Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
iantjambo

***The Useless Trivia Thread***

Recommended Posts

iantjambo

Movies,music,sport. Whatever you want.

 

The first ever track on 'Now That's What I Call Music' was Phil Collins - You Can't Hurry Love.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Samuel Camazzola

The first video played on MTV was Video Killed The Radio Star by The Buggles. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Barack

The Dyslexia Research Centre, is in Reading.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dino Velvet

Kevin keegan only played 26 minutes of football for England at a World Cup. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Samuel Camazzola

Despite its popularity and amount of airtime over the years, Bryan Adams' Summer of '69' never got into the UK top 40.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jambos_1874

East Fife have won the Scottish Cup once.

 

 

(Learned that yesterday!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
felix
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Barack said:

The Dyslexia Research Centre, is in Reading.

That's brilliant .

Always wanted to believe Otis (lifts) were based there too ; urban myth apparently.

Siemens did have a main office in Staines tho' :smile:

Edited by felix

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Peebo

With the recent renaming of Astana (to Nur-Sultan), there is now only one capital city that means “capital city” in the local language. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lauriesrank
12 hours ago, iantjambo said:

Movies,music,sport. Whatever you want.

 

The first ever track on 'Now That's What I Call Music' was Phil Collins - You Can't Hurry Love.

I knew that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lauriesrank
12 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

The first video played on MTV was Video Killed The Radio Star by The Buggles. 

And that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Smithee
3 hours ago, Jambos_1874 said:

East Fife have won the Scottish Cup once.

 

 

(Learned that yesterday!)

Until hibs, they were the only team from outside the top division to win it - my stepdad's a fan.
 

My turn, I've mentioned this before, but the Dutch word for bagpipes is doedelzak. 

 

Great thread by the way, I love pointless shite

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Boof
1 hour ago, Peebo said:

With the recent renaming of Astana (to Nur-Sultan), there is now only one capital city that means “capital city” in the local language. 

 

Excellent bit of trivia...which one?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Smithee
1 minute ago, Boof said:

 

Excellent bit of trivia...which one?

I don't know but that reminds me, Dublin means Blackpool in English.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Peebo
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Boof said:

 

Excellent bit of trivia...which one?

It wouldn’t belong in the “useless” trivia thread if I told you! 

Edited by Peebo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Boof
5 minutes ago, Peebo said:

It wouldn’t belong in the “useless” trivia thread if I told you! 

 Useless  unknown 😋

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bridge of Djoum

The glue on the back of Israeli postage stamps is Kosher.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AlphonseCapone
1 hour ago, Peebo said:

It wouldn’t belong in the “useless” trivia thread if I told you! 

 

Seoul means capital but I guess that isn't the one if it's capital city specifically? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Samuel Camazzola

WD40 got its name as it was successfully created at the 40th attempt. The WD part stands for water displacement. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Morgan

No words in the English language rhyme with month,, orange, silver or purple.

 

Go on, try!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Morgan

The shark is the only fish that can blink with both eyes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Morgan

My sister-in-law is the same circumference as the Maybury roundabout.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
milky_26
32 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

 

Seoul means capital but I guess that isn't the one if it's capital city specifically? 

beijing i think means northern capital

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gorgiewave
3 hours ago, Peebo said:

With the recent renaming of Astana (to Nur-Sultan), there is now only one capital city that means “capital city” in the local language. 

According to wikipedia, it's on its 6th name in 189 years.

 

Established in 1830 as Akmoly
Renamed in 1832 to Akmolinsk
Renamed in 1961 to Tselinograd
Renamed in 1992 to Akmola
Renamed in 1998 to Astana
Renamed in 2019 to Nur-Sultan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
felix
13 minutes ago, Morgan said:

No words in the English language rhyme with month,, orange, silver or purple.

 

Go on, try!

It's a QI question - hurple and curple, rhyme with purple.

Not from QI -but intramonth rhymes with month !

 

The best QI one for me was if you drop a bullet from your hand and fire one from a gun, held at the same height, and at the same time -  both bullets will hit the ground at exactly the same time. Not really trivia, more physics , but took me a while.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
milky_26
2 minutes ago, felix said:

It's a QI question - hurple and curple, rhyme with purple.

Not from QI -but intramonth rhymes with month !

 

The best QI one for me was if you drop a bullet from your hand and fire one from a gun, held at the same height, and at the same time -  both bullets will hit the ground at exactly the same time. Not really trivia, more physics , but took me a while.

on a similar note to the bullet one. if you fire a gun on the moon and the bullet is travelling fast enough and there is nothing in its way it will go round the moon and hit the person who fired the gun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
whodanny
23 minutes ago, Morgan said:

My sister-in-law is the same circumference as the Maybury roundabout.

:rofl:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FWJ

There was once a hotel at the top of Ben Nevis.

 

Not including charity singles, the only act to appear twice in the top ten best-selling singles of all time in the U.K. are Boney M.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Morgan
22 minutes ago, whodanny said:

:rofl:

Strange but true.

 

Honest it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Samuel Camazzola
21 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Strange but true.

 

Honest it is.

Is she no stranger to a 'munch box'? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Morgan
Just now, Samuel Camazzola said:

Is she no stranger to a 'munch box'? 

She invented them.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Morgan

Queue is the only word in the English language that is pronounced the same once you have removed the last four letters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Samuel Camazzola
3 minutes ago, Morgan said:

She invented them.

 

 

😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
whodanny
45 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Strange but true.

 

Honest it is.

You have mentioned it once or twice before to be fair. 😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AlphonseCapone
20 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Queue is the only word in the English language that is pronounced the same once you have removed the last four letters.

 

It actually pisses me off that word. What is the ****ing point in those extra letters? Stupid ****ing word. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Morgan
Just now, whodanny said:

You have mentioned it once or twice before to be fair. 😄

There’s no hiding from it Danny.

 

She was here last week, it was not a pretty sight.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RobboM
1 minute ago, AlphonseCapone said:

 

It actually pisses me off that word. What is the ****ing point in those extra letters? Stupid ****ing word. 


Que?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Morgan
1 minute ago, AlphonseCapone said:

 

It actually pisses me off that word. What is the ****ing point in those extra letters? Stupid ****ing word. 

I agree Al.

 

Worse still though when folk spell it ‘cue’ or, even worse, ‘que’.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
whodanny
Just now, Morgan said:

There’s no hiding from it Danny.

 

She was here last week, it was not a pretty sight.

 

 

You could maybe hide behind it though ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Morgan
1 minute ago, RobboM said:


Que?

Mind reader!  :wink: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Morgan
Just now, whodanny said:

You could maybe hide behind it though ?

:rofl: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
milky_26
1 hour ago, Morgan said:

She invented them.

 

 

would that be more of a munchie skip?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Morgan
2 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

would that be more of a munchie skip?

You’ve met her?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alex
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Morgan said:

No words in the English language rhyme with month,, orange, silver or purple.

 

Go on, try!

Never mind.

Edited by Alex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ri Alban
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Morgan said:

No words in the English language rhyme with month,, orange, silver or purple.

 

Go on, try!

What's orange and sounds like a parrot?

 

A carrot.

 

Salver

Turtle

******

:rofl:

 

Edited by ri Alban

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Morgan
2 minutes ago, Alex said:

Never mind.

You just realised that ‘hurple’ Is a Scottish noun didn’t you?

 

:thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Morgan
1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

What's orange and sounds like a parrot?

 

A carrot.

 

Salver

Turtle

******

 

:cheer1:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Peebo
3 hours ago, AlphonseCapone said:

 

Seoul means capital but I guess that isn't the one if it's capital city specifically? 

Seoul is the one I mean 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Peebo
2 hours ago, Gorgiewave said:

According to wikipedia, it's on its 6th name in 189 years.

 

Established in 1830 as Akmoly
Renamed in 1832 to Akmolinsk
Renamed in 1961 to Tselinograd
Renamed in 1992 to Akmola
Renamed in 1998 to Astana
Renamed in 2019 to Nur-Sultan

Yeah, when there, google and various apps still think you’re in Tselinograd. 

 

In current form (as the newly-built capital in ex-Soviet era), it was called Astana. The renaming was inevitable (when the president resigned/died).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
All roads lead to Gorgie

A Slow Worm is neither a worm nor a snake, it is a lizard withoot any legs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Smithee
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, felix said:

It's a QI question - hurple and curple, rhyme with purple.

Not from QI -but intramonth rhymes with month !

 

The best QI one for me was if you drop a bullet from your hand and fire one from a gun, held at the same height, and at the same time -  both bullets will hit the ground at exactly the same time. Not really trivia, more physics , but took me a while.

That can't be right. They'll maybe both be at the same speed when they land, but the one fired will accelerate to top speed much faster and get there first.

 

Edit - wait, unless you're talking about firing the gun horizontally, in which case of course, that makes sense

Edited by Smithee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×