Celtic statement on their fans' chant at McInnes

Justin Z

Portable Badger
2 hours ago, chester copperpot said:

I would be ****ing embarrassed if that statement came from us.

Nothing surprises me with that lot now. Almost like a member of the green brigade wrote it.

They probably did write it for the spokesperson

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Mikey1874

• Toxteth O'Grady

• Victorian

Following the recent attempt by both Hearts and Hibs to get all fans at the Derby to refrain from abusive behaviour, by having the players from both clubs as talking heads on two differently branded videos, it got me thinking.

Whilst I don't have any comment to make on the effectiveness or otherwise of that campaign, I wonder if the OF would ever consider doing something like that in the lead up to their own derby? 

Could their players be persuaded to do it?

What effect (if any) would it have?

Interested to know what folk think.

16 minutes ago, OldGuard said:

Following the recent attempt by both Hearts and Hibs to get all fans at the Derby to refrain from abusive behaviour, by having the players from both clubs as talking heads on two differently branded videos, it got me thinking.

Whilst I don't have any comment to make on the effectiveness or otherwise of that campaign, I wonder if the OF would ever consider doing something like that in the lead up to their own derby? 

Could their players be persuaded to do it?

What effect (if any) would it have?

Interested to know what folk think.

I don't think it would work.. 

Rangers thrive on the bigotry (orange kits etc).. Their entire songbook is anti Catholic. Their fans don't give a toss and will sing bigoted shite regardless of any appeal. 

Celtic will be offended at the suggestion. The ultimate victim mentality. Their statement is pure playground stuff. "But but but Sir, they were doing it too they should be punished more coz they were louder!"... 

kirkierobroy

It's worth bearing in mind that if one Hearts or Hibs or Motherwell or Thistle or Killie etc etc supporter gets done for chicking a bottle, it seems to be national news.

Repeated, consistent offensive singing glorifying murdering thugs, seat-wrecking, multiple-smoke-bomb-throwing etc etc etc by Tweedledum or Tweedledee gets very gently swept under the carpet once it has happened.

Chucking a bottle is still wrong. Chucking several smoke flares at home supporters as Celtic fans did at Dens earlier in thie season is mental and highly dangerous, but how much have you read about it.

The Old Firm are vile. They' and their media chums are in demial about their vileness.

4 hours ago, merseyjambo said:

The statement is typical of that institution and it’s appalling they are almost trying to  justify it by the ‘singing’ from Aberdeen fans - oooh look at us, we condone what was sung but look at how we were being abused by Aberdeen fans. Let’s be honest, this is a club that actively encourage their fans to call a section of themselves a brigade and dress in a paramilitary style.

They as a club will do zero about it.

The SFA will do zero about it.

i know as a club we are trying to do something about it, however I would love AB to do something to highlight the behaviour of Celtic and Rangers fans. It could be done in such a way that it’s indirect. She could announce that from next season we are cutting the allocation of Celtic, Rangers and Hibs to one section of the Roseburn stand saying that as a club we are trying to encourage families back to football and that one of the reasons they don’t come back is due to the perceived atmosphere at these games. Yes, Hibs would retaliate by cutting our allocation.

Until some sort of stand is taken by clubs to reduce the number of OF fans in their ground, people are going to have to continue to accept and ignore their behaviour. Unfortunately clubs want to suck the Old Firm’s money tit and allow them a platform to spew their crap. Clubs in Scotland need to take a stand and say enough is enough. Ourselves, Hibs and Aberdeen need to take the lead by cutting their allocations. 

The allocations issue will always provoke debate.

Hibs have cut allocations recently and now Killie have announced a cut in sevco’s allocation for their upcoming game.

Granted, the reason’s are different and not, solely, because of OF behaviour.

But it’s a step.

I’m in the cut their allocation camp because I believe we can grow our support further by doing so. We may take a hit financially now and again but we are heading in the right direction in that regard.

The most depressing thing for me, that came out of the AGM was the admission that we had promised, pre-season, a full Roseburn for sevco etc. This was before we knew how we might have performed this season. Crazy !

I hope the club visit this again and come to the right decision this time.

45 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Any pieces on this in media today?

Little or nothing from what I have seen.  Certainly  no banner headlines slating them for their crass statement. If we had come away with something like that the media would have been over us like a rash.

Cairneyhill Jambo
1 hour ago, TheBigO said:

Any pieces on this in media today?

They are likely to escape punishment because the club have met with the Green Brigade.  You couldn't make this shit up.

https://www.thenational.scot/sport/17578246.celtic-set-to-escape-sfa-rap-over-sectarian-chanting-at-semi-final-after-holding-green-brigade-talks/

Celtic set to escape SFA rap over sectarian chanting at semi-final after holding Green Brigade talks

CELTIC are set to escape SFA punishment for the sectarian chants their fans directed at Aberdeen manager Derek McInnes at Hampden on Sunday - after holding a meeting with representatives of ultras group The Green Brigade in the build-up to the William Hill Scottish Cup semi-final.

McInnes was sent off in the second-half of a game the Pittodrie club lost 3-0 for making a gesture towards supporters who had been calling him a “sad Orange b******”.

Afterwards, the former Rangers player admitted he had been wrong to react to the abuse he was subjected to and stressed he would accept whatever punishment he received for his ill-advised action.

However, he also revealed the singing would be included in the match delegate’s report and expressed interest in seeing if the Parkhead club were also disciplined for the conduct of their followers at the cup tie.

But Clare Whyte, the SFA compliance officer, appears unlikely to take any action because Celtic are able to demonstrate they took all “reasonably practicable steps” to prevent any disorder in the stands.

It has emerged the Scottish champions held talks with The Green Brigade in the days leading up to the semi-final to discuss their conduct and use of pyrotechnics at games following a series of flashpoints in high-profile matches.

Smoke canisters and flares have been set off at Celtic games on several occasions this season. There was also a pitch invasion by occupants of the safe-standing section at Parkhead at the Old Firm game last month that resulted in the electronic advertising boards down one side of the pitch being knocked over and a steward suffering an injury.

The meeting with the ultras group - along with other preventative measures - has highlighted to the governing body that the double treble winners take the conduct of their fans seriously and are committed to ensuring a safe and family-friendly environment for spectators.

Celtic released a statement on Monday evening denouncing the sectarian songs that were aired in the semi-final the day before - but also highlighting the behaviour of Aberdeen supporters during the same match.

"Chanting of this nature should have no place in football and we condemn this wholeheartedly," read the statement.

"We hope the authorities also take the same interest in offensive chanting directed at Celtic Football Club and our supporters at yesterday’s (Sunday) match and other games."

McInnes is waiting to discover if he faces further disciplinary action. Compliance officer Clare Whyte will review the referee’s report before deciding to issue a notice of complaint for staff misconduct.

After the game on Sunday, McInnes said: “I’ve been sent-off for being frustrated. And for that I apologise. I’m wrong and I’ll take my punishment. I let it go the first time. I shouldn’t. I should be better than that.

“I’ve heard that song a hundred times aimed at me and I’ve never reacted to it so the frustration maybe from the game has played a part in that. The referee or the fourth official deemed my reaction a red card offence. If it is, it is, and I’ll take my punishment for that.

“It will be interesting to see if everybody gets punished for the incident. It’ll be in the delegates report, which is refreshing as it’s not always in their report, when they hear sectarian singing. It certainly wasn’t in the last cup final.

"But that’s not my fight. It’s for others to condemn.”

Celtic closed the safe-standing section for two games, including a Champions League qualifier against Rosenborg, back in 2017 following incidents at Hearts and Linfield games.

Celtic chief executive Peter Lawwell issued a statement after St Mirren keeper Vaclav Hlkady required treatment after a firework landed near him during a game against Celtic in Paisley earlier this month.

He said: "There have a been a number of incidents across many clubs this season, with a range of items, including pyrotechnics, being thrown on to pitches. We need to do all we can to remove this from our game. The club does not want it, our players do not want it, our manager does not want it and our supporters do not want it."

16 minutes ago, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

They are likely to escape punishment because the club have met with the Green Brigade.  You couldn't make this shit up.

https://www.thenational.scot/sport/17578246.celtic-set-to-escape-sfa-rap-over-sectarian-chanting-at-semi-final-after-holding-green-brigade-talks/

Celtic set to escape SFA rap over sectarian chanting at semi-final after holding Green Brigade talks

CELTIC are set to escape SFA punishment for the sectarian chants their fans directed at Aberdeen manager Derek McInnes at Hampden on Sunday - after holding a meeting with representatives of ultras group The Green Brigade in the build-up to the William Hill Scottish Cup semi-final.

McInnes was sent off in the second-half of a game the Pittodrie club lost 3-0 for making a gesture towards supporters who had been calling him a “sad Orange b******”.

Afterwards, the former Rangers player admitted he had been wrong to react to the abuse he was subjected to and stressed he would accept whatever punishment he received for his ill-advised action.

However, he also revealed the singing would be included in the match delegate’s report and expressed interest in seeing if the Parkhead club were also disciplined for the conduct of their followers at the cup tie.

But Clare Whyte, the SFA compliance officer, appears unlikely to take any action because Celtic are able to demonstrate they took all “reasonably practicable steps” to prevent any disorder in the stands.

It has emerged the Scottish champions held talks with The Green Brigade in the days leading up to the semi-final to discuss their conduct and use of pyrotechnics at games following a series of flashpoints in high-profile matches.

Smoke canisters and flares have been set off at Celtic games on several occasions this season. There was also a pitch invasion by occupants of the safe-standing section at Parkhead at the Old Firm game last month that resulted in the electronic advertising boards down one side of the pitch being knocked over and a steward suffering an injury.

The meeting with the ultras group - along with other preventative measures - has highlighted to the governing body that the double treble winners take the conduct of their fans seriously and are committed to ensuring a safe and family-friendly environment for spectators.

Celtic released a statement on Monday evening denouncing the sectarian songs that were aired in the semi-final the day before - but also highlighting the behaviour of Aberdeen supporters during the same match.

"Chanting of this nature should have no place in football and we condemn this wholeheartedly," read the statement.

"We hope the authorities also take the same interest in offensive chanting directed at Celtic Football Club and our supporters at yesterday’s (Sunday) match and other games."

McInnes is waiting to discover if he faces further disciplinary action. Compliance officer Clare Whyte will review the referee’s report before deciding to issue a notice of complaint for staff misconduct.

After the game on Sunday, McInnes said: “I’ve been sent-off for being frustrated. And for that I apologise. I’m wrong and I’ll take my punishment. I let it go the first time. I shouldn’t. I should be better than that.

“I’ve heard that song a hundred times aimed at me and I’ve never reacted to it so the frustration maybe from the game has played a part in that. The referee or the fourth official deemed my reaction a red card offence. If it is, it is, and I’ll take my punishment for that.

“It will be interesting to see if everybody gets punished for the incident. It’ll be in the delegates report, which is refreshing as it’s not always in their report, when they hear sectarian singing. It certainly wasn’t in the last cup final.

"But that’s not my fight. It’s for others to condemn.”

Celtic closed the safe-standing section for two games, including a Champions League qualifier against Rosenborg, back in 2017 following incidents at Hearts and Linfield games.

Celtic chief executive Peter Lawwell issued a statement after St Mirren keeper Vaclav Hlkady required treatment after a firework landed near him during a game against Celtic in Paisley earlier this month.

He said: "There have a been a number of incidents across many clubs this season, with a range of items, including pyrotechnics, being thrown on to pitches. We need to do all we can to remove this from our game. The club does not want it, our players do not want it, our manager does not want it and our supporters do not want it."

There you have it !

If this is not a reason for clubs, especially ours, to cut allocations, I don’t know what is.

The authorities won’t act, it’s up to the clubs.

Commercial gain v a solution to this.

You decide !

Calebs Grandad
19 hours ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Yip. 

They tried and got called fascists. 

Some folk just get on my tits with the out right lies and/ or arrogance in regards to the facts. 

The facts? Does this include the First Minister and Justice Minister blatantly ignoring any sectarian songs/chants/banners from Celtic supporters at every single match they play? They voice their outrage at events at every other club outwith Celtic. The silence is also deafening regarding either of these pair condemning the abuse committed by officials connected to the club against children even after they are jailed. 

Bazzas right boot
6 minutes ago, Calebs Grandad said:

The facts? Does this include the First Minister and Justice Minister blatantly ignoring any sectarian songs/chants/banners from Celtic supporters at every single match they play? They voice their outrage at events at every other club outwith Celtic. The silence is also deafening regarding either of these pair condemning the abuse committed by officials connected to the club against children even after they are jailed. 

Aye, OK. 

?

Salmond was a big Hearts fan and our chairwomen  and fm get on fine. 

But I'll leave you to it, I hate the songs celtic sing so won't defend them but somehow saying the Scottish government gives celtic preferential treatment over other clubs is so out there I'm gone. 

Edited by Olly Lee's left boot

highlandjambo3
3 hours ago, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

Quote:

“We need to do all we can to remove this from our game. The club does not want it, our players do not want it, our manager does not want it and our supporters do not want it."

eh!!!  So who’s doing it then Lawwell?

joondalupjambo
5 hours ago, Boab said:

The allocations issue will always provoke debate.

Hibs have cut allocations recently and now Killie have announced a cut in sevco’s allocation for their upcoming game.

Granted, the reason’s are different and not, solely, because of OF behaviour.

But it’s a step.

I’m in the cut their allocation camp because I believe we can grow our support further by doing so. We may take a hit financially now and again but we are heading in the right direction in that regard.

The most depressing thing for me, that came out of the AGM was the admission that we had promised, pre-season, a full Roseburn for sevco etc. This was before we knew how we might have performed this season. Crazy !

I hope the club visit this again and come to the right decision this time.

I am a ST holder and very rarely go to any home games now when either of the OF are playing at Tynie.  My seat lies empty and that is my protest, rightly or wrongly.  Until they cut their allocation to at least half, better a quarter I will not be rushing back. The club get my money up front and I chose how to use my ST. I am certainly not the only one doing this.

When Anne made a statement a couple of tears back condemning our own fans but also calling out Celtic, she was ripped apart in the press

6 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

When Anne made a statement a couple of tears back condemning our own fans but also calling out Celtic, she was ripped apart in the press

Indeed.    That is one of the reasons behind her recent action to close part of the ground.      It paves the way for her to react against a repeat performance by Celtic fans.

The last time,   Hearts were accused of speaking out of turn because of perceived inaction against related behaviour by Hearts fans.     Next time... we've already acted.     Budge's next statement against Celtic (or anyone else) is built on solid foundations.

Toxteth O'Grady
18 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Indeed.    That is one of the reasons behind her recent action to close part of the ground.      It paves the way for her to react against a repeat performance by Celtic fans.

The last time,   Hearts were accused of speaking out of turn because of perceived inaction against related behaviour by Hearts fans.     Next time... we've already acted.     Budge's next statement against Celtic (or anyone else) is built on solid foundations.

What's the betting she will still have a dig at Hearts fans?

Just now, Toxteth O'Grady said:

What's the betting she will still have a dig at Hearts fans?

She may well have something to say about Hearts fans.   Maybe not.    Not sure it's about "having a dig" though.     She doesn't go out of her way to criticise without due reason.   

But her next criticism of other fans is now underpinned by getting her own house in order.    

Toxteth O'Grady
7 minutes ago, Victorian said:

She may well have something to say about Hearts fans.   Maybe not.    Not sure it's about "having a dig" though.     She doesn't go out of her way to criticise without due reason.   

But her next criticism of other fans is now underpinned by getting her own house in order.    

On past form she hasn't even been even handed. 

9 minutes ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

On past form she hasn't even been even handed. 

Perhaps not.    Probably not even.

But uneven handedness of the past has never resulted from her deeming Hearts fans as more deserving of criticism.     Any uneven treatment is the result of her belief that the focus has to be on dealing with our club's issues first and foremost.

Does Ann Budge believe Hearts fans behave worse than Celtic or Rangers fans?     Absolutely not.     But her responsibilites include dealing with the conduct of Hearts fans.    She tried tackling the conduct of Celtic fans... we saw how that went.     Dealing with our fans paves the way for another go at them.

If history had been different Queens Park and Dumbarton could have been the Old Firm

But maybe not. No sectarian backing. 

Toxteth O'Grady
7 minutes ago, Victorian said:

But uneven handedness of the past has never resulted from her deeming Hearts fans as more deserving of criticism.     Any uneven treatment is the result of her belief that the focus has to be on dealing with our club's issues first and foremost.

Does Ann Budge believe Hearts fans behave worse than Celtic or Rangers fans?     Absolutely not.     But her responsibilites include dealing with the conduct of Hearts fans.    She tried tackling the conduct of Celtic fans... we saw how that went.     Dealing with our fans paves the way for another go at them.

As you can probably guess I disagree with her strategy of attacking her own regular customers while going fairly easy on occasional visitors. Its her call though 

Just now, Toxteth O'Grady said:

As you can probably guess I disagree with her strategy of attacking her own regular customers while going fairly easy on occasional visitors. Its her call though 

Lots of people share your view.    But I'm very confident that her strategy will hsve been carefully considered.     It is what it is and it's beginning to yield the first green shoots.     Hearts,   Hibs and the likes of Kilmarnock are setting the benchmarks.     Leading the way.     Others are being shown up as a result.

2 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Lots of people share your view.    But I'm very confident that her strategy will hsve been carefully considered.     It is what it is and it's beginning to yield the first green shoots.     Hearts,   Hibs and the likes of Kilmarnock are setting the benchmarks.     Leading the way.     Others are being shown up as a result.

dkmmgcycbwc
38 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Spot on.

Toxteth O'Grady
36 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Only time will tell. 

BangkokHearts
On 16/04/2019 at 20:30, Gizmo said:

Is it? He's basically calling Hearts sectarian by inference. 

Yep I clocked that as well.

He's a bitter, ugly, sexually deviant Hibs junkie is the explanation. 

Wish I was religious so that I could intensively pray that we will have the brasso out on 26th May and follow it up with regular success at their hideous expense.

10 hours ago, BangkokHearts said:

Yep I clocked that as well.

He's a bitter, ugly, sexually deviant Hibs junkie is the explanation. 

I must admit I detest Trainspotting. I found it quite displeasing that Welsh wanted to represent our beautiful city through the glorification of dirty, petty criminal hibs junkies and some misplaced celebration of their squalid "culture". 

22 hours ago, Calebs Grandad said:

You have lost it mate 

Stephane Grappelli
On 15/04/2019 at 23:20, johnthomas said:

Yes first thing I thought about .

The actual official statement at the time is even more damning than your version .

You're right mate.

Just read McInnes has been given a one match ban for gesturing to the greatest whingers in the world who were singing sectarian chants to him. Scottish football is a joke. 

colinmaroon
On ‎18‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 05:31, Kiwidoug said:

Wish I was religious so that I could intensively pray that we will have the brasso out on 26th May and follow it up with regular success at their hideous expense.

Believe me, I'm doing enough for the both of us!