Time to unite Behind Craig

lou

4 minutes ago, Morph said:

Ann budge said 4th is the bare minimum, so what is the consequence of failing to achieve that?

“There is no guarantee the next manager isn’t going to be worse”

:laugh:  Massively clutching at straws there to defend levein.  

He’s one of the top straw clutchers on here!! ?

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Enzo Chiefo

• rick witter

• frankblack

• Jodami

Forever Hearts
Just now, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

He has a good relationship with Budge - but she’s not the one who wants him emptied!  There is a growing number of Hearts fans who want him out - he will not go easily!!

If season ticket sales are as bad as some are predicting they will be then she will act. She simply HAS to act. 

Just now, Forever Hearts said:

If season ticket sales are as bad as some are predicting they will be then she will act. She simply HAS to act. 

I’m not so sure.

Phil Dunphy
20 hours ago, upgotheheads said:

I stand by my remark about McKinnes he's hardly set the heather alight with trophy winning. But ok, fair points otherwise. Today was about our lack of quality in depth. If Clare, Keena , Haring Naismith and Morrison had been available then Wighton and Bozanic wouldn't have been near the squad. We're stuck with CL til after the cup final at least so we'd better get used to it 

"If"

The ****ing story of this season. "If we had X". 

Utter shite.

55 minutes ago, Morph said:

Ann budge said 4th is the bare minimum, so what is the consequence of failing to achieve that?

This. It’s the philosophy of fear. Quite apt, given the style of play favoured by the manager he’s defending.

upgotheheads
7 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

"If"

The ****ing story of this season. "If we had X". 

Utter shite.

In terms of injuries, in 60 years of watching Hearts I can't remember a season with so many injuries to important players at crucial times. 

13 hours ago, portobellojambo1 said:

I've heard a number of stories that he likes gambling on horses, but he isn't very good at it

... but enough about David Vanecek.

Phil Dunphy
2 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

In terms of injuries, in 60 years of watching Hearts I can't remember a season with so many injuries to important players at crucial times. 

In terms of bringing in players, I can't think of many seasons we've signed 20 players and struggled for any kind of form once the clocks went back.

I have a season ticket in the Wheatfield for this and next season too. I left UK on March 11th for a couple of months touring Europe my last game was Partick away where we tried to hang on to a 1:0 lead against a relegation threatened side from the league below us. Lost my remaining faith in Levein that night, apart from goal snippets on the internet I've not watched a single game and according to my mates bar the second half last week I've missed nothing. I will be home for the cup final where an upset is possible but highly unlikely. Levein is here until the cup final but whatever the result he should be gone by next season.

The championship season was great but we've been largely mediocre since we lost to that Maltese team in Europe.

Wish I could see light at the end of the tunnel but must say I'm struggling.

Happy Easter.

upgotheheads
Just now, Phil Dunphy said:

In terms of bringing in players, I can't think of many seasons we've signed 20 players and struggled for any kind of form once the clocks went back.

I can't think of any, and I'm pretty sure that the shotgun approach to signings over the last couple of seasons has had a bad affect on the team and how we play.

I also can't remember an easier cup run.

1 hour ago, Jean Louis Valois said:

So we should stick with Levein because whoever we bring in to replace him might not do any better, what a ridiculous thing to say. 

Not the point I was making.  Just pointing out for every managerial appointment that improves a club there are a number of disasters like Cathro or Terry Butcher at Hibs.

The compensation aspect is something the foamers on this thread are going to have to accept.

1 hour ago, Morph said:

I suspect the board will consider a top six finish, one semi final, and a final to play as enough progress.

The best scenario for you is if Craig walks away for health reasons.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not at all happy with our current form, but I'm looking objectively rather than losing my shit.

Phil Dunphy
Just now, upgotheheads said:

I can't think of any, and I'm pretty sure that the shotgun approach to signings over the last couple of seasons has had a bad affect on the team and how we play.

I also can't remember an easier cup run.

Agreed.

The fact some people think we're making progress is just astonishing. 

rick witter
1 minute ago, frankblack said:

Not the point I was making.  Just pointing out for every managerial appointment that improves a club there are a number of disasters like Cathro or Terry Butcher at Hibs.

The compensation aspect is something the foamers on this thread are going to have to accept.

I suspect the board will consider a top six finish, one semi final, and a final to play as enough progress.

The best scenario for you is if Craig walks away for health reasons.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not at all happy with our current form, but I'm looking objectively rather than losing my shit.

In terms of league performance for a team the budget and stature of Hearts in Scotland it can’t be any worse than it is now. 6th is the very worst we should be. 25 points from the last 74 available would get anybody else at any other club we are supposed to be competing against for third/fourth the sack. 

Phil Dunphy
2 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Two easier cup runs you won't find.

League Cup = One amateur side, one League 2 side, one League 1 side, 2 Championship teams and Motherwell.

Scottish Cup = One Premiership side, one amateur side, 2 Championship teams.

And we've clearly stood still in the league. Anyone who thinks Levein should carry on as Hearts manager doesn't have the best interests of HMFC at heart.

8 minutes ago, rick witter said:

In terms of league performance for a team the budget and stature of Hearts in Scotland it can’t be any worse than it is now. 6th is the very worst we should be. 25 points from the last 74 available would get anybody else at any other club we are supposed to be competing against for third/fourth the sack. 

I did say I'm not happy with the current form, and I think the frequency of injuries shows something wrong in how the players are being prepared.

Sacking Levein and his backroom staff is a lot harder than some on here think though, as my guess is that paying off a director of football/manager plus all the coaches etc could cost a considerable amount.  Once you've done that you then have to tell the next manager how little his budget is after that is taken off along with new stand costs, and see what kind of candidates are interested.

So, who do you think is going to be interested in taking the job, and lets count out Steve Clarke?

15 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Two easier cup runs you won't find.

League Cup = One amateur side, one League 2 side, one League 1 side, 2 Championship teams and Motherwell.

Scottish Cup = One Premiership side, one amateur side, 2 Championship teams.

And we've clearly stood still in the league. Anyone who thinks Levein should carry on as Hearts manager doesn't have the best interests of HMFC at heart.

That argument about the cup runs is laughable when you consider outwith the cup wins we have rarely got anywhere in either cup.

It is the kind of desperate straw clutching argument I hear from Hibs fans.

Phil Dunphy
7 minutes ago, frankblack said:

That argument about the cup runs is laughable when you consider outwith the cup wins we have rarely got anywhere in either cup.

It is the kind of desperate straw clutching argument I hear from Hibs fans.

Just facts. If we hadn't got to the respective stages of either cup with the draws we've had then that would've been, quite frankly, a disgrace.

You can label whatever you want as laughable, but I think it's laughable that you want people to name an alternative to Levein as if it's some kind of reason to keep him around.

4 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Just facts. If we hadn't got to the respective stages of either cup with the draws we've had then that would've been, quite frankly, a disgrace.

You can label whatever you want as laughable, but I think it's laughable that you want people to name an alternative to Levein as if it's some kind of reason to keep him around.

Of all the things to take a pop at the club at I just find it desperate to try and put down our achievements in the cups.

My only reason for asking for alternatives to Levein is simply we don't want another Cathro situation.  How long does any new man get before people are on his back, and what is his minmum target to avoid the sack?  Just asking, as some have caviar tastes on a beans on toast budget.

Phil Dunphy
4 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Of all the things to take a pop at the club at I just find it desperate to try and put down our achievements in the cups.

My only reason for asking for alternatives to Levein is simply we don't want another Cathro situation.  How long does any new man get before people are on his back, and what is his minmum target to avoid the sack?  Just asking, as some have caviar tastes on a beans on toast budget.

You're asking people to read the minds of every single manager in world football and find out who's interested. Does anyone have a shortlist of every manager in the world who's without a club right now? Expecting people to come up with a proper answer to a question like that is just pointless.

Trust me, I could take a pop at many things in the current football setup. But saying we're making progress because we've beaten 2 bottom six teams spread across two cup runs is just being silly.

Edited by Phil Dunphy

48 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Then clearly IF that was the case then they would not be the board we require to take this club forward.

How the flip anyone can class 6th as progress is beyond me.

You're asking people to read the minds of every single manager in world football and find out who's interested. Does anyone have a shortlist of every manager in the world who's without a club right now? Expecting people to come up with a proper answer to a question like that is just pointless.

No, just asking you to say what kind of coach would be interested in the job.  After Cathro there wasn't a great deal of attractive options coming forward.

Trust me, I could take a pop at many things in the current football setup. But saying we're making progress because we've beaten 2 bottom six teams spread across two cup runs is just being silly.

As opposed of hardly making any semi finals other than 2006 and 2012, which is our norm.  Like it or not the fact is our cup runs are significant progress over our normal cup record.

On 14/04/2019 at 12:04, lou said:

We had a great start to the the season and are now finishing it with a day at Hampden.  The football in the middle and latter part has been tedious and there has been a lack of passion and drive.

We need to forget this in the hope that we can be part of one of the our greatest ever leading us to glory, watching Levein lift a trophy as Hearts manager would be right up there with 1998 and 2012.

I genuinely think no right minded Hearts fan is a hater, just frustrated.

Get behind Levein?This op is a wind up. Are you Anne Budge? 

Enzo Chiefo
27 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I did say I'm not happy with the current form, and I think the frequency of injuries shows something wrong in how the players are being prepared.

Sacking Levein and his backroom staff is a lot harder than some on here think though, as my guess is that paying off a director of football/manager plus all the coaches etc could cost a considerable amount.  Once you've done that you then have to tell the next manager how little his budget is after that is taken off along with new stand costs, and see what kind of candidates are interested.

So, who do you think is going to be interested in taking the job, and lets count out Steve Clarke?

Then whoever allowed Levein to hold the club to ransom by effectively making himself unsackable, has to be held accountable. A new manager, with exactly the same players, will get far more out the squad than Levein is capable of doing. Add the return of the feel good factor, increased attendances, corporate interest etc and it's a no brainer. 

No, just asking you to say what kind of coach would be interested in the job.  After Cathro there wasn't a great deal of attractive options coming forward.

As opposed of hardly making any semi finals other than 2006 and 2012, which is our norm.  Like it or not the fact is our cup runs are significant progress over our normal cup record.

I think probably more would have come forward if we didn’t have the dof place - some managers will want full control with zero consultation in place - just the way it is 

Phil Dunphy

And how would I know who would be interested in the job, exactly? Am I meant to read the minds of people like Darren Moore, David Moyes, Ian Holloway or Paul Clement?

I'm sorry, but beating the likes of Auchinleck Talbot, Cowdenbeath and Cove Rangers isn't enough to make up for 21 of the last 24 months of league form being ****ing dreadful.

rick witter
13 minutes ago, frankblack said:

We should as has been pointed out be in the cup final considering the draw we had but you have to still beat who you are drawn against and the team deserves credit for that. Especially the semi final as it was a no win situation for Hearts. 

But the league form can not be accepted any longer it’s not even close to being acceptable. 

Im not sure who we go form and that isn’t a job for us as fans. 

I would think there will be a load of quality applicants as long as Levein is removed from both his roles at the club and the new man does not have to work under him. 

3 hours ago, frankblack said:

We apparently had 100 CVs land on Budge’s desk before she realised the answer was just along the corridor.  One of those was apparently Sergio so to say there wasn’t other options there is stretching the truth a bit.  If we are reluctant to get a new manager because he might be worse than levein then we may as well give up any ambitions of competing with Aberdeen in the near future if that’s going to be the mentality going forward.  

No point in looking for any improvements player wise either as they might be worse than what we already have just now as well then :laugh: 

4 minutes ago, Morph said:

We apparently had 100 CVs land on Budge’s desk before she realised the answer was just along the corridor.  One of those was apparently Sergio so to say there wasn’t other options there is stretching the truth a bit.  If we are reluctant to get a new manager because he might be worse than levein then we may as well give up any ambitions of competing with Aberdeen in the near future if that’s going to be the mentality going forward.  

No point in looking for any improvements player wise either as they might be worse than what we already have just now as well then :laugh: 

Now you are just making stuff up.  Complete nonsense.

22 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Now you are just making stuff up.  Complete nonsense.

Hartley, Pressley, Freedman, McLaren were all spoken about as serious candidates, they were after Billy Davies but he wouldn’t work under the current system and they wouldn’t change it for him.  Even guys like Edgar Davids declared their interest in it.  Sergio said he was interested and didn’t even get an interview.  There’s an article from the time between sacking Cathro and appointing levein where Budge spoke about how many people had declared interest in the job. 

Its simply not true that Levein had to take the job because there was a lack of candidates coming forward. 

Edited by Morph

10 minutes ago, Morph said:

Hartley, Pressley, Freedman, McLaren were all spoken about as serious candidates, they were after Billy Davies but he wouldn’t work under the current system and they wouldn’t change it for him.  Even guys like Edgar Davids declared their interest in it.  Sergio said he was interested and didn’t even get an interview.  There’s an article from the time between sacking Cathro and appointing levein where Budge spoke about how many people had declared interest in the job. 

Its simply not true that Levein had to take the job because there was a lack of candidates coming forward. 

And that isn't he point - the truth was that Dougie Freedman was going to get the job but Crystal Palace nabbed him for a DOF type role there.  Isn't it ironic that an EPL team wants a sporting director yet according to some they are a hinderance! :rofl:

Paulo Sergio walked out on Hearts when times got tough, so I guess the board wondered what his staying power would have been like had he been successful here again.  Steve McLaren was only there to get his name in the shop window for a bigger job - we were never getting him.

Edited by frankblack

Just now, frankblack said:

And that isn't he point - the truth was that Dougie Freedman was going to get the job but Crystal Palace nabbed him for a DOF type role there.

Paulo Sergio walked out on Hearts when times got tough, so I guess the board wondered what his staying power would have been like had he been successful here again.  Steve McLaren was only there to get his name in the shop window for a bigger job - we were never getting him.

Paulo Sergio left because Hearts tried to shaft him financially after he won the cup.  Ridiculous to even think about criticising him when he went, he absolutely did not just walk out on us.  The guy absolutely loved it here, wanted to stay but we ****ed him about.  We should’ve IMO jumped at chance when he wanted to come back after all that.  5-1 cup winning legend but not sure about his ****ing staying power if he got successful :laugh: Seriously read back what you’re coming out with.  

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40832314

Straight out of the horses mouth there.  Plenty options came forward as it was a lucrative job at the time and we went with Levein :) 

1 minute ago, Morph said:

Paulo Sergio left because Hearts tried to shaft him financially after he won the cup.  Ridiculous to even think about criticising him when he went, he absolutely did not just walk out on us.  The guy absolutely loved it here, wanted to stay but we ****ed him about.  We should’ve IMO jumped at chance when he wanted to come back after all that.  5-1 cup winning legend but not sure about his ****ing staying power if he got successful :laugh: Seriously read back what you’re coming out with.  

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40832314

Straight out of the horses mouth there.  Plenty options came forward as it was a lucrative job at the time and we went with Levein :) 

We will have to agree to disagree on PS.  The facts show he left us with McGlynn and Locke in charge before things really went pear shaped.  Had PS not won that cup, our league form wasn't particularly spectacular, with a 5th place finish when we had a far bigger budget outside the old firm.

As for the manager, we were right back to square one after our preferred option, Dougie Freedman was gazumped.  Given the other names left on the table at that point, CL was probably the best option.

Nookie Bear
19 minutes ago, frankblack said:

And that isn't he point - the truth was that Dougie Freedman was going to get the job but Crystal Palace nabbed him for a DOF type role there.  Isn't it ironic that an EPL team wants a sporting director yet according to some they are a hinderance! :rofl:

Like Levein did?

And a PHM would have stepped in to help during our year after administration instead of waiting in the wings for more favourable conditions to operate in. 

Levein is as much a career-it’s as Paulo was. 

Edited by Nookie Bear

Nookie Bear

We will have to agree to disagree on PS.  The facts show he left us with McGlynn and Locke in charge before things really went pear shaped.  Had PS not won that cup, our league form wasn't particularly spectacular, with a 5th place finish when we had a far bigger budget outside the old firm.

As for the manager, we were right back to square one after our preferred option, Dougie Freedman was gazumped.  Given the other names left on the table at that point, CL was probably the best option.

Well it would have been if we were paying the players!

16 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Aye well just need to agree to disagree, we clearly look at that period of time very differently!

15 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Like Levein did?

And a PHM would have stepped in to help during our year after administration instead of waiting in the wings for more favourable conditions to operate in. 

Levein is as much a career-it’s as Paulo was. 

Was CL not contracted to the SFA at that time?

Levein did advise Ann Budge in the lead up to the purchase of the club.

14 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Well it would have been if we were paying the players!

One of us has got this wrong, but did we run into the payment issues before the 2012 cup final?  I thought those started the following season before Administration eventually happened.

Can’t understand why Levein & his Bootroom haven’t been given the boot. That game yesterday against 

an average Rangers team was pathetic, embarrassing & clueless. Our fans deserve better but Queen Ann 

stands by her man as I hear more and more fans not wanting to renew their season tickets unless Levein 

is sacked. Winning the Scottish Cup, against all odds, shouldn't save Levein in fact i’d love to see him out 

now. Who would I like brought in ........Michael Appleton.

We're all hurting by the performance of the likes of yesterday. CL must be feeling worse. I'm sure he must be planning a cull of players who have let him and the club doon, badly.

I hope he leads us to glory, because he deserves too.

Edited by ri Alban

Nookie Bear
23 minutes ago, frankblack said:

One of us has got this wrong, but did we run into the payment issues before the 2012 cup final?  I thought those started the following season before Administration eventually happened.

I’m going by Gary Locke’s interview where he talked about working with Sergio. 

Hands up if I’m wrong though!

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

We're all hurting by the performance of the likes of yesterday. CL must be feeling worse. I'm sure he must be planning a cull of players who have let him and the club doon, badly.

I hope he leads us to glory, because he deserves too.

On what basis do you think CL must be feeling worse. Anytime he is interviewed he is upbeat and it’s the players/officials fault. He picked the team and it’s his tactics. Look at who he gives long term contracts to- Uche, Vanacek, Dikamona - utter dross. Name one top flight club that has shown an interest in these players. CL is a million miles away from being a decent tactician.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
1 hour ago, frankblack said:

sergio did win the cup though

to remind u by beating Celtic in the semi-final and hibs 5-1 in the final - that's not even a once in a generation event - no league position (short of relegation) could dilute that

there are not many bigger games than a Celtic semi-final and hibs final and PS done the job

if levein wins the cup beating Celtic in the final he will receive masses of credit for it and rightly so and the league position and easy cup run will largely be forgotten 

what levein needs to do is what PS has already done - do u see the difference?

Thankfully i've only just noticed this thread. And it'll be the last visit to it.

Imagine where we would be if we didnt have Naismith for first half of the season and it was all left to Levein :rofl:

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
2 minutes ago, Prof said:

On what basis do you think CL must be feeling worse. Anytime he is interviewed he is upbeat and it’s the players/officials fault. He picked the team and it’s his tactics. Look at who he gives long term contracts to- Uche, Vanacek, Dikamona - utter dross. Name one top flight club that has shown an interest in these players. CL is a million miles away from being a decent tactician.

leveins post-match interviews are becoming slightly annoying like describing  we're only one mistake away from winning games when we clearly have lost before the kick off

how many times do we need to be multiple goals down to the old firm within half an hour before he stops talking like there's something marginal going on (or even worse just laughs it off)

8 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

sergio did win the cup though

to remind u by beating Celtic in the semi-final and hibs 5-1 in the final - that's not even a once in a generation event - no league position (short of relegation) could dilute that

there are not many bigger games than a Celtic semi-final and hibs final and PS done the job

if levein wins the cup beating Celtic in the final he will receive masses of credit for it and rightly so and the league position and easy cup run will largely be forgotten 

what levein needs to do is what PS has already done - do u see the difference?

:cornette_dog:

Yeah because the situations are so comparable.

The 2012 Hearts team were put together on a considerably larger budget than this current team.   Even with this budget he managed to get us to a storming 5th position in the league, behind St Johnstone IIRC.

Great players dinnae make great Managers, or "Directors of Football", whatever that is - we're stumbling backwards, nae vision/appetite/hunger - the most secure football job in Scotland, outside the weege :(  

37 minutes ago, Prof said:

Step away from the Keyboard. He's hurting, cause he's wan a us. That's how a know.

rick witter
2 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Step away from the Keyboard. He's hurting, cause he's wan a us. That's how a know.

**** him and **** his staff!!!! Losers. He will be getting told that on Friday at the bookies. Enough is enough