***The Useless Trivia Thread***

iantjambo

AlphonseCapone
3 minutes ago, Morgan said:

More people are killed annually by donkeys than in airline crashes.

More donkeys are killed annually by airline crashes than people. 

Made that up but it would be a good one...

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• Unknown user

• Samuel Camazzola

• FWJ

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

All roads lead to Gorgie
2 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Funny that, I didn't have hibs Paul Hanlon down as particularly dangerous ?

Samuel Camazzola
28 minutes ago, Morgan said:

More people are killed each year by falling coconuts than airline crashes. 

1 hour ago, Smithee said:

That can't be right. They'll maybe both be at the same speed when they land, but the one fired will accelerate to top speed much faster and get there first.

Edit - wait, unless you're talking about firing the gun horizontally, in which case of course, that makes sense

Yep - fire gun horizontally - drop bullet vertically - both land simultaneously  .

Took me a while to fathom this, but physics wasn't my strong suit.

2 minutes ago, FWJ said:

An ounce of gold weighs more than an ounce of feathers.

But a pound of gold weighs less than a pound of feathers.

I can't make head nor tail of that!!

Unknown user

I can't make head nor tail of that!!

I'm guessing that gold weights and regular weights aren't the same thing

2 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Ah, ok!

Professor Smith as usual, comes up trumps!  :clap: 

4 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Yup, gold is weighed in ‘Troy’ measures.  A Troy ounce is bigger than an ordinary ounce, but there are only 12 in a Troy pound.

Unknown user

Ah, ok!

Professor Smith as usual, comes up trumps!  :clap: 

:laugh: I've been called worse to be fair

Unknown user
1 minute ago, FWJ said:

Yup, gold is weighed in ‘Troy’ measures.  A Troy ounce is bigger than an ordinary ounce, but there are only 12 in a Troy pound.

Live and learn eh?

5 minutes ago, FWJ said:

Every day is a school day for Professor @Smithee and myself!!

43 minutes ago, felix said:

Yep - fire gun horizontally - drop bullet vertically - both land simultaneously  .

Took me a while to fathom this, but physics wasn't my strong suit.

I'd argue that, due to the earth's curvature, the fired bullet would fall a greater vertical distance (think Newton's cannonball) and thus hit after the dropped bullet.

As an aside my phone auto-corrected earth's curvature to Sarah's curvature which might be a more appealing visual image :lol:

Just now, Boof said:

I'd argue that, due to the earth's curvature, the fired bullet would fall a greater vertical distance (think Newton's cannonball) and thus hit after the dropped bullet.

As an aside my phone auto-corrected earth's curvature to Sarah's curvature which might be a more appealing visual image :lol:

Frantically Googling 'Sarah's curvature".  :) 

Frantically Googling 'Sarah's curvature".  :) 

I don't think it's in my search history... :lol:

4 minutes ago, Boof said:

not if morgans sister in law is called sarah

A bit too current but full England international Declan Rice was named Ireland's young player of the year for 2018/19. A great one for the future when he's got 20+ caps.

45 minutes ago, Boof said:

I don't think it's in my search history... :lol:

It’s in mine now though.  :whistling:

8 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

Until 2011,  beer was classed as a soft drink in Russia.

Never heard that one before, but it doesn’t surprise me in the slightest!

:cheers:

48 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

not if morgans sister in law is called sarah

:lol: 

For future reference, she’s called Bloater.

1 hour ago, Boof said:

I'd argue that, due to the earth's curvature, the fired bullet would fall a greater vertical distance (think Newton's cannonball) and thus hit after the dropped bullet

Yes , you're right - even in the short distance an average bullet would travel (just over a mile) the curvature of the earth  would make a small difference, but over a flat surface - a bullet fired and a bullet dropped,  both hit the ground at exactly same time.

I'm sure one of these programmes like Braniacs tried it out in an aircraft hangar ,  just to prove the point.

..and yes - couldn't help be curious about  Sarah's curvature. Nothing to do with Morgan's sister in law apparently - more about back pain :sad3:

19 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Labradors are more vicious than Pitbull Terriers............ apparently. 

..calling pitbullsh!t on that one :smiley2:

6 hours ago, Morgan said:

No words in the English language rhyme with month,, orange, silver or purple.

Go on, try!

OK.

Orange, hinge?

30 minutes ago, felix said:

Yes , you're right - even in the short distance an average bullet would travel (just over a mile) the curvature of the earth  would make a small difference, but over a flat surface - a bullet fired and a bullet dropped,  both hit the ground at exactly same time.

I'm sure one of these programmes like Braniacs tried it out in an aircraft hangar ,  just to prove the point.

..and yes - couldn't help be curious about  Sarah's curvature. Nothing to do with Morgan's sister in law apparently - more about back pain :sad3:

https://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/columns/straight-dope/article/13039128/do-snipers-compensate-for-the-earthrsquos-rotation-what-the-coriolis

30 minutes ago, felix said:

I read that on here so it must be true! 

1 hour ago, Dawnrazor said:

I read that on here so it must be true! 

Yeah , I read it on here as well.

Didn't believe it tbh -  double checked and there's a survey posted based on insurance claims & dog bites. Turns out labs and collies are the most dangerous dogs. Strange what you learn on JKB.

12 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Sharks only attack humans if they're wet. 

Bad news for Marti, Marti, Marti,

3 hours ago, felix said:

They are, they do something to your eyesight. How many blind men have you seen with a Pitbull?

If you could suck water high enough, vertically, through a very long straw, the water in the straw would boil when it got to over 30 feet.

Unknown user
25 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

If you could suck water high enough, vertically, through a very long straw, the water in the straw would boil when it got to over 30 feet.

Is that right? I assume it won't raise the temperature to 100° so does the suction required to lift the water that far turn water liquid into vapour? Is that what boiling actually means?

19 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Is that right? I assume it won't raise the temperature to 100° so does the suction required to lift the water that far turn water liquid into vapour? Is that what boiling actually means?

It's something to do with the pressure involved lowering the boiling point, but I'd imagine it must be all hypothetical.

queensferryjambo
18 hours ago, Jambos_1874 said:

East Fife have won the Scottish Cup once.

(Learned that yesterday!)

When East Fife won the Scottish Cup the first game was a draw and then went to a replay. East Fife took Heart of Midlothian's very own Johnny Harvey on a one game loan for the replay of the final and went on to win the cup. Not a bad wee number for Johnny, one game and one Scottish Cup winners medal :)

East Fife were also the first team in Scotland to win 3 league cups. Which when I was told that did not believe but it is 100% true.

6 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

It's something to do with the pressure involved lowering the boiling point, but I'd imagine it must be all hypothetical.

I remember reading that if you’re very high up a mountain (Himalayas / Andes) boiling water to kill germs won’t necessarily work because the water boils at too low a temperature.

17 minutes ago, FWJ said:

I remember reading that if you’re very high up a mountain (Himalayas / Andes) boiling water to kill germs won’t necessarily work because the water boils at too low a temperature.

Water boils at about 72°C at the top of Everest. At that temperature about 99.999% of bacteria will be dead or deactivated in a minute or less.

14 hours ago, FWJ said:

The only land border between France and The Netherlands is in the Caribbean.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Martin

I think I like this one the best, just because of the fact it seems like nonsense before you go and look at what territories are spread over the World! 

For the same reasons, there are parts of South America, Africa and the Pacific Islands that are in the European Union and use the Euro as their official currency! 

13 hours ago, felix said:

Yeah , I read it on here as well.

Didn't believe it tbh -  double checked and there's a survey posted based on insurance claims & dog bites. Turns out labs and collies are the most dangerous dogs. Strange what you learn on JKB.

They happen to be among the most popular of breeds in the UK so statistically are possibly no more likely to attack than any other breed.  

You can build standard Lego bricks up to over 3500 metres tall, before the weight will destroy the bottom blocks.

5 hours ago, Hampden Demolition said:

If you walk south from Detroit, you will end up in Canada.

True dat! And in keeping with that, Reno Nevada is further west that Los Angeles California.

The Vatican bank is the only bank in the world that allows ATM users to carry out their transactions in Latin.

5 minutes ago, Morgan said:

The Vatican bank is the only bank in the world that allows ATM users to carry out their transactions in Latin.

The signage at Wallsend Metro Station in Newcastle is in English and Latin.

(Wallsend = Hadrian’s Wall)