Dallas

Jason Dufner

Jason Dufner

No not the TV show.

I’m going to be Dallas later in the year and have been struggling to find anyone that has been to ask about the place.

To that end hoping that some on here perhaps have experience of Dallas?

Myself and my girlfriend are really looking to do as much as we can in the week that we’re there but are open to any suggestions of things to do/places to see. 

Hoping to take in a Cowboys game but that’s schedule dependant and looked through a visit Dallas book but keen to hear from anyone with first hand experience.

Thanks in advance!

4 hours ago, Jason Dufner said:

No not the TV show.

I’m going to be Dallas later in the year and have been struggling to find anyone that has been to ask about the place.

To that end hoping that some on here perhaps have experience of Dallas?

Myself and my girlfriend are really looking to do as much as we can in the week that we’re there but are open to any suggestions of things to do/places to see. 

Hoping to take in a Cowboys game but that’s schedule dependant and looked through a visit Dallas book but keen to hear from anyone with first hand experience.

Thanks in advance!

Mon the Redskins!

Kalamazoo Jambo

The Sixth Floor Museum is essential (all about JFK and his assassination).

What time of year will you be going?

I’ve been a few times. Uber is presumably a game changer now, but you’d previously have wanted to rent a car, given the size of the place. The metroplex area is a collection of big towns - eg the Cowboys and Rangers play in Arlington, not Dallas (a decent drive from Dallas City Centre).

Sixth Floor Museum is excellent. Deep Ellum area good for bars/eateries (to name but one area). A trip to Fort Worth is worthwhile.Grapevine is a nice place. 

**** the Cowboys. But once schedule is out (this week I think)  and you know if they are at home when you’re there, should’ve easy enough enough to get tickets (NFL Ticket Exchange)...depending on how much you are willing to pay. 

If there for a week, consider going to Austin for a night or two. A few hours drive...a short hop for Texas. 

Hugh Phamism

Went to a Texas Rangers baseball game at Arlington, and bought my ticket on the night for $16. When I got inside, I sat down at an outdoor bar for some food and drink and a couple came along and asked if they could sit at my table. I turned out they were ex-pats from Dunfermline and had a spare season ticket for right behind Home Plate. They asked me to join them and then plied me with beer all night. Great experience and I couldn't thank them enough.

Also, if you like your classic or custom cars, check out Gas Monkey Garage. They also have a bar and grill with regular live music close to the city centre.

Craig Gordons Gloves

I've been numerous times for both work and my goddaughter lives there so i've visited a few times to see her. I have to be honest, it's a pretty shite place to visit.  As Peebo mentioned, it's sprawling beyond belief and downtown - JFK stuff aside, there isn't a huge amount to actually do.  As previously advised, try and get down to Austin for a couple of days and maybe even San Antonio.  Six Flags amusement park is always an option as well as Grapevine.  We did do a Cowboys stadium tour one time and that was really good.

Jason Dufner
14 hours ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

The Sixth Floor Museum is essential (all about JFK and his assassination).

What time of year will you be going?

Yeah that’s definitely on our to do list!

Going in September so still a bit of time yet 

Jason Dufner
11 hours ago, Peebo said:

I’ve been a few times. Uber is presumably a game changer now, but you’d previously have wanted to rent a car, given the size of the place. The metroplex area is a collection of big towns - eg the Cowboys and Rangers play in Arlington, not Dallas (a decent drive from Dallas City Centre).

Sixth Floor Museum is excellent. Deep Ellum area good for bars/eateries (to name but one area). A trip to Fort Worth is worthwhile.Grapevine is a nice place. 

**** the Cowboys. But once schedule is out (this week I think)  and you know if they are at home when you’re there, should’ve easy enough enough to get tickets (NFL Ticket Exchange)...depending on how much you are willing to pay. 

If there for a week, consider going to Austin for a night or two. A few hours drive...a short hop for Texas. 

Thanks a lot for the advice, any restaurants in particular you’d recommend in the deep Ellum area?

We’re undecided on hiring a car but it may end up that we do that so they could be options.

I’ve read a lot about the art district, any idea what that’s like? 

1 hour ago, Jason Dufner said:

Thanks a lot for the advice, any restaurants in particular you’d recommend in the deep Ellum area?

We’re undecided on hiring a car but it may end up that we do that so they could be options.

I’ve read a lot about the art district, any idea what that’s like? 

Quite a well known burger place (twisted root?) was worth a visit. Can’t recall any other specific names (it’s probably 5 years since my last visit). 

Jason Dufner
23 hours ago, Peebo said:

Quite a well known burger place (twisted root?) was worth a visit. Can’t recall any other specific names (it’s probably 5 years since my last visit). 

That’s great mate, much appreciated.

Do you know what public transport is like to and from AT&T stadium?

10 minutes ago, Jason Dufner said:

That’s great mate, much appreciated.

Do you know what public transport is like to and from AT&T stadium?

Don’t know for sure, but I’d guess it’s non-existent. 

Go see the Dallas stars (ice hockey), Dallas zoo isn't bad if you like zoo's, Six flags theme park, sixth floor museum, Deep Ellum for bars and food.

17 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

Go online and check out the DART tram system. I do know they were extending it.

Doesn’t go there. Could take you part of the way (sort of) then need at taxi getting to and from the stadium.

I’d just get a taxi/Uber all the way. I imagine there will be plenty to take you back (or an Uber “rank”). 

Captain Sausage

I lived in Denton for a year and Peebo (and others) have covered it. 

Dallas is basically pretty shit unless you have people to visit. Fort Worth has the rodeo which is an experience. Otherwise it’s basically a sprawling suburban nothingness. 

Diego Hamish

My recommendations:

Cowboys game is a no brainer (if at home)  – they are America’s  Team after all. Especially in Sept, the tailgating is just awesome even the tour is worthwhile. The Texas Rangers are building a new stadium across from their old one but will be too soon to tour it –it will fantastic once finished

You’ll miss the Mavs & Stars as the seasons start in Oct

Obviously, the grassy knoll is a must and if you want to go to a greasy spoon near there, I recommend the record grill. There isn’t a lot in downtown/uptown – McKinney Ave is the go to street uptown, good to see during the day but depending on age id avoid at night – too many young rich spoilt brats.

If you’re there on a Friday night, I highly recommend heading up north to Plano – The Shops at Legacy is amazing, great bars and nightclubs and across from there is brand new Legacy West, again amazing place on a Friday night. There is also a new hotel (The Renaissance) with a rooftop pool and bar – you have to experience that.

Grapevine for a Saturday afternoon would be great, lovely wee main street with shops your missus would love and great little ‘wineries’. But then I’d head out to Sundance Sq in Fort Worth for a bit but then you have to head to The Stockyards and go to the Rodeo – what a place on a Saturday night.

Id avoid even thinking abt going to Austin since you’re only there a week – the drive is brutal, traffic is horrendous. I would suggest Granbury though, only just over 1 hr outside DFW and it’s an amazing little place – basically it’s a square but everyone is so friendly and you’ll love it.

One thing you won’t be short of is places to eat – there is just too many choices. Depending on your tastes I could recommend many places – Adairs saloon has the best burgers-even better than hungry dog which is also awesome. If you like tacos, go to Tacos La Banqueta – doesn’t look much but in a place full of latin food, these tacos are the best.