Technology advancements

ri Alban

Tho, I like all the new shit like, phones, high speed travel, The Internet, medical care and prevention.  I'm a bit apprehensive about the speed in Technological and biological advancements. Building robots and gender selection seem like slavery and God complex to me.

Am I just being a big fearty? What's the world of JKB thoughts on the future of human genius.

Edited by ri Alban

In many areas, it's ruining lives. For example when I was a teen, I had a weekend job working in a factory with around 30 other people. Now that factory consists of robots and an engineer, meanwhile the owner of the factory gets a knighthood from the Queen. 

Even in my own office job, a number of manual processes are being automated, reducing number of staff required. 

HGV and Taxi jobs also looking like they could be under threat, it's crazy. 

I like those that say mechanisation will actually lead to more jobs servicing the robots.....

"Sorry but these cars will now be finished by this robot.....dont worry though.....its now your job to fix him.....hows your knowledge of algorithms?"

6 hours ago, Col1874 said:

In many areas, it's ruining lives. For example when I was a teen, I had a weekend job working in a factory with around 30 other people. Now that factory consists of robots and an engineer, meanwhile the owner of the factory gets a knighthood from the Queen. 

Even in my own office job, a number of manual processes are being automated, reducing number of staff required. 

Yes, machines are taking jobs. Jobs are being created elsewhere in places where we never had them before though. There aren't less jobs because of them, the jobs just are just going to different places.

The Luddites said this about machinery 200 years ago FFS, and that kickstartrd the industrial revolution. 

I suspect we'll be okay. 

8 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

I’m constantly amazed by the invention of man. 

I think like everything there are good and bad that come from things and it’s by in large how humans use it.  It’s the intent of the people using the technology that’s good or bad. Technology is completely neutral.

I think your being a ‘big fearty’

I think we will see huge amounts of advancement in integrated health technology and things like gene therapy. That will really see age just becoming a number for those who can afford it. 

If they don't provide youth and all the benefits of such they can keep it. If its just a c ase of keeping an old body alive when you get old your body itself lets you know it is tired, and just like the subject of the thread all the new devices although providing lots of pleasure such as the internet also provide lots of chaos such as scammers, war weapons etc. The simplicty of life where you got a job, got a wife, had a family is slowly sinking away, I now have the same feeling as my old mother who when asked once how in her senior years she feels about dying, her response has stayed with me for many years. "I will be glad of the rest".

A careers advisor at our school commented that a percentage (can't remember the exact figure but it was surprisingly large) of pupils would have jobs that hadn't been invented yet. Invented isn't quite the right word but I'm hopeful that the warm glow of a semi-final victory will allow me a little vocabularic leeway ?

Bindy Badgy
On 13/04/2019 at 07:24, Col1874 said:

A bigger issue is the way in which the raw materials are obtained. The civil war in the DRC, which has claimed over five million lives, is caused by rebel groups fighting for control of mines that produce the metal that ends up in mobile phones, jet engines and various other products.

Surely the earth is only capable of producing a certain degree of technological advancement. For example the raw materials on earth won't allow us to travel vast distances in space we would probably have to obtain that elsewhere  

On 13/04/2019 at 11:44, Der Kaiser said:

I like those that say mechanisation will actually lead to more jobs servicing the robots.....

"Sorry but these cars will now be finished by this robot.....dont worry though.....its now your job to fix him.....hows your knowledge of algorithms?"

What happens when they build a robot that can build and fix robots....

Bindy Badgy
1 hour ago, AlimOzturk said:

Surely the earth is only capable of producing a certain degree of technological advancement. For example the raw materials on earth won't allow us to travel vast distances in space we would probably have to obtain that elsewhere  

Mining meteorites seems like an obvious solution if the tech can get that far. That or sitting around a campfire cursing the short-sightedness of your ancestors that used valuable resources on useless junk.

2 hours ago, Stokesy said:

A bigger issue is the way in which the raw materials are obtained. The civil war in the DRC, which has claimed over five million lives, is caused by rebel groups fighting for control of mines that produce the metal that ends up in mobile phones, jet engines and various other products.

Quite tough to get hold of Um Bongo these days top. 

Tax the companies that use robots /automation.

Feed that back into the system. 

Think it was Bill Gates that suggested this.

On 13/04/2019 at 17:51, Boof said:

A careers advisor at our school commented that a percentage (can't remember the exact figure but it was surprisingly large) of pupils would have jobs that hadn't been invented yet. Invented isn't quite the right word but I'm hopeful that the warm glow of a semi-final victory will allow me a little vocabularic leeway ?

This kinda covers it eventually :D

On 13/04/2019 at 17:51, Boof said:

Would that word be 'envisaged'?

Certainly 30-40 years ago, nobody had envisaged online smart alecs.  :smuggy:

36 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

Would that word be 'envisaged'?

Certainly 30-40 years ago, nobody had envisaged online smart alecs.  :smuggy:

I think it was simply 'jobs that don't exist yet'...now that I'm a little less hyper :D 

10 hours ago, Dunks said:

Watch this and tell me that technology sucks. Amazing stuff.

Impressive stuff. I'm even more excited by the Sabre engine news from last week, which brings us a step closer to being able to have a space "plane" that takes off from a runway and can reach space in one stage, a Single-Stage-To-Orbit craft.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-47832920

Technological advancement is only a good thing if the benefits are made available to all people.

In recent years we're seeing technological advances being used to suppress people or to further widen the gap between haves and have-nots.

Too often it's about profit and not about the advance of the human race as a whole.

Thunderstruck

The next big advance has to be in finding clean, cheap and reliable energy in sufficient quantity. There is cause for optimism now that a 13 (Thirteen) year old in the US successfully achieved short-lived nuclear fusion in his Mom’s garage. 

On 13/04/2019 at 07:24, Col1874 said:

What's going to happen when basically robots or machines do all the work.What will become of society how will people make money to live ?

Pretty scary it could happen in our lifetime.

31 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

What's going to happen when basically robots or machines do all the work.What will become of society how will people make money to live ?

Pretty scary it could happen in our lifetime.

You tax companies and use the taxes to pay a basic universal income.

After all, if nobody has a job, nobody will have any money to buy anything and companies won't exist with no customers.

Or do away with money altogether and live in a Star Trek utopia.

Unknown user
8 minutes ago, Cade said:

You tax companies and use the taxes to pay a basic universal income.

After all, if nobody has a job, nobody will have any money to buy anything and companies won't exist with no customers.

Or do away with money altogether and live in a Star Trek utopia.

The basic universal income is a very interesting concept, cheaper to implement than any welfare system I'm aware of due to the lack of bureaucracy and more effective at keeping the population out of poverty. 

Trials have been positive, but I wonder if people are ready to accept those they see as lazy *****, junkies or the otherwise undeserving getting something for nothing.

Unknown user
39 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Have the trials been positive? I thought it was scrapped in fife where they were trying it as it was a disaster Whilst Finland or some other Nordic country had tried it with mixed results. People were happier but no more effective and  didn’t  put people back into employment or a

meaningful iss is. Volunteering or similar.

In the short term free money will make people happier, longer term I’m not so sure. X amount,  is never enough and wealth will be attracted to even smaller element of population, exacerbating the inaquality across the population.. If everyone gets a payment, what happens is poverty isn’t addressed but the cost of things just increase. Therefore the same fundamental issue continues.

The problem with the trial is they are at a micro level, where is the reality is it when it works on a macros level and thats when things change massively. . Inflationary pressures would wipe out any benefits, imo as everyone’s starting levels has been changed.

i think the belief that people will do something productive is a flawed one. Whilst the people supporting, as you say,  will quickly get pissed off they are funding people who don’t contribute. 

The big advantage is reduced beaurocicy, but other schemes could achieve that also. 

i like the idea of universal income. However, I’m. Far from convinced it’s implemtal. I think we are a long way from robots making humans redundant. (I could write a massive post on that topic)

Like you say interesting topic it’s not the silver bullet for me or even close.

(my spelling and grammar is poor at the best of times, but I’m missing my glasses today so writing this blind so please get the jist not the grammar/spelling.)

I don't know of the fife trial but I do know more about the one in utrecht. Now I suppose it comes down to what defines success - as I remember there was indeed no great improvement in usefulness of the unemployed, it was simply that less money was spent ensuring people stayed out of poverty and had a reasonable standard of living. Everyone would receive this on top of their wages so it's still worthwhile to get out and earn.

I don't know about a silver bullet, it's not THE answer, but I think it might be an improvement on what we have just now

To my mind an advancement should mean greater durability and quality. 

When my parents moved back to UK mid 80s they bought a Toshiba TV. Colour went on it in 2003. It lasted 17 years. 

We bought a Sony TV in 2007. By 2010 it was broken. Colour went. Just after garauntee ran out funnily enough. 

How m a by of us have had a great new phone that's packed in after two years, just around the contract renewal time? 

The technology of 2022 has been invented, the tech companies won't roll it out yet as they have to groom us with the interim stuff due for release 2019 that was developed 2015... Its all money in this keep up with the Jones' throwaway society. Tech companies (mobile phone manufacturers are absolute masters at this) drip feed us the "newest" product and we follow blindly on, to the point that people will q overnight like zombies to buy the latest phone. 

Many products used to be for life. Now, they are largely seen as consumables and are therefore designed to last for less time. Otherwise they'd never sell more product.

On 13/04/2019 at 16:08, Craig_ said:

The Luddites said this about machinery 200 years ago FFS, and that kickstartrd the industrial revolution. 

I suspect we'll be okay. 

I agree.

Robots will (in the main) perform tasks that are either repetitive (picking things, packing things and moving things) or that difficult that it takes away any chance of human error (intricate surgery).

They wont be cooking, administrating, building, doing installations/repairs on-site, designing, farming, painting or cleaning your windows. Of course there's probably a robot that COULD do most of those things but those are isolated. You wont see a robot drive a van, arrive at your gaff, climb a ladder & replace broken tiles on your roof or install your washing machine in our life time.

Anyway, humans still have to design, build, install, maintain, service and repair robots.

If you put salad into a plastic bowl on a production line for a job then I would be worried about robots. Not if your a plumber though!

On 15/04/2019 at 16:31, Thunderstruck said:

The next big advance has to be in finding clean, cheap and reliable energy in sufficient quantity. There is cause for optimism now that a 13 (Thirteen) year old in the US successfully achieved short-lived nuclear fusion in his Mom’s garage. 

Do u think we can terraform the Moon or Mars, sometime in the future. Gravity=Possible Atmosphere.

Bindy Badgy

5 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

Robots will (in the main) perform tasks that are either repetitive (picking things, packing things and moving things)

Or we send the job to Asia where the labour is cheaper than building a machine that does it.

Craig Gordons Gloves

I had a meeting recently about some new learning technologies that are being employed (i work in learning & development).  The company i was meeting with had held a training course where the participants were in one city and the facilitator in another.  That's not so unusual, we use virtual training all the time. What was unusual was that the facilitator was also in the room with the participants via hologram! 

I also work in the CE space and the advances in just consumer electronics themselves are quite staggering, i've had the opportunity to see some of what's coming and it's pretty amazing.  When i first moved to the US everyone was excited because you could buy a mobile phone that you could see who was calling you without opening the flip (motorola razr) and 12 years later, we've got phones that recognize our coupons, where we are and what we do.  Everytime i get in the car in the morning, my phone tells me how long to get to work - because it knows what i'm doing.

That's just some advances in 12 years in mobile phones and it was only 20 years ago that i sold my first mobile phone, which was a nokia 232 analog that had to be programmed!!

3 hours ago, Cade said:

Can't terraform anything without it having a magnetic field to stop the solar wind stripping the atmosphere away.

Magnetosphere?

Recently read a book about the potential solutions for this type of thing, 'Utopia for Realists', discussing reduced work week and universal basic income. Interesting read about how the future could be if automation renders people less and less relevant to the workforce. Tesla are testing automated self driving trucks which could have a massive impact on the trucking industry, especially over in the states where there are 3.5m truckers!