European Elections - How will you vote?

Toggie88

European Elections  

177 members have voted

1. 1. Who will you be voting for in the European elections?

• The Brexit Party
    • Conservative
    • Change UK
    • Greens
    • Labour
    • Liberal Democrats
    • SNP
    • UKIP
    • St Johnstone

Apologies if this has been done already and I've missed it, but it would be interesting to get the view of JKB ahead of the very likely elections a little over a month away. 

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• Harry Potter

• Trapper John McIntyre

• redjambo

Living in England (in a rabid Tory area) I'll vote LibDem if the Greens aren't standing in my locality. Labour can die as far as I'm concerned.  

Jambo-Jimbo

It'll depend on who is all standing in my area as I can't see all the parties standing here, only once I see who is standing will I then decide whether to vote or not.

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

17 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

It'll depend on who is all standing in my area as I can't see all the parties standing here, only once I see who is standing will I then decide whether to vote or not.

I think you just vote for the party, Scotland being the constituency, sending 6 MEPs back to the parliament.

Total votes are counted.

Party with most votes gets a seat.

then their total is halved and the party with the most votes gets a seat.  The party that wins that then has its votes halved and so on until all seats are taken.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotland_(European_Parliament_constituency)

SNP

Greens

Libdumbs

In that order.

Labour are still sat firmly on the fence with a giant splinter up the erchie trying to decide what to do about Brexit and all the other parties and rabidly Europhobic.

Jambo-Jimbo
33 minutes ago, Boris said:

I think you just vote for the party, Scotland being the constituency, sending 6 MEPs back to the parliament.

Total votes are counted.

Party with most votes gets a seat.

then their total is halved and the party with the most votes gets a seat.  The party that wins that then has its votes halved and so on until all seats are taken.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotland_(European_Parliament_constituency)

? Cheers.

Looking at the maps it seems the whole of the Scottish Borders has always returned the Tories as the largest party since 1999, I can remember the days when the Borders were staunch Liberals during the time of David Steel.

Captain Sausage

I moved from Scotland last year, but would probably have voted SNP for these elections. Given I live in Dominic Raabs constituency, I doubt my LD vote will mean much. This must be just about as staunch Tory area as possible. 

19 minutes ago, Trapper John McIntyre said:

SNPee Drones/cultists to the fore as per JKB usual.

So anyone who says they will vote for a party that you don't like is a "drone" and/or "cultist". Have a word with yourself - that's Neanderthal thinking.

All roads lead to Gorgie

The only way to represent the 62% of Scotland's voting public who chose remain is to vote SNP. 

The Labour party have a leader who is a leaver at heart and the tories brought this whole shambles to the country in the first place.

1 hour ago, Trapper John McIntyre said:

SNPee Drones/cultists to the fore as per JKB usual.

What a saddo you are??

AlphonseCapone
2 hours ago, redjambo said:

So anyone who says they will vote for a party that you don't like is a "drone" and/or "cultist". Have a word with yourself - that's Neanderthal thinking.

It's a misconception that neanderthals were dumb or backwards. You're being harsh on neanderthals here. 

4 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

It's a misconception that neanderthals were dumb or backwards. You're being harsh on neanderthals here. 

Very possibly. Can you suggest a replacement adjective?

AlphonseCapone
10 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Very possibly. Can you suggest a replacement adjective?

Going forward we could call it Trapper thinking? 

3 hours ago, AlphonseCapone said:

A great choice. Our mutual friend will be honoured. :)

I don't think I'll vote, as I don't believe these elections shouldn't be happening. I wouldn't vote in a rUK G.E  either, if independence was delayed.

But after reading Trapper's post, feck it I'll vote SNP.

1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

He didn’t say that or anything like that, though did he. Your the one who who chose to apply ‘neanderthal’ thinking and then pass it off as the posters!!!!

It was a shite comment but at no point did he say or even imply what you have written. That is one bizarre interpretation imho. 

All political parties have their fanatical types, for better or worse, the snp are most certainly not exempt from that. 

No idea who I will vote for and a bit fatigued of the thought of it to be honest. People will argue over binary issues such as leave/remain and yes/no, where I want a focus on economy, health, education etc.

I might vote change uk, in the hope changes something. Though truth be told outside a fizzy mission statement, not sure where they are on any real issues

I predict the tories will get decimated in these elections. The SNP will do well, even by their standard of being the largest party in Scotland. UKIP will be nowhere in real terms but farrage s new party will probably scoop up the anti eu vote. Labour will be so so, with a drop in support but benefiting from the tories getting decimated. 

I will be interested to see turn out for this. 

I didn't say "any party" that he didn't like, I said " a party" that he didn't like, namely the SNP. Merely because the SNP had attracted a great deal more votes than any other party on the poll, and because of his dislike of them, he called those who voted for the SNP "SNPee Drones/cultists". How you can actually argue against the fact he said that is quite amusing. I assume you have misinterpreted what I said or that your own political views are (badly) influencing your judgement. On a personal note, I am not even a supporter of the SNP, but I will be voting for them. We all have our reasons for voting for the party we choose to, and that doesn't make us drones/cultists, it just makes us folk who have decided to vote in a certain way. But I think you knew that.

Before a general election, there's often a web site that compares your views against the manifesto or positions of the various political parties. I've found that quite illuminating in the past, putting me squarely in with the Greens and the SNP although I am a natural Lib-Dem and have more often or not voted Labour. I'm not quite so sure that the site will do the same thing before the European elections, but it might be a useful way for you to find out which party most closely matches your own beliefs on the economy, health, education, etc. In saying that, these issues may not exactly be to the fore in the European poll.

...a bit disco
11 hours ago, JackLadd said:

Tunnel vision on snp remains I see. 

?

AlphonseCapone

Tunnel vision on not voting SNP remains I see. 

Really easy for anyone to fob off other people's voting intentions without providing any substance to back it up. 

13 hours ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Shall we settle at "Trapper-JackLadd" thinking? I don't think we have room for any more names though.

It's quite incredible that folk can dismiss other people's political views so readily. The best activists recognise that other people do have differing views to themselves, accept that it is valid to have those views, and then study them closely to work out exactly why folk have those opinions so that they can try to counter them. Kind of like "Know thine enemy". If you dismiss out of hand other people's views and demonise/mock them, for example as many are doing with Trump supporters, you reduce your chances of being more successful than them or encouraging folk to change their minds.

17 hours ago, Captain Sausage said:

I moved from Scotland last year, but would probably have voted SNP for these elections. Given I live in Dominic Raabs constituency, I doubt my LD vote will mean much. This must be just about as staunch Tory area as possible. 

I feel your pain. Theresa May is my MP.

AlphonseCapone
13 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Shall we settle at "Trapper-JackLadd" thinking? I don't think we have room for any more names though.

It's quite incredible that folk can dismiss other people's political views so readily. The best activists recognise that other people do have differing views to themselves, accept that it is valid to have those views, and then study them closely to work out exactly why folk have those opinions so that they can try to counter them. Kind of like "Know thine enemy". If you dismiss out of hand other people's views and demonise/mock them, for example as many are doing with Trump supporters, you reduce your chances of being more successful than them or encouraging folk to change their minds.

It really is quite incredible.

I think I was like that a couple of years ago tbh. I'd put it down to immaturity in part, and mainly arrogance with ignorance. Arrogance in the assumption that of course my view is right, how do folk not see that? And ignorance in failing to consider the unique circumstances and experiences and sheer individuality of people that lead them to see the world differently. I'd say I've grown up politically in the last couple of years and can recognise that a UKIP voter for example, genuinely believes their politics is what is best for the country, no matter how much I disagree. They aren't simply "racist". 

Incidentally I found myself defending Nigel Farage the other day. It was weird. 

2 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Incidentally I found myself defending Nigel Farage the other day. It was weird. 

;)

AlphonseCapone
1 minute ago, Class of 75 said:

I think I will give it a miss as this is as an election that should not be taking place.

Turnout will be interesting. It's notoriously low for these elections at the best of times. 

AlphonseCapone
1 minute ago, redjambo said:

;)

:laugh:

Don't worry it's like masturbating while choking yourself, you try it once to see what it's like then find out it's too far beyond your comfort zone.... 

2 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Don't worry it's like masturbating while choking yourself, you try it once to see what it's like then find out it's too far beyond your comfort zone.... 

I'll take your word on that. :)

Class of 75
6 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Turnout will be interesting. It's notoriously low for these elections at the best of times. 

Agree

CavySlaveJambo
30 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

And this is probably why people think the EU is not democratic. It is more democratic than the UK Govt. 

I'm voting. 

Also people - if you don't want to vote remember you can spoil the ballot paper, by writing what you like on it, as long as it doesn't hint at voting for anyone (coz then it shall be classed as a vote). 

Captain Sausage
2 hours ago, IronJambo said:

I feel your pain. Theresa May is my MP.

So it’s all your fault then!!!

Here’s one for you...TM or your MIL? Which one is worse?

Edited by Captain Sausage

15 minutes ago, Captain Sausage said:

So it’s all your fault then!!!

Here’s one for you...TM or your MIL? Which one is worse?

It's been a long day...MIL? 

The first general election I experienced here the labour guy I voted for came 2nd with 3,000 votes to her 35,000. 

I voted for Lord Buckethead last time round.

38 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

It's been a long day...MIL? 

The first general election I experienced here the labour guy I voted for came 2nd with 3,000 votes to her 35,000. 

I voted for Lord Buckethead last time round.

I just got what you meant.

I'd much rather have TM over to stay than her.

56 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

At no point has he said people voting snp are cultist. That is you making stuff, he said the snp cultist are out in force (or words to that effect I have no idea how to use the multi quote). That a million miles from saying anyone who votes for snp is cultist At no point did he lump all snp voters or supporters together you chose to do that and that’s is one massive leap.

Ohh and I don’t really have  political leaning. I will vote for any party snp and tories included if I feel they are the best option. So best not to assume to much as it is the mother of all **** ups and all that. 

I have no problem who people vote for it’s their choice and essentially everyone is voting for the option they believe is best not some evil intent as many like to make out.

i agree with the premises that people do far too much stereotyping about why people vote and reasons. It’s not a helpful and pretty dumb to assume you know someone’s thinking, rational

or intent based on a cross in a box.

We’re broadly aligned this I just think you have created a faux argument around something that wasn’t said. That’s all. 

I guess we're just going to have to agree to disagree. I'm fairly sure personally that the original poster's "out in force" was aimed at the voting results to date and the fact that the SNP are so far ahead in this wee poll of ours. The very fact that they used "SNPee" instead of "SNP" indicated their general tack. But hey ho, they generated a bit of debate so all isn't that bad.

Trapper John McIntyre
3 hours ago, redjambo said:

I guess we're just going to have to agree to disagree. I'm fairly sure personally that the original poster's "out in force" was aimed at the voting results to date and the fact that the SNP are so far ahead in this wee poll of ours. The very fact that they used "SNPee" instead of "SNP" indicated their general tack. But hey ho, they generated a bit of debate so all isn't that bad.

So a 'poll' that lists almost overwhelming support for a (one policy) party is an acceptable thing? Should it be right that one party should dominate above all else with nothing to offer other than low common denominator, crass, flag waving nationalism? You know, the type that posters regularly castigate Farage and Johnson and others of that ilk? Or is the SNP/Scottish form of nationalism superior to others? 

Where is the middle ground?

All academic anyway. Thank God, the internet does not reflect the true voting patterns of an electorate.

Roxy Hearts
On 15/04/2019 at 19:44, jonnothejambo said:

I have never voted  SNP in ma puff. 

Yet. 

Cmon Jonno the Force is strong with the SNP. Only party to vote for now these days. 

Roxy Hearts
5 hours ago, Trapper John McIntyre said:

So a 'poll' that lists almost overwhelming support for a (one policy) party is an acceptable thing? Should it be right that one party should dominate above all else with nothing to offer other than low common denominator, crass, flag waving nationalism? You know, the type that posters regularly castigate Farage and Johnson and others of that ilk? Or is the SNP/Scottish form of nationalism superior to others? 

All academic anyway. Thank God, the internet does not reflect the true voting patterns of an electorate.

The one policy I vote for is who best represents Scotland and that's the SNP. Who else is there? 

5 hours ago, Trapper John McIntyre said:

You do yourself no favours with nonsense like this. Say what you like, but the SNP have done plenty things since they've came to power - if in doubt, count the number of bridges across the Forth. 

Bridge of Djoum
16 hours ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Once, aye?

17 hours ago, AlphonseCapone said:

And it was at that moment, Al realised...   he'd fecked up.

:D

Trapper John McIntyre
6 hours ago, Toggie88 said:

You do yourself no favours with nonsense like this. Say what you like, but the SNP have done plenty things since they've came to power - if in doubt, count the number of bridges across the Forth. 

Built one bridge while dividing a country completely.

As for the SNP's other 'achievements', you forgot to add fecking up the education system, the health service, the police, having the  lowest growth in the UK, horrendous GERS figures and continuing to rely on the Barnet formula from the awful English to pay for all the wonderful freebies we get like prescriptions .

Anything else to add?

Trapper John McIntyre

PS. Any news on the currency question yet?

Edited by Trapper John McIntyre