Hampdump

132goals1958

132goals1958
19 minutes ago, stranraer-jambo said:

With £19m liabilities. 

They will need a few more philanthropists to discharge that debt but more likely bury their heads in the sand and hope it disappears

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• upgotheheads

• Darren

• Libertarian

• 132goals1958

The place is an absolute ****ing slum. About all its good for is demolition for housing. 

Punt it to a house builder, use cash to try and buy a stake in Murrayfield -> redevelop Murrayfield at a later date in conjunction with SRU. 

Must say, last time I was there was 2nd April 2006 and it seemed OK to me.  Only drawback was the lack of atmosphere due to one of the sides turning up with hardly any supporters.  Even worse, the few who did turn up pissed off with over 20 minutes to go.

Can't blame the SFA for that.  Same culprits were at it again 6 years later.

3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Leave Hampden alone. Shove Murrayfield up your arse.

As in leave it alone without any redevelopment?!

6 minutes ago, kila said:

As someone who attends Hampden regularly, I'm more interested in the match day infrastructure than redevelopment of the actual stadium.

They need to fix the local transport links and/or create a local fanzone.  They need to get people in to the ground more quickly - the queues are always a disgrace.  They need to get people to and from Glasgow more easily - often it's a fight to get on the last train or bus.  There needs to be more buses and more trains with more carriages.

The ground itself needs looked at, but I don't think immediately.  She has a few years left in her yet.  Not the best ground as far as viewing, but I don't think Murrayfield is really a football ground for me.

I'd like the national stadium to be in the capital, but if this isn't really costing the country money (due to benefactors), remaining at Hampden is probably the right choice.

upgotheheads

Lower the Pitch about 20 feet. Square off the ends and extend the North and South stands to the pitch side. Build a light rail system from Central station to the ground. This would probably give a capacity of around 60 to 70 thousand and cost about a billion, or 7 Eden Hazards approx.

Or: sell the ground for housing, Build a new stadium at Strathclyde country Park, already well served with motorway access. Design the stadium with two or three tiers and steepest possible seating so that it's capacity could be between 25 and 80 thousand while still maintaining an atmosphere. Cost could be approximately 5 Eden Hazards. 

PS, all cost estimates right aff the the tap o' ma heid.

13 hours ago, kila said:

So does that mean Queens Park have agreed a price? Amazing how long this has gone on for.

Interview with Maxwell indicated the legal work to agree the sale was substantial. 

Libertarian

Hampden is an absolute dump and needs at least 3 new stands and there simply isn't the money available to do this. 

1 minute ago, upgotheheads said:

Lower the Pitch about 20 feet. 

Hampden has underground structures (ie. Busses can drive underneath the South stand with player entrances away from the public).

Not sure how easy this would be to achieve.

132goals1958
31 minutes ago, Mysterion said:

Interview with Maxwell indicated the legal work to agree the sale was substantial. 

They had to go cap in hand to Huaghey and Hunter, for relatively buttons and bolts in the larger scheme of things, and are  in hock to the National Lottery for £19 million. I think the Council have a floating charge for funding on the last redevelopment. It sums up the total incompetence that they have gone ahead with the purchase without any blueprint, feasibility  study or business plan. Maxwell,s response to where the money to redevelop the stadium was coming from  " That,s a slightly different question and will require a bit of support."  The long standing home of amateurism remains unchanged.

1 hour ago, kila said:

Total waste of money to redevelop Hampden. 

Very few good seats but it's good enough. Spend the money on grassroots facilities and coaching.

Could also fund grass hybrid pitches for everyone for example. 

Edited by Mikey1874

3 hours ago, upgotheheads said:

Or: sell the ground for housing, Build a new stadium at Strathclyde country Park, already well served with motorway access.

Other than motorway access, nothing else in place to support a national football stadium.

Hampden is by far one of the worst stadiums I've ever been to.  It's an absolutely shambolic layout and in desperate need of being sorted out once and for all.  You can tell how dated it is, even just with the layout of the Stadium.

The concourse is a deathtrap, and if there were anything that ever required a stadium evacuation, people inside would be absolutely humped.  Even at half-time, when a lot of people remain in their seats, you can't move on the concourse and it's absolutely jam-packed.  People in wheelchairs can't safely navigate through the crowds, and it must be a nightmare for people with young children.  It takes 20 minutes just to get into the toilets for a piss ffs.  Imagine if everyone needed to get out of there at once...?  There is no chance it could happen safely.

It's also in a horrific location in Glasgow.  Getting there requires a photographic memory of the Glasgow public transport system, and dealing with infrastructure that looks like it was acquired on the cheap after the dissolution of the USSR.    That's just getting to the stadium; at full time, you'll be easily waiting in a 2 mile queue to get to the train stations, the buses can't move because of the volume of people, and it's a solid 45 minute walk if you can't be humped with queuing and waiting.

It's beyond renovation.  It needs taken down, relocated and redone entirely.  The National Stadium should also be in the Capital City, but that's a completely other debate!

Libertarian
2 minutes ago, tian447 said:

Hampden is by far one of the worst stadiums I've ever been to.  It's an absolutely shambolic layout and in desperate need of being sorted out once and for all.  You can tell how dated it is, even just with the layout of the Stadium.

The concourse is a deathtrap, and if there were anything that ever required a stadium evacuation, people inside would be absolutely humped.  Even at half-time, when a lot of people remain in their seats, you can't move on the concourse and it's absolutely jam-packed.  People in wheelchairs can't safely navigate through the crowds, and it must be a nightmare for people with young children.  It takes 20 minutes just to get into the toilets for a piss ffs.  Imagine if everyone needed to get out of there at once...?  There is no chance it could happen safely.

It's also in a horrific location in Glasgow.  Getting there requires a photographic memory of the Glasgow public transport system, and dealing with infrastructure that looks like it was acquired on the cheap after the dissolution of the USSR.    That's just getting to the stadium; at full time, you'll be easily waiting in a 2 mile queue to get to the train stations, the buses can't move because of the volume of people, and it's a solid 45 minute walk if you can't be humped with queuing and waiting.

It's beyond renovation.  It needs taken down, relocated and redone entirely.  The National Stadium should also be in the Capital City, but that's a completely other debate!

Absolutely agree with everything here.

Heartsofgold
4 minutes ago, tian447 said:

100% this.  The Concourse at the back of the North Stand is a disgrace.  My 9 year old daughter was separated from me on the concourse during half time at the semi final.  Fortunately she's got quite a sensible head and managed to make her way to the side and waited for me to find her but by Christ it was a scary place to try and move around in.

upgotheheads
28 minutes ago, Darren said:

Other than motorway access, nothing else in place to support a national football stadium.

Do you mean pubs?

11 minutes ago, tian447 said:

Apart from that it's okay though.

20 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

Do you mean pubs?

Public transport would be the primary issue.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
35 minutes ago, tian447 said:

My thoughts, too. 

Horatio Caine
8 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Leave Hampden alone. Shove Murrayfield up your arse.

Are you Willie Haughey?

2 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Apart from that it's okay though.

:lol:

Photos I took of the semi v Celtic at Murrayfield and final at Hampden, already posted these in another thread but they give a good visual guide to how bad Hampden is behind the goals.

I preferred Murrayfield all round, from being closer to the pitch to facilities etc.

a.thumb.jpg.60f6a561a61674c8d7dd824a5b5ccbe4.jpg

b.thumb.jpg.80bdd72d868f0c33391b95657f768ff0.jpg

c.thumb.jpg.8fbc63770c782191b4eccd66c9ab7b88.jpg

d.thumb.jpg.c753742f8383357588676ca6bc366567.jpg

7 hours ago, 132goals1958 said:

They had to go cap in hand to Huaghey and Hunter, for relatively buttons and bolts in the larger scheme of things, and are  in hock to the National Lottery for £19 million. I think the Council have a floating charge for funding on the last redevelopment. It sums up the total incompetence that they have gone ahead with the purchase without any blueprint, feasibility  study or business plan. Maxwell,s response to where the money to redevelop the stadium was coming from  " That,s a slightly different question and will require a bit of support."  The long standing home of amateurism remains unchanged.

You can guarantee that it’ll continue to be an absolute midden of a place for the foreseeable future then. No finance in place,  no business plan in place. What a shambles.

The lack of public transport is hurting it. I would have gone to the Cypress game if it had been 5pm but at 7.45pm it’s a pain to have to queue for trains and hope you make the last one from Queen Street. 

upgotheheads
5 hours ago, Darren said:

Public transport would be the primary issue.

Both Hamilton and Motherwell stations are closer to SCP than Glasgow Central and Queen Street to Hampden 

Watt-Zeefuik

Hampden's glory days were as terraced stadium.

Should go back to terraces (safe standing).

For international games where all-seaters are required, use one of the other three 50k+ stadiums in Scotland.

Let Hampden be a 100k+ stadium with 30k seats and 70k standing tickets and use it for cup ties and games against England.

3 minutes ago, Ugly American said:

Hampden's glory days were as terraced stadium.

Should go back to terraces (safe standing).

For international games where all-seaters are required, use one of the other three 50k+ stadiums in Scotland.

Let Hampden be a 100k+ stadium with 30k seats and 70k standing tickets and use it for cup ties and games against England.

I've heard a lot of worse ideas than that.

57 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

Both Hamilton and Motherwell stations are closer to SCP than Glasgow Central and Queen Street to Hampden 

There are three stations within easy walking distance of Hampden. 

Unknown user
1 hour ago, Darren said:

Well yeah, but local lines only, they're not much use to normal people.

53 minutes ago, Smithee said:

So we've decided Strathclyde Country Park is the ideal location for a new national stadium then?

Unknown user
5 minutes ago, Darren said:

So we've decided Strathclyde Country Park is the ideal location for a new national stadium then?

Do you think I'm the other guy or something?

I'm just saying those three stations are basically useless unless you live on that local line, nothing more, nothing less.

upgotheheads
11 hours ago, Darren said:

And all of them are a nightmare when it comes to getting to and from Central on a busy matchday. A new development at Strathclyde Country park with its Motorway access and reasonably near stations would make access easier from all areas of Scotland, especially Edinburgh, Stirling, Perth and Dundee. It would probably be necessary to develop dedicated routes from Hamilton/Motherwell stations  but big developments, like National Football stadiums usually include these anyway. 

upgotheheads
9 hours ago, Darren said:

I think you're confusing Smithee with me. As far as I can tell I'm the only one who's decided SCP would be an ideal location, and I've thought so for a while.  

TyphoonJambo
10 hours ago, Darren said:

No way, half the population of the Weedge were concieved there. Where would they copulate if you built a big stadium smack bang in the middle of thier west coast love island? 

Unknown user
54 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

And all of them are a nightmare when it comes to getting to and from Central on a busy matchday. A new development at Strathclyde Country park with its Motorway access and reasonably near stations would make access easier from all areas of Scotland, especially Edinburgh, Stirling, Perth and Dundee. It would probably be necessary to develop dedicated routes from Hamilton/Motherwell stations  but big developments, like National Football stadiums usually include these anyway. 

It's not a terrible idea, in an ideal world I probably favour Stirling or thereabouts for the neutrality and ease of access, but I can see why SCP could maybe be a weegie enough compromise for the SFA.

11 hours ago, Smithee said:

Do you think I'm the other guy or something?

I'm just saying those three stations are basically useless unless you live on that local line, nothing more, nothing less.

They take you into Glasgow city centre?

1 hour ago, upgotheheads said:

What makes you think the two railway stations near SCP would be any better than those three on a match day? Also, where in the park are you putting the stadium? How likely do you reckon it would be to get planning permission?

Stirling is an equally bonkers idea. You need infrastructure around these stadiums that goes beyond a railway station and a motorway.

Unknown user
Just now, Darren said:

They take you into Glasgow city centre?

What makes you think the two railway stations near SCP would be any better than those three on a match day? Also, where in the park are you putting the stadium? How likely do you reckon it would be to get planning permission?

Stirling is an equally bonkers idea. You need infrastructure around these stadiums that goes beyond a railway station and a motorway.

They take a small amount of people into Glasgow central where they can catch an actual train. That line was built for commuting traffic not the numbers we're talking about, which is why you rarely hear people talk about the train from Mount Florida in their Hampden stories.

Stirling has private and public transport links for the majority of Scotland's population, what infrastructure is it missing that wouldn't be included in a national stadium build?

OmiyaHearts
12 hours ago, Smithee said:

They are all have regular direct trains from Glasgow Central. Mount Florida services are almost every 15 minutes (sometimes ten mins) and extra trains are put on for semis and finals. It's as easy to get to as Ibrox or Celtic Park.

Not to mention the 5 or 6 bus services that can also take you there. It's ridiculously easy to get to Hampden. 

1 minute ago, Smithee said:

Stirling has private and public transport links for the majority of Scotland's population, what infrastructure is it missing that wouldn't be included in a national stadium build?

Stirling isn't big enough to deal with major international events.

There's not enough accommodation. There's not enough pubs. There's not enough restaurants.

Where would you be proposing to put a stadium in Stirling? It's not going to be close to the fairly small railway station or tiny bus station.

Unknown user
9 minutes ago, Darren said:

Stirling isn't big enough to deal with major international events.

There's not enough accommodation. There's not enough pubs. There's not enough restaurants.

Where would you be proposing to put a stadium in Stirling? It's not going to be close to the fairly small railway station or tiny bus station.

I'm not proposing anything Darren, all I said was "in an ideal world I probably favour Stirling or therea bouts for the neutrality and ease of access"

A national stadium new build would surely include fan bars, large car parks and it would be easy to put on extra coaches so close to the motorways.  With the transport links I don't see why loads of accommodation would be needed.

But I'll leave it there, I'm not trying to convince you, I'm not that arsed if you agree. I can see issues that need solved in all suggestions put forward tbh.

1 minute ago, Smithee said:

I'm not proposing anything Darren, all I said was "in an ideal world I probably favour Stirling or therea bouts for the neutrality and ease of access"

A national stadium new build would surely include fan bars, large car parks and it would be easy to put on extra coaches so close to the motorways.  With the transport links I don't see why loads of accommodation would be needed.

But I'll leave it there, I'm not trying to convince you, I'm not that arsed if you agree. I can see issues that need solved in all suggestions put forward tbh.

It all sounds a bit Aberdeen in Kingsford to me, that's all. I think we would all like a better option than Hampden.

Johnny Sandiego
On 13/06/2019 at 09:45, TheBigO said:

As someone who attends Hampden regularly, I'm more interested in the match day infrastructure than redevelopment of the actual stadium.

They need to fix the local transport links and/or create a local fanzone.  They need to get people in to the ground more quickly - the queues are always a disgrace.  They need to get people to and from Glasgow more easily - often it's a fight to get on the last train or bus.  There needs to be more buses and more trains with more carriages.

The ground itself needs looked at, but I don't think immediately.  She has a few years left in her yet.  Not the best ground as far as viewing, but I don't think Murrayfield is really a football ground for me.

I'd like the national stadium to be in the capital, but if this isn't really costing the country money (due to benefactors), remaining at Hampden is probably the right choice.

Ive read this a couple of times when the Murrayfield vs Hampden debate comes up and never understood what it means.

What is it about Murrayfield that doesn't make it a football ground? 

For me the 2 key elements of enjoying a game of football in a bigger stadium is the view of the pitch when your either high up or low down and how close the stands are to the pitch behind the goals. Murrayfield wins both of those.

Additionally access to the ground, toilet facilities, catering, infrastructure and overall atmosphere are also better at Murrayfield. 

Play football and rugby fine at Aviva stadium in Dublin. 

It's the history and inability to deal with change. 

But although Murrayfield might get more games it's Hampden so we just have to accept that. 

1 hour ago, Johnny Sandiego said:

Ive read this a couple of times when the Murrayfield vs Hampden debate comes up and never understood what it means.

For me the 2 key elements of enjoying a game of football in a bigger stadium is the view of the pitch when your either high up or low down and how close the stands are to the pitch behind the goals. Murrayfield wins both of those.

Additionally access to the ground, toilet facilities, catering, infrastructure and overall atmosphere are also better at Murrayfield. 

After AEK Athens and Celtic, I wish people would stop advocating Murrayfield as a football venue. It is absolutely useless for us, or for anyone else. The atmosphere and sense of occasion at Hampden for our last two finals (2012 and 2019) was far better than Murrayfield will ever be. 

upgotheheads
4 hours ago, TypoonJambo said:

No way, half the population of the Weedge were concieved there. Where would they copulate if you built a big stadium smack bang in the middle of thier west coast love island? 

All the more reason to build a stadium there.

1 hour ago, Johnny Sandiego said:

Murrayfield isn't a perfect football stadium as it was  (like Hampden) redeveloped over the years without ever being designed for a specific purpose, ie football. Any stadium which has a running track round it is a disaster when it comes to generating an atmosphere for  everybody. Granted, if you have a good seat at Hampden then it's a great viewing stadium and a great atmosphere, provided by approximately 20,000 people who can hardly see what's happening at the far end. 

Murrayfield would have been a much better stadium if some Blazer hadn't decided to put sprinting lanes across the front of the main stand.

3 hours ago, Smithee said:

They take a small amount of people into Glasgow central where they can catch an actual train. That line was built for commuting traffic not the numbers we're talking about, which is why you rarely hear people talk about the train from Mount Florida in their Hampden stories.

From the west end of Edinburgh you can be at SCP in about half an hour. From Glasgow airport in maybe 20 minutes. It's as central to most of the Scottish population as you get. Stirling is the kind of compromise that actually suits very few people.

Johnny Sandiego
1 hour ago, dc-jambo said:

After AEK Athens and Celtic, I wish people would stop advocating Murrayfield as a football venue. It is absolutely useless for us, or for anyone else. The atmosphere and sense of occasion at Hampden for our last two finals (2012 and 2019) was far better than Murrayfield will ever be. 

I agree on AEK Athens as that wasn't a neutral venue, it was a Hearts home game which would have been far better at Tynecastle. 

The Celtic semi had the life sucked out of it atmosphere wise when Naismith went off early so its difficult to compare that directly with the Cup final as atmosphere/sense of occasion can be altered by what happens on the pitch.

In a general sense i can't figure out why Murrayfield would't be considered a "football venue" but Hampden would be. 

A country of our size don't need 2 national stadiums. By having 1 you can split overheads and future renevation costs.

For me its yet another missed oppprtunity by the SFA to save a bit of money, which could in turn be invested back into grass roots football, benefiting clubs and country for years to come.