Naismith - aims for return against Rangers ( updated )

Bauld

Just for the record Naismith is now 33 but that is not why I am posting. What intrigues me is the fact that many posters are suggesting that him going into coaching is a major element in signing a 4 year deal. That may well be the case but is that a good enough reason to make the deal that long. It would be highly unlikely that there were zero managerial changes in the next 2 years and there is no guarantee any new management team would see him as part of their plans. Any suggestion of giving the job to Naismith imminently is wrong headed, the club desperately needs more experienced coaches not a man with zero experience. 

The most important thing is getting him fully fit, a major element of that seems to be that he mentally trusts his body and can go full pelt without doubting himself. That will take a bit more time but going down that road is eminently preferable to the stop start nature of his recent returns. When he does come back he needs looked after, not played twice a week and never risked, he only plays when he is 100%. 

Edited by Jodami

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Robbo-Jambo

• Inch Hearts

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• Morgan

4 minutes ago, Jodami said:

Just for the record Naismith is now 33 but that is not why I am posting. What intrigues me is the fact that many posters are suggesting that him going into coaching is a major element in signing a 4 year deal. That may well be the case but is that a good enough reason to make the deal that long. It would be highly unlikely that there were zero managerial changes in the next 2 years and there is no guarantee any new management team would see him as part of their plans. Any suggestion of giving the job to Naismith imminently is wrong headed, the club desperately needs more experienced coaches not a man with zero experience. 

The most important thing is getting him fully fit, a major element of that seems to be that he mentally trusts his body and can go full pelt without doubting himself. That will take a bit more time but going down that road is eminently preferable to the stop start nature of his recent returns. When he does come back he needs looked after, not played twice a week and never risked, he only plays when he is 100%. 

Are we assuming that doesn't happen now?

Are you suggesting we don't take care, or enough care, of our players?

Guest ToqueJambo
10 minutes ago, Jodami said:

There’s no doubt we rushed some players back last season to try to turn things around in the face of an unprecedented injury crisis and to try to win key games like a cup semi, derbies and a cup final.

Understandable no?

We seem to be more cautious this season which is good.

Edited by ToqueJambo

2 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Are we assuming that doesn't happen now?

Are you suggesting we don't take care, or enough care, of our players?

I take it you are fully aware of the definition of the word when. 

I am suggesting that players have been risked in games when not 100%, in fact we have gone on record and admitted this. This is not unique to Hearts, most clubs will play someone who is not 100% particularly if the game is significant. We should never be tempted to do that with Naismith no matter how big the game is. 

Governor Tarkin
4 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Let's not sign a proven EPL and international player for as long as we can? Those posters are geniuses.

Lucky if we get a dozen games out of glass legs per term.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Go for a wee holiday,  and wtf?

Naismith is trying to bleed Hearts dry for a pension?

Quite frankly serves us right for laughing at the Bosnian pensioners 

9 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Are they fortune tellers as well as geniuses. Brilliant! 32 eh so he'll be 36 in 4 years? How old's Whelan again playing in a much tougher area of the park. Remember Totti, Crespo, Sheringham, Zlatan, Henrik Larsson, Jimmy Bone and other world greats who played up front at the very top level in their mid 30s? No you obviously don't. 

Larsson by the way had two terrible injuries late in his career and still played for Man Utd at 36.

Imagine we signed Naismith for only 1 year - this season - and he was injured for half of it? Now that would've been daft. Instead we've got a fantastic professional who wants to play for us and also wants to transition into coaching. What idiots we are to imaging that would be a good signing.

Good post and I am sure Totti , Larrson etc will be ecstatic to be mentioned in the same sentence as the world great Jimmy Bone.:robbo: Although I am sure the wee man thought he was.

6 hours ago, JamboAl said:

There's a lot in what you say but I doubt if Hearts offered him a 4 year contract without sound medical guidance.  Do you?

I really don't know the answer definitely but you've got to assume so. 

The next few weeks are massive  for us in terms of both him and Haring coming back in . Both a different class and massive players for us . 

Ive got a horrible feeling both their injuries are chronic. 

If we could get both them in the team long term and injury free we are a completely different side  over night .

Maybe it's just the pessimist in me but I fear both are going to be plagued long term with injuries which would be horrendous for both them and us .

8 hours ago, Jodami said:

I take it you are fully aware of the definition of the word when. 

I am suggesting that players have been risked in games when not 100%, in fact we have gone on record and admitted this. This is not unique to Hearts, most clubs will play someone who is not 100% particularly if the game is significant. We should never be tempted to do that with Naismith no matter how big the game is. 

Link please.

Just a guess but I'd reckon it was something we said in hindsight.  No club will force an injured player to play and so we can assume the player was in agreement as would be the medical staff.  It does not matter when you first play a player after a long injury, it is a risk that has to be taken some time.

PS  In SN's case he is/was desperate to get his 50th cap and that may have been a factor.

Edited by JamboAl

3 hours ago, Jamdub said:

Good post and I am sure Totti , Larrson etc will be ecstatic to be mentioned in the same sentence as the world great Jimmy Bone.:robbo: Although I am sure the wee man thought he was.

Ah! The beautiful Jimmy Bone.  I will never forget that headed winner in the 3-2 robbo game.  Though the man who made the difference that day was wee Doddie himself.  Him coming on as a sub changed our derby history.  Sorry for going off topic but I remember that goal like it was yesterday.  We've been making their lives hell ever since.   

9 hours ago, JamboAl said:

There's a lot in what you say but I doubt if Hearts offered him a 4 year contract without sound medical guidance.  Do you?

Wouldn't have thought so. 

Now beginning to have my doubts though. ☹️

8 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Wouldn't have thought so. 

Now beginning to have my doubts though. ☹️

If you accept the medical advice was valid at the time you can hardly doubt them now because of later events.

8 minutes ago, mellors1874 said:

naisy will be back for livi game 

source is current player 

Tough return on that shit house of a pitch for his first game back 

Just now, JamboAl said:

If you accept the medical advice was valid at the time you can hardly doubt them now because of later events.

Kind have a lot of doubts at the moment tbh probably just the whole mood at the club is a bit down.

Hopefully works out OK eventually. 

Forever Hearts
10 minutes ago, mellors1874 said:

naisy will be back for livi game 

source is current player 

On that pitch? Even our medical staff and management team can't be that stupid. Or can they.....

2 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Kind have a lot of doubts at the moment tbh probably just the whole mood at the club is a bit down.

Hopefully works out OK eventually. 

Should you not just judge each case on its merits irrespective of the mood at the club?

If we had been winning (with or without SN) I presume you would be thinking it was a brilliant signing.

3 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

On that pitch? Even our medical staff and management team can't be that stupid. Or can they.....

I think you've already made up your mind!

Bazzas right boot
5 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

Do you think they'll risk him on that pitch?

Nah he's too old. 

At 32, he's getting on for a pro athlete in the top league, they'll probably only play 18 year olds.

6 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

Do you think they'll risk him on that pitch?

I'll leave it to the experts.  They may even value your professional input.

Bazzas right boot
13 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

I think you've already made up your mind!

Everything he posts is dripping with sarcasm and a hidden dig. 

Bazzas right boot
Just now, JamboAl said:

His professional input is that a 32 year old  is getting on a bit for a pro athlete. 

With nuggets of information like that our medical team can't say no?

5 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Current Bun player? ☺️

nah just one of the other injured ones who will be back v livi also lol

27 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Nah he's too old. 

At 32, he's getting on for a pro athlete in the top league, they'll probably only play 18 year olds.

Is Naismith not 33?

1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

Should you not just judge each case on its merits irrespective of the mood at the club?

If we had been winning (with or without SN) I presume you would be thinking it was a brilliant signing.

Aye will just do what you say. 

You do realise we are on a forum and allowed our own opinions, yeah. 

Take Naismith out of the equation then, the mood at the club is as low as I ever seen it. 

Or do you think it's not?. 

If Naismith was fit and playing  brilliantly we would still be crap. 

He is one player out of 11 and not a miracle worker. 

Edited by Robbo-Jambo

Bazzas right boot
25 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

Is Naismith not 33?

Maybe. 

Even worse. 

I was quoting someone else BTW. 

Nb, he is now. 

32 when he signed the 4 year deal. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

Bazzas right boot
Just now, Robbo-Jambo said:

Aye will just do what you say. 

You do realise we are on a forum and allowed our own opinions, yeah. 

Take Naismith out of the equation then, the mood at the club is as low as I ever seen it. 

Or do you think it's not?. 

Lower 5/ 6 years ago by a distance. 

If your younger than 6 then great work on the typing. 😉

1 minute ago, Smith's right boot said:

Lower 5/ 6 years ago by a distance. 

If your younger than 6 then great work on the typing. 😉

Try to reasonable with you, but always have to have a dig don't you. 

Least everybody 6 years was fighting like hell to save us. 

Can you see that quality at the moment in the club, cos I can't. 

We are allowed to have different views you know. 

1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

Nah he's too old. 

1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

Everything he posts is dripping with sarcasm and a hidden dig. 

:rofl: 

Bazzas right boot
4 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Try to reasonable with you, but always have to have a dig don't you. 

Least everybody 6 years was fighting like hell to save us. 

Can you see that quality at the moment in the club, cos I can't. 

We are allowed to have different views you know. 

You said the mood at the club was as low as you'd ever seen it. 

It was lower 5/6 years ago. 

Decent point about everyone fighting for the cause tho, the fans hadn't thrown the towel in and were pulling in the same direction. 

Forever Hearts
1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

We're truly ****ed then. 

1 hour ago, ramrod said:

Tough return on that shit house of a pitch for his first game back 

I don’t think he’ll play. Not doubting what the other poster said but it’s maybe been overlooked momentarily where the venue is.  

Just can’t see his first full game on untested limbs after injury being on that pitch.  

Think most of of us predicted he wouldn’t play in many of the next 4 matches. Getting him fit for the semi may mean a start at Perth and any reserve matches either side of that.  

8 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

I don’t think he’ll play. Not doubting what the other poster said but it’s maybe been overlooked momentarily where the venue is.  

Just can’t see his first full game on untested limbs after injury being on that pitch.  

Think most of of us predicted he wouldn’t play in many of the next 4 matches. Getting him fit for the semi may mean a start at Perth and any reserve matches either side of that.  

Are reserve matches played mainly on grass? I have no idea. 

Clark Griswold
11 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

Boy in the pub.

Disappointing. Was hoping it would have come for a more reputable source, like Greggs or something.

The Future's Maroon
18 hours ago, Worthing Jambo said:

Training injury I believe!

Ahem.

You didn’t get the recognition you deserved for that comment!

If he is out another month, even two,  and comes back fully recovered and back to his best for us it will show what a shit show of a thread this has been.

Of course we don’t know, time will tell and unfortunately folk just need to wait and see before getting their knickers in a twist.

Personally, I have a funny feeling he will start against The Rangers, fully fit and it’s more about mind games from CL...after all the team would be set up completely different IF he does play compared to if he isn’t available.

1 minute ago, The Future's Maroon said:

You didn’t get the recognition you deserved for that comment!

If he is out another month, even two,  and comes back fully recovered and back to his best for us it will show what a shit show of a thread this has been.

Of course we don’t know, time will tell and unfortunately folk just need to wait and see before getting their knickers in a twist.

Personally, I have a funny feeling he will start against The Rangers, fully fit and it’s more about mind games from CL...after all the team would be set up completely different IF he does play compared to if he isn’t available.

Genuinely not having a go just asking a general question. Can anyone recall an occasion when the mind games of Levein have had a positive outcome. 

5 minutes ago, Jodami said:

Genuinely not having a go just asking a general question. Can anyone recall an occasion when the mind games of Levein have had a positive outcome. 

Will say it again. Naismith said he would be ready for the rangers game so I presume he was lying as well as Levein??

The Future's Maroon
5 minutes ago, Jodami said:

Not taken the wrong way, was just chucking my comments in 👍

1 minute ago, The Future's Maroon said:

Not taken the wrong way, was just chucking my comments in 👍

Good mate, didn't want to sound like I was having a personal go, I just wonder if the mind games thing actually works for any manager. It's an angle journalists like to work all the time but I don't think other managers pay much attention. Doesn't stop the arse cheeks from regularly planting stories about signing our players though!