• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sadj

• Cade

• FWJ

• gjcc

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Seeing scaffolding poles hundreds of feet above the fire glowing red and dripping molten metal into the cathedral just shows how hot the fire is.

1 hour ago, BarneyBattles said:

It’s a building not a person. 99% of buildings built no longer exist. That’s a lot of hand wringing to be done. 

I never knew that 99% of buildings built no longer exist that's an 

Interesting fact 

Cruyff Turn

Fortunately, looking on the bright side, every nook and cranny of that building will have been surveyed by people and with lasers, photographed and documented. So it can be re-built to almost how it was thanks to modern technologies and highly skilled craftspeople. 

It’s a shame that such history has been lost however. 

4 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

A bit of an assumption on my part but given how long we've been building them and how long most of them tend to last I'm probably underestimating the percentage. 

I don't like seeing historic buildings get trashed but I'm not going to greet about it either. Buildings are by products,  it's people that count in my book. 

Books are very flammable 

2 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

A bit of an assumption on my part but given how long we've been building them and how long most of them tend to last I'm probably underestimating the percentage. 

I don't like seeing historic buildings get trashed but I'm not going to greet about it either. Buildings are by products,  it's people that count in my book. 

People do count but the sense of history is amazing. If you have ever been inside the Great Pyramid or swum in the water at Pamukkale (Cleopatra’s holiday home discovered for her by Marc Anthony - i think) then there is an overwhelming sense of the history.

When you see the ruins of the City of Ephesus (The Roman one - not the 47million other ones as they kept being destroyed) or the Coliseum in Rome , even things such as the underground works of bootleggers in Portland or Chicago it brings stories to life. Makes you imagine the things that have happened there in their history or significant points in the worlds history. Notre Dame is 850+ years old and if you imagine how that has symbolised Paris throughout all that time and what has gone on in the shadows of it has an unbelievable cultural significance.

3 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Fortunately, looking on the bright side, every nook and cranny of that building will have been surveyed by people and with lasers, photographed and documented. So it can be re-built to almost how it was thanks to modern technologies and highly skilled craftspeople. 

It’s a shame that such history has been lost however. 

Was thinking about that and how they have rebuilt structures such as the Library of Celsus and until they tell you what bits have been rebuilt you wouldn’t be able to tell. It will no doubt of been documented to the nth degree. The lost works etc inside though will never be replaced

2 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

D4OFOKMWkAEEHsz.jpg

image courtesy of a drone

That is both stunning and though provoking in equal measure

Just now, BarneyBattles said:

Absolutely agree mate. My mum's an archaeologist so you're preaching to the converted. 

That is a job i would love to do if i wasn’t clumsy , impatient and clumsy , did i mention i’m clumsy.....

12 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

D4OFOKMWkAEEHsz.jpg

image courtesy of a drone

That is a devastating image....i used to visit Paris at least twice a year, my favourite city and always went to Notre Dame...free entry lol...this is such a horrible sight , pray they can save the towers and rebuild.

Edited by GYL

Notre Dame will be rebuilt.  It will almost certainly take decades but, one day, it will be restored.

Cologne Cathedral was badly damaged during WWII, but has been restored.  The palaces in Leningrad were flattened during WWII, but have been restored to their former magnificence.

It will take lots of time and lots of money, but it will be back.

1 minute ago, Maple Leaf said:

Notre Dame will be rebuilt.  It will almost certainly take decades but, one day, it will be restored.

Cologne Cathedral was badly damaged during WWII, but has been restored.  The palaces in Leningrad were flattened during WWII, but have been restored to their former magnificence.

It will take lots of time and lots of money, but it will be back.

Are you suggesting you know where the Amber room is? 

Edit: Just read they think it is in caves under the Ore Mountains in Eastern Germany close to the Czech border. Would fit with many theories on nazi treasure ??

Edited by sadj

6 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

I took a different path professionally but I envy her. She's a lecturer at Edinburgh uni but still doing field work too. She sees her 60 hour week as I would playing for Hearts for 60 hours a week. She loves it. I've always loved history too. 

Where does she focus her field work studies? Anything we would of heard of?

6 minutes ago, sadj said:

Are you suggesting you know where the Amber room is? 

Edit: Just read they think it is in caves under the Ore Mountains in Eastern Germany close to the Czech border. Would fit with many theories on nazi treasure ??

The reconstructed one is very impressive.

French state owns all the cathedrals in France and the President is an honorary Canon of the Basilica in the Vatican.

They'll pay whatever it takes to rebuild the place.

Governor Tarkin
8 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

working out, sex, death etc. The freezer is always rammed with boxes of died folk! 

There's a former tennis coach-cum-taxi driver-cum serial killer who posts on here who you've just described pretty accurately. 

15 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

The reconstructed one is very impressive.

Haven’t visited it would love to. The Nazi treasures etc are fascinating. There is a Cities of the Underworld episode that tries to investigate the underground worlds in Czech that the Nazi’s used then blocked off. The original Amber Room they reckon was worth about £250million. For one room ???

Governor Tarkin
1 minute ago, BarneyBattles said:

he didn't club seals in the Arctic did he? 

Nope. Different serial killer. 

2 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Nope. Different serial killer. 

Wilhuff Sr? Though not sure he drove a taxi

4 minutes ago, Cade said:

5472.jpg?width=620&quality=85&auto=forma

2112.jpg?width=620&quality=85&auto=forma

4810.jpg?width=620&quality=85&auto=forma

Would these be essentially the prefire ones of the same part. Is that roof stone or mix of stone and wood? 

EE9D30B7-E9D4-4545-A86E-16734A426B51.jpeg

55A56F88-BB5D-415A-BA89-BEDF715999C7.jpeg

1 hour ago, Cade said:

:wow:

So sad to see that. Last time I was in Paris we saw a wedding outside the cathedral and then walked up toward the pont neuf and views of sacre couer and montmarte.  My favourite memory of Paris. 

J.T.F.Robertson
3 hours ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

Trumps tweet is just incredible.

Is there nothing this moronic, self-serving, narcissistic, know-it-all won't shut his cake-hole about. (reeetorikul)

4 hours ago, Cade said:

French state owns all the cathedrals in France and the President is an honorary Canon of the Basilica in the Vatican.

They'll pay whatever it takes to rebuild the place.

François Pinault has donated €100m to the fund.

41 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

François Pinault has donated €100m to the fund.

Superb , hopefully he offered to double it if the French intelligence agency take out Rob MacLean so he can’t sleaze over his wife

Just now, sadj said:

Superb , hopefully he offered to double it if the French intelligence agency take out Rob MacLean so he can’t sleaze over his wife

What's this and when? :D

1 hour ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

I wonder how many peodo priests worked in there over the years. 

:jj_facepalm:

The Real Maroonblood
2 hours ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

I wonder how many peodo priests worked in there over the years. 

:naughty:

Romanov Stole My Pension
11 hours ago, BarneyBattles said:

Didn't know you were from Paris. Wait a minute and I’ll nip on to Facebook and change my avatar to a tricolour in sympathy. 

I never said Notre Dame is part of your culture or mine. But anyone that appreciates their own culture would feel some small level of sadness at another country losing their most iconic building. But it sounds like that's not really your thing which is a shame. To call this thread hand wringing... :jj_facepalm:

Bindy Badgy
10 hours ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

Trumps tweet is just incredible.

It isn't as bad as I expected, which shows you how bad I expected it to be.

Sexton Hardcastle
28 minutes ago, Stokesy said:

It isn't as bad as I expected, which shows you how bad I expected it to be.

But now it’s got all his mental fans dreaming up conspiracy theories and blaming the fire department. Actually insane the mindset of these goons.

People even blaming the Muslims in France. 

Already has over 300 million in donations from French billionaires for its restoration. 

Will surely be insured as well and the church is absolutely minted. Whilst it is sad that history has been lost this will be restored in no time. 

No deaths so far which is a miracle tbh that's the most important part of this story tbh

Edited by AlimOzturk

10 hours ago, sadj said:

Would these be essentially the prefire ones of the same part. Is that roof stone or mix of stone and wood? 

Same views yes.

The stone vaulting on the ceiling formed an arch supporting the walls.

Wooden trusses were then installed on top of that to form the pointy roof.

This pointy wooden roof was what burned and falling spires were what poked holes in the vaulted stonework ceiling.

The aerial shots from the police drone made it look like the entire cathedral was on fire but it was only the wooden roof burning on top of the stonework and not the real interior of the building.

The 400+ firefighters on scene managed to prevent further damage and rescued a fair few priceless artifacts along the way.

AlphonseCapone
1 hour ago, Romanov Stole My Pension said:

I never said Notre Dame is part of your culture or mine. But anyone that appreciates their own culture would feel some small level of sadness at another country losing their most iconic building. But it sounds like that's not really your thing which is a shame. To call this thread hand wringing... :jj_facepalm:

It's possible to simultaneously think it's gutting to see this happen (me) and find the joke posted funny (me). 

Romanov Stole My Pension
19 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

It's possible to simultaneously think it's gutting to see this happen (me) and find the joke posted funny (me). 

Absolutely! I'm in the same boat, no issue with the joke at all. It was another post saying that the thread is 'hand wringing' because people have said they're disappointed to see one of France's most iconic building go up in flames.  It seemed like a ridiculous description, trying too hard to find fault.

Romanov Stole My Pension
19 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Absolutely! I'm in the same boat, no issue with the joke at all. It was another post saying that the thread is 'hand wringing' because people have said they're disappointed to see one of France's most iconic building go up in flames.  It seemed like a ridiculous description, trying too hard to find fault.