European Elections - How will you vote?

Toggie88

European Elections  

177 members have voted

1. 1. Who will you be voting for in the European elections?

• The Brexit Party
    • Conservative
    • Change UK
    • Greens
    • Labour
    • Liberal Democrats
    • SNP
    • UKIP
    • St Johnstone

5 minutes ago, Trapper John McIntyre said:

Built one bridge while dividing a country completely.

As for the SNP's other 'achievements', you forgot to add fecking up the education system, the health service, the police, having the  lowest growth in the UK, horrendous GERS figures and continuing to rely on the Barnet formula from the awful English to pay for all the wonderful freebies we get like prescriptions .

Anything else to add?

Aye, you don't half talk a lot of shite.

Votes for Brexit but votes against Scotland doing the same.  How's that Tory mob doing for the country, backed by the UDA and unopposed by Labour.

Edited by ri Alban

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• Harry Potter

• Trapper John McIntyre

• redjambo

The Mighty Thor

As always I'll vote for the party that best serves the interests of Scotland and her people, all of her people, even the ones that weren't born here, you know the ones having to fill in papers to be allowed to stay here, despite paying into the Scottish economy and adding to the fabric of Scottish society. Yeah that'll be the horrible divisive, flag waving, single policy SNP. 

12 minutes ago, Trapper John McIntyre said:

PS. Any news on the currency question yet?

Yes, we'll keep the Scottish pound. And you better check your growth figures.

Oh and as for Barnett, that'll be the UK government overspending on Scotland's behalf on things that Scotland don't want or need. War, WMD, HS2,3 Heathrow, Brexit, bedroom tax, Wm and the English royal family. I'm sure our oil fund will kick in soon, oh wait, it's rebuilt London.

What else have you got, Sir John of the Scotsman.

Anyway, I hope your brexit dreams are crushed when Scotland rejoins post independence 2021.

Edited by ri Alban

2 hours ago, Trapper John McIntyre said:

Built one bridge while dividing a country completely.

As for the SNP's other 'achievements', you forgot to add fecking up the education system, the health service, the police, having the  lowest growth in the UK, horrendous GERS figures and continuing to rely on the Barnet formula from the awful English to pay for all the wonderful freebies we get like prescriptions .

Anything else to add?

Aye, all they've done in 12 years is build one bridge.. Have a word. 

'Fecking up the education system' - How have they done this? By removing tuition fees? By building or refurbishing over 750 schools? By extending free childcare? 

Health Service - Free prescriptions? Personal care for the elderly? Baby boxes? Reduction in waiting times? 

Lowest growth in the UK - this simply isn't true. In Q4 of 2018 Scottish growth outpaced that of the UK as a whole https://www2.gov.scot/Resource/0054/00546816.pdf. For 2018 as a whole, growth in Scotland was the exact same as the whole UK. 

While there might be a financial quarter where the UK as a whole grew more than Scotland, I highly highly doubt we're the lowest growth in the whole of the UK. 

The Police - crime at record lows and more Police on the beat? 

Barnett Formula - The SNP were campaigning for years for the Barnett formula to be scrapped and still want it scrapped! It's the consistent failure by successive UK Governments to reform how finances work in the UK. 

Now, I'm not going to say that everything in Scotland is perfect. It obviously isn't. However, I think that's the SNP's point - they want to be able to improve things but it's difficult with one hand tied behind your back.

You moan about fiscal responsibility, but main economic levers still remain controlled by Westminster. 

You say Scots are subsidised by the English, but don't think we should end that by allowing full financial powers to controlled by the Scottish Parliament. 

Pick a lane. 

Edited by Toggie88

Harry Potter
30 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

:pleasing:poll results

The normal turnout for these elections are round about the 30% mark, be lucky if its 20% for this one.

More money down the toilet paying for this .

4 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

The normal turnout for these elections are round about the 30% mark, be lucky if its 20% for this one.

More money down the toilet paying for this .

Na I reckon all the leavers will vote Ukip or BNP or whatever the farage party is called, Hazza.

AlphonseCapone
5 hours ago, Toggie88 said:

'Fecking up the education system' - How have they done this? By removing tuition fees? By building or refurbishing over 750 schools? By extending free childcare? 

Health Service - Free prescriptions? Personal care for the elderly? Baby boxes? Reduction in waiting times? 

Lowest growth in the UK - this simply isn't true. In Q4 of 2018 Scottish growth outpaced that of the UK as a whole https://www2.gov.scot/Resource/0054/00546816.pdf. For 2018 as a whole, growth in Scotland was the exact same as the whole UK. 

While there might be a financial quarter where the UK as a whole grew more than Scotland, I highly highly doubt we're the lowest growth in the whole of the UK. 

Barnett Formula - The SNP were campaigning for years for the Barnett formula to be scrapped and still want it scrapped! It's the consistent failure by successive UK Governments to reform how finances work in the UK. 

Now, I'm not going to say that everything in Scotland is perfect. It obviously isn't. However, I think that's the SNP's point - they want to be able to improve things but it's difficult with one hand tied behind your back.

You moan about fiscal responsibility, but main economic levers still remain controlled by Westminster. 

You say Scots are subsidised by the English, but don't think we should end that by allowing full financial powers to controlled by the Scottish Parliament. 

Pick a lane. 

Extended to all ages since April 2019. 

2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Na I reckon all the leavers will vote Ukip or BNP or whatever the farage party is called, Hazza.

Leads in a YouGov poll apparently 

On 15/04/2019 at 13:09, NANOJAMBO said:

Living in England (in a rabid Tory area) I'll vote LibDem if the Greens aren't standing in my locality. Labour can die as far as I'm concerned.  

I stay in a Lib Dem area but last election I voted Green Party. The seat is up for election again but I will proyally vote Lib Dem as Wera Hobhouse is a bloody good MP. She's the one who got up skirting (taking pics up ladies skirts)  made illegal.

I think people are confusing this with a general election. MEPs are elected on regional lists, Scotland is one constituency. Westminster constituencies don't matter and there is no 'Tory/Lib Dem/Labour/SNP areas'.

Tactical voting shouldn't be a thing, as the only tactic is to vote for the party you want to get elected. 

Trapper John McIntyre
4 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Including the 300k plus SNP supporters who voted to leave the EU?

Trapper John McIntyre
8 hours ago, Toggie88 said:

Pick a lane. 

How will Scotland replace the Barnet formula money then? Selling more whisky and shortbread?

Answers along with the currency question, please.

Nothing you have listed, prescriptions, health care for the elderly etc (what about the shocking state of mental care in Scotland)  would exist without the subsidy of the English taxpayer. 

All these 'enlightened policies' are paid for in the main by a far too tolerant England. They'll disappear quicker than rats up a pipe  if your dream is achieved and find out they can no longer be afforded. 

Jambo-Jimbo
4 hours ago, ri Alban said:

You could well be right, as a poll commissioned by the People's Vote campaign for a second referendum has revealed the following.

Brexit Party (Farage) = 27%

Labour = 22%

Tories = 15%

Greens = 10%

Lib Dems = 9%

Ukip = 7%

Change UK = 6%

SNP/Plaid Cymru = 4%

https://news.sky.com/story/nigel-farages-brexit-party-could-win-european-elections-poll-11696217

How will Scotland replace the Barnet formula money then? Selling more whisky and shortbread?

Answers along with the currency question, please.

Nothing you have listed, prescriptions, health care for the elderly etc (what about the shocking state of mental care in Scotland)  would exist without the subsidy of the English taxpayer. 

All these 'enlightened policies' are paid for in the main by a far too tolerant England. They'll disappear quicker than rats up a pipe  if your dream is achieved and find out they can no longer be afforded. 

Give it 30 years or so and safe drinking water will be the most precious and valuable resource on earth (it already is TBH) Something Scotland are utterly blessed with in comparison to England

Loch Ness has twice as much water than both Wales and England alone. We have 31 thousand lochs most of which are unused and we have a very small population in comparison    

Guess who is going to be begging who when the wells run dry in good old England.  They are already having problems in certain areas of England. 

Edited by AlimOzturk

The Mighty Thor
25 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Give it 30 years or so and safe drinking water will be the most precious and valuable resource on earth (it already is TBH) Something Scotland are utterly blessed with in comparison to England

Loch Ness has twice as much water than both Wales and England alone. We have 31 thousand lochs most of which are unused and we have a very small population in comparison    

Guess who is going to be begging who when the wells run dry in good old England.  They are already having problems in certain areas of England. 

It will come down to natural resources in years to come IMO.

Water will be huge, so will energy. Our sparse density of population and relative abundance of resources puts us in a great place. 

Prince Buaben

St Johnstone ...

My faith in politicians is low at the moment so believe Tommy Wright to do a better job.

although I think in honesty I’d vote SNP 

9 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Water will be huge, so will energy. Our sparse density of population and relative abundance of resources puts us in a great place. 

Aye, but, the wind and watter is gonnae run oot.

Trapper John McIntyre
4 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Aye, but, the wind and watter is gonnae run oot.

So you are finally admitting the case for indy is all wind and water.

Just as the majority of people in Scotland thought.

26 minutes ago, Trapper John McIntyre said:

The case for indy, is democracy, plain and simple. If the case for the union was strength in numbers, you would have voted, remain.

Trapper John McIntyre
2 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

The case for indy, is democracy, plain and simple. If the case for the union was strength in numbers, you would have voted, remain.

You haven't got a clue about why or who I vote for the way I do.

Ask the same question to the 300k plus Nats who voted Leave.

4 minutes ago, Trapper John McIntyre said:

You said on here you voted leave. Was that not a big enough clue.

I have more respect for Indy yes voters who voted leave and No voters who voted remain. (I voted remain to help spark the Indyref2) Than utter #£#££s who voted no to Scottish Independence and voted to leave. Well... 

Edited by ri Alban

9 minutes ago, Trapper John McIntyre said:

You like to  dress up like a (insert word) and do sponsored walks in the summer. You love Royalty, you're a Protestant who has never seen the  inside of a Kirk. Or you're a British Nationalist who hates the concept of Scotland.

I don't know Sir John of the Scotsman, you tell me.

They'll be fine, the SNP would have to be elected post independence on a mandate of EU membership. But I think we'll be busy.

Edited by ri Alban

Trapper John McIntyre
1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

You like to  dress up like a (insert word) and do sponsored walks in the summer. You love Royalty, you're a Protestant who has never seen the  inside of a Kirk. Or you're a British Nationalist who hates the concept of Scotland.

I don't know Sir John of the Scotsman, you tell me.

They'll be fine, the SNP would have to be elected post independence on a mandate of EU membership. But I think we'll be busy.

One day you might just be right about something.

But I won't hold my breath.

Trapper John McIntyre
12 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

You said on here you voted leave. Was that not a big enough clue.

I have more respect for Indy yes voters who voted leave and No voters who voted remain. (I voted remain to help spark the Indyref2) Than utter #£#££s who voted no to Scottish Independence and voted to leave. Well... 

Once again, you make it clear you haven't got a clue about anything. Have you ever considered that voting Leave may well have just been a protest vote for some people? Or are you just so acceptable of the establishment? Whether its at Holyrood or Westminster?

Anyway, that's it for now. You run away for the nursery. Careful you're not late.

Edited by Trapper John McIntyre

42 minutes ago, Trapper John McIntyre said:

What's the actual case against indy, John. Not BS. Norway, Ireland, Finland, Australia, NZ and the list goes on are doing fine and only Norway has our resources per head.  

Would you like Scotland to be erased and only GB/UK to be used from now on. Because they tried that 300+ years ago. The EU is the best thing to happen to Scottish Independence hopes.

This my last post on the subject for now. This is an EU thread. I might sign up to the Scotsman and troll the life right oot the Nazis on there.

Bye, Sir John.

Roxy Hearts
43 minutes ago, Trapper John McIntyre said:

I voted leave and a Nat. Still vote SNP. 

Trapper John McIntyre
12 hours ago, Roxy Hearts said:

I voted leave and a Nat. Still vote SNP. 

At least you won one of them.

Roxy Hearts

At least you won one of them.

Democracy British sytle. Barry! I voted leave to expidite independence but I have always known that Scotland has the greatest resources in Europe and that's why Westminster needs us. I'm sure Westminster will look after our needs, after all they begged us to stay. Why? 

Edited by Roxy Hearts

shaun.lawson
On 17/04/2019 at 17:07, The Mighty Thor said:

As it does where I am. Per capita, Uruguay has about 20 times as much water availability as the UK. This should give Uruguay and an independent Scotland a huge bargaining chip...

... Or alternatively, we'll both just be invaded. :laugh: 

shaun.lawson

I see the All Things To All People Party are doing as well as ever, judging by the poll results... 

6 hours ago, Roxy Hearts said:

Democracy British sytle. Barry! I voted leave to expidite independence but I have always known that Scotland has the greatest resources in Europe and that's why Westminster needs us. I'm sure Westminster will look after our needs, after all they begged us to stay. Why? 

Cause they need us to die in wars.

AlphonseCapone
8 hours ago, Roxy Hearts said:

You're wasting your time. As soon as the subsidised by England chat comes out of someone you should just back away. Either trolling or they're an idiot.

Trapper John McIntyre
38 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

You're wasting your time. As soon as the subsidised by England chat comes out of someone you should just back away. Either trolling or they're an idiot.

Scotland subsidised by Englands tax payers - fact

Anyone denying it - idiotic/trolling

Roxy Hearts
7 minutes ago, Trapper John McIntyre said:

Denied. Absolute nonsense. What is UK debt, again? Scotland isn't in debt is it? 

Edited by Roxy Hearts

AlphonseCapone
13 minutes ago, Trapper John McIntyre said:

:sleeping2:

Harry Potter
On 17/04/2019 at 09:09, Ray Gin said:

:pleasing:poll results

Doubt it reflects real life, well known fact theres a lot of SNP supporters on here, 

Roxy Hearts
3 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Doubt it reflects real life, well known fact theres a lot of SNP supporters on here, 

Who else is there to support that puts Scotland first? Seriously? 

5 hours ago, Trapper John McIntyre said:

About time, they've robbed us for 50 years.

5 hours ago, Trapper John McIntyre said:

Scots spend £11000 per head into the English economy, England spend about a grand per head into the Scottish economy. Only the USA spend more than Scotland, Germany a distant 3rd. But hey, you slaver away.

Oh, wait a minute, if England subsidise Scotland, and Yes voters want independence. Oh wa, unionists are taking the piss out their fellow Brits. How despicable!

CavySlaveJambo
On 17/04/2019 at 09:18, Toggie88 said:

In addition the major issues within Education and Health are probably staff training and retention problems. 

The main problem with the health service. Lack of GP's. If people don't want to train as GP's and GP Nurse Practitioners (not sure they have tried the NP route yet though), they need to incentivise the training of GP's which may mean we will give you x, y and z, but you must serve a period of x years in Scotland.  And it would still take time to get the staff needed. Social care has the same problems with staffing, but most of that is 3rd sector organisations doing work for councils either directly or indirectly (self-directed support and direct payments). 

As for education, most teachers are leaving because they have no way of effectively disciplining children, AND, in some cases parents refusing to back up schools, without good reason (and the only thing I would count there is a disability discrimination inc. young carers or other medical needs), when they are trying to discipline a child.  Also teachers are trying to teach children in Mainstream, for whom inclusion will not work, with out problems for the child, and should not have been tried. due to the mass reduction in special school places. 

Harry Potter
18 hours ago, Roxy Hearts said:

Who else is there to support that puts Scotland first? Seriously? 

Putting scotland first, aye ok

21 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Putting scotland first, aye ok

They are Hazza. The other parties are London regional wings. The SNP are the only Scottish Party. You might not agree with their policies, but denial of the point is pretty poor.

Scotland has to act now to save ourselves from this 300+ years of self harm. It's now or never. The economic model for England doesn't work for Scotland, the countries are too far apart in size and political outlook, that the bigger country(more important to them) is suffocating the smaller country. And no, we're not one country.

Brexiters don't want brexit, they want the destruction of the EU. Unionists don't want Scotland to exist either.

Edited by ri Alban

23 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Well known fact. There are lots of SNP supporters in Scotland; a lot more than any other party. Not sure why you find it strange that some of them post on here??

Harry Potter
34 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

They are Hazza. The other parties are London regional wings. The SNP are the only Scottish Party. You might not agree with their policies, but denial of the point is pretty poor.

Scotland has to act now to save ourselves from this 300+ years of self harm. It's now or never. The economic model for England doesn't work for Scotland, the countries are too far apart in size and political outlook, that the bigger country(more important to them) is suffocating the smaller country. And no, we're not one country.

Brexiters don't want brexit, they want the destruction of the EU. Unionists don't want Scotland to exist either.

Whatever.

Harry Potter
1 minute ago, XB52 said:

Well known fact. There are lots of SNP supporters in Scotland; a lot more than any other party. Not sure why you find it strange that some of them post on here??

Where were they 20 years ago, serious question.

1 minute ago, Harry Potter said:

Where were they 20 years ago, serious question.

As more and more people realised that Scotland can/will be independent, and that the two 'major ' parties don't represent them they have moved to the SNP 

41 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

They are Hazza. The other parties are London regional wings. The SNP are the only Scottish Party.

The Scottish Greens might want to have a word with you about that.

Harry Potter
27 minutes ago, XB52 said:

As more and more people realised that Scotland can/will be independent, and that the two 'major ' parties don't represent them they have moved to the SNP 

Losing labour votes on the way, aye great idea.

Enough for me, believe what you want, we did not even know what currency we were getting going independent.

And you want another vote because you lost the 1st one, democracy out the window ,