Notre Dame is Ablaze (merged threads)

FWJ

AlphonseCapone
3 minutes ago, Romanov Stole My Pension said:

Absolutely! I'm in the same boat, no issue with the joke at all. It was another post saying that the thread is 'hand wringing' because people have said they're disappointed to see one of France's most iconic building go up in flames.  It seemed like a ridiculous description, trying too hard to find fault.

Aye fair enough :thumbsup:

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sadj

• Cade

• FWJ

• gjcc

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

tokyowalnut
2 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

Already has over 300 million in donations from French billionaires for its restoration. 

Will surely be insured as well and the church is absolutely minted. Whilst it is sad that history has been lost this will be restored in no time. 

No deaths so far which is a miracle tbh that's the most important part of this story tbh

I get that for a historic building it is a tragedy, but Paris is bursting at the seams with homelessness. £300 million, £100 from one person alone, when the Vatican sits on millions is a bit disgusting in my book to have been donated so quickly. 

Been reading Instagram posts where finger pointing, especially at Muslim's has already started. Mainly from Americans I have to say! Not accepting that it is an accident!

4 minutes ago, tokyowalnut said:

I get that for a historic building it is a tragedy, but Paris is bursting at the seams with homelessness. £300 million, £100 from one person alone, when the Vatican sits on millions is a bit disgusting in my book to have been donated so quickly. 

Been reading Instagram posts where finger pointing, especially at Muslim's has already started. Mainly from Americans I have to say! Not accepting that it is an accident!

Ah, there's your problem right there. ;)

AlphonseCapone
6 minutes ago, tokyowalnut said:

There's your second problem. 

12 minutes ago, tokyowalnut said:

An American news corporations algorithms linking it to 9/11 on their website could explain that. 

Edit: it was YouTube not an American News Corp. apologies. 

Edited by gjcc

15 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

There's a former tennis coach-cum-taxi driver-cum serial killer who posts on here who you've just described pretty accurately. 

F4E19CF4-3E5E-4347-8B4E-F2D66B883093.jpeg

13 hours ago, ri Alban said:

What's this and when? :D

Rob MacLean tweeted Salma Hayek one night. Obvs everyone assumed he meant to google her.

7 hours ago, Cade said:

Same views yes.

The stone vaulting on the ceiling formed an arch supporting the walls.

Wooden trusses were then installed on top of that to form the pointy roof.

This pointy wooden roof was what burned and falling spires were what poked holes in the vaulted stonework ceiling.

The aerial shots from the police drone made it look like the entire cathedral was on fire but it was only the wooden roof burning on top of the stonework and not the real interior of the building.

The 400+ firefighters on scene managed to prevent further damage and rescued a fair few priceless artifacts along the way.

Thank you

Geoff the Mince
20 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

There's a former tennis coach-cum-taxi driver-cum serial killer who posts on here who you've just described pretty accurately. 

:jjyay:

Governor Tarkin
4 hours ago, Morgan said:

F4E19CF4-3E5E-4347-8B4E-F2D66B883093.jpeg

Can't pull the wool over your eyes, Morg. It always tickles me that folk think he has that nickname for a totally different reason. 

Good evening, Clarice. 

th.jpeg

16 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Can't pull the wool over your eyes, Morg. It always tickles me that folk think he has that nickname for a totally different reason. 

Good evening, Clarice. 

th.jpeg

:rofl:

No flies on me Gov!

Might act the daft laddie, but very far from the truth.

Clarice :biggrin2:

maroonlegions

Of course this will NOT strike any kind of human based empathy or even  strike some kind of a wake up call to the right wing Tories and  those liberals ignoring the sheer brass neck of the  visible virus of  this ages  global grossness of extreme capitalism .

Saying that we are at  an extinction point, political that is, capitalism is now at its extreme , and is being exposed for what it really is, self preservation at any cost.

What matters most  here, buildings or  humans, its that simple, the choice is with you and who you vote for.

Image may contain: text   

Edited by maroonlegions

The Real Maroonblood
2 hours ago, maroonlegions said:

Of course this will NOT strike any kind of human based empathy or even  strike some kind of a wake up call to the right wing Tories and  those liberals ignoring the sheer brass neck of the  visible virus of  this ages  global grossness of extreme capitalism .

Saying that we are at  an extinction point, political that is, capitalism is now at its extreme , and is being exposed for what it really is, self preservation at any cost.

What matters most  here, buildings or  humans, its that simple, the choice is with you and who you vote for.

Image may contain: text   

Disgusting scumbags this Westminster government.

• 4 weeks later...
Cruyff Turn
46 minutes ago, Cade said:

First proposals for the reconstruction have been released.

Some very interesting and workable.

Some clearly bonkers and never going to happen.

https://www.cnews.fr/france/2019-05-12/reconstruction-de-notre-dame-les-projets-fous-mais-serieux-des-architectes-835157

Seen those and quite frankly they should demo the rest of the building if they are going to put some modern day crappy architecture on it.

It should be re-built and restored to exactly how the original architect intended it to be to a baw hair of a millimetre.

51 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Seen those and quite frankly they should demo the rest of the building if they are going to put some modern day crappy architecture on it.

It should be re-built and restored to exactly how the original architect intended it to be to a baw hair of a millimetre.

Which original architect?

The cathedral has been built, rebuilt and modified over its entire existence.

Cruyff Turn
2 minutes ago, Cade said:

What I mean is that it should be re-built in the way it was meant to be, to keep within the original character of the building and use the same methods of construction used when it was originally designed and built. 

I understand it has been modified through the Centuries but it is a historic building and should remain historically accurate to other monolithic buildings of a similar nature.

It certainly should not have a 21st century glass roof and spire. That would look utterly ridiculous, ruin the aesthetic beauty of the building and undermine it’s historical nature. 

Cruyff Turn
29 minutes ago, Barack said:

Think using forced labour these days is frowned upon, mate.

:lol:

(Edit: I know this in inaccurate. Just a wee jape.)

:laugh: What I mean by that is, take Edinburgh Castle for example as a comparison, an A Listed building of Historical and National Importance. 

You wouldn’t be allowed to replace a door in Edinburgh castle unless it was exactly the same, materials, same joints used, same moulding profile on the beads around the panels, the same iron mongery.... yadda yadda so that it preserves the historical character of the building.

18 minutes ago, Cade said:

The bit that burned down was only put up in the 1860s.

It would have been built in the same character, with the same materials etc.. as it was meant to be though. They weren’t just making it up as it went along. 

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Cade said:

Sounds like Trigger’s broom.

They might think a glass roof looks kinda good in 500 years time.  Can’t just think of the next couple of decades.

The Real Maroonblood
2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Should they no run it past Quasi, first.

If they don’t he will probably take the hump.

7 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

If they don’t he will probably take the hump.

A handsome chap, was he not a fashion Modo.