Where will this rank if we win?

Rick James

I know many will shoot me down for suggesting this could equal 98 or 5-1, but almost 5 years after being minutes from liquidation, would it be one of our finest hours if our boys bring the cup home?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• Boab

• Bazzas right boot

• BOBTHEBRUCE

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Brighton Jambo

For me I think the overall significance will be diluted by how divided out support is over a number of things not least the manager.  Given our  near liquidation, relegation and promotion, to win a cup so soon should be an amazing achievement made sweeter by ending Celtics treble treble.

Sadly I think our fans will find ways to downplay the significance.  Not on the day in the stadium I hasten to add but when analysing the significance.  Ann Budge said she wanted us back challenging for trophies, we are now yet i don’t get a sense people are actually that delighted about it.

CloustonHMFC

Behind 2012 (That is THE ultimate peak for me) but up there with one of my best days as a Jambo. I was too young to properly remember 98’.

glynnlondon
4 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

For me I think the overall significance will be diluted by how divided out support is over a number of things not least the manager.  Given our  near liquidation, relegation and promotion, to win a cup so soon should be an amazing achievement made sweeter by ending Celtics treble treble.

Sadly I think our fans will find ways to downplay the significance.  Not on the day in the stadium I hasten to add but when analysing the significance.  Ann Budge said she wanted us back challenging for trophies, we are now yet i don’t get a sense people are actually that delighted about it.

If we win it will be a stunning victory and totally unexpected.

Our performances have been poor and while we are in the final our route has been relatively easy.

While our route to the final was easy in 98 our performances were of a significantly higher standard.

The semi final win against Celtic was probably the best celebration I have ever been involved in. 

It won't top 5-1 for obvious reasons

It won't top 98 because of the wait

But if we come back from administration, stop the treble-treble and Levein winds up wee Lenny (who may explode in apoplexy) it might be the best result of the lot 

1998 was amazing. 2012 was great (but never really in doubt). 2006 was good.

2019 would probably be the best yet for me, simply because I absolutely hate Celtic. All the late winners they've scored against us, 1986, 1988, their constant cheating, their scummy fans, Scott Brown. We just seem to have suffered most against them than any other team. To burst their treble dreams...well, I'd probably self combust.

i wish jj was my dad

It won't top 98 or 06 but it will be very, very significant. We were boom and bust under Robinson and Romanov. This could genuinely be the start of something

I’m not bothered where it’ll rank, tbh. 

I just want us to win. To get to 9 Scottish Cups would look good on the honours list. Just 1 away from double figures wins in a national comp.  

NaturalOrder74

Can’t be above 98 cos that was the first time I got to see the hearts win the cup, but 2006 100% could be on par with 2012 depending on the score margin we win by 

Hampden Demolition

On par with 2012 for me. Wasn’t old enough to remember 1998. To beat a strong Celtic team, in comparison to ours, and to end their treble treble would be unforgettable. 

A_A wehatethehibs

In terms of the game, the quality gap is bigger, I think we are bigger underdogs for this one than we were for 98 so for me this would rank higher as a footballing achievement. Just in terms of player quality, the 98 Hearts side had some really great players. Attacking wise this side basically has Uche, McPhees set plays and a decent penalty taker Clare. To pull off the seemingly impossible, for this dreadful Hearts side to beat a Celtic side which has won 8 trophies in a row and skelped us 5-0 and 3-0 at Murrayfield this season would be the biggest shock Scottish football has seen since... well since last season when we battered Celtic 4-0 ending the invincible run 

For the fans who were there, the emotion of 98 probably will never be topped but football wise I believe this certainly the biggest underdog situation Hearts have been in. 2006 and 2012 we were the favourites to win the finals and we did so, 5-1 obviously is immortal. But this one, Celtic spend 10x what we do on players what a joy it would be to beat those ***** in a final especially for Levein to get himself a medal.

14 minutes ago, Hampden Demolition said:

On par with 2012 for me. Wasn’t old enough to remember 1998. To beat a strong Celtic team, in comparison to ours, and to end their treble treble would be unforgettable. 

Totally agree. Hearts were overwhelming favourites in 2006 & 2012. 1998 was different , bur Hearts were very much a team on the up and Rangers were being broken up.  It would be a massive shock if Hearts were to win this year. 

Finlay James

It would equal 98 for me.

When the final whistle blew in 98, the feeling cannot be replicated and thinking about it still puts a lump in my throat.  We had a Hearts legend in charge that day in JJ and wee Robbo lifting the cup with hand on heart is one of the iconic Hearts images.  Let's also not forget that we played a fantastic Rangers team that day.

2006 and 2012 were a formality and never in doubt.

Winning the cup this year, 5 years after the club were very nearly liquidated, would underline the incredible progress that the club has made since and the outstanding job that Ann Budge and Craig Levein have done.  It's nothing short of a miracle that we're here but that's just how dedicated and talented everyone at the club is to making Hearts the top of the pile in Scotland.

This is just the beginning though, once Levein gets one trophy, they'll come in droves so get used to it folks.  Nobody is more deserving of a cup win than Oor Craigy.

The Internet
1 hour ago, Brighton Jambo said:

I'm not trying to downplay it at all and I'm delighted we're there, but I think that has a lot to do with the draws we had. Can only beat what's in front of you but we've had livi - auchinleck - Partick - Inverness. Would've taken abject failure not to reach the final. We were due a run like this though, our luck in cup draws has been horrendous up til this season. 

2 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

I'm not trying to downplay it at all and I'm delighted we're there, but I think that has a lot to do with the draws we had. Can only beat what's in front of you but we've had livi - auchinleck - Partick - Inverness. Would've taken abject failure not to reach the final. We were due a run like this though, our luck in cup draws has been horrendous up til this season. 

1998 run was Clydebank, Albion Rovers, Ayr Utd and Falkirk !

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, Brighton Jambo said:

On JKB perhaps, I would agree, but it will end some posters for the summer and others will recreate themselves. But lets not have that bother us.

The part I have highlighted are my thoughts. It will be the greatest I think I have ever seen. Even better than 98.

I said to a wee man next to me on 19th May 2012, enjoy this, it could be a very long time before we see it again.

7 short years on, and just 5 since coming out of admin, with our ground fully redeveloped, what a wonderful reward this would be.

The league form has been less than what we hope for or expect, but on 25th May, it wont matter a jot.

There are some very good players in our team, they need to put it together for one day and deliver a performance. It might still not be enough, Celtic are obviously the strongest team in Scotland by a long way, but who knows. Its a one off and pressure can tell, there will be so much expectancy in Celtic, if we can unsettle them, that can be hard to handle.

Its our hardest task in all of the Cup Finals I have seen since 86, given the decade that it has been, this would be an incredible rags to riches story and real reward for the thousands who saved the club and helped fund it.

The thought of ending the treble treble and to see the disappointment on Neil Lennon’s face is orgasmic. 

1998 was incredible to witness. I’ve never felt so emotional after a game. 

It would beat the 2006 final easily and overtake the pump fest of 2012. 

Think it will be better than 5-1 because hibs were so pathetic that day in 2012, I think the semi that year was better than the final so can only imagine this will be even sweeter than that❤️

I think in regards to an achievement it will top the lot but it would not beat the feeling of being 5-1 up against hibs at Hampden. 

kingantti1874
5 minutes ago, ZanderMIM said:

I think in regards to an achievement it will top the lot but it would not beat the feeling of being 5-1 up against hibs at Hampden. 

If we beat them 4-0 like the win at tynecastle it would. ?

a 4-0 win to match the win that ended their unbeaten run, a 4-0 win to end their treble treble, Lenny last game as Celtic manager.. HMFC burned into that pricks mind for the rest of eternity.. 

colinmaroon

I was there in 1956 as a 9 year old, I was at every disappointment until 1998.

To me that was a truly glorious day, even the weather.  My daughter's birthday as well.

I was there with her in 2006.  I was ill in 2012 but just about killed myself when the first goal went in.

If we win on 25th May, it will actually be the greatest achievement of them all, because of the massive gulf and stopping that lot and their treble treble. 

However, '98 emotionally for me remains top of the list.

Edited by colinmaroon

1 minute ago, colinmaroon said:

I was there in 1956 as a 9 year old, I was at every disappointment until 1998.

To me that was a truly glorious day, even the weather.  My daughter's birthday as well.

I was there with her in 2006.  I was ill in 2012 but just about killed myself when the first goal went in.

If we win on 25th May, it will actually be the greatest achievement of them all, because of the massive gulf and stopping that lot and their treble treble. 

However, '98 emotionally for me remains top of the list.

Great stuff Colin. Now if you wouldn't mind having a quick word with the man above about the final, that would be appreciated!

Jambof3tornado

I think as colin says, given the gulf this would be our greatest achievement.

So many reasons for us not to win but how good would it be to see Lennon cry??

Heartsofgold

For me, behind both 1998 & 2012 but ahead of 2006.

1998 - This was us breaking a trophy drought going back decades.

2012 - Do I even need to put why this one is so special?

2 hours ago, glynnlondon said:

Always be behind 98 imo

Spot on, 98 trumps everything for me as well. I would put it above 2012 if we win. 

2 hours ago, Locky said:

I know many will shoot me down for suggesting this could equal 98 or 5-1, but almost 5 years after being minutes from liquidation, would it be one of our finest hours if our boys bring the cup home?

It will be better than 98 and 2012 put together.

doctor jambo

The rest of the country- or at least everyone who does not support a green and white team, will be rooting for us too..

It would be a massive result.

Not as big as '98,

but a bigger achievement than beating Hibs, that is for certain

colinmaroon

Just had a phone call from my daughter who has progressive MS and is in a wheelchair, as she was in 2006.  We were high up above the Hearts end then and it was ideal.

"Dad, will you take me to the game?"  Talk about the blind leading the blind!!!

Not sure if we'll get tickets?  Any advice?

Pants Shaton

Don’t really get how this would be better than beating Hibs 5-1

certainly don’t get how it would be better than 98 - presumably only anyone under the age 30 could ever  think that - most of us never thought we’d see Hearts win a trophy until then

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
2 hours ago, Brighton Jambo said:

divided support ? the Celtic support are divided over Lenny already - all this divided stuff is just amplified in the heads of folk who pay major attention to social media

if we lose the final it will rank alongside 1976 - beat no-one of relative significance got beat by the first team of relative significance - if we lose the manner of the defeat will be important

if we win will rank just behind 1998 (for me) - easy-ish draw but win very difficult final 

if we win middle of the road fan delighted

experts on here delighted cos theyll feel proven to be experts

celtic-haters will be delighted for obvious reasons

so I think if we win you have nothing to worry about 

16 minutes ago, Marvin said:

It will be better than 98 and 2012 put together.

Usually agree with most of your stuff Marvin, but can’t agree with this post. :sad: 

Anyone think that the folk who are putting the potential 2019 cup win ahead of ‘98 and the 5-1, are doing so purely because of who this years opposition is?

1 minute ago, Morgan said:

Anyone think that the folk who are putting the potential 2019 cup win ahead of ‘98 and the 5-1, are doing so purely because of who this years opposition is?

Yip. That’s it in most cases.

Nothing will beat the 5-1, short of getting them again and beating them 8-1 !

I can understand votes for 98’ from folks of our generation because of the previous failings but 2012 can’t be topped.

2 hours ago, iantjambo said:

On par with 5-1 for me.

Still wouldn’t beat ‘98 though.

This for me too. Only the birth of my daughter or getting me end away these days tops 98 for me

Too young to appreciate what really happened in 98.

06 was painful to watch and more of a relief

2012 was so easy it didn't seem real.

2019 would top the list for me 100%

Lord Beni of Gorgie
55 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

If we beat them 4-0 like the win at tynecastle it would. ?

a 4-0 win to match the win that ended their unbeaten run, a 4-0 win to end their treble treble, Lenny last game as Celtic manager.. HMFC burned into that pricks mind for the rest of eternity.. 

:sweeet:

2 hours ago, Brighton Jambo said:

I think your confusing reality with 

this place  which Is infested with trolls  and so called fans who could not find there way to Tynecastle in a taxi.

beating Celtic in a  sc final after all we have been through would be up there  with anything.