2019 World Snooker Championship

shaun.lawson

Just wonder if the table conditions played a part as well.    That left hand table has been a bit sluggish with inconsistent cushion bounces.     O'Sullivan has all the cue power in the world and would be capable of overcoming a slowish cloth per se,   but it could equally be that he was spooked enough by it to become bogged down as we was.      Cahill,   not being a top player,   is probably more accustomed to sub-elite table conditions.

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shaun.lawson

• Victorian

• Mikey1874

• ri Alban

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

O'Sullivan saying he's not been feeling great.   No energy.    

Ah well... a much younger O'Sullivan might have self-medicated to overcome such things.   ?     Allegedly.     

shaun.lawson
34 minutes ago, Chester™ said:

:greggy:

Screenshot_20190423_130748.jpg

:greggy:

Jammy git. :laugh:

So... who's your money on this year?

11 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

Jammy git. :laugh:

So... who's your money on this year?

Nothing jammy. Ronnie had a couple of pre tourney interviews where he sounded like he couldn't be arsed.

As for bets, Kyren Wilson (as I always will until he finally wins one) and Bingo (as the outsider).

If the odds werent so short, I would went in on Robertson. His form has been something else, the last few months. Unquestionably, even before Ronnie's exit, that he was the man to beat.

shaun.lawson
14 minutes ago, Chester™ said:

Nothing jammy. Ronnie had a couple of pre tourney interviews where he sounded like he couldn't be arsed.

As for bets, Kyren Wilson (as I always will until he finally wins one) and Bingo (as the outsider).

If the odds werent so short, I would went in on Robertson. His form has been something else, the last few months. Unquestionably, even before Ronnie's exit, that he was the man to beat.

Fair dos. I have to back Robbo now given he was my finalist in the other half. By heavens, it's wide open though!

shaun.lawson
4 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

How much will Cahill win. :D

A minimum 30 grand.

Ronnie has been quoted in saying the world championship is his least favourite tournament. Maybe he is catching up with him and the shorter tournaments will now be his best bets 

shaun.lawson
1 minute ago, AlimOzturk said:

Ronnie has been quoted in saying the world championship is his least favourite tournament. Maybe he is catching up with him and the shorter tournaments will now be his best bets 

That's really sad if true. It's just that Ronnie says whatever he feels like saying on any given day. Above, Chester mentioned that Ronnie seemed likely to have a can't be arsed attitude this year... but on the eve of the 2001 event, he threatened to retire, then won the thing. And he never had a more couldn't be arsed attitude than taking the entire 2012/13 season off - before coming to the Crucible, and walking it. 

But if it is true - and well, he's 43 now - then Mr Hendry's record is safe. Maybe forever.

1 hour ago, shaun.lawson said:

Never ever has the kiss of death worked with such lethal precision. 

:leveinnaturalorder:

I've also never seen Ronnie look so old all of a sudden. Weird. But a privilege to watch the end of that. Amazing, amazing sport.

Lawson you need to predict a Celtic win in the cup now

1 hour ago, shaun.lawson said:

Never ever has the kiss of death worked with such lethal precision. 

:leveinnaturalorder:

I've also never seen Ronnie look so old all of a sudden. Weird. But a privilege to watch the end of that. Amazing, amazing sport.

shaun.lawson
Just now, milky_26 said:

It's absolutely INEVITABLE. Don't even know why we're bothering to turn up tbh. 

11 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

It's absolutely INEVITABLE. Don't even know why we're bothering to turn up tbh. 

We?    

:tlj:

Radio Ga Ga
2 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

A minimum 30 grand.

Don’t think he gets a penny as he’s an amateur?

Samuel Camazzola

That's really sad if true. It's just that Ronnie says whatever he feels like saying on any given day. Above, Chester mentioned that Ronnie seemed likely to have a can't be arsed attitude this year... but on the eve of the 2001 event, he threatened to retire, then won the thing. And he never had a more couldn't be arsed attitude than taking the entire 2012/13 season off - before coming to the Crucible, and walking it. 

But if it is true - and well, he's 43 now - then Mr Hendry's record is safe. Maybe forever.

He was interviewed last week and stated it's his least favourite to play in but loves being there to watch and finds it to be a special place. 

He'll be able to watch plenty of it now. 

If he doesn't quit anytime soon, he's still got another title in him. 

shaun.lawson
39 minutes ago, benny said:

When was the last time O'Sullivan had a decent run at the Crucible.

2014. Lost in the final to Mr Granite himself, Selby. Davis never reached the final again after 1989; Hendry never did again after 2002. I fear we're in the same scenario now with O'Sullivan.

34 minutes ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

Don’t think he gets a penny as he’s an amateur?

Don't quote me on this, but I *think* it's only a technical thing. Cahill lost his tour card a couple of years back, and only entered this World Championship courtesy of a wild card (in other words, World Snooker know how dangerous he can be). He'd already got his card back even before this win.

Not only that, but in the first round of qualifying, he almost lost! He went from 8-2 up to 9-8 down v Andrew Higginson before scrambling back to win. Given this is the same Cahill who knocked Selby out of last year's UK Championship, that only goes to show the depth of it all nowadays. Anyone truly can beat anyone.

shaun.lawson

One other thought on Ronnie. I've hardly ever seen him look in a worse physical state. He couldn't keep his eyes open, and looked like he's hardly slept in weeks.

Given his mental health issues, I hope he's OK. The black dog has likely resurfaced. :( 

shaun.lawson

And also, Trump's 6-3 down to Theppy Un-Nooh. Given his talent, I'm not sure I've ever seen a worse under-achiever in this sport than Trump. 

Maroon Sailor
4 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

I said Ronnie  too

New predictions required

As soon as I saw Mr Lawson predicting Ronnie it was a 1st round exit all the way

3 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

Above, Chester mentioned that Ronnie seemed likely to have a can't be arsed attitude this year... but on the eve of the 2001 event, he threatened to retire, then won the thing. And he never had a more couldn't be arsed attitude than taking the entire 2012/13 season off - before coming to the Crucible, and walking it. 

We're all used to his blether (some similarities with Phil Taylor imo) but this year was different. Sounded like beyond the usual, almost defeatist. Bit like when Hendry was in the final throes before retirement.

shaun.lawson
1 minute ago, Chester™ said:

We're all used to his blether (some similarities with Phil Taylor imo) but this year was different. Sounded like beyond the usual, almost defeatist. Bit like when Hendry was in the final throes before retirement.

Worrying. I really hope his depression hasn't resurfaced. 

Just now, shaun.lawson said:

Worrying. I really hope his depression hasn't resurfaced. 

Might just simply be he's preparing everyone for his retirement. Higgins has sounded awfully similar lately but we don't jump to conclusions there.

59 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

2014. Lost in the final to Mr Granite himself, Selby. Davis never reached the final again after 1989; Hendry never did again after 2002. I fear we're in the same scenario now with O'Sullivan.

Don't quote me on this, but I *think* it's only a technical thing. Cahill lost his tour card a couple of years back, and only entered this World Championship courtesy of a wild card (in other words, World Snooker know how dangerous he can be). He'd already got his card back even before this win.

Not only that, but in the first round of qualifying, he almost lost! He went from 8-2 up to 9-8 down v Andrew Higginson before scrambling back to win. Given this is the same Cahill who knocked Selby out of last year's UK Championship, that only goes to show the depth of it all nowadays. Anyone truly can beat anyone.

Ffs.   Earlier on you were portraying this as some kind of Berwick Rangers win over Rangers scale of shock.     Glad to see you now see it isn't really that big at all.     An upset.    A surprise.      But yes,    Cahill could easily be a top 64 player,   perhaps top 32.     Ronnie in shaky form becomes very ordinary sometimes.      The biggest surprise within this result is that Cahill saw it out without more of a wobble.      He can take a lot from the experience of handling the highest pressure and make a good career for himself.

1 minute ago, Victorian said:

Ffs.   Earlier on you were portraying this as some kind of Berwick Rangers win over Rangers scale of shock.     Glad to see you now see it isn't really that big at all.     An upset.    A surprise.      But yes,    Cahill could easily be a top 64 player,   perhaps top 32.     Ronnie in shaky form becomes very ordinary sometimes.      The biggest surprise within this result is that Cahill saw it out without more of a wobble.      He can take a lot from the experience of handling the highest pressure and make a good career for himself.

It's not the biggest shock ever as they just said on tv. 

2 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Of course not.     The fact he's an amateur has distorted the reaction.     But he's no rank newcomer.

I think he's got a very good game and already has a rep as a heavy scorer.    A natural with the left hand as well.     If he tightens up his game he'll be a challenge for anyone.     If he remains as naive as he showed at times,   he'll lose comfortably to a hardened matchplayer.    Higgins,  Murphy,  Hawkins type.     He'll get chances vs Maguire.

Super Ronnie out you say.....

Interviews where he sounded like he couldnt be arsed....

Beaten by an amateur....

If Carlsburg did Tuesdays, get that right round you ya arrogant  prick of a man.

:jj:

Edited by Jamboelite

People cite the Tony Knowles win vs Steve Davis as the greatest shock,   maybe because it was such a pasting.     But an equally big shock result was Stephen Hendry losing to Steve James in the 1991 QF.     James should never have been able to live with Hendry at that time.     He had a very short purple patch career and was in the right place at the right time.

shaun.lawson
48 minutes ago, Victorian said:

People cite the Tony Knowles win vs Steve Davis as the greatest shock,   maybe because it was such a pasting.     But an equally big shock result was Stephen Hendry losing to Steve James in the 1991 QF.     James should never have been able to live with Hendry at that time.     He had a very short purple patch career and was in the right place at the right time.

That's a good shout. Like O'Sullivan today, Hendry was knackered. I think he'd won every single ranking event until about January, then inevitably faded.

That James match was weird. He kept sitting 2 frames behind throughout; Hendry just couldn't shake him off. Then suddenly, everyone's favourite biker raised it for four unforgettable frames, and 9-11 became 13-11 in the blink of an eye. 

James was never good enough to be World Champion - but his diabetes cost him the chance of staying up there. For 3 or 4 years between 1988 (when he was awesome on his Crucible debut, making a ridiculously brilliant, turbo-charged 140 which the BBC kept showing throughout the Championship) and 1992, he was just fabulous to watch. Definitely one of snooker's forgotten heroes. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
On 19/04/2019 at 02:59, shaun.lawson said:

Starts tomorrow (UK time, I mean), and no matter how much the game's changing (or given the continued eminence of Messrs O'Sullivan, Higgins and Williams, isn't changing at all), I still always get a buzz ahead of this tournament. Takes me back to my childhood when I used to watch wall-to-wall coverage every year, I guess.

The truth about the World Championship nowadays is it's essentially impossible to predict. Almost anyone can beat almost anyone on their day: especially, if the draw goes more or less to plan, from the last 8 onwards. Not many tipped Mark Williams to go all the way last year; scarcely anyone at all tipped any of Stuart Bingham in 2015, Graeme Dott in 2006, Shaun Murphy in 2005, or Peter Ebdon in 2002. So all things are possible - and the only thing you can be sure of is my predictions below will be wrong. I only hope: not embarrassingly so. 

Round 1 (19 frames)

Mark Williams (1) v Martin Gould

David Gilbert (16) v Joe Perry 

Barry Hawkins (9) v Li Hang 

Kyren Wilson (8) v Scott Donaldson

John Higgins (5) v Mark Davis

Stuart Bingham (12) v Graeme Dott 

Shaun Murphy (13) v Luo Honghao 

Neil Robertson (4) v Michael Georgiou 

Mark Selby (3) v Zhao Xintong 

Luca Brecel (14) v Gary Wilson 

Jack Lisowski (11) v Ali Carter 

Mark Allen (6) v Zhao Yuelong 

Judd Trump (7) v Thepchaiya Un-Nooh

Ding Junhui (10) v Anthony McGill 

Stephen Maguire (15) v Tian Pengfei 

Ronnie O'Sullivan (2) v James Cahill 

Round 2 (25 frames)

Williams v Perry 

Hawkins v Wilson 

Higgins v Dott

Murphy v Robertson

Selby v Wilson 

Carter v Allen 

Trump v Ding*

Maguire v O'Sullivan  

Quarter-Finals (25 frames)

Williams v Wilson 

Higgins v Robertson 

Selby v Allen**

Trump v O'Sullivan 

Semi-Finals (33 frames)

Wilson v Robertson 

Selby v O'Sullivan

Final (35 frames)

Neil Robertson (Australia) (4) 14-18 Ronnie O'Sullivan (England) (2)

World Champion

Ronnie O'Sullivan

* I defy anyone to predict this match. Assuming it happens, it's got 13-12 to one of them written all over it. Total coinflip. Whoever wins might well take Ronnie to the wire too.

** This is the other prediction I'm most uneasy about. Definitely a potential upset - it's just that Allen is so temperamental, and beats himself half the time.

The bottom half looks considerably stronger, which could maybe play a part overall. Finally, who do I least want to win it? Trump. Who do I most want to win it? Ding. Hopefully I've done my bit here and my traditional reverse Midas touch will do the rest. 

Enjoy the tournament, everyone! 

:toasting: 

:rofl:

shaun.lawson
1 hour ago, Victorian said:

Of course not.     The fact he's an amateur has distorted the reaction.     But he's no rank newcomer.

I think he's got a very good game and already has a rep as a heavy scorer.    A natural with the left hand as well.     If he tightens up his game he'll be a challenge for anyone.     If he remains as naive as he showed at times,   he'll lose comfortably to a hardened matchplayer.    Higgins,  Murphy,  Hawkins type.     He'll get chances vs Maguire.

It's still a monumental shock. Earth-shattering in sporting terms. 

Caveat: this game is certainly very different compared to 20 or 30 years ago. Time was when Davis, White, Parrott and Hendry (end of the 80s/beginning of the 90s) were all expected to reach the semis; and then Hendry, Higgins, O'Sullivan and Williams (end of the 90s) were all expected to do the same. Meaning a first round loss for any of them seemed massive. 

2000 was when I think it suddenly changed. On the opening day, both Stephen and Ronnie lost: the latter to David Gray. Gold star for anyone who, without cheating, can name who knocked Hendry out. 

The other shocking thing is: O'Sullivan's probably never played worse at the Crucible. I've seen him play worse - Masters 1994, lost 5-1 to Dennis Taylor and played like a complete donkey, and  I was there! - but his life was mired in crisis at the time. I only hope it isn't again now.

Edited by shaun.lawson

shaun.lawson
1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

Well... what was?

8 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

That's a good shout. Like O'Sullivan today, Hendry was knackered. I think he'd won every single ranking event until about January, then inevitably faded.

That James match was weird. He kept sitting 2 frames behind throughout; Hendry just couldn't shake him off. Then suddenly, everyone's favourite biker raised it for four unforgettable frames, and 9-11 became 13-11 in the blink of an eye. 

James was never good enough to be World Champion - but his diabetes cost him the chance of staying up there. For 3 or 4 years between 1988 (when he was awesome on his Crucible debut, making a ridiculously brilliant, turbo-charged 140 which the BBC kept showing throughout the Championship) and 1992, he was just fabulous to watch. Definitely one of snooker's forgotten heroes. 

Why? It didn't stop Steve Redgrave winning gold at five consecutive Olympic Games.

3 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

Caveat: this game is certainly very different compared to 20 or 30 years ago. Time was when Davis, White, Parrott and Hendry (end of the 80s/beginning of the 90s) were all expected to reach the semis; and then Hendry, Higgins, O'Sullivan and Williams (end of the 90s) were all expected to do the same. Meaning a first round loss for any of them seemed massive. 

2000 was when I think it suddenly changed. On the opening day, both Stephen and Ronnie lost: the latter to David Gray. Gold star for anyone who, without cheating, can name who knocked Hendry out. 

The other shocking thing is: O'Sullivan's probably never played worse at the Crucible. I've seen him play worse - Masters 1994, lost 5-1 to Dennis Taylor and played like a complete donkey, and  I was there! - but his life was mired in crisis at the time. I only hope it isn't again now.

Stuart Bingham?

shaun.lawson
2 minutes ago, Gorgiewave said:

Why? It didn't stop Steve Redgrave winning gold at five consecutive Olympic Games.

True. James also lived what we might term, the Jimmy White lifestyle. But hey ho: if he'd had a Redgrave-esque mentality, he'd never have been such fun to watch.

Cruyff Turn

One other thought on Ronnie. I've hardly ever seen him look in a worse physical state. He couldn't keep his eyes open, and looked like he's hardly slept in weeks.

Given his mental health issues, I hope he's OK. The black dog has likely resurfaced. :( 

As I said, if he was in the mood but it’s very difficult in snooker to be constantly brilliant for 100’s of frames. He’s played magnificently recently, something has obviously knocked his focus. Peaks and troughs, he’ll re-group and be back again. Maybe his form peaked too soon. Who knows, that’s the mercurial genius that is Ronnie o’Sullivan. 

7 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

Sorry but it's not.    Not by any measure.

The margins are fine in snooker.     Especially modern day snooker.     It doesn't require much of a dip in levels for the best players,   even Ronnie,    to become beatable by those way down the pecking order.      

This is no more of a sporting earth shattering event than Nadal losing matches at Wimbledon to much lower ranked players,    as has happened before.      Or Newport County beating Leicester in the cup.       

shaun.lawson

The Ten Biggest Shocks In Snooker History 

1. Dennis Taylor beats Steve Davis 18-17 on the final black having trailed 8-0

2. Stephen Hendry 0-9 Marcus Campbell, 1998

3. Steve Davis 1-10 Tony Knowles, 1982

4. Shaun Murphy wins the 2005 world title as a qualifier

5. Joe Johnson wins the 1986 world title as a complete no-hoper

6. Ronnie O'Sullivan 8-10 James Cahill, 2019

7. Doug Mountjoy wins back to back ranking titles aged 46, 1988/9

8. Paul Hunter collapses from 15-9 up to lose 17-16 to Ken Doherty, 2003

9. Alex Higgins beats Steve Davis 16-15 having trailed 7-0, 1983

10. Cliff Thorburn collapses from 9-2 up to lose 10-9 to Nigel Bond, 1994

Vic's Hendry-James '91 shout must be up there too. 

19 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

Well... what was?

Steve Davis losing to Tony Knowles 10-1 in first round in 1982. Davis was well ahead as best player in the world at the time. 

A few others like that too. 

Edited by Mikey1874

Cahill didn't even play that well to be honest.     You can tell he's got much more in his locker.     Ronnie was very poor.     Maybe as bad as he's been before.... but he has been similarly poor before.     That's why it can't be an earth shattering sporting shock.

Edited by Victorian

2 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Cahill didn't even play that well to be honest.     You can tell he's got much more in his locker.     Ronnie was very poor.     Maybe as bad as he's been before.... but he has been similarly poir before.     That's why it can't be an earth shattering sporting shock.

It's easily part of the pattern of Ronnie's play and career. He ended playing very well apart from one bad miss at 8-8 on pink and fluke penalty shot on blue splitting pack. 

No big deal. 

Edited by Mikey1874

We're all missing an obvious shock that ranks above this one.    Didn't even make Shaun's list.

Mark Williams winning the WC last year.     That ranks beside Tiger winning the Masters,    Paul Laurie and Darren Clarke winning The Open during the last 20 years.    Tom Watson and Greg Norman (to a lesser extent) going close to winning it aged 59 and 53.

Edited by Victorian

Hendry 13-4 Higgins in 2012 was a big shock result to me.     One of the hardest matchplayers / heaviest scorers ever to play the game vs Hendry,    who had already abandoned any notion of matchplay snooker.     He was on the brink of retirement due to repeated poor performance.     His remaining game was purely based on all out attack.     Couldn't stomach trying to play any safety play whatsoever (never his strong suit even at his very best).       Higgins should have eaten him alive as O'Sullivan had done on a couple of occasions.     But Higgins chucked in one of his worst ever performances.      Hendry then went on to be blootered by Maguire.     Then retired.

Edited by Victorian

Maroon Sailor

Biggest shock would be Shaun Lawson ever getting a prediction right.

Absolute jonah