The twirly

Baxfee

Governor Tarkin
5 hours ago, Hearts_fan said:

I don't think anyone could successfully argue that wearing a football scarf to a football match is a weird phenomenon.

I could, but I have more pressing matters to attend to. 

:verysmug:

37 minutes ago, andythejambo said:

At last....someone getting the name right. The "helicopter" has indeed been around since the 70's. The first time I think was at St James Park, during a Texaco Cup match, where both sets of fans did it.....plenty of bother that night, before, during and after the match. At first when the spinning started, it was just a steadily growing roar. Hey Jude came along a few years later. The rest is history.

Not old enough to remember the Newcastle game. I think I was only around 3/4 yo at the time. Have read/heard about it though. Sounds wild.

Hey Jude was definitely part of it by the Shield derby and it was definitely called the helicopter in those days. Never been keen on "Twirly". Not a word that goes hand in hand with the Hearts support that night at ER in '81/82 or St. James' Park a decade earlier. :lol:

17 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I could, but I have more pressing matters to attend to. 

:verysmug:

Looking at yourself in the mirror?

scott herbertson

Off the wall theory

It's possible it's partly associated with the rise of the Bay City Rollers with their trademark 'scarves around the wrists'. I remember a few young guys wearing hearts scarves that way 

Related image

58 minutes ago, Dunks said:

86/87 Scottish Cup against Celtic. Late KO because Scotland were playing Ireland. Winner scored by Robbo.

Still my favourite game ever and by far the best ever atmosphere.

FWIW, we knew before full time it was Motherwell in the next round, Hibs got pumped by Clydebank, Scotland won and the old Huns were dumped by Hamilton in the previous round :D 

Sounds like the game my late brother was mascot. He was on the pitch with a maroon stookie the full length of his leg. I'm told Andy Walker of tic was brilliant with him along with big Davie MacPherson for us.

14 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

Off the wall theory

It's possible it's partly associated with the rise of the Bay City Rollers with their trademark 'scarves around the wrists'. I remember a few young guys wearing hearts scarves that way 

Related image

Remember the guys who'd wrap the scarves around their heads?

2 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Remember the guys who'd wrap the scarves around their heads?

Alex MacDonalds Soccer Indians! 

Forever Hearts
20 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Sounds like the game my late brother was mascot. He was on the pitch with a maroon stookie the full length of his leg. I'm told Andy Walker of tic was brilliant with him along with big Davie MacPherson for us.

Dave McPherson didn't play in that game. He was with Rangers at the time. 

Governor Tarkin
1 hour ago, Hearts_fan said:

Looking at yourself in the mirror?

If only. 

:wub:

43 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

Dave McPherson didn't play in that game. He was with Rangers at the time. 

Thanks I stand corrected. 

a safe pair of sells
3 hours ago, Dunks said:

86/87 Scottish Cup against Celtic. Late KO because Scotland were playing Ireland. Winner scored by Robbo.

Still my favourite game ever and by far the best ever atmosphere.

FWIW, we knew before full time it was Motherwell in the next round, Hibs got pumped by Clydebank, Scotland won and the old Huns were dumped by Hamilton in the previous round :D 

my favourite memory of that game was Henry's celebration as he was walking off at full time! GIRFUY and take that back to Weegie Land with you!

1 hour ago, Governor Tarkin said:

If only. 

:wub:

There I was imagining that mirror-gazing is a favoured activity of folk more concerned with self-image than wearing a scarf with their team's colours. 

Governor Tarkin
2 hours ago, Hearts_fan said:

There I was imagining that mirror-gazing is a favoured activity of folk more concerned with self-image than wearing a scarf with their team's colours. 

You could be right,  I just wouldn't know about the mirror gazing habits of the people you speak of any more than I'd know whether you gaze in the mirror whilst cupping yourself through your hearts pyjamas. 

Geoff the Mince
7 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

You could be right,  I just wouldn't know about the mirror gazing habits of the people you speak of any more than I'd know whether you gaze in the mirror whilst cupping yourself through your hearts pyjamas. 

I look pretty good in a Hearts tartan dress .

On 14/04/2019 at 16:43, Mr Elwood P said:

Someone going to every away game and racking up loads of loyalty points provides no financial benefit to Hearts. Someone buying a season ticket for 2019/20 season provides hundreds of pounds in revenue. Those putting money into the club should get a final ticket. The differential between 2018/19 season ticket holders and 2019/20 season ticket holders will be less than a couple of thousand I would imagine so we will be able to cater to all three categories of supporter.

On 14/04/2019 at 15:47, Baxfee said:

I think we’re going to have to get twirly lessons before the final. Was great seeing everyone doing it yesterday but where was the ‘na na na nananana, nananana jam tarts’? It’s ours - and there really isn’t a better sight or sound 

Two home matches left to practice. 

1 hour ago, Governor Tarkin said:

?

N Lincs Jambo

The twirly to Hey Jude goes back at least as far as 73 as we were definitely doing it in the early part of 73-74 season when we were top of the league until October. I didn’t have a scarf until 74 and was well pissed off as I couldn’t do the twirly.

15 hours ago, andythejambo said:

At last....someone getting the name right. The "helicopter" has indeed been around since the 70's. The first time I think was at St James Park, during a Texaco Cup match, where both sets of fans did it.....plenty of bother that night, before, during and after the match. At first when the spinning started, it was just a steadily growing roar. Hey Jude came along a few years later. The rest is history.

What a night that was.  5 of us went down in a car and couldn't believe the number of Hearts supporters buses we saw.

Turnstile we were queuing at was closed and we were redirected to another.  Queried the polis who told us that behind the goal was jam packed.  How many of you are there he asked.

Amazing support that night.  I would estimate 10, 000 but it may have bern a lot more.  

Dont remember the helicopter but I do remember the trouble.  Not our finest hour.  Or their's.  Saw a guy's food cart being demolished after the game and sauce squirted on his face.  Horrible.

Tommy Walker
2 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

What a night that was.  5 of us went down in a car and couldn't believe the number of Hearts supporters buses we saw.

Turnstile we were queuing at was closed and we were redirected to another.  Queried the polis who told us that behind the goal was jam packed.  How many of you are there he asked.

Amazing support that night.  I would estimate 10, 000 but it may have bern a lot more.  

Dont remember the helicopter but I do remember the trouble.  Not our finest hour.  Or their's.  Saw a guy's food cart being demolished after the game and sauce squirted on his face.  Horrible.

I was staying with a mate in Durham for the game and went with his mates who were Sunderland fans who said they'd never seen anything like it even when they played Noocassel.

TW

A Shoreditch Heart

In the mid 1970's I'm pretty sure we called it 'the whirly' after an old tv show about doctors on helicopters called the 'Whirlybirds' that was always on morning tv during the school holidays during that period.... I could be talking nonsense thou.