How do we beat Celtic?

Hampden Demolition

If we score 4  concede none, have brown in someone's back pocket and have a good laugh at them , that should do the trick.

They dont like being laughed at Captain Mainwaring.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BelgeJambo

• Hampden Demolition

• Cruyff Turn

• Jammy T

At Tynecastle we ultra press them and it works well.

On the Hampden pitch it won't work.

Paulo Sergio's sitting and then counter attack worked in 2012 but we were also lucky that day.

Livi's style in their 0-0 recently at Parkhead is likely what we'll try and emulate but Livi are the masters of sitting and frustrating, whereas our defenders make too many mistakes.

We are fortunate that it is a Neil Lennon Celtic and not a Brendan Rodgers Celtic.

4 hours ago, AlphonseCapone said:

If we go for a high press they'll slaughter us unfortunately. This isn't Tynecastle. They have fitness and passing ability over us. They'll play around on the half way line and at the back trying to draw us out and if we play their game they'll exploit the space. 

We need to accept that we'll sit a little deep but the key isn't too deep. We let them pass around the half way but as soon as they come further than that we press hard and fast. They'll have the majority of possession but when we do get it back we need to not waste it, use the big park to knock it around, even at the back. 

Uche will need to have the game of his life holding the ball up and Naismith could be the talent that changes it for us. Set pieces will be huge. 

As a support we'll need to accept this will be a tactical masterclass by Levein if we are to win. We'll need to accept two things we are bad as a support at accepting, knocking the ball about at the back and sitting a litte deeper. 

So sit back and wait to be picked off just like virtually every other time we have played Celtic in Glasgow!

No thanks - if we have to go down let’s go down having a go!!!

2 hours ago, joondalupjambo said:

What tactics did we use in 1956 or did we just have a better team than they did back then ?

History repeating itself would be nice.

We didn't talk about tactics then.  It was simply our 11 guys against their 11 guys.  No substitutions were allowed, for any reason.

We had a wonderful attacking half-back line in McKay, Glidden and Cumming, two fast wingers in Young and Crawford, and the incomparable Conn, Bauld, and Wardhaugh up front. 

All Hearts supporters expected to win that day, and we did. 

15 minutes ago, Glottis said:

Paulo Sergio's sitting and then counter attack worked in 2012 but we were also lucky that day.

Livi's style in their 0-0 recently at Parkhead is likely what we'll try and emulate but Livi are the masters of sitting and frustrating, whereas our defenders make too many mistakes.

We are fortunate that it is a Neil Lennon Celtic and not a Brendan Rodgers Celtic.

Isn't that the truth? If yon Chinese fellae had been on his game they would have pumped us.

If we don’t let them score within the first 10 mins and we don’t have a player sent off, we have a chance. The boys have to believe it - we’ve got over a month to work on that one 

I'm all for going down fighting. Attack Attack Attack from the off. They won't be expecting it. Harass them to death, give their skill players no time on the ball and fight for EVERY loose ball. Keep our heads and discipline and if we sneak the first goal then I expect a rip snorter of a final. WE have a huge part to play too. Sing like we've never sung before. We are in their midden so we have to sing all the louder. I believe we can do it.

1 hour ago, Rudi5kaceldream1ng said:

We need to analyse what has beaten them so far this season on the massive pitch, even in Europe. (Yes I know we don’t have that calibre of player atm) I don’t think we did that badly in the Murrayfield semi final at first...that’s a key game to analyse because it could be a repeat display. Our 4-0 game was on the smaller pitch so don’t think there’s too much value to be had from reviewing it. 

Motherwells game plan in last seasons cup final should deffo be looked at as they actually did quite well.

We definitely need to nullify shots from long range from Forrest and macgregor as they have been doing that in finals or big games for the past 3 seasons now. That’s a case of constant pressing, not letting them out of sight at all costs without giving away free kicks-much easier said than done. 

Sergio played an absolute tactical blinder against Lennons Celtic in the 2012 semi final- the game-plan worked to a tee. Levein has done well against lennons teams in the past so that’s deffo encouraging. 

I know what you are saying but I kind of disagree.

Celtic should have been out of sight in that game by half time. Hit the post and missed a sitter open goal from about 3 yards - they were constantly all over us.

Bringing Beattie on at half time changed the game - I’ll give you that.

But let’s be honest without a player like Rudi in the team we wouldn’t have won.

Our best chance of winning is probably the Neil Lennon factor to be honest.  No way that a team of his will be good as Rodgers had them playing even with the same players.

Edited by Jammy T

If Naismith isn't 100 percent we could maybe unleash him like we did with Beattie in the semi final 2012. That was a masterstroke by Sergio.

Hopefully Levein has a few tricks up that sleeve of his. 

Edited by AlimOzturk

Rudi5kaceldream1ng
36 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

I know what you are saying but I kind of disagree.

Celtic should have been out of sight in that game by half time. Hit the post and missed a sitter open goal from about 3 yards - they were constantly all over us.

Bringing Beattie on at half time changed the game - I’ll give you that.

But let’s be honest without a player like Rudi in the team we wouldn’t have won.

Our best chance of winning is probably the Neil Lennon factor to be honest.  No way that a team of his will be good as Rodgers had them playing even with the same players.

I know what you mean but his game plan did work-soak up all pressure then throw on a wildcard but it did come with an awful lot of luck. We’ll need that if we’re to have any chance here. 

Bazzas right boot

Don't concede early. This is key. Aberdeen were lucky not to be done after two minutes. 

Don't commit silly fouls. 

Pretty basic. 

Even Aberdeen, after a shakey first five minutes held out well until the sending off. 

Get the ball from back to front quickly. Uche and Naismith can cause them problems. 

The midfield have to support well. 

Mulraney could be key on the break and keep teirny occupied as well. 

I'd sit compact in the middle, almost let them put in crosses, defend the cross, defend a  narrower, but not too deep. 

Naismith and Uche to press brown and thier Centre backs. 

If we defend wide, I think we'd be exposed especially once a man is beaten. 

Hit Uche and Mulraney fast and turn thier defence. 

Naismith and Lee to support quickly. 

Hopefully Rogic isn't playing, imo if he's playing we have a big problem. 

Think he's their game changer and never confident v them when he's playing. 

If he's playing, Haring or Djoum needs to be disciplined in their positioning. 

pettigrewsstylist
21 hours ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

Putting the ball in the net once more than them would be my best guess. Joking aside we have to play to our strengths and use Mulraney's pace and Uche's ability to occupy their back line through out. We need to avoid Scott Browns provocation and get the midfield working hard to keep nice and compact when they don't have the ball and then get the ball moving wide quickly when we have it. Set pieces again are our main threat and everyone has to be well drilled and ready to exploit them when they arise, if we get any off the ref that is. Our corner taking by Lee especially is improving and that gives me greater hope. Lastly Berra, Soapy and Smith have to play the game of their lives at the back.

Set peices need to be aggresive and convert them. 2 wingers going at them should keep them off our back line. Mulraney and Morisson have the ability if given the confidence and encouraged to do so. Mulraney looks like a penalty winner to me! Hampden is too wide to let them come onto us all day and wont work. Massive game for Haring.

21 hours ago, Finlay James said:

Luckily, we could have no one better in charge of our team for this one.  Levein knows how to beat Celtic and he has Lennon over a barrel very time we play one of his teams.  

For me, I agree with the OP, high pressure, in their faces with Uche bullying their defense.  Mulraney is key, play him on the right to pin back Tierney and have Clare supporting Ikpeazu up front if Naismith doesn't make it.

Celtic at hampden in a cup final when they are going for the treble treble is quite a prospect but Levein will love the pressure and he'll handle it no bother.  We can win this but we need to believe and the players need to ignore the boos and whingers from our support if we're not ahead within fifteen minutes.

He does do well against them at Tynecastle but his record in Glasgow is utterly shocking so don’t get how you are so positive but I commend you on that 

I just think the only way to beat them is to have a go and make sure we have a bit width , will be difficult but can be done 

Edited by NB GIN
TYpo

I don't think Lee and Haring can play together in this game.  Both so slow.  McGregor or Ntcham or Rogic will be looking forward to playing against them.  As will Forrest against whoever we play at left back.

All roads lead to Gorgie

Djoum I feel will have to move it quicker as he sometimes tries one too many turns in the central areas and Celtic are quicker to get a challenge in with the likes of Brown in there. He got away with it against ICT but was quite close to losing possession once I noticed. He is a key player though and like others has to be in peak form. 

Hopefully we use the next 4 games (not counting game at Parkhead) to get the team used to playing on the front foot from the kick-off.

That's the type of game that suits us, the players, the fans. That is the type of game Celtic struggle with.

Easing our way slowly into the game loses the fans and seems to demoralise the players. We can't afford that in the Final.

2 minutes ago, Gambo said:

Hopefully we use the next 4 games (not counting game at Parkhead) to get the team used to playing on the front foot from the kick-off.

That's the type of game that suits us, the players, the fans. That is the type of game Celtic struggle with.

Easing our way slowly into the game loses the fans and seems to demoralise the players. We can't afford that in the Final.

Yip.

Tempo is still an issue as witnessed in the first half on Saturday. As you say, play at that tempo and we are in trouble.

Defend from the front and not on the 18 yard line, also take the chances when they come. Thats the main problem with this team, theres no real out and out goal threat.

Edited by VALDOS

Bazzas right boot

Folk thinking "having a go" and be on " the front foot is the answer. 

Play our own game. 

Go down fighting.... 

?

If we open up and attack celtic at Hampden we'll be murdered. Taken apart.

Players like Forrest, Christie and Rogic will run riot. 

Folk need to put down the glue. 

If we win it will be like a ke the 2-1 semi. 

Don't concede early. 

Keep it tight. 

I agree on not defending too deep, but I would defend narrower. 

Getting the ball to Uche/ Mulraney quickly and directly with support from Naismith, Lee, Djoum, Clare will be the way we play. 

If we have a go, attack them play our game, press them high we'll get hammered. 

Edited by Olly Lee's left boot

SuperstarSteve
1 minute ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Folk thinking "having a go" and be on " the front foot is the answer. 

Play our own game. 

Go down fighting.... 

?

If we open up and attack celtic at Hampden we'll be murdered. Taken apart.

Players like Forrest, Christie and Rogic will run riot. 

Folk need to put down the glue. 

If we win it will be like a ke the 2-1 semi. 

Don't concede early. 

Keep it tight. 

I agree on not defending too deep, bit I would defend narrower. 

Getting the ball to Uche/ Mulraney quickly and directly with support from Naismith, Lee, Djoum, Clare will be the way we play. 

If we have a go, attack them play our game, press them high we'll get hammered. 

Totally agree. “Hammered” is an understatement if am honest. 

Having a a go really isn’t an option.

We aren’t just up against Celtic, we are up against the SFA and MSM also. 

Two teams playing under different rule book. 

If we get a result it'll be because we've defended for our lives and punished them on the counter via set pieces.

I'll also take anyform of cheating and skullduggery available. 

I'd also line up Peter against Brown.

Peter is cute enough not to get caught up in a war with the cretin.

Sitting deep and keeping it tight could result in us getting murdered too. It’s a tough one. A tactical masterclass and the most fortune in any game we’ve ever had will be required and that’s before the officials even get involved....

Hard to see how we can win this realisticly,  however, it’s a funny old game and you just never know. 

Don't sit deep - break up play the best we can even if it means yellow cards.

Scare them with flurries forward and set pieces and just basically unhinge them.

They will be expecting us to sit deep with the occasional counter but we need to be aggressive from the off.

The fans have a huge part to play in this, so do not allow it to become a morgue.

Rudi5kaceldream1ng
1 hour ago, neonjambo said:

Don't sit deep - break up play the best we can even if it means yellow cards.

Scare them with flurries forward and set pieces and just basically unhinge them.

They will be expecting us to sit deep with the occasional counter but we need to be aggressive from the off.

The fans have a huge part to play in this, so do not allow it to become a morgue.

This, we can’t just follow suit and do what every other already beaten team does, we’ll need to look at what’s unsettled this Celtic team on a big pitch already and try as much as we can to mirror it. I liked what Levein said before about taking a look at the anderlecht Celtic game as it worked for that game. 

pettigrewsstylist
On 16/04/2019 at 13:56, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

Djoum I feel will have to move it quicker as he sometimes tries one too many turns in the central areas and Celtic are quicker to get a challenge in with the likes of Brown in there. He got away with it against ICT but was quite close to losing possession once I noticed. He is a key player though and like others has to be in peak form. 

He will play and he will get bullied IMO. Powderpuff when properly challenged. 

Upset Celtic before to end their 69 game unbeaten run, I am confident we can cause an upset on their treble treble also.

Our successful games previously, we pressed them consistently and never made them feel comfortable whilst on the ball. Its a much tougher task at Hampden based on the size of pitch but if we can stay in the game long enough, force mistakes high and win set pieces then we may have a winner. 

1 hour ago, maroonnicky63 said:

We need to have a good day and them a bad one.

Which IMO is much more likely under Lennon than under Rodgers.

Rodgers - calm and clear thinker.

Lennon - the opposite particularly when under pressure in significant games.

Imagine being the guy that lost the only chance they will ever get to win a treble treble? The pressure on him his huge.

Get in their faces throughout. Close down, chase every ball. Run directly at them. No defender likes a forward running straight at him.

Then we have a decent chance.

2 hours ago, Gorgiewave said:

Get in their faces throughout. Close down, chase every ball. Run directly at them. No defender likes a forward running straight at him.

Then we have a decent chance.

This.

Get fecking intae thim!

FTC!

Pasquale for King
On 15/04/2019 at 22:57, Glottis said:

We tried it at Celtic Park, first Half 3 nil and 2nd half ended 3-1. We simply have to press them when possible, hard to do with Uche up front but sitting back has been proven not to work for us at any point anywhere against them (Tynie/Hampden/Murrayfield/Celtic Park).

Pasquale for King
6 hours ago, Jammy T said:

Which IMO is much more likely under Lennon than under Rodgers.

Rodgers - calm and clear thinker.

Lennon - the opposite particularly when under pressure in significant games.

Imagine being the guy that lost the only chance they will ever get to win a treble treble? The pressure on him his huge.

Levein needs to get inside his head before the game, as do we with some songs directed towards him early doors.