Naismith - aims for return against Rangers ( updated )

Bauld

Cruyff Turn
10 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I'd say he's the best Hearts defender in the last 35 years. Maybe even longer but that's all I remember. 

That's pretty legendary! 

:spoton:

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Robbo-Jambo

• Inch Hearts

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• Morgan

25 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I'd say he's the best Hearts defender in the last 35 years. Maybe even longer but that's all I remember. 

That's pretty legendary! 

He's been a great servant to the club. A stylish defender, probably the best footballing centre half I've seen at the club (my Dad often compared him to Bobby Dougan). He would no doubt have made the club a lot of money and gone on to have a glittering career had it not been for that injury.  Some of the personal vitriol being thrown at CL by questionable posters on here is dire.

Edited by Deevers

Inch Hearts
8 hours ago, JamboAl said:

Naisy must think CL is a good manager as do Haring, Uche and Halkett.

By that token Christophe Berra thought Cathro was a good head coach.  Not sure what your point is? 

9 hours ago, Inch Hearts said:

Naismith is signing a new deal according to a couple of messages I got from tonight. Confirmed at the awards. ?

Was known weeks ago it was all but done. Id say as far back as the Hearts v Hibs game at Tynecastle.

19 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

:spoton:

+1

Inch Hearts
Just now, sadj said:

Was known weeks ago it was all but done. Id say as far back as the Hearts v Hibs game at Tynecastle.

+1

Cool! Great news regardless mate. 

10 minutes ago, Deevers said:

He's been a great servant to the club. A stylish defender, probably the best footballing centre half I've seen at the club (my Dad often compared him to Bobby Dougan). He would no doubt have made the club a lot of money and gone on to have a glittering career had it not been for that injury.  Some of the personal vitriol being thrown at CL by questionable posters on here is dire.

The personal vitriol is disgraceful. 

5 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

By that token Christophe Berra thought Cathro was a good head coach.  Not sure what your point is? 

Cathro is a very good coach. Cathro is not a manager. That is semantics. Add to that Berra is/was captain under him. He is not going to throw him under the bus or slate things at the clubs when he is in a position of influence even after he left. 

Edited by sadj

38 minutes ago, Hercules said:

Slaver ??. Brilliant. Followed Hearts before he was there. If you think he’s up there with the Trio, Robbo and Gary Mackay, to name but a few, May I suggest you stay off the zombie drug known as spice. 

Gary Mackay????????   Now I know you are either a hobo or still in primary school

Absolute Scenes
1 hour ago, kimosavi said:

Had a wee chat with Naisy last night at the awards. Uche went home with a stomach bug 

He's signing, seemed to genuinely love the club 

Great night 

Great stuff Kimo thanks for sharing!

Did you manage to chat to Uche at all, hows his injury if so?

GorgieRules22
6 minutes ago, MacPhee said:

anyone else hear he was playing a closed door game this week

Please be true

Inch Hearts
36 minutes ago, sadj said:

The personal vitriol is disgraceful. 

Cathro is a very good coach. Cathro is not a manager. That is semantics. Add to that Berra is/was captain under him. He is not going to throw him under the bus or slate things at the clubs when he is in a position of influence even after he left. 

Didnt Berra sign for Cathro? 

We_are_the_Hearts
10 minutes ago, MacPhee said:

Nope, reliable source?

6 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

Great stuff Kimo thanks for sharing!

Did you manage to chat to Uche at all, hows his injury if so?

Quick chat early doors says he's working hard to be fit, pretty sure he went home feeling ill. Looked like spewing outside at one point last i seen he was heading away from the gorgie suite holding his stomach 

Harry Cochrane is one thick laddie by the way. Loveable kid but jeezo thick as 2 planks lol 

letsalldothebeattie

Great to see he’s saying it’s inevitable that he’s staying but I’m not going to get too excited until it’s officially announced by the club. How many times have we seen someone say they are staying then it not happen. 

3 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

Whats with the puking bug at Riccarton??

It’s been doing the rounds for week or two. Lot of players ill before Easter Road. 

13 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

Whats with the puking bug at Riccarton??

It's all down to our training and fitness coaches.

Oh, and Craig Levein. His fault as well.

21 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

It’s been doing the rounds for week or two. Lot of players ill before Easter Road. 

I was thinking about how used Riccarton is that wont help. Its like school or nursery really. So many people just takes one bug and itll sweep round and when you are fit its easy to pick things up

For those of you who are debating Craig's character as a man and a football manager, and for those of you who were too young to remember him as a player. Here are a few quotes that you might find interesting. They are from one of my favourite Hearts related books 'Hands on Hearts' - Alan Rae (Hearts physio for over 20 years):

Could Craig Levein, who had fallen prey to a nasty gastrointestinal bug, have played if he had been pumped full of anti-emetic drugs? (I don’t think so: as he hadn’t eaten for 48 hours, the tank would have been empty and a game of this magnitude was no place for a drained player.)

“It didn’t matter how much space or time you thought you had against Craig – you hadn’t any!” To say that Craig had ‘a bit about him’ would be to undersell him. (Quote from Darren Jackson)

In my 23 years at Hearts I worked with eight managers. As manager from 2001 to 2005, Craig was one of the three most successful, the other two being Alex MacDonald and Jim Jefferies, two men who also knew about life on the ‘outside’ – as cooper and insurance rep, respectively. Levein’s playing career was cut short in painful and frustrating circumstances. I see his success on the other side of the touchline as being a refocusing of his obsessive desire to scale the heights in the world of soccer.

Edited by Glib and Shameless Crier

Lord Beni of Gorgie
54 minutes ago, MacPhee said:

Purely me at clutching straws but I could well believe it.

How about young Hickey at left back in the final. Madness? I still have fond memories of Gary Naysmith helping knock Celtic out of the League Cup at the same age, without ever having played a game

Absolute Scenes
42 minutes ago, kimosavi said:

Quick chat early doors says he's working hard to be fit, pretty sure he went home feeling ill. Looked like spewing outside at one point last i seen he was heading away from the gorgie suite holding his stomach 

Harry Cochrane is one thick laddie by the way. Loveable kid but jeezo thick as 2 planks lol 

Boys probably had about 4 plates of food, the unit he is ?

haha there’s a group of those ladies on Instagram and their joint IQ probably struggles to reach double figures

Unknown user
3 hours ago, droid said:

Wasn’t the initial tale told by self appointed Mr. Hearts(Gary Mackay) in his book? Absolute cock of a man.

Gary's as maroon as anyone on here and he's the club's record appearance holder - he's earned our respect.

I've read that book, it was brutal, the worst thing I've ever read! I don't remember anything like that about Levein in there but I was pretty numb by the end to be fair. Bless him, top Hearts man and all that, but his head's best used as a place to put hats.

3 hours ago, Hercules said:

Slaver ??. Brilliant. Followed Hearts before he was there. If you think he’s up there with the Trio, Robbo and Gary Mackay, to name but a few, May I suggest you stay off the zombie drug known as spice. 

How’s Mackay a legend and Levein isn’t? What’s Mackay done for the club over the last 20 years?

Hackney Hearts

Let's be honest, you've only put Mr Hearts in there because of his huge number of appearances, not because he was a world class midfielder! Levein was miles ahead of Mackay in terms of quality (and still racked up 461 appearances despite the injury). 

You're asking us to have a debate about whether Levein was up there with Gary Mackay? Seriously?

I was a big Gary Mackay fan, especially in his earlier years, a great player.

But Levein was on a different level entirely.

And, of course, the fact that we had players of the calibre of Levein, Mackay, Colquhoun and Robertson, all at the same time, playing together for so many seasons, was amazing. Couldn't happen nowadays.

davemclaren
3 hours ago, Smithee said:

That's pretty legendary! 

36 at most?

It should have been ten
4 hours ago, Hercules said:

You’re clearly on “spice” if you think Gary Mackay was anywhere near the same level. Mackay couldn’t lace Craig Levein’s boots, so aye...slaver.

3 hours ago, XB52 said:

Gary Mackay????????   Now I know you are either a hobo or still in primary school

This 

1 hour ago, Koolkeith said:

How’s Mackay a legend and Levein isn’t? What’s Mackay done for the club over the last 20 years?

This 

1 hour ago, Hackney Hearts said:

Let's be honest, you've only put Mr Hearts in there because of his huge number of appearances, not because he was a world class midfielder! Levein was miles ahead of Mackay in terms of quality (and still racked up 461 appearances despite the injury). 

This

1 hour ago, 4marsbars said:

You're asking us to have a debate about whether Levein was up there with Gary Mackay? Seriously?

I was a big Gary Mackay fan, especially in his earlier years, a great player.

But Levein was on a different level entirely.

And, of course, the fact that we had players of the calibre of Levein, Mackay, Colquhoun and Robertson, all at the same time, playing together for so many seasons, was amazing. Couldn't happen nowadays.

This 

It should have been ten
4 hours ago, Smithee said:

That's pretty legendary! 

Spot on!

doctor jambo
1 minute ago, Artful Dodger said:

Has he not signed yet ?

Have we a shortage of penis or something.

FTFY

Inch Hearts
1 hour ago, It should have been ten said:

Spot on!

Yet our record appearance holder isn’t classified as a legend? 

52 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

I'm very happy to accord Mackay legend-status, but Levein was an even better player, who has gone on to contribute massively to the club.

None of this matters, but when we are subjected once again to this p*** of Levein (of all people) allegedly bottling it in 1986 we have to set the record straight.

Hackney Hearts
40 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

I'd say he's a legend for that record, yes. The problem is the idea that Levein somehow isn't a legend, according to Hercules: 

If you think he’s up there with the Trio, Robbo and Gary Mackay, to name but a few, May I suggest you stay off the zombie drug known as spice. 

Mackay isn't quite in the same category of legend as Robbo - or certainly the Trio who played in our most successful ever team.

And he's nowhere near the quality of player as Levein, who is clearly a legend.

Legend can mean different things obviously... Rudi doesn't have the longevity of Mackay or Levein, but many consider him a legend for his impact, his personality and his glut of goals (particularly those in winning cup finals).

gorgieheart

Tell you what ....

For a thread titled Naismith, there have been some legendary tangents taken !

Anyway,  back to the theme of the thread..... Naisy to put pen to paper before the week is out ? 

47 minutes ago, gorgieheart said:

Tell you what ....

Anyway,  back to the theme of the thread..... Naisy to put pen to paper before the week is out ? 

which will enhance Levein's legend-status.

I'm more convinced than ever that he'll sign this week as a player/coach.

Does he travel from Ayrshire every day?  I'd get sick of that pretty soon.

8 hours ago, Jammy T said:

But ironically - in direct opposition to your post - MacLean started the season excellently. He only fell away when the core of the team got ****ed and he didn’t have the same quality supporting him.

Anyone that doesn’t think our ridiculous bad luck with that injuries to all our key players this season has not correlation to how the season has planned out is nuts.

I don't see how that takes away from my point? Maclean isn't a big physical target man, had we had someone more along the lines of Uche as back up we could have remained relatively effective. When things got put squarely on Macleans shoulders things fell by the wayside. 

I'm not saying that injuries played no part, injuries played an absolutely massive part. But you expect injuries, Uche should have had a relatively similar back up to ensure we could continue to play effectively.

(FWIW I think Maclean offers intelligence and experience up front, but he's not Uche and doesn't have a similar game to him at all so aren't interchangeable (IMO)).

7 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

We been getting our catering from easter road? :D 

Seriously, thats not good. 

8 hours ago, Hackney Hearts said:

Yep, Mackay was our Lewis Stevenson. I liked him. Honest one-club player (apart from his wee spell at Airdrie) and supporter, very steady, quite silky and creative at times, did well to win an International cap or two by being so consistent. Along with Davie Bowman and Robbo he helped drag the club up from the yoyo years. In terms of quality though, there's no comparison with Levein (or Robbo for that matter, or even someone like Stevie Fulton IMO in terms of Hearts midfielders).

Edited by Guest

Robbo-Jambo
7 hours ago, gorgieheart said:

Tell you what ....

Yes

Thought Police

Wish he’d hurry up and sign so I can finally put up that mural of him on my bedroom wall

JamboGraham
6 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

I'm more convinced than ever that he'll sign this week as a player/coach.

Does he travel from Ayrshire every day?  I'd get sick of that pretty soon.

Yes he does but given the core hours of a footballer it’s not a huge ask. Just over an hour each way (outside of rush hour).

Obviously disappointing that he won’t be involved in the cup final, but if not risking him means we get a fully fit Naismith for next season, then it’s worth. We’d have comfortably finished 3rd if he was fit the entire season.