***The Useless Trivia Thread***

iantjambo

5 hours ago, Hampden Demolition said:

If you walk south from Detroit, you will end up in Canada.

You'll end up a bit wet first though :whistling: 

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• Unknown user

• Samuel Camazzola

• FWJ

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, FWJ said:

The signage at Wallsend Metro Station in Newcastle is in English and Latin.

(Wallsend = Hadrian’s Wall)

:sad: 

Unknown user
6 hours ago, Hampden Demolition said:

If you walk south from Detroit, you will end up in Canada.

If you walk south from Mindrum in Northumberland you'll end up in Scotland. 

On 14/04/2019 at 13:35, Morgan said:

My sister-in-law is the same circumference as the Maybury roundabout.

Didn't know this :thumbsup:

Personally I've always found "Wide as the Clyde" to have a better ring to it but thats probably an underestimation going by your posts ?

2 minutes ago, Thommo414 said:

Didn't know this :thumbsup:

Personally I've always found "Wide as the Clyde" to have a better ring to it but thats probably an underestimation going by your posts ?

Yeah, her house is known as Burger King.

The home of the Whopper.

Samuel Camazzola
2 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

True dat! And in keeping with that, Reno Nevada is further west that Los Angeles California.

Edinburgh is further west than Cardiff. 

Салатные палочки

Superb thread. 

In 1983, Adidas took Irish sportswear brand O'Neill's to the Irish Supreme Court to try and stop them using three stripes on their shirts. Adidas lost and O'Neill's are permitted to this day to use the three stripes on their shirts and Sportswear that is used and sold in Ireland only. 

1 hour ago, Salad Fingers said:

Superb thread. 

In 1983, Adidas took Irish sportswear brand O'Neill's to the Irish Supreme Court to try and stop them using three stripes on their shirts. Adidas lost and O'Neill's are permitted to this day to use the three stripes on their shirts and Sportswear that is used and sold in Ireland only. 

There doesn't seem to be much with three stripes on their site.  They do personalised 'half and half' gaelic football shirts though. You can have one with both halves from the same team, with two badges, sponsor's logo etc. 

haha.jpg

5 hours ago, FWJ said:

The signage at Wallsend Metro Station in Newcastle is in English and Latin.

(Wallsend = Hadrian’s Wall)

Don't know why.

"Proper" Romans didn't speak Latin.

Roman bigwigs spoke Ancient Greek as they saw themselves as the inheritors of the Athenian ideal.

Latin was for the plebs.

43 minutes ago, Cade said:

Don't know why.

"Proper" Romans didn't speak Latin.

Roman bigwigs spoke Ancient Greek as they saw themselves as the inheritors of the Athenian ideal.

Latin was for the plebs.

What?  All those hours with ecce romani just to make me sound common?

I’m off to the seethe thread....

6 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

True dat! And in keeping with that, Reno Nevada is further west that Los Angeles California.

3 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Damn. I should have finished reading the thread before I posted my spookily identical post. 

Unknown user
7 minutes ago, Tazio said:

What's really interesting is that it's debatable, I posted this on a similar thread a while ago and had it explained that it wasn't necessarily the case, it depends on how you measure it.

On 14/04/2019 at 16:11, Morgan said:

You just realised that ‘hurple’ Is a Scottish noun didn’t you?

:thumbsup:

Hmm does that make me seem less or more stupid than admitting I hadn't spotted Felix's post?

Unknown user
On 14/04/2019 at 13:33, Morgan said:

No words in the English language rhyme with month,, orange, silver or purple.

Go on, try!

This is the closest I can get

1b97673b977652cdf32efc6be79652ea.jpg

On 14/04/2019 at 13:33, Morgan said:

No words in the English language rhyme with month,, orange, silver or purple.

Go on, try!

Discombobulated.

Samuel Camazzola
6 hours ago, Smithee said:

What's really interesting is that it's debatable, I posted this on a similar thread a while ago and had it explained that it wasn't necessarily the case, it depends on how you measure it.

I'm sure it was detailed to me that in terms of longitude and latitude, Edinburgh is more westerly. 

Салатные палочки
9 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

There doesn't seem to be much with three stripes on their site.  They do personalised 'half and half' gaelic football shirts though. You can have one with both halves from the same team, with two badges, sponsor's logo etc. 

haha.jpg

Tends to be used more on their GAA stuff although they did use it on their football shirts in the 80s and 90s.

They have some crazy shirts as well, with giraffes etc on them. 

Unknown user
3 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I'm sure it was detailed to me that in terms of longitude and latitude, Edinburgh is more westerly. 

I think it was one of the seafarers on here who explained it, I'll do my best..

The distance between the longitudinal lines gets smaller as you go further north (you can see this best on a globe) so travelling 1 degree west at the equator is a much bigger distance than 1 degree from Edinburgh. 

So although in numbers Cardiff is 3.179° west and Edinburgh 3.1883° west, Cardiff is further in miles from the meridian.

I think.

Samuel Camazzola
4 hours ago, Smithee said:

The distance between the longitudinal lines gets smaller as you go further north (you can see this best on a globe) so travelling 1 degree west at the equator is a much bigger distance than 1 degree from Edinburgh. 

So although in numbers Cardiff is 3.179° west and Edinburgh 3.1883° west, Cardiff is further in miles from the meridian.

I think.

I'll trust your explanation until someone can convince me otherwise. :thumbs_up:

18 hours ago, Salad Fingers said:

Superb thread. 

Spot on, and if you're trying to buy shirts from O'Neill's website, it will ask you for your postcode.  If you're outside of Ireland, it will tell you that you can only buy the international version of the shirt - which don't have the 3 stripes!

I've got a couple of County Down shirts bought for me as presents from my girlfriend, and only one of them has the authentic 3 stripes because it was bought in the Republic!

ONeills.png

15 hours ago, Alex said:

Hmm does that make me seem less or more stupid than admitting I hadn't spotted Felix's post?

Apologies ?

I jumped the gun without seeing the other post.  

My mistake.

10 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Discombobulated.

Good try!

I’m now confused and disconcerted.

luckyBatistuta

In 1923 jockey Frank Hayes won a race at Belmont Park in New York...despite being dead. He suffered a heart attack mid-racebut his body stayed in the saddle until the horse crossed the line, to win the race at 20/1.

7 hours ago, Smithee said:

I think.

Hmm.  I don't think so.

"Westness" is defined by the number of degrees of longitude and that doesn't change with latitude.  So a location with a higher number is, by definition, further west.

luckyBatistuta

The tiny parasite Toxoplasma Gondii can only breed sexually within the guts of a cat. When it infects rats, it changes their behaviour to make them less scared of cats.

25 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

In 1923 jockey Frank Hayes won a race at Belmont Park in New York...despite being dead. He suffered a heart attack mid-racebut his body stayed in the saddle until the horse crossed the line, to win the race at 20/1.

IIRC they had to change the rules after that as they stated for a horse to win it needed a jockey in the saddle. There was nothing about them having to be alive, so this had to be added

luckyBatistuta
1 minute ago, milky_26 said:

IIRC they had to change the rules after that as they stated for a horse to win it needed a jockey in the saddle. There was nothing about them having to be alive, so this had to be added

You knew about this ?

Bet the commentator was glad he didn’t have to call the race a dead heat.

24 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Hmm.  I don't think so.

"Westness" is defined by the number of degrees of longitude and that doesn't change with latitude.  So a location with a higher number is, by definition, further west.

nope here is a quick table to show the actual distance between longitudinal values at differing latitudes  

φ Δ1
lat
Δ1
long
110.574 km 111.320 km
15° 110.649 km 107.551 km
30° 110.852 km 96.486 km
45° 111.133 km 78.847 km
60° 111.412 km 55.800 km
75° 111.618 km 28.902 km
90° 111.694 km 0.000 km

Hampden Demolition

If you lift a Kangaroos tail off the ground, it can’t hop.

In Uganda, around 48% of the population is under 15 years old.

The last letter added to the alphabet was J, not Z.

luckyBatistuta
1 minute ago, Hampden Demolition said:

If you lift a Kangaroos tail off the ground, it can’t hop.

In Uganda, around 48% of the population is under 15 years old.

The last letter added to the alphabet was J, not Z.

Never knew that about Kangaroos. I know they’ve got three vaginas though?

The chances of a shuffled pack of cards in the history of card shuffles past/present and future ever resulting in the same combination of 52 cards is almost 0. 

Unknown user
1 hour ago, Maple Leaf said:

Hmm.  I don't think so.

As I originally said, what's interesting about that fact is it's debatable, Cardiff is a longer distance west of the meridian (137 miles to Edinburgh's 124), while Edinburgh is more west by longitude.

1 hour ago, milky_26 said:

nope here is a quick table to show the actual distance between longitudinal values at differing latitudes  

φ Δ1
lat
Δ1
long
110.574 km 111.320 km
15° 110.649 km 107.551 km
30° 110.852 km 96.486 km
45° 111.133 km 78.847 km
60° 111.412 km 55.800 km
75° 111.618 km 28.902 km
90° 111.694 km 0.000 km

33 minutes ago, Smithee said:

As I originally said, what's interesting about that fact is it's debatable, Cardiff is a longer distance west of the meridian (137 miles to Edinburgh's 124), while Edinburgh is more west by longitude.

Interesting discussion.  What was stated is that Edinburgh is further west than Cardiff, NOT what is the furthest from the prime meridian, and you can't ignore the latitude factor in that question. 

Let me try it this way, taking the discussion to reductio ad absurdum:

Let's assume that Cardiff is 50 miles from the Prime Meridian.  Now let's travel all the way north until we're 10 feet away from the north pole, where all the lines of longitude are very close.  At this location, Los Angeles is only a few feet away from the Prime Meridian.

Does that mean Cardiff is further west than Los Angeles? Of course it isn't, and we arrived at that incorrect conclusion by ignoring the latitude factor.  And that's the same error that's being made when discussing Cardiff/Edinburgh.

In summary.  Edinburgh is further west than Cardiff, but Cardiff is closer to the PM.  The two statements are not contradictory.

Unknown user
9 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Interesting discussion.  What was stated is that Edinburgh is further west than Cardiff, NOT what is the furthest from the prime meridian, and you can't ignore the latitude factor in that question. 

Let me try it this way, taking the discussion to reductio ad absurdum:

Let's assume that Cardiff is 50 miles from the Prime Meridian.  Now let's travel all the way north until we're 10 feet away from the north pole, where all the lines of longitude are very close.  At this location, Los Angeles is only a few feet away from the Prime Meridian.

Does that mean Cardiff is further west than Los Angeles? Of course it isn't, and we arrived at that incorrect conclusion by ignoring the latitude factor.  And that's the same error that's being made when discussing Cardiff/Edinburgh.

In summary.  Edinburgh is further west than Cardiff, but Cardiff is closer to the PM.  The two statements are not contradictory.

The two aren't contradictory indeed, the only real debate is one of definition. When we talk of distance we talk in miles, I've never heard anyone say "go west for about 3.21°" and Glasgow's 45 miles west of Edinburgh, not 1.065° west. 

2 minutes ago, tian447 said:

giphy.gif

:laugh: no danger, UA's a bruiser!

1 sperm has 37.5MB of DNA information in it.  Therefore, an average ejaculation transfers 1587GB in 3 seconds. 

6 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

1 sperm has 37.5MB of DNA information in it.  Therefore, an average ejaculation transfers 1587GB in 3 seconds. 

Surely that depends on how big your hard drive is?