How do we beat Celtic?

Hampden Demolition

Tennant's  6's

Find out what hotel their staying in the night before & slip them a mickey in their morning tea/ coffee.. 

I'd maybe go for 3 CB's as their movement & pace up front is a worry. Can't sit back like Aberdeen, but do we have the players to play a high energy pressing game, And gave the wherewithal to use the ball well when we actually have it

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BelgeJambo

• Hampden Demolition

• Cruyff Turn

• Jammy T

andythejambo
44 minutes ago, Hampden Demolition said:

Im going to guess that Beaton will get the nod.

That could be interesting....Agent Beaton The Bluenose could be out to stop the treble treble?

1. Beaton - No

2. Madden - No

3. Collum - No

4. Dallas - No

5. Clancy - No

6. Walsh - No

7. Robertson - No

who does that leave us with?

Hampden Demolition

Clancy, Collum, Madden and Thomson have all reffed the final I’m decent years so wouldn’t think they would do so again this year. Walsh, Dallas and Robertson haven’t been at the top level for long so this season may have come a bit soon. You never know though.

Sexton Hardcastle

They have to have an off day and we need to play out our skins. Make tackles, not have sloppy passes and take chances. Probably won’t get many.

Get the team right, the set pieces again and get behind the team and we will have a shot.

John Findlay
1 hour ago, BelgeJambo said:

1. Beaton - No

2. Madden - No

3. Collum - No

4. Dallas - No

5. Clancy - No

6. Walsh - No

7. Robertson - No

Their semi final referee. Craig  Thomson

Just now, John Findlay said:

Christ I forgot about him

Our Final Ref :)

Penalty red card and Blackie halfing the Thumb.

been shit since mind

St Mirren shouldn’t have beaten us in the league cup final.

It has been openly stated from their camp that part of the key to that was the analysis that’s austin put together in advance of the game. It was like a Uni dissertation - but one which the players understood.

One thing that needs to happen IMO is that MacPhee goes to every Celtic game between now and the final - even if it means he misses a couple of our games.

Our league game will be interesting also. We’ll never beat them twice in a row so I wonder if a few sacrificial lambs will be put into that game to see what damage they can do - equally Celtic will have won the league so will likely play a weak team also.

We cannot let them have the freedom of Hampden or they will eventually break

us down with the quality they have in their team. As others have said I don’t think we will be able to press them for 90 mins due to the size of the pitch so we need to be smart with the way we do it. This is where I think Naismith is key as he can be the trigger for the press and everyone behind him squeezes and pushes up with him, if they find a spare man or play through it we get ten men behind the ball and don’t let them play through us or get a shot at goal. They have lots of pace so we need to be very wary of getting caught in behind. It’s all about finding the balance between choosing the right time to press and getting ten men behind the ball. 

They are strongest in midfield so we 100% need 5 bodies in there all willing to close down and work their arses off. I think the key to this is that when we get the ball and hopefully are able to keep it or have controlled possession that we get players close to uche to support him. He gave the Celtic centre halves an absolute torrid time in the game at Tynie. He got the better of them on lots of occasions so hopefully we can make it stick up there or even if it’s him winning corners or throw ins to build attacks up that end of the field. What we can’t afford is the ball getting played long in the direction of him and him having zero support and it just coming straight back. We need to keep the ball for longer and have controlled possession or it will be a long afternoon! 

Mulraney is key and has to play. Going forward he is one of the only players we have who when one on one has the pace to go by someone and get a cross in or a shot at goal. With the bigger pitch he has the pace to cause them problems and get us up the park. Defensively as well he will be key, as others have said he will need to double up and stop Forrest as he is probably the main threat where I can see us having problems. 

As much as it pains me to say it, a lot of their play goes through Scott brown and he is good at what he does. As he is often sitting deeper I’d have Naismith (if fit) mainly sitting on him and stopping him play. I’d defo leave haring sitting as a proper defensive centre mid trying to break everything up and protecting the back four. I think he sometimes tries to do to much, I’d let djoum be the one to push on sightlty and haring just concentrating on the defensive side of things. 

It’s a cup final so anything can happen. We need to win our battles, get a bit of luck, every player to be brave on the ball, get a few decisions our way, take our chances in front of goal, Zlamal to make a few saves and who knows. I know we as fans will be right behind the team and do all we can to help the team bring the cup home! 

Cruyff Turn
1 hour ago, BelgeJambo said:

1. Beaton - No

2. Madden - No

3. Collum - No

4. Dallas - No

5. Clancy - No

6. Walsh - No

7. Robertson - No

Steven MacLean

2 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Steven MacLean

Yep

Hard to say, and to be honest, Collum has probably been the best of a bad bunch this season

hmfc_liam06
20 minutes ago, BelgeJambo said:

First of all

i want a convincing win against Sevco

long overdue 

I'll take 5 defeats from 5 as long as we win this cup.

Howdy Doody Jambo
16 minutes ago, 5jambo1 said:

We cannot let them have the freedom of Hampden or they will eventually break

us down with the quality they have in their team. As others have said I don’t think we will be able to press them for 90 mins due to the size of the pitch so we need to be smart with the way we do it. This is where I think Naismith is key as he can be the trigger for the press and everyone behind him squeezes and pushes up with him, if they find a spare man or play through it we get ten men behind the ball and don’t let them play through us or get a shot at goal. They have lots of pace so we need to be very wary of getting caught in behind. It’s all about finding the balance between choosing the right time to press and getting ten men behind the ball. 

They are strongest in midfield so we 100% need 5 bodies in there all willing to close down and work their arses off. I think the key to this is that when we get the ball and hopefully are able to keep it or have controlled possession that we get players close to uche to support him. He gave the Celtic centre halves an absolute torrid time in the game at Tynie. He got the better of them on lots of occasions so hopefully we can make it stick up there or even if it’s him winning corners or throw ins to build attacks up that end of the field. What we can’t afford is the ball getting played long in the direction of him and him having zero support and it just coming straight back. We need to keep the ball for longer and have controlled possession or it will be a long afternoon! 

Mulraney is key and has to play. Going forward he is one of the only players we have who when one on one has the pace to go by someone and get a cross in or a shot at goal. With the bigger pitch he has the pace to cause them problems and get us up the park. Defensively as well he will be key, as others have said he will need to double up and stop Forrest as he is probably the main threat where I can see us having problems. 

As much as it pains me to say it, a lot of their play goes through Scott brown and he is good at what he does. As he is often sitting deeper I’d have Naismith (if fit) mainly sitting on him and stopping him play. I’d defo leave haring sitting as a proper defensive centre mid trying to break everything up and protecting the back four. I think he sometimes tries to do to much, I’d let djoum be the one to push on sightlty and haring just concentrating on the defensive side of things. 

It’s a cup final so anything can happen. We need to win our battles, get a bit of luck, every player to be brave on the ball, get a few decisions our way, take our chances in front of goal, Zlamal to make a few saves and who knows. I know we as fans will be right behind the team and do all we can to help the team bring the cup home! 

Maybe keep Mulraney for the last 30minutes, bring him on when legs get tired and pressure builds on Celtic if it's still level 

Cruyff Turn

Bobby

Souttar        Berra

Smith.            Eduoard            Burns

Sinclair   Djoum       Haring.  Forrest  

McGregor 

Lee

Ntcham    Brown

Naismith                       Mulraney 

Tierney              Uche.               Lustig

Ajær.              Boyata

Bain

heartsfc_fan

One things for sure we need to keep our discipline. Aberdeen completely lost it yesterday.

7 minutes ago, Old Castle Rock said:

Maybe keep Mulraney for the last 30minutes, bring him on when legs get tired and pressure builds on Celtic if it's still level 

I think that’s the big question, if it’s still level. I just think he gives us an option going forward with his pace running at them or even a ball in behind. We all know we have problems in the final third in the terms of creating chances and without him we lose another option.

Still five games before the final so we will need to see who’s on form and what’s working in these games. We may find a system and formation that works, you never know! 

Tynecastlesmychurch

Treat the game as if we were playing at tynecastle and press the life out of them, take our chances when they come, keep our discipline, work as a team etc etc basically we need absolutely everything to go right! 

doctor jambo
21 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Bobby

Souttar        Berra

Smith.            Eduoard            Burns

Sinclair   Djoum       Haring.  Forrest  

McGregor 

Lee

Ntcham    Brown

Naismith                       Mulraney 

Tierney              Uche.               Lustig

Ajær.              Boyata

Bain

That team could win, but Burns will need to be really on it

First and foremost we have to be disciplined, in every respect.  No daft tackles, no giving the ref a decision to make like Brandon did.  We're not going to win with less than 11 men.  

We need to be disciplined defensively as well.  Tracking runners, being smart about when to press, not leaving big gaps to exploit.  We'll concede the ball but need to retain a threat on the counter.

Our set-pieces will need to be as good as we can make them.  Chances will present themselves, but they're not likely to be abundant so delivery has to be good, no daft fouls attacking the ball etc.

We need to score first.  I can't see us coming from behind to win.

And we need them to not play at their best.  If every player on the park plays to their maximum, we'll lose.  

I'm quite optimistic to be honest.  Tactically I think our manager is better than theirs, and the day is coming when they produce an off-day in an important game.  I think this could be it.

Anything can happen on any given day, so we can beat them. We beat them once already this year and they didn't score a goal.

Direct, attacking football and shooting at every opportunity.

When we beat them 4-0 Levein said before the game that he had so many defenders out that he could not set up as he wanted so he would “have a go!”

The rest is history!!

Edited by Thomaso

Nessjambo67

Without a doubt it’s gonna be really difficult given our record against them in any competition. I think we are going to have to find our  best performance of the season by far , keep our discipline un like Aberdeen don’t get caught up in wind up situations with Scott broon we need 11 men on the park . Finally it would be good to get a slice of luck never seems to happen for us . We have nothin to loose let’s stop the treble treble 

We need to be in their faces but keep our discipline. It's also imperative that when we have the ball we don't surrender possession cheaply. 

The last 5 league games are important IMO in terms of building confidence going into the final. If we produce some good results and performances in those games the players are likely to approach the final with more belief. 

5 hours ago, milky_26 said:

Do similar to the league game at the start of the season. Let their CHs have the ball but press the midfield and full backs. This should force them to pump it forward.

?

Brighton Jambo

Chatting to a Celtic season ticket holder today and he was adamant our only chance is press them high and flood forward.  He cited the game at Tynecastle compared to the game at Hampden where they knew they would win after 10 minutes given we sat in.  Same with Aberdeen on Saturday they knew as soon as they saw the set up they knew.  It will be counter intuitive to us on a big pitch and to Levein but we need to push up and press high.

gowestjambo
1 hour ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

When we beat them 4-0 Levein said before the game that he had so many defenders out that he could not set up as he wanted so he would “have a go!”

The rest is history!!

Most of us left Tynecastle that day believing we had found the system we had long waited for......

Unfortunately we returned to type the very next game.

A video of the 4-0 game should be played daily up to the final, to show competing with celtic is possible with the right attitude.

And if we only win 2 or 3 nil, well we can live with that......

AlphonseCapone

If we go for a high press they'll slaughter us unfortunately. This isn't Tynecastle. They have fitness and passing ability over us. They'll play around on the half way line and at the back trying to draw us out and if we play their game they'll exploit the space. 

We need to accept that we'll sit a little deep but the key isn't too deep. We let them pass around the half way but as soon as they come further than that we press hard and fast. They'll have the majority of possession but when we do get it back we need to not waste it, use the big park to knock it around, even at the back. 

Uche will need to have the game of his life holding the ball up and Naismith could be the talent that changes it for us. Set pieces will be huge. 

As a support we'll need to accept this will be a tactical masterclass by Levein if we are to win. We'll need to accept two things we are bad as a support at accepting, knocking the ball about at the back and sitting a litte deeper. 

I'm hoping that the team he puts out the week before at parkhead will be strong enough to dampen their league winners celebrations. Do That & win the cup to win our own treble

Ended their unbeaten run

Try beat them on their own patch.

Win the cup.

An extra..wait for popcorn teeth to burst a vein 

Pasquale for King
8 hours ago, Hampden Demolition said:

Winning the cup will undoubtedly be an uphill task, especially with our record against them in Glasgow. Having said that, we have beaten them at Hampden in the past and need to believe we can do it again. What do you think our game plan should be?

We absolutely cannot sit back and expect to absorb the pressure like we have done previously and like Aberdeen tried to do yesterday. All they need is one chance and then we open ourselves up to get an equaliser, leaving the back door open and suddenly we are two down. In my opinion, our best hope of getting a result is to press them high. While I appreciate it is a wider pitch than at Tynecastle, we have seen their defence panic when put under pressure. We all know that Lennon is tactically flaccid so we need to take advantage of that.

Definitely, we wi need our quickest players to play too especially in wide areas.

3 hours ago, John Findlay said:

That would be unusual. My money is on either Collum or Clancy just to make sure they have an edge.

Keep all players on the pitch and don't always let them dictate the play 

and also some luck if the worse does happen then keep the scoreline down 

John Findlay
1 hour ago, Deevers said:

That would be unusual. My money is on either Collum or Clancy just to make sure they have an edge.

Collum without question

I hate the idea of a Forest getting the ball on the break and creating havoc.  Is it worth man-marking him with someone more pacey and experienced than Burns?

portobellojambo1
9 hours ago, BelgeJambo said:

Two options with Mulraney on current form

1. Run at Lustig and get him red carded (I know, unlikely)

2. Tie down Tierney then lose an attacking option for us as well as them

Tierney might not even last til the cup final, already pulled out of the Scotland squads, but won't hold my breath, little runt

Naismith winding up their centre halves would help too

My biggest concern would be Burns up against Forrest.

Maybe tempted to put Dikamona up against Forrest

I don't know who was playing wide right for them on the day but in his time on loan to Livingston Burns won the MOTM award for his performance at LB versus Celtic.

Yes, Hampden is bigger than Tynecastle but irrespective of the size of the pitch if you constantly hassle the opposition players they will make mistakes whether they want to or not. The one thing we cannot do is sit off them and let them take control of the game and dictate how the midfield operates.

And everyone has to operate to their very best. We still have plenty of time to prepare for this, and the one thing I did notice early in the season was how fresh the players looked. Another couple of days down at Gullane could do the world of good, and help them last the full 90 minutes at Hampden. I wouldn't double up Burns and Mulraney, he (Mulraney) needs to be further up the park with a constant option to run at Lustig. Yes, the final will be a difficult game, but far from impossible to win if we approach it correctly.

Edited by portobellojambo1

5 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Steven MacLean

I’d let him ref as he’s done nothing since October in a Hearts shirt.

Edited by DH1986

Cruyff Turn
Just now, DH1986 said:

I’d let him ref as he’s done nothing since October in a Hearts shirt.

Sounds like a plan. 

16 minutes ago, portobellojambo1 said:

I don't know who was playing wide right for them on the day but in his time on loan to Livingston Burns won the MOTM award for his performance at LB versus Celtic.

Yes, Hampden is bigger than Tynecastle but irrespective of the size of the pitch if you constantly hassle the opposition players they will make mistakes whether they want to or not. The one thing we cannot do is sit off them and let them take control of the game and dictate how the midfield operates.

And everyone has to operate to their very best. We still have plenty of time to prepare for this, and the one thing I did notice early in the season was how fresh the players looked. Another couple of days down at Gullane could do the world of good, and help them last the full 90 minutes at Hampden. I wouldn't double up Burns and Mulraney, he (Mulraney) needs to be further up the park with a constant option to run at Lustig. Yes, the final will be a difficult game, but far from impossible to win if we approach it correctly.

It was Forrest against Burns

joondalupjambo

What tactics did we use in 1956 or did we just have a better team than they did back then ?

History repeating itself would be nice.

gowestjambo
25 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

What tactics did we use in 1956 or did we just have a better team than they did back then ?

History repeating itself would be nice.

Not sure we had tactics back then - I dont think they were invented. Just score more goals than the opposition.

The one they scored was the only goal Hearts conceded in the Scottish Cup campaign.......

joondalupjambo
8 minutes ago, gowestjambo said:

Not sure we had tactics back then - I dont think they were invented. Just score more goals than the opposition.

Sounds like a plan to me?

For some reason I keep getting flash backs in my mind to Patrick beating them 4-1 in the League Cup in 1971. Very good Celtic team versus big underdogs.  Now that would be a nice score line and a similar story.

Edited by joondalupjambo

Rudi5kaceldream1ng

We need to analyse what has beaten them so far this season on the massive pitch, even in Europe. (Yes I know we don’t have that calibre of player atm) I don’t think we did that badly in the Murrayfield semi final at first...that’s a key game to analyse because it could be a repeat display. Our 4-0 game was on the smaller pitch so don’t think there’s too much value to be had from reviewing it. 

Motherwells game plan in last seasons cup final should deffo be looked at as they actually did quite well.

We definitely need to nullify shots from long range from Forrest and macgregor as they have been doing that in finals or big games for the past 3 seasons now. That’s a case of constant pressing, not letting them out of sight at all costs without giving away free kicks-much easier said than done. 

Sergio played an absolute tactical blinder against Lennons Celtic in the 2012 semi final- the game-plan worked to a tee. Levein has done well against lennons teams in the past so that’s deffo encouraging. 

9 hours ago, Victorian said:

With particular difficulty.

Minimise errors.  Retain possession.  Avoid being sucked into red/yellow card offences.  Don't be wasteful with chances.  Attain and retain a foothold in the game.   Easier said than done but what other choice is there?    

As well as the risk of us sitting in, this is my biggest worry. I am 100% sure we'll get a red.

We've beaten them by pressing but only on the tight pitch. We'll have to do that but for longer and with more intensity. Bizarrely considering he came from nowhere and was supposed to be a squad player, Mulraney is emerging as our possible key man! If we don't keep them busy and track the likes of Forrest out wide they can run riot on the bigger pitch. We'll also need big game players so even a 3/4 fit Naismith is worth putting out there for a one-off occasion if he's up for it. Djoum could also be vital.