Where will this rank if we win?

Rick James

Finlay James
14 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Anyone think that the folk who are putting the potential 2019 cup win ahead of ‘98 and the 5-1, are doing so purely because of who this years opposition is?

I guess it's so subjective and affects everyone differently.  As I said earlier, winning this year would equal 98 for me simply because we have no right to be this far ahead so soon after administration.  It would be an incredible achievement to win the cup this year.  2006 and 2012 (for me) were a foregone conclusion and we barely needed to turn up.

A league win would top everything for me.  

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• Boab

• Bazzas right boot

• BOBTHEBRUCE

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Above anything I've seen. Celtic have been Scotlands dominant team my whole life. Seeing us win the cup against them would be huge for that reason. Add in ruining their treble treble, the fact we almost died 5 years ago and it just overtakes 5-1 for me 

queensferryjambo
3 hours ago, Locky said:

I know many will shoot me down for suggesting this could equal 98 or 5-1, but almost 5 years after being minutes from liquidation, would it be one of our finest hours if our boys bring the cup home?

It would rate as our best ever achievement only because our team is very average just now and Celtic are flying their highest ever in domestic football for gaining trophies 

We had much better teams in 98 and 06 and were up against total shite in 2012. 

Given how shit our manager and most of our players are, against a team that has won the last 8 domestic trophies, then it would be one of the best results in our history.

Surely?

2 hours ago, Morgan said:

Usually agree with most of your stuff Marvin, but can’t agree with this post. :sad: 

I'd cream my boxers if we beat that shower in the final. I've seen them beat both the vermin and oldco. Need to cross of septic from my list.

Every cup final win is special in its own way for me. 

2006 was when I witnessed the first ever cup final win In person. 

2012 we beat Five Hibs 5-1 says it all really. 

1998 i was not at but the sheer joy on my Dads face and the parade after were enough for me. 

I don't bother ranking them. This would be a special as the rest for me. 

If we win on the 25th and burst their hollow treble-treble balloon, I will laugh and dance into a delirium ultimately passing-out on a wave of pure ecstasy.

Short of pipping them to the title which we will do eventually, it will be one of the greatest highs I'll probably ever experience in the football calendar.

1 hour ago, Marvin said:

I'd cream my boxers if we beat that shower in the final. I've seen them beat both the vermin and oldco. Need to cross of septic from my list.

Cross. :lol: 

:naughty:

I never thought 98 would be topped and it certainly wasn't in 06, 2012 though gave me bragging rights that will never be topped and goes into the same bracket as 98.

The sporting achievement if we beat this horrible club in May would elevate it right up there beside the other 2 for me. 

6 hours ago, Locky said:

I know many will shoot me down for suggesting this could equal 98 or 5-1, but almost 5 years after being minutes from liquidation, would it be one of our finest hours if our boys bring the cup home?

2019 (IF)

6 hours ago, Boab said:

It will be behind 5-1 and 98’ but ahead of 2006.

?

This

2 hours ago, Jammy T said:

Given how shit our manager and most of our players are, against a team that has won the last 8 domestic trophies, then it would be one of the best results in our history.

Surely?

It would indeed, but it would not generate the same emotion as 1998.

Rocky jamboa

I'm not sure anything will beat 98 for me. First trophy I saw us win against a very good rangers team, which we weren't expected to beat. 

The 5-1 was great but almost expected to win so not as big of an achievement in some ways. 

The 25th may will be huge and would beat the 5-1 for me, but not 98. 

To quote Kevin Keegan, I'd love it if we beat them, love it! 

Calebs Grandad
6 hours ago, Pants Shaton said:

The only thing that will beat 98 or 5-1 would be a premier league title 

A perfect summing up. 

Considering the gulf in finances these days - and the gulf in quality between us and celtic - beating Celtic in the final would probably rank as our best cup win, if not our most memorable given how important 98 and 2012 were for different reasons.

It would also add to the already great story of how we saved the club and got back on our feet after admin, just as we transition into fan ownership.

Unlike before our last 3 finals vs st mirren, Gretna and Hibs I don’t have any expectation of winning, just hope we give it a good go.

I don't think anything other than a league title would beat '98. Beating the hooped demons would eclipse '06. As for beating '12, it all depends on the game. A 4-0 or better would probably equal or might even shade it. Similarly, coming back from behind or scoring the winner with the last kick of the ball would be the same. If it was a scrappy 1-0 win with the backs to the wall for 90 minutes, then I think it'd end up 3rd place for me. 

Boyces beard

Nothing can beat 98, it wont match 5-1 in terms of significance for us hearts fans but it will beat 2006 hands down. For Celtic fans it would feel taking a large dry maroon boaby. 3x3 = 8 ?....... how the **** did that happen?  I would love for us to ruin the triple triple

If we manage to win against Celtic in this game it will be a minor miracle and an amazing achievement but for me at least would not outshine 98 which was the one that broke our long run without a SCP win. Would probably be better than the 2006 win but not as good as 2012 because we gubbed the wee team so convincingly that is something that they will have to do to use in a final and to be fair that seems most unlikely

Stopping their treble treble and seeing lennon self combust on the hampden turf like the semi in 2012 would be beautiful. 

It will be hard to beat 1901. 

In terms of longer term success it might be approaching 1956. Preceding fan ownership too. Though a run of challenging for titles is hard in modern era. 

I do feel this could be another run of Cup success. 

Edited by Mikey1874

Bazzas right boot

98 is hard to beat. 

It would beat 2012 tho. 

Unexpected win. 

Levein's first trophy 

V Lennon 

To end the treble treble. 

Drooling+doesnt+mean+its+in+pain+or+have+problems+if+_792d30732edfaef8dc9d5314f1e96ad2.jpg

Pants Shaton
10 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

98 is hard to beat. 

It would beat 2012 tho. 

Unexpected win. 

Levein's first trophy 

V Lennon 

To end the treble treble. 

Drooling+doesnt+mean+its+in+pain+or+have+problems+if+_792d30732edfaef8dc9d5314f1e96ad2.jpg

Have folk taken leave of their senses!

It was 5-1 against Hibs!!

Some guys on here judge entire seasons and managers based on results against the shite!!!

Beating Celtic would make it 3rd best of 4 for me.  

Gambo - Of course you can categorise cup wins -  did 2006 excite you / mean as much as 1998?

Edited by Pants Shaton

Only a league win would top 98 , for me this would be a massive result so would be 2nd favourite result in Glasgow. 

I actually enjoyed the semi-finals in 06 and 12 more than the finals. 

At 11 years old I loved 98 but just wasn't old enough to fully appreciate it. Gretna was low key after the perceived 'real final' in the semi. 2012 is hard to beat but it was anticlimactic because it was so easy.

I think the joy of the overall day in 2012 will only ever be beaten if we win the title one day. If we win this year the joy at a winning goal or full time could be the best for me personally.

The best moment in my hearts supporting life was the 2012 semi win. We were written of by everyone, even most of the hearts support. Yet we won it in dramatic fashion and we all knew what awaited us.

BOBTHEBRUCE

This has been the easiest run up to a final in the history of man kind. 

It will be great if we beat Celtic in the final but... jeez. Ranking it up there with anything is a bit naive. 

I hope Naismith is fit and raring to go because i can only see a Celtic win and by more than 1 goal. 

9 hours ago, Boab said:

It will be behind 5-1 and 98’ but ahead of 2006.

?

Pretty much this, i think the run to this final is what would shade it out compared to those two.

26 minutes ago, BOBTHEBRUCE said:

This has been the easiest run up to a final in the history of man kind. 

It will be great if we beat Celtic in the final but... jeez. Ranking it up there with anything is a bit naive. 

I hope Naismith is fit and raring to go because i can only see a Celtic win and by more than 1 goal. 

Check the 98’ run to the final !

BOBTHEBRUCE
6 minutes ago, Boab said:

Check the 98’ run to the final !

Bit different. We weren't expected to get to a final back then. No money etc. 

We're in the best financial state we've ever been in and we need to kick on. 

Edited by BOBTHEBRUCE

1 minute ago, BOBTHEBRUCE said:

Eh ?

We were in a race for the League as well that season until the wheels came off late on !

Were you around ?

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Pants Shaton said:

Have folk taken leave of their senses!

It was 5-1 against Hibs!!

Some guys on here judge entire seasons and managers based on results against the shite!!!

Beating Celtic would make it 3rd best of 4 for me.  

Gambo - Of course you can categorise cup wins -  did 2006 excite you / mean as much as 1998?

Hibs was great because of the margin of victory and getting beat would hang over our heads for eternity. We also didn't want to be the team that gave them that sc victory. 

98 and 2012 and even 2006 had as much a certain amount of relief around it as opposed to just happiness. 

98- obvious reason. 

06, it was gretna and penalties. 

12 v hibs, getting beat would have been dreadful. 

This year, it would be all joy. 

Not favourites. 

End treble treble 

Lennons face. 

Craig lifting the trophy 

5 years after admin. 

I don't think folk will realise how good it would be until it happens. 

I loved that 80's team, be great to see a player put somes ghosts to bed with a cup win. 

Bazzas right boot
11 minutes ago, BOBTHEBRUCE said:

Very good team in 98, we'd been to two finals previously in quick succession and where peaking in 98.

We had built momentum over two seasons. 

Think you're a bit off. 

This is our first semi finals since 2013 and the first since admin. 

Edited by Olly Lee's left boot

BOBTHEBRUCE
29 minutes ago, Boab said:

Eh ?

We were in a race for the League as well that season until the wheels came off late on !

Were you around ?

Yes, i was there. 

Those were better days on the field with a lot less money. 

Edited by BOBTHEBRUCE

22 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Very good team in 98, we'd been to two finals previously in quick succession and where peaking in 98.

We had built momentum over two seasons. 

Think you're a bit off. 

This is our first semi finals since 2013 and the first since admin. 

Not to mention the fact we were genuine title contenders up until April. Losing a late goal to a shite Motherwell and then losing to a shite Hibs saw the league title disappear. ****, we could still mathematically win it with 3 games to go. To say we weren't expected to get to a final, after challenging for the league and reaching a cup final the 2 seasons previous, is a hell of a claim. We might not have expected to win it, but to get there was no shock. 

Edited by Normthebarman

2 hours ago, Gambo said:

Up there with any other Scottish Cup win

We don't win enough of them to categorise them.

I don’t think you can be as glib as that to be honest.

For example, beating Celtic in any way would be a better accomplishment than scraping home against Gretna on penalties.

The feeling of winning the cup is always superb but it would be a much better achievement (which is the basic premise of the thread).

What if we thumped them 4-0 again?

Just the same as 1-1 against Gretna?

Edited by Jammy T

Bazzas right boot

One thing I think everyone would agree on- would be that it would be good to find out how it ranks. ?

9 hours ago, Brighton Jambo said:

For me I think the overall significance will be diluted by how divided out support is over a number of things not least the manager.  Given our  near liquidation, relegation and promotion, to win a cup so soon should be an amazing achievement made sweeter by ending Celtics treble treble.

Sadly I think our fans will find ways to downplay the significance.  Not on the day in the stadium I hasten to add but when analysing the significance.  Ann Budge said she wanted us back challenging for trophies, we are now yet i don’t get a sense people are actually that delighted about it.

Folk aren't delighted as they can't hate Levein again until we lose the final.

What would be amazing about this cup win would be the fact we have won it 4 times in 21 years but also by beating Celtic Rangers and Hibs in 3 of those finals

18 minutes ago, BOBTHEBRUCE said:

Yes, i was there. 

So it wasn’t a fairly easy run in or it was ?

No riddles, it’s nearly time for my supper !

BOBTHEBRUCE
2 minutes ago, Boab said:

So it wasn’t a fairly easy run in or it was ?

No riddles, it’s nearly time for my supper !

This time it has been an easy run in. 

Back then, nothing was easy. 

Enjoy your supper. 

I've just had spag bol and garlic bread, i can barely move. 

Bazzas right boot
25 minutes ago, BOBTHEBRUCE said:

Yes, i was there. 

Allot less money, compared to who? 

And think you'll find we we racked up debt and after the cup win sold a few players. 

You're all over the place on this, why try and down play anything. Wierd behaviour. 

1 hour ago, BOBTHEBRUCE said:

Yes, i was there. 

Eh, a lot less money in 98? There was much more money swilling around Scottish football in those days and everyone was racking up the debt. We routinely paid a few hundred thousand for players like McCann, Cameron, Hamilton, etc, and fairly routinely got decent money when we sold players as the effects of the Bosman rule hadn't fully kicked in.