Christophe Berra best at aerial duels in Europe

Thaw

The best at aerial duels in Europe if you discount the best at aerial duels in Europe...

But, yes, he's good in the air and I love him as a player 

The really frustrating thing is he wins pretty much everything in the air from opposition corners and, because we have EVERYONE back the ball just goes to the opposition. Does my nut in

Howdy Doody Jambo

Is it because the ball is always punted / hoofed at our defence that Berra has a high percentage 

1 minute ago, Jamhammer said:

The really frustrating thing is he wins pretty much everything in the air from opposition corners and, because we have EVERYONE back the ball just goes to the opposition. Does my nut in

On Saturday ICT showed up what happens when you don't fill your box with your own players at corners. 

When was the last time we conceded from corner (with everyone back)?

16 minutes ago, Taffin said:

The best at aerial duels in Europe if you discount the best at aerial duels in Europe...

The stats show he is the best in Europe, higher percentage won than anyone else in Europe in all leagues.

Just now, XB52 said:

The stats show he is the best in Europe, higher percentage won than anyone else in Europe in all leagues.

Also with a far higher number of aerial duels than pretty much anyone on the list

4 minutes ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

As far as pointless stats go, that’s up there.

??  His main job is to stop attacks and he is the best in Europe at stopping them so not really pointless is it 

Hungry hippo
17 minutes ago, SUTOL said:

On Saturday ICT showed up what happens when you don't fill your box with your own players at corners. 

Totally agree with this. There are masses of stats backing why defensive teams pack the box.

The risks of the second attack are outweighed by the big reduction in goals directly from the initial corner.

On the subject of Berra, he is amazing in the air. We were so weak in that area until he signed.

Edited by Hungry hippo

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Lost the first 2 on Saturday to that lanky streak of pish. Soon back in the pocket though 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
17 minutes ago, SUTOL said:

Aberdeen 2 weeks ago. Cosgrove owned Clare rebound netted. St Mirren Clare OG. 

Sean is welcome to stay forward 

in the commentary for the semi one of them was saying at every ICT corner for them to avoid playing it in the middle of the 6 yard box as berra was there. Then after the corners came in they would say that is what happens as berra headed it clear

46 minutes ago, Taffin said:

No, his stats apparently are the best. 

Finlay James

He'll get a shed load more in a few weeks when we play Hibernian rugby club.  Surprised they dont claim to be the first club to invent the up and under.

52 minutes ago, Hearts_fan said:

No, his stats apparently are the best. 

I agree, his stats are the best, but that doesn't equate to him being the best. Unless your also willing to accept that luuk de Jong is a better goalscorer than Ronaldo too ??

Anyway it's a feel good thread and I love the big man so I won't piss on the chips anymore. Gaun yersel Christophe.

2 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

Lost the first 2 on Saturday to that lanky streak of pish. Soon back in the pocket though 

I thought Souttar dominated the ICT striker on Saturday. Flattened him to win a header at one point - not bad for someone who was told they weren’t physical enough

to be a CB.. 

Sexton Hardcastle
2 hours ago, XB52 said:

??  His main job is to stop attacks and he is the best in Europe at stopping them so not really pointless is it 

Analytics are becoming silly. Guys making careers out of ticking a box every time someone does a long ball or heads a ball.

All pretty irrelevant.

Berra, Souttar, Smith and Naismith at their best and we win the Cup in a canter.  2-0 half time lead, 3rd on the hour just to sicken them and an Uche special on full time just to rub it in.  MoM, Captain Berra.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
59 minutes ago, King prawn said:

I thought Souttar dominated the ICT striker on Saturday. Flattened him to win a header at one point - not bad for someone who was told they weren’t physical enough

to be a CB.. 

Totally agree. Souttar just seems to get better all of the time. Probably our best player this season 

3 hours ago, TheStig said:

He would head a 22 bus if it came his way!

a mere single-decker? He'd take on a 44 and win...

4 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

a mere single-decker? He'd take on a 44 and win...

22 has been double deck for a few years now. The single decks couldn't keep up with the abuse berra was dishing out to them.

1 hour ago, been here before said:

Competing for a header is now an "aerial dual"?

I think of that as an old-fashioned term; I'm 36 now but it was standard when I first got into football. (I originally saw this stat on a French twitter account which referred to "duels aeriens".)

Edited by Thaw

4 hours ago, SUTOL said:

The Clare OG (Too many folk in the box) Motherwell scored pretty much from a corner.

Genuinely not trying to dampen this but it is a pointless stat. We still score too few and concede too many with Berra in the team. This is not to say I don't want him in the team because I do but in all honesty who cares.

i wish jj was my dad
9 hours ago, chester copperpot said:

Just want to put this out there. I think he's been brilliant these past few games. 

Agree. 

His drop in form.was magnified because we have taken him for granted I think. Even when he is toiling he is still the best out and out defender in the country.

EasternRossco
9 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

Genuinely not trying to dampen this but it is a pointless stat. We still score too few and concede too many with Berra in the team. This is not to say I don't want him in the team because I do but in all honesty who cares.

Jesus, something we agree on at last! ?

The player who has given Berra the most trouble  the last 2 years in aerial battles  is Curtis main.

might be why we are looking at him 

15 hours ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

As far as pointless stats go, that’s up there.

No its not, he has already headed it out of here

10 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

Genuinely tries not to dampen this... Proceeds to dampen it 

Can you change your name to Eeyore

16 hours ago, Old Castle Rock said:

Is it because the ball is always punted / hoofed at our defence that Berra has a high percentage 

No, it can't be that. We are the hoofers. If our opponents, no matter who, have done their homework, they will always try to get the ball down and play football, because, as the people who know about football can explain, we cannot compete against flair.