Incommunicado

Deodato

Weirdly, I've fallen (back) in love with the music of Marillion. 

Why? Not sure, but I did stumble on Rush 'Hold Your Fire' at the start of the year, and that made me appreciate Prog-Rock for all of its technical flaws. Then, this tune got into my head and it ain't getting out anytime soon. The band reminds me of Rush as well, but they didn't try to hard and that's what makes the music work, the songs shine and the bridge-to-the-chorus so catchy. Pretty sure Fish is from Edinburgh and a bit of a legend too. 

Starting digging deep into their catalogue and there are gems galore in there. 'Tux On' is a goodie to go dig out. 

Anyone seen them live back in their prime?

Deodato

Sorry De'o - the only band that sound like Rush are Rush.

Vocally and musically - Marillion are miles away.

Always thought they were Genesis inspired altho' could be wrong.

2 hours ago, Deodato said:

Weirdly, I've fallen (back) in love with the music of Marillion. 

Why? Not sure, but I did stumble on Rush 'Hold Your Fire' at the start of the year, and that made me appreciate Prog-Rock for all of its technical flaws. Then, this tune got into my head and it ain't getting out anytime soon. The band reminds me of Rush as well, but they didn't try to hard and that's what makes the music work, the songs shine and the bridge-to-the-chorus so catchy. Pretty sure Fish is from Edinburgh and a bit of a legend too. 

Starting digging deep into their catalogue and there are gems galore in there. 'Tux On' is a goodie to go dig out. 

Anyone seen them live back in their prime?

Deodato

I saw Marillion on the Clutching at Straws tour at the Playhouse.  That gig still rates amongst the best I"ve seen.

I've never seen the Hogarth-era Marillion but hace seen Fish solo a number of times.  He always avoids talking about football whenever some arse in the crowd shouts something about it.

5 hours ago, frankblack said:

I saw Marillion on the Clutching at Straws tour at the Playhouse.  That gig still rates amongst the best I"ve seen.

I've never seen the Hogarth-era Marillion but hace seen Fish solo a number of times.  He always avoids talking about football whenever some arse in the crowd shouts something about it.

Would live to see him play a gig at Tynecastle.

3 minutes ago, superjack said:

:cornette:

I was just waiting to see how long it would be before someone tried to hijack the thread.

Edited by frankblack

5 hours ago, graygo said:

He lives just outside Haddington now but is originally from Dalkeith.

Does he not live in Germany now?

8 hours ago, felix said:

Sorry De'o - the only band that sound like Rush are Rush.

Vocally and musically - Marillion are miles away.

Always thought they were Genesis inspired altho' could be wrong.

Very much Genesis, you can hear the Influence of Gabriel in his voice. 

Saw them numerous times in the 80's.

I was at the Playhouse for 3 nights at the end of Fish's tenure.

Ive seen Fish solo loads of times incl at a miners club in Dalkeith.

Recently he has been pish live.

Seen them play the Kaim park in Bathgate in the 80's sometime, cracking gig.

'3 boats down from the candy' is an amazing track.

36 minutes ago, graygo said:

Nope, Spittalrig Farm near Haddington.

You sure he still lives there?  It's been up for sale for a year and is being used as and Airbnb just now.

8 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

You sure he still lives there?  It's been up for sale for a year and is being used as and Airbnb just now.

No can't guarantee it. According to his twitter feed he is still in East Lothian though and was in the Royal as recently as last month and a picture from this month shows the Lammermuir Hills from his garden.

Is it possible that there more than one part to Spittalrig Farm and part of it is up for sale, part is for rental and he lives in part?

Edited by graygo

1 hour ago, graygo said:

No can't guarantee it. According to his twitter feed he is still in East Lothian though and was in the Royal as recently as last month and a picture from this month shows the Lammermuir Hills from his garden.

Is it possible that there more than one part to Spittalrig Farm and part of it is up for sale, part is for rental and he lives in part?

He must still be there then. I mind reading somewhere that he'd converted his recording studio in to house, so there will be more that one property there.

9 hours ago, graygo said:

Bumped into a German guy in Italy last year who insisted Fish was his next door neighbour in Germany :D

16 hours ago, Dunks said:

Bumped into a German guy in Italy last year who insisted Fish was his next door neighbour in Germany :D

Some folk will fall for any old chat up line.

Did he have leather breeks on?  ;) 

Love a bit Prog but his voice goes right through me. That Lavender Blue thing put me right of them too.

Rush were the dugs dangly bits. Clockwork Angels is one of my favourite albums of all time. Cracking book too if you can get a hold of it, brings a bit more to the album.

Newer prog stuff like Steven Wilson and Anathema is decent too

Yeah, first time I saw Marillion was at the Kaim Park hotel. 

When they played the Nite Club in Edinburgh I believe they asked the resident DJ not to play any early Genesis in case folks spotted the similarity! The fact that half of us there were at the gig due to that influence seemed to be missed by them at the time.

Saw them quite a number of times after that and quite a number of Fish solo shows. Always a good entertainer. 

As for Rush they are truly magnificent. Finishing on a high with Clockwork Angels. The R40 shows (I was lucky enough to catch them in the US) were brilliantly put together going through the years right back to the start (with even a snippet of "Garden Road" thrown in for good measure).

For those who love Rush stuff can I highly recommend next Saturday night (27 April) heading to Bannermans as 3 piece Italian tribute La Villa Strangiato are playing. These guys are the dog's bollocks when it comes to doing Rush, but just with added Italian accent vocally. Tickets are available from Ticket Scotland and the venue if you fancy an over 2 hour performance of Rush music! 

davemclaren
On 16/04/2019 at 21:09, graygo said:

He lives just outside Haddington now but is originally from Dalkeith.

I used to drink with him when we was a forester working up at Rosewell 78/79. 

On 17/04/2019 at 07:13, superjack said:

Taking this as a joke in reference at the cancelled gig during our troubled times. One of the finest moments in our history.

On 17/04/2019 at 09:56, graygo said:

Your sister must have been in the same year as Cammy. I believe fish was in Cammy class, that's how i know he modelled  himself on Peter Gabriel. 

4 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Taking this as a joke in reference at the cancelled gig during our troubled times. One of the finest moments in our history.

It was just a joke, I don't actually mind marillion. When I used to play guitar as a young teenager I done some advance lessons as part of the Duke of Edinburgh's award, the guy teaching me was a big fan, so I was learning to play along to songs like incommunicado, garden party etc.

queensferryjambo

Marillion were absolutely brilliant.

I saw them every time they Played the Edinburgh Playhouse (which was 7 times I think) also saw them a couple of other times elsewhere. Wasn't really into the Clutching at Straws LP but loved the first three.

Never got into any of the stuff with the other singer but saw Fish quite a few times post Marillion. 

Still have my Script for Scotland tour shirt (and a pile of others) and the Edinburgh Playhouse poster for the final shows in Edinburgh.

46756114_2315378215199387_247418536048197632_n.jpg

1.jpg

1 hour ago, flecktimus said:

Your sister must have been in the same year as Cammy. I believe fish was in Cammy class, that's how i know he modelled  himself on Peter Gabriel. 

Having thought about it I think she was maybe a year younger than them but aye Cammy would be ages with him.

Marillion was my favourite band in the 80s and Misplaced Childhood is still one of my favourite albums.  I saw them umpteen times at the playhouse, the Barrowlands and the SECC.  And I went to the Milton Keynes Bowl to see them headline a summer festival.  Have seen Fish live a few times, but his voice has gone, now.

Hogarth era Marillion isn’t Marillion.  I’ve tried to like them.  Even went to see them at he Picturehouse a few years back during their Sounds That Can’t Be Made tour.  Doesn’t work for me.

Like an earlier poster, I’d also recommend Anathema and Steven Wilson.  Have seen them both live and both are excellent.

Edit - for a slightly heavier take on prog, check out a band called Haken...

Edited by Haken

Super grateful for the comments on this thread, it's helped me dig deeper into their repertoire.

Even on a retrospective tip, I can't be bothered going into the post-Fish era of Marillion, the lead singer led the band. 

Does anyone know how they did Stateside? The sound and production would have been a perfect fit for the US radio back then. 

Appreciation, all around. Especially for that Playhouse poster. 

queensferryjambo
18 hours ago, Deodato said:

Does anyone know how they did Stateside?  

They didn't do very well they definitely supported Rush for some dates during the Script tour which presumably was the Signals tour for Rush. I definitely have a US tour shirt I got from a roadie mate of mine somewhere.

Kayleigh got top 75 in the US but instead of releasing the same follow up tracks as the UK they made in my opinion a big mistake in the US releasing Lady Nina as a single in the Misplaced Childhood era when hey had much stronger tracks.

On 19/04/2019 at 00:51, Deodato said:

Super grateful for the comments on this thread, it's helped me dig deeper into their repertoire.

Even on a retrospective tip, I can't be bothered going into the post-Fish era of Marillion, the lead singer led the band. 

Does anyone know how they did Stateside? The sound and production would have been a perfect fit for the US radio back then. 

Appreciation, all around. Especially for that Playhouse poster. 

They never made it in the States.  Few prog bands do, for some reason.  Exceptions would be Floyd and Yes.

They definitely toured with Rush.  I think the first three tracks (four on the Cd) of the live album Real to Reel were recorded supporting Rush.

Hogarth-Marillion have some decent tracks, but they’re a different band.  I can’t think of a single one that has a Rothery solo like Chelsea Monday or Sugar Mice.  

Fish wasn't the first singer either - I've got an album somewhere with the original.

Gies a bun :D

Edited by Dunks

On 20/04/2019 at 18:06, Dunks said:

Fish wasn't the first singer either - I've got an album somewhere with the original.

Weren’t they a four piece instrumental band called Silmarillion?  They decided to advertise for a singer.  Pretty sure I’ve read that Fish answers an advert in Melody Maker and the track he was sent was The Web.

How does an elephant ask for a bun?

On 20/04/2019 at 18:06, Dunks said:

What is the album?  I'm curious what the tracks were.

7 hours ago, frankblack said:

What is the album?  I'm curious what the tracks were.

I'll see if I can find it. Was a demo album, so may not have been released. I bought it in 1987 at a record fair :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, Dunks said:

Found it online :D

20190422_081745.jpg

Great, cheers.

I did have a browse on Discogs but found nothing on the first few pages (they have a hell of a lot of official bootlegs that mean their catalogue is massive to search on Discogs).

This period of the band isn't something I'm familiar with, and I don't think any of those songs lasted into the Fish era or beyond.

Out of interest, the original drummer, Mick Pointer (?), plays in a band called Arena.

Rothery has his own band that does instrumentals.

pete Trewavas plays in a band called Transatlantic, which includes Neil Morse, Reine Stolt and Mike Portnoy.  Pretty decent.

2 hours ago, frankblack said:

This period of the band isn't something I'm familiar with, and I don't think any of those songs lasted into the Fish era or beyond.

The 'B' side to this is a bunch of songs with Fish as lead :thumbsup:

image.png.7c3c4a8991a375057adf2821bfe8f5a1.png