How do we beat Celtic?

Hampden Demolition

Hampden Demolition

Winning the cup will undoubtedly be an uphill task, especially with our record against them in Glasgow. Having said that, we have beaten them at Hampden in the past and need to believe we can do it again. What do you think our game plan should be?

We absolutely cannot sit back and expect to absorb the pressure like we have done previously and like Aberdeen tried to do yesterday. All they need is one chance and then we open ourselves up to get an equaliser, leaving the back door open and suddenly we are two down. In my opinion, our best hope of getting a result is to press them high. While I appreciate it is a wider pitch than at Tynecastle, we have seen their defence panic when put under pressure. We all know that Lennon is tactically flaccid so we need to take advantage of that.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BelgeJambo

• Hampden Demolition

• Cruyff Turn

• Jammy T

rudi must stay

I think we can absolutely beat them

Naismith would be a huge plus, but I think Uche will make the ball stick up front even if he's not there, excellent on the big pitch

Need to catch them out with the free kicks and corners too which we can

I think Levein has proven he's not bad at nullifying then. But the good thing is we do carry a goal threat 

Absolute Scenes

Looking at Aberdeen, they gave them far too much time on the ball. Hampden is so much bigger than tynie's pitch, so maybe the hard pressing game wouldn't be good...but they are definitely beatable and we have done that already.

Set pieces will be vital to us I think, we seem to be getting better, and it may well be difficult to beat Celtic and score from open play...but again it is possible.

Work on the set pieces

Hampden Demolition

Agree on the set pieces. You just need to look at the game on Saturday to see how effective they are becoming. Credit to MacPhee for his input.

All roads lead to Gorgie

Putting the ball in the net once more than them would be my best guess. Joking aside we have to play to our strengths and use Mulraney's pace and Uche's ability to occupy their back line through out. We need to avoid Scott Browns provocation and get the midfield working hard to keep nice and compact when they don't have the ball and then get the ball moving wide quickly when we have it. Set pieces again are our main threat and everyone has to be well drilled and ready to exploit them when they arise, if we get any off the ref that is. Our corner taking by Lee especially is improving and that gives me greater hope. Lastly Berra, Soapy and Smith have to play the game of their lives at the back.

Finlay James

Luckily, we could have no one better in charge of our team for this one.  Levein knows how to beat Celtic and he has Lennon over a barrel very time we play one of his teams.  

For me, I agree with the OP, high pressure, in their faces with Uche bullying their defense.  Mulraney is key, play him on the right to pin back Tierney and have Clare supporting Ikpeazu up front if Naismith doesn't make it.

Celtic at hampden in a cup final when they are going for the treble treble is quite a prospect but Levein will love the pressure and he'll handle it no bother.  We can win this but we need to believe and the players need to ignore the boos and whingers from our support if we're not ahead within fifteen minutes.

11 minutes ago, Finlay James said:

Luckily, we could have no one better in charge of our team for this one.  Levein knows how to beat Celtic and he has Lennon over a barrel very time we play one of his teams.  

For me, I agree with the OP, high pressure, in their faces with Uche bullying their defense.  Mulraney is key, play him on the right to pin back Tierney and have Clare supporting Ikpeazu up front if Naismith doesn't make it.

Celtic at hampden in a cup final when they are going for the treble treble is quite a prospect but Levein will love the pressure and he'll handle it no bother.  We can win this but we need to believe and the players need to ignore the boos and whingers from our support if we're not ahead within fifteen minutes.

Booing after 15 mins if we’re not ahead ?

:tlj:

Hampden Demolition
2 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

Like ‘98 we’re going to need a few things to go our way both before and during the game.

Whos up for setting off flares and firecrackers outside their team hotel the night before? 

In all seriousness, I remember Zal saying how much of an effect of had on the 2012 team when they were met by floods of Hearts fans on their way to Hampden. Perhaps we could get something organised to greet the team bus before!

Two options with Mulraney on current form

1. Run at Lustig and get him red carded (I know, unlikely)

2. Tie down Tierney then lose an attacking option for us as well as them

Tierney might not even last til the cup final, already pulled out of the Scotland squads, but won't hold my breath, little runt

Naismith winding up their centre halves would help too

My biggest concern would be Burns up against Forrest.

Maybe tempted to put Dikamona up against Forrest

August Landmesser
4 minutes ago, Hampden Demolition said:

Whos up for setting off flares and firecrackers outside their team hotel the night before? 

In all seriousness, I remember Zal saying how much of an effect of had on the 2012 team when they were met by floods of Hearts fans on their way to Hampden. Perhaps we could get something organised to greet the team bus before!

Good way to use up all the smoke bombs and flares before the game too...

Hampden Demolition
5 minutes ago, BelgeJambo said:

Two options with Mulraney on current form

1. Run at Lustig and get him red carded (I know, unlikely)

2. Tie down Tierney then lose an attacking option for us as well as them

Tierney might not even last til the cup final, already pulled out of the Scotland squads, but won't hold my breath, little Irish runt

Naismith winding up their centre halves would help too

My biggest concern would be Burns up against Forrest.

Maybe tempted to put Dikamona up against Forrest

Agreed as Burns has very little pace. Wouldn’t be against moving Mulraney into a wing back role as, while we lost his attacking threat, he coped with Forrest very well in the first game this season. Would be tempted to go with a back 3 as long as Berra is central. That should see us solid enough at the back but may hinder us up top slightly.

Edited by Hampden Demolition

Cruyff Turn

After we play our 2nd string team and boot them up and down Parkhead the week prior...dead legs are the trick. ??

It has to be 4-5-1 with hopefully Naisy back but in midfield. 

We need go out in the first 10-15 minutes and try to get ahead, close them down quickly and aggressively, especially around the edge of the box. Need to double up of Forrest. 

I wouldn’t be looking to press too high, I.e their back line because there’s too much space at Hampden but we can pack our midfield and hit them hard there and maybe try and force them wide and into playing long balls. Ultimately we should be looking to bully them and control what they can and can’t do. 

Those are the things imo we need to do but on the ball we need to play aggressively as well, get the ball wide quickly, get 3-4 guys attacking the crosses. Shot as often as possible around the edge of the box. 

Defending set pieces and ensuring we are successful with our own set pieces will be key. 

We’re not going to outplay or play through them because they are a side of vastly superior footballers. 

It’ll be big Uche chasing lost causes, midfield push up and force them to give away territory through putting the ball out. Then we can get crosses in, work an opportunity. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

2012 Paulo Sergio. Sit back in the first half, steal the space. Second half come out of the tunnel like a raging bull and win the cup.

We need to be very good in possession and brave on the ball. 2012 team were good at that if nothing else.

We need every one to play out their skin.

Remaining disciplined for every second of the game.

Berra and Souttar need to be solid, giving Edouard no room to breathe.

Smith and Burns, especially Burns, will need to have the game of their lives against Forrest and Hayes/Sinclair

Haring will need to have Brown on a short leash and not fall for any of his shite.

Mulraney, Clare, Lee, Djoum, MacLean and,with fortune on our side, Naismith will have to win all of their individual battles while also supporting Uche by getting into dangerous areas. Uche himself will need to be at his battering ram best but also take ANY chance he gets to score. No room for mistakes.

Levein needs to set us up to avoid an early battering. They will come flying out the traps. If we can catch them on the break early and either score or give them enough of a fright that they sit back then we will have a chance.

First to every second ball. Chase every lost cause.

If all of that goes well and we get very lucky we will lift the cup.

Edited by Bauld

Fxxx the SPFL
9 minutes ago, BelgeJambo said:

Harry Cochrane in for the league match to haunt Brown

preferably somebody in to boot Brown

37 minutes ago, Hampden Demolition said:

Everything that we can do that may help is worth trying IMO. 

Jambof3tornado

Need to have no passengers, zlamal to have the game of his life, the referee to treat both teams the same, uche to be on fire, celtic to have an off day and a whole lotta luck.

Can we do it........of course we can but its stacked against us big time!

chester copperpot

I remember Levein said he learned a lot from the way Anderlecht played against them the game before them and we basically copied what they did.

We won 4-0.

When we go down a goal, the team seems to lift itself and find another gear. Why not play like that from the off. I watched the Liverpool match yesterday and their pressing at the beginning of that 2nd half was brilliant, and Chelsea are no mugs,

I don't mind getting beat, I would just rather have a go at them instead of sitting back and them treating it like a training session.

I am pretty confident that Levein is not going to shit the bed like McInnes did yesterday. 

3 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Have a go at them , be in there faces because if we sit off them they'll destroy us  

Spot on. If we do the usual and try and sit back and contain them we will no doubt lose a goal and then have to open up.

One thing I don't like and think we should change against them is this everyone back to defend set pieces because when the ball comes out of the box we have nobody there to try and win the ball or hit them on the break.

I think we should leave at least one man forward and then they have to leave at least one back to cover and it also gives us an out ball.

This will be a game where we can use our bench to the full by asking guys to run themselves into the ground and replace them once they are knackered.

But as you say we have to be in their faces right from the start.

11 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Bribe the match officials 

Unfortunately, we won't be able to match Celtic's budget on that front.

Calebs Grandad

We gave 5 games still to play before the final so hopefully we won’t lose anyone else to injury. Naismith returning would be massive for us but Celtic losing a player or two injury wise would also help. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Celtic didn't exactly cut Aberdeen open yesterday. In fact until Ball got sent off after a bright first 10 mins, they created very little.

We shouldn't get too pessimistic. But its going to be a hard watch at times

Heartsofgold

I can actually see the next Sevco/Celtic game being a bloodbath.  They may go all out to hurt a few of their players so that they miss the final to give us the best chance of ending this treble treble pish.

Berra hoofs the ball to the end of the pitch in hope that Usher or Naisy is there to collect it.

Or get into them from the off. Get in their faces. Attack at every opportunity. Keep it tight at the back. Maybe with the right attitude we just might come home with the cup.

chester copperpot
2 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Berra hoofs the ball to the end of the pitch in hope that Usher or Naisy is there to collect it.

Or get into them from the off. Get in their faces. Attack at every opportunity. Keep it tight at the back. Maybe with the right attitude we just might come home with the cup.

Is that you making some 'confessions' there? 

We need to be as aggressive as we have been in the 2 games at Tynecastle this season. That means playing at a high tempo from the off for as long as possible. If we are still in the game late in the second half adrenaline will hopefully sustain tired legs. 

Couple of important points though. No one should start if they are in any way an injury doubt and it is critical we keep 11 men on the park so we need to be really disciplined - particularly as we will get nothing from whichever crooked/inept clown they get to referee.

Edited by Jodami

1 minute ago, chester copperpot said:

Is that you making some 'confessions' there? 

Nah autocorrect on phone amending my typing after my fat fingers got in way.

Man for man they are better than us all over the pitch, Naismith being the only one thats can match them on ability. I don't know how we'll do it but its certainly not impossible. Lennon might not be as great tactically as Rodgers but one thing is he hates Hearts, after Rangers we are the team they love to skelp the most and Lennon with be right up for it with the aim to embarrass us. Every single one of our players will need to give every last bit of what they have and possibly more.

Hampden Demolition
5 minutes ago, Jodami said:

We need to be as aggressive as we have been in the 2 games at Tynecastle this season. That means playing at a high tempo from the off for as long as possible. If we are still in the game late in the second half adrenaline will hopefully sustain tired legs. 

Couple of important points though. No one should start if they are in any way an injury doubt and it is critical we keep 11 men on the park so we need to be really disciplined - particularly as we will get nothing from whichever crooked/inept clown they get to referee.

Im going to guess that Beaton will get the nod.

1 hour ago, Hampden Demolition said:

I'd say something like this would be a good start from the fans. If the players are shown that we are in it with them it may just inspire another hampden memory for us all

Change our entire formation and tactics and decision making and general attitude to football as a whole.

We'll have to press them high, not give them any time on the ball and be attack minded.

If we don't, we'll get crushed 4-0 or worse.

We would need every little thing to go our way on the day, sneak a goal in the last minute is our best chance. On paper we should lose but they can’t win everything for ever, someone’s gonna beat them so why not us!!

Give them no time on the ball. Give them **** all respect. Get after them.

We all know the ref, regardless of who it is will give us nowt so relying on set pieces wont work for me.. It's a big ask but we can do it.

What I am hoping for is we come out from kick off with a real intent and don’t show Celtic any respect, yesterday Brown was again allowed to dictate the game so I hope Haring or Djoum very early put in a crunching tackle and let him and Celtic know we ain’t just there for a day out. If Naisy is fit that would be a massive boost and his experience would be huge. Even before Aberdeen went down to 10 men they were making it far too easy for Celtic and never got close to them so we need to be high energy and press them all over the park. Everyone needs to win their own individual battles and obviously if we get chances we need to take them.

Do similar to the league game at the start of the season. Let their CHs have the ball but press the midfield and full backs. This should force them to pump it forward.

Don’t think there is one way. We’ll need to defend deep at times - 10 men behind the ball. Defend with everything in front of goal. Don’t let them near the box. I hate Celtic as much as anyone but credit to them, no other team in Europe score as many great goals outside the box.

While at other points press them high to force mistakes - like we did for the penalty on Djoum a couple months ago.

On the ball, we need to be confident. Souttar, Smith, Haring, Djoum, Boz, Clare, Naismith, Lee. We have players who can play. The 1-0 at the start of the season was a great example of that.

Conversely, hoofing the ball to Uche quickly will work. If they commit players forward then Uche against their two CB’s gets me excited. With Naismith, Mulraney and either Clare/Lee getting in support. 

90 minutes is a long time. As long as we don’t concede an early goal, I’m confident. Lee has magic in him. Mulraney’s pace. Set pieces. We have threats. 

Uche and Naismith are the keys to winning this game. Remember, Naismith played 90 minutes against them once, we won. Uche played against then once this season, we won. 

Edited by R1874

Howdy Doody Jambo

All the pressure is on Celtic for the treble treble, put the they will be tired after a long season out there, all there European games will have put many more miles in their legs than our player's where most of our team have had a few months off through injury and we will be fresher come the end of May, it's going to be tougher for them to best us especially if we can take it to extra time when they will be flat out with even more pressure on them

Maybe our name is on the cup 

Edited by Old Castle Rock

StevenNaismith

The key to winning this game lies with the manager I’m afraid. He needs to be brave. If we sit in we'll get beat comfortably. 

Zlamal

Smith

Souttar

Berra

Burns

Haring

Djoum

Naismith

Lee

Mulraney

Uche

With particular difficulty.

Minimise errors.  Retain possession.  Avoid being sucked into red/yellow card offences.  Don't be wasteful with chances.  Attain and retain a foothold in the game.   Easier said than done but what other choice is there?