The twirly

Baxfee

I think we’re going to have to get twirly lessons before the final. Was great seeing everyone doing it yesterday but where was the ‘na na na nananana, nananana jam tarts’? It’s ours - and there really isn’t a better sight or sound 

maroonsgotop
57 minutes ago, Baxfee said:

I think we’re going to have to get twirly lessons before the final. Was great seeing everyone doing it yesterday but where was the ‘na na na nananana, nananana jam tarts’? It’s ours - and there really isn’t a better sight or sound 

A great sight which we've been doing since 1987. the best I've seen was at the Hibs final and also against Celtic in the cup in '87.

link below

I agree, we really should capitalise on the twirly, it's a great thing, and incredible when 80%+ are doing it. 

The simultaneous hum drone is equally effective. 

If we were to do spontaneously during a match sometime, it could spur the players on enough to attack strongly and score.

If there's a criticism of us fans, it's that we are often reactive more than proactive in terms of encouraging the team with songs and twirlies. 

2 minutes ago, jamboozy said:

Took mine for that specific purpose yesterday ?Then left it in the Horseshoe Bar?Pished so no excuses?

Thanks for the scarf mate.

1 minute ago, Artful Dodger said:

Thanks for the scarf mate.

Ya barstud! ?Right , c'mon then, what's the ransome?

ps: I'm glad for your sake my highly infectious skin rash has all but cleared on my neck??

18 minutes ago, kila said:

Not enough had scarfs with them

If its a warm day in May even less will have one with them id think.

Governor Tarkin
16 minutes ago, Hearts_fan said:

Which is a weird phenomenon.

You could argue that wearing scarves in the summer is a weird phenomenon. But anyway, us casuals don't wear them even in the winter.

26 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

You could argue that wearing scarves in the summer is a weird phenomenon. But anyway, us casuals don't wear them even in the winter.

All the casuals have Burberry scarfs with a wee stone island label.

Governor Tarkin
1 minute ago, Herbert said:

All the casuals have Burberry scarfs with a wee stone island label.

Ah, the classic 'ebay casual' scarf.

You're confusing plooky teenagers for well groomed, debonaire, soccer trendies.

:lol:

Edited by Governor Tarkin

1 hour ago, kila said:

Not enough had scarfs with them

Never go to a match without one, even in summer! 

The one time I did, we got beat 3-2 by Falkirk in the Championship season :(

I still blame myself for costing us our winning streak.

been here before
1 hour ago, jamboozy said:

Ya barstud! ?Right , c'mon then, what's the ransome?

ps: I'm glad for your sake my highly infectious skin rash has all but cleared on my neck??

Its a lawnmower.

maroonsgotop
19 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

We were doing it before 1987. 

cant remember it in 1986 when we were going for the league/cup double. If it was before 87 it must have been during the start of 86/87 season, maybe from seeing something at the 86 World Cup?

7 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Ah, the classic 'ebay casual' scarf.

You're confusing plooky teenagers for well groomed, debonaire, soccer trendies.

:lol:

It was like a fashion show yesterday. I felt like a tramp wearing my hearts top.

a safe pair of sells
1 hour ago, maroonsgotop said:

A great sight which we've been doing since 1987. the best I've seen was at the Hibs final and also against Celtic in the cup in '87.

link below

Ah, the Jambo "Blizzard", as auld Archie called it on the commentary. Better name than Twirly to be fair.

3 minutes ago, Herbert said:

It was like a fashion show yesterday. I felt like a tramp wearing my hearts top.

There was one young fella stalking around like he owned the place looked like a lanky Fatima Whitbread. 

1 minute ago, gjcc said:

There was one young fella stalking around like he owned the place looked like a lanky Fatima Whitbread. 

A seen a guy with painted on Jean's that stopped at the calf and no socks. He did have a beautiful singing voice as he sung hello hello quite a few times from the bus to the stadium. These young guys are just wee pricks.

Lucille's Thirsty
25 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

no better sight

It looks fantastic, would look even better if someone got it from the Hibs end. You know to see all the Hearts fans from a distance. 

All roads lead to Gorgie
30 minutes ago, a safe pair of sells said:

Ah, the Jambo "Blizzard", as auld Archie called it on the commentary. Better name than Twirly to be fair.

That's cool. ?

1 hour ago, 1971fozzy said:

no better sight

I spotted some technical flaws there.  Some getting the scarf wrapped round their hand.  Plenty room for improvement as my teachers used to say and clear need for intensive practice.

Forever Hearts
11 hours ago, maroonsgotop said:

cant remember it in 1986 when we were going for the league/cup double. If it was before 87 it must have been during the start of 86/87 season, maybe from seeing something at the 86 World Cup?

It was definitely done at Parkhead in February 86 when we drew 1-1. 

Pretty sure I remember it at Tannadice and at home against Aberdeen also. 

16 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

It was definitely done at Parkhead in February 86 when we drew 1-1. 

Folk will think we're just doing the twirly to disperse the smoke.

The sight of a mass twirly, whirlygig, blizzard or whatever you want to call it used to send shivers running up my spine.

16 hours ago, maroonsgotop said:

link below

Got a much better ring to it as well Archie calling it the blizzard.Twirly just sounds shit imo.

14 hours ago, a safe pair of sells said:

I’ve also heard Archie saying “maroon and white whirligig”

17 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I don't think anyone could successfully argue that wearing a football scarf to a football match is a weird phenomenon.

4 hours ago, alyp said:

Pretty sure I remember it at Tannadice and at home against Aberdeen also. 

The 0-3 game at Tannadice, I remember Alex MacDonald doing it with a towel, after hearing the chants of "Doddie, Doddie, gie's a wave!"

So it was well established by then. 

17 hours ago, maroonsgotop said:

I started going in the 70’s and as far as I’m aware, we have been doing it since the 70’s. I seem to recall, we copied Newcastle after a game at St James. No idea if it was a friendly or the Anglo Scottish, but I am quite sure we are getting on for 50 years of the TWIRLY. 

We_are_the_Hearts
2 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Pleased to say I was part of that. Shame about the final score though.

We won 1-0

1 minute ago, We_are_the_Hearts said:

We won 1-0

Sorry I was thinking of that semi v them. Haven't watched the link as in work.

One of my all time favourites. Being young and seeing the whole crowd do it game me goose bumps. To this day my memory of the twirly at the 98 cup final against rangers at parkhead makes me smile. 

Memory wise I can take it back to October 1981. 2-1 win at ER in the East of Scotland Shield. I was at Leith Academy at the time and the "helicopter" and the Gorgie Aggro made a big impression on the Hibs fans at school. 

Unlikely it began that night so may go even further back. 

Just now, Forever Hearts said:

I'm also 99% sure we did it in a League Cup tie at Ibrox in 1982. 

Absolutely. Remember that too. 

45 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Sorry I was thinking of that semi v them. Haven't watched the link as in work.

So you weren't there at all ?:D

1 hour ago, Dunks said:

So you weren't there at all ?:D

If the link is the game I think it is, I would have been working for safeway and if I'm right my late brother was mascot that day. 

andythejambo
2 hours ago, martoon said:

Memory wise I can take it back to October 1981. 2-1 win at ER in the East of Scotland Shield. I was at Leith Academy at the time and the "helicopter" and the Gorgie Aggro made a big impression on the Hibs fans at school. 

Unlikely it began that night so may go even further back. 

At last....someone getting the name right. The "helicopter" has indeed been around since the 70's. The first time I think was at St James Park, during a Texaco Cup match, where both sets of fans did it.....plenty of bother that night, before, during and after the match. At first when the spinning started, it was just a steadily growing roar. Hey Jude came along a few years later. The rest is history.

Edited by andythejambo
More info

8 minutes ago, Marvin said:

If the link is the game I think it is, I would have been working for safeway and if I'm right my late brother was mascot that day. 

86/87 Scottish Cup against Celtic. Late KO because Scotland were playing Ireland. Winner scored by Robbo.

Still my favourite game ever and by far the best ever atmosphere.

FWIW, we knew before full time it was Motherwell in the next round, Hibs got pumped by Clydebank, Scotland won and the old Huns were dumped by Hamilton in the previous round :D