carnockjambo

carnockjambo

I went to watch a game off Football 30 years ago today. Into the spring sunshine in Sheffield to watch a game of Football. 96 people passed away and i will never forget that day.  Justice for the 96.  ♥️

I heard this news in a pub in Haddington.

Not relevant I know, but I can’t believe it was 30 years ago. :sad: 

Jambo in Yorkshire

I was behind the goals at the other end. I was at the semi final the year before with the same teams and it was obvious a lot of mistakes were made 30 years ago.

36 minutes ago, Morgan said:

I heard this news in a pub in Haddington.

Not relevant I know, but I can’t believe it was 30 years ago. :sad: 

What pub?

6 minutes ago, cosanostra said:

What pub?

Don’t know it’s name, sorry.

We were visiting friends who lived in Haddington on the High Street and the pub was opposite their flat.

Geoff the Mince
45 minutes ago, Ferris Bueller said:

Dundee Away I am sure 

R.I.P 

Yes it was Dundee away , there was an announcement on the tannoy that there was an incident .

16 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Don’t know it’s name, sorry.

We were visiting friends who lived in Haddington on the High Street and the pub was opposite their flat.

My dad owns the pub in the middle of high street. He's retired now though.

3 minutes ago, cosanostra said:

My dad owns the pub in the middle of high street. He's retired now though.

All I can remember about the location of their flat is that was near the ‘Edinburgh end’ of the High Street (if you get my drift?) and was two storeys high and (I think) near a bell tower.

We went to a rugby club later in the evening too.  I think!

Shanks said no

Remember the drive back that day from Dens and hearing this. 

Edited by The Frenchman Returns

40 minutes ago, Morgan said:

All I can remember about the location of their flat is that was near the ‘Edinburgh end’ of the High Street (if you get my drift?) and was two storeys high and (I think) near a bell tower.

We went to a rugby club later in the evening too.  I think!

That'll be The Railway. It's now called The Bell, funnily enough. The others at that end of the High Street (Market Street/Court Street) are The Victoria Inn and The Plough Tavern. 

The Old Tolbooth

Hard to believe it's 30 years ago to the day, my dad came home early from work that day and told the family that he was moving out because he'd met someone else, the whole day was a tragedy for us, and then I found out about Hillsborough later on that night, which made things even worse, probably the worst day of my life. 

I mind it being on the TV. Back when it was Grandstand on BBC & World of Sport on ITV. Can’t mind if the game was live or if BBC went live too it

2 hours ago, Ferris Bueller said:

Dundee Away I am sure 

R.I.P 

I wasn't sure but thought as much. Wasn't sure if it was Bradford fire or Hillsborough. Listening to the updates on the radio on the bus coming home. Horrific. Football supporters were treated like animals back then and there's no doubt in my mind that the authorities took far too long to realise what was actually going on because the wrongly assumed it was hooliganism. No-one should go to a football match and not make it home. RIP.

1 hour ago, Strachsuit said:

That'll be The Railway. It's now called The Bell, funnily enough. The others at that end of the High Street (Market Street/Court Street) are The Victoria Inn and The Plough Tavern. 

That rings a bell ( :lol: ).

Thanks, I’m sure it was called The Railway, now that I think about it.

:thumbsup:

1 hour ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

Hard to believe it's 30 years ago to the day, my dad came home early from work that day and told the family that he was moving out because he'd met someone else, the whole day was a tragedy for us, and then I found out about Hillsborough later on that night, which made things even worse, probably the worst day of my life. 

That’s a bad one John.

:sad: 

millerjames398
3 hours ago, Ferris Bueller said:

Dundee Away I am sure 

R.I.P 

Thats right we lost 2 1 as well..

30 years hard to believe, was only 9 when it happened...

Салатные палочки
1 hour ago, Mundaydog said:

I mind it being on the TV. Back when it was Grandstand on BBC & World of Sport on ITV. Can’t mind if the game was live or if BBC went live too it

Definitely wasn't live however Grandstand did cut to a live feed as it was happening. I was at my grans and playing out the back and came in to see adults glued to the telly. 

I was too young to read the newspapers at that time but what was written in the following days about those who were at the game is absolutely sickening. 

Will never forget that day.

To go and watch a game of football and never come home just shouldn’t happen.

Like many, I’ve got some very strong thoughts on the subject, in particular the actions of the police and subsequent cover up by the government but that’s not needed here.

YNWA. JFT96.

Wasn’t at Dens but the following week we were at home to the sheep and as poignant a silence as i’ve been involved in at Tynecastle, with lots of scarves tied to the fences. 

JFT96.

maroonsgotop
12 minutes ago, Boab said:

Wasn’t at Dens but the following week we were at home to the sheep and as poignant a silence as i’ve been involved in at Tynecastle, with lots of scarves tied to the fences. 

JFT96.

remember it well. From memory a 'biker' jambo was first to tie his scarf to the fence and lots of us followed. Remember seeing the ball boys coming back up the tunnel to see what was going on and then running back down to get their scarves.

I also went to Liverpool's first game afterwards at Parkhead where from memory they won 4-0. I went with my brother and we wore our Hearts scarf into the 'Jungle' and held them aloft for "you'll never walk alone". Got a bit of abuse from song young Celtic but the vast majority applauded us and shook our hands. After all it was just about being a football fan that day and remembering those who were killed

Edited by maroonsgotop

4 hours ago, Salad Fingers said:

Definitely wasn't live however Grandstand did cut to a live feed as it was happening. I was at my grans and playing out the back and came in to see adults glued to the telly. 

I was too young to read the newspapers at that time but what was written in the following days about those who were at the game is absolutely sickening. 

Yeah that sounds right, wasn't it an early kick off?

it was my first year with a season ticket and do remember the following week against Aberdeen with scarves on the fencing. Hadn't they already cut the top bit of the fence by that game at Tynecastle

JFT96

Shanks said no
29 minutes ago, Mundaydog said:

Yeah that sounds right, wasn't it an early kick off?

it was my first year with a season ticket and do remember the following week against Aberdeen with scarves on the fencing. Hadn't they already cut the top bit of the fence by that game at Tynecastle

JFT96

My memory is foggy but I thought the Roseburn end was being redeveloped and there was Heras fencing behind the goal. Jambos started tying scarves to it, spontaneous and very moving.

Tommy Brown

It's like the old question, where were you when you heard the news  Kennedy was shot. (or when Diana was had died)

Still playing Saturday amateur football, we went into the Dell Inn and heard it and seen the scenes on TV. At that stage you no idea of how really bad it was to turn out.

Bradford a few weeks later, you actually mock laughed as you could not believe anyone would not get away from it safely.

How quickly it went up and gates being locked, we were later to find out. Really sad days.

18 hours ago, Ferris Bueller said:

Dundee Away I am sure 

R.I.P 

It was indeed, remember getting on Longstone Hearts bus outside Dens and hearing the news.