FWJ

Notre Dame is Ablaze (merged threads)

FWJ
8 hours ago, Cade said:

5472.jpg?width=620&quality=85&auto=forma

2112.jpg?width=620&quality=85&auto=forma

4810.jpg?width=620&quality=85&auto=forma

That bottom photo has the feel of the one of St. Paul’s in the Blitz.

Jamboelite
8 hours ago, Cade said:

5472.jpg?width=620&quality=85&auto=forma

2112.jpg?width=620&quality=85&auto=forma

4810.jpg?width=620&quality=85&auto=forma

That looks better than i thought it would based on the grim pictures yesterday.

Romanov Stole My Pension
11 hours ago, BarneyBattles said:

Didn't know you were from Paris. Wait a minute and I’ll nip on to Facebook and change my avatar to a tricolour in sympathy. 

I never said Notre Dame is part of your culture or mine. But anyone that appreciates their own culture would feel some small level of sadness at another country losing their most iconic building. But it sounds like that's not really your thing which is a shame. To call this thread hand wringing... :jj_facepalm:

Stokesy
10 hours ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

Trumps tweet is just incredible.

It isn't as bad as I expected, which shows you how bad I expected it to be.

Sexton Hardcastle
28 minutes ago, Stokesy said:

It isn't as bad as I expected, which shows you how bad I expected it to be.

But now it’s got all his mental fans dreaming up conspiracy theories and blaming the fire department. Actually insane the mindset of these goons.

People even blaming the Muslims in France. 

AlimOzturk
Posted (edited)

Already has over 300 million in donations from French billionaires for its restoration. 

Will surely be insured as well and the church is absolutely minted. Whilst it is sad that history has been lost this will be restored in no time. 

No deaths so far which is a miracle tbh that's the most important part of this story tbh

Edited by AlimOzturk

Cade
10 hours ago, sadj said:

Would these be essentially the prefire ones of the same part. Is that roof stone or mix of stone and wood? 

Same views yes.

The stone vaulting on the ceiling formed an arch supporting the walls.

Wooden trusses were then installed on top of that to form the pointy roof.

This pointy wooden roof was what burned and falling spires were what poked holes in the vaulted stonework ceiling.

The aerial shots from the police drone made it look like the entire cathedral was on fire but it was only the wooden roof burning on top of the stonework and not the real interior of the building.

The 400+ firefighters on scene managed to prevent further damage and rescued a fair few priceless artifacts along the way.

AlphonseCapone
1 hour ago, Romanov Stole My Pension said:

I never said Notre Dame is part of your culture or mine. But anyone that appreciates their own culture would feel some small level of sadness at another country losing their most iconic building. But it sounds like that's not really your thing which is a shame. To call this thread hand wringing... :jj_facepalm:

It's possible to simultaneously think it's gutting to see this happen (me) and find the joke posted funny (me). 

Romanov Stole My Pension
19 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

It's possible to simultaneously think it's gutting to see this happen (me) and find the joke posted funny (me). 

Absolutely! I'm in the same boat, no issue with the joke at all. It was another post saying that the thread is 'hand wringing' because people have said they're disappointed to see one of France's most iconic building go up in flames.  It seemed like a ridiculous description, trying too hard to find fault.

Romanov Stole My Pension
19 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Absolutely! I'm in the same boat, no issue with the joke at all. It was another post saying that the thread is 'hand wringing' because people have said they're disappointed to see one of France's most iconic building go up in flames.  It seemed like a ridiculous description, trying too hard to find fault.

AlphonseCapone
3 minutes ago, Romanov Stole My Pension said:

Aye fair enough :thumbsup:

tokyowalnut
2 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

Already has over 300 million in donations from French billionaires for its restoration. 

Will surely be insured as well and the church is absolutely minted. Whilst it is sad that history has been lost this will be restored in no time. 

No deaths so far which is a miracle tbh that's the most important part of this story tbh

I get that for a historic building it is a tragedy, but Paris is bursting at the seams with homelessness. £300 million, £100 from one person alone, when the Vatican sits on millions is a bit disgusting in my book to have been donated so quickly. 

Been reading Instagram posts where finger pointing, especially at Muslim's has already started. Mainly from Americans I have to say! Not accepting that it is an accident!

redjambo
4 minutes ago, tokyowalnut said:

I get that for a historic building it is a tragedy, but Paris is bursting at the seams with homelessness. £300 million, £100 from one person alone, when the Vatican sits on millions is a bit disgusting in my book to have been donated so quickly. 

Been reading Instagram posts where finger pointing, especially at Muslim's has already started. Mainly from Americans I have to say! Not accepting that it is an accident!

Ah, there's your problem right there. ;)

AlphonseCapone
6 minutes ago, tokyowalnut said:

There's your second problem. 

gjcc
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, tokyowalnut said:

An American news corporations algorithms linking it to 9/11 on their website could explain that. 

Edit: it was YouTube not an American News Corp. apologies. 

Edited by gjcc

Morgan
15 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

There's a former tennis coach-cum-taxi driver-cum serial killer who posts on here who you've just described pretty accurately. 

F4E19CF4-3E5E-4347-8B4E-F2D66B883093.jpeg

sadj
13 hours ago, ri Alban said:

What's this and when? :D

Rob MacLean tweeted Salma Hayek one night. Obvs everyone assumed he meant to google her.

sadj
7 hours ago, Cade said:

Same views yes.

The stone vaulting on the ceiling formed an arch supporting the walls.

Wooden trusses were then installed on top of that to form the pointy roof.

This pointy wooden roof was what burned and falling spires were what poked holes in the vaulted stonework ceiling.

The aerial shots from the police drone made it look like the entire cathedral was on fire but it was only the wooden roof burning on top of the stonework and not the real interior of the building.

The 400+ firefighters on scene managed to prevent further damage and rescued a fair few priceless artifacts along the way.

Thank you

Cade

Untitled.jpg

Geoff the Mince
20 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

There's a former tennis coach-cum-taxi driver-cum serial killer who posts on here who you've just described pretty accurately. 

:jjyay:

Governor Tarkin
4 hours ago, Morgan said:

F4E19CF4-3E5E-4347-8B4E-F2D66B883093.jpeg

Can't pull the wool over your eyes, Morg. It always tickles me that folk think he has that nickname for a totally different reason. 

Good evening, Clarice. 

th.jpeg

Morgan
16 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Can't pull the wool over your eyes, Morg. It always tickles me that folk think he has that nickname for a totally different reason. 

Good evening, Clarice. 

th.jpeg

:rofl:

No flies on me Gov!

Might act the daft laddie, but very far from the truth.

Clarice :biggrin2:

3fingersreid

E69636C1-DE48-41DD-8468-BA302F04D1D2.jpeg

maroonlegions

Of course this will NOT strike any kind of human based empathy or even  strike some kind of a wake up call to the right wing Tories and  those liberals ignoring the sheer brass neck of the  visible virus of  this ages  global grossness of extreme capitalism .

Saying that we are at  an extinction point, political that is, capitalism is now at its extreme , and is being exposed for what it really is, self preservation at any cost.

What matters most  here, buildings or  humans, its that simple, the choice is with you and who you vote for.

Image may contain: text   

Edited by maroonlegions

The Real Maroonblood
2 hours ago, maroonlegions said:

Of course this will NOT strike any kind of human based empathy or even  strike some kind of a wake up call to the right wing Tories and  those liberals ignoring the sheer brass neck of the  visible virus of  this ages  global grossness of extreme capitalism .

Saying that we are at  an extinction point, political that is, capitalism is now at its extreme , and is being exposed for what it really is, self preservation at any cost.

What matters most  here, buildings or  humans, its that simple, the choice is with you and who you vote for.

Image may contain: text   

Disgusting scumbags this Westminster government.