 ball plant, a shot Higgins would never have played in a game of such magnitude. 

Victorian

If Higgins gets to the final it will be his 8th.   Hendry was in 9.    Dott has been in 3.     Would be 20 in total for the Scottish players over the past 30 years.     Maguire and McManus have been in semi finals (McManus three times).  They've certainly pulled their weight.

Victorian

If Higgins did lose another final it would be similar to Roger Federer in recent years.     He was always still good enough and competitive enough to keep reaching major finals but he started regularly losing them,   mainly to Djokovic.      It must have been tough to keep getting very close but continually running into the last insurmountable hurdle.     But he kept going and stated winning majors again.      Tiger Woods is another example under different but no less impressive circumstances.      Higgins can probably still be at the sharp end of the worlds for another 5 years.      But he would be forgiven for worrying that all he's doing is to store up more final disappointment.    

Victorian
21 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Higgins experience, tactical knowledge and safety play is too much for most. Robertson chucked it yesterday when he tried to play a 3 ball plant, a shot Higgins would never have played in a game of such magnitude. 

Robertson is a front runner.    Once he gets a bit of scoreboard comfort he just powers away.      Higgins hounding him like a rabid hyena obviously affected his decision making and resolve.    

Just now, Cruyff Turn said:

Gary Wilson is an outstanding player, where the feck did he come from. 

he looks so relaxed for being in the semi

another mistake from trump

as i type that a poor shot from wilson, but he has a shot on the black

Edited by milky_26

Cruyff Turn
Just now, milky_26 said:

he looks so relaxed for being in the semi

Definitely, he’s playing like he couldn’t give a shit. That was some clearance.

All the games have been edgy, even Trump got a bit edgy after getting 9-1 up v Maguire. Wilson seems to relish his underdog status, playing with immense self belief.

Just now, Cruyff Turn said:

Definitely, he’s playing like he couldn’t give a shit. That was some clearance.

All the games have been edgy, even Trump got a bit edgy after getting 9-1 up v Maguire. Wilson seems to relish his underdog status, playing with immense self belief.

he has the most number of century breaks in this tournament with 8

i am liking the way he plays and would like him out of the last 4 to win the trophy

The Internet

What was shouted at the ref just after Gilbert's first break? Mobile phone went off and someone shouted after the ref told them to turn it off. 

Victorian

Higgins could win that.    He has an incredible facility to hang on.     Gilbert looks shaky enough to allow him back in.     Gilbert needs to half the second mini session or he'll be sorry.

Mikey1874
1 hour ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

What was shouted at the ref just after Gilbert's first break? Mobile phone went off and someone shouted after the ref told them to turn it off. 

Swore, bizarrely 

Maybe had had a few beers.

Victorian

Pretty weak stuff from Gilbert.    Hopefully just a poor session but I think he's up against it now.     Higgins will probably pound him tomorrow.      

Gilbert is obviously very good but he's a long way off the textbook player.    A few erroneous moving parts and a very short bridge.     Won't stand up under pressure imo.

Edited by Victorian

43 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Pretty weak stuff from Gilbert.    Hopefully just a poor session but I think he's up against it now.     Higgins will probably pound him tomorrow.      

Gilbert is obviously very good but he's a long way off the textbook player.    A few erroneous moving parts and a very short bridge.     Won't stand up under pressure imo.

Gilbert's arse will collapse.

11 hours ago, Victorian said:

sadly i think you are right, higgins will now go onto beat gilbert

13 hours ago, Victorian said:

Higgins will probably pound him tomorrow.

12 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Gilbert's arse will collapse.

Well I'm not sure I'll be tuning in for that... 

10 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

how awful is john virgo as a commentator 

Put eurosport on. 

What a match btw. Epic. 

Mikey1874

The highest drama. 

Both produced. Experience counted albeit Higgins still made mistakes in that final frame. 

Wouldn't bet against him in final. 

Cruyff Turn

I think it’s incredible that John Higgins has managed to have the steel to make another Crucible final after losing the previous two. Some player.

Felt sorry for Gilbert, he was gutted, he shouldn't have re-racked up in that frame when he had a shot at potting the red. Great sportsmanship but he will no doubt live to regret that decision. He played great but lost his nerve in the end.

Higgins v Trump will be a good game but Higgins has won their last 9 meetings, something I didn’t expect at all. 

Edited by Cruyff Turn

sonwasamascot
3 hours ago, milky_26 said:

how awful is john virgo as a commentator 

“Where’s the cue ball going ?”

37 minutes ago, sonwasamascot said:

“Where’s the cue ball going ?”

The cue ball certainly wasn’t happy in his interview at the end there. :lol: 

Maroon Sailor

Virgo is a pest of a commentator. The crowd listen to his gibbering pish in those earpieces and the ref has to settle them down.  A distraction the players could do without I would imagine

Perfectly happy with the commentary. But I do miss Virgo's seethe when Stephen ruled the green baize.

Jaap's Sigh

I really do detest Virgo’s commentary. He likes to repeat a phrase several times with more and more intensity. Really gets under my skin.

Where’s the white going? WHERE’S THE WHITE GOING? WHERE’S THE WHITE GOING?! WHERE’S THE WHITE GOING?!

Mikey1874

Higgins run of 3 frames in a row started when Trump was over ambitious on positional shot at start of break. Maybe got a bit over confident after start. 

2 hours ago, Jaap's Sigh said:

I really do detest Virgo’s commentary. He likes to repeat a phrase several times with more and more intensity. Really gets under my skin.

Where’s the white going? WHERE’S THE WHITE GOING? WHERE’S THE WHITE GOING?! WHERE’S THE WHITE GOING?!

And Alan McManus is a bit of a wallaper as well.

2 hours ago, Jaap's Sigh said:

Particularly annoying when you can clearly see it’s not “going”. 

1 hour ago, allyby said:

i dont mind mcmanus as a commentator 

1 hour ago, gjcc said:

Particularly annoying when you can clearly see it’s not “going”. 

add to that the stupid ton up signs that people have.

Cruyff Turn
1 hour ago, allyby said:

I like Alan McManus, my only gripe with him is if his mate Higgins is playing, he’s a touch bias towards John. 

6 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Old man Higgins smashing in another century break. 5-4 Higgins.

now both cant pot a red, it is as if they got drunk before the 10th frame

Cruyff Turn
8 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

now both cant pot a red, it is as if they got drunk before the 10th frame

Until that shot from Trump ?? 

1 minute ago, Victorian said:

Trump is a Rolls Royce of a player when in stroke.     Pure class.    

it is just effortless at times for him