Top Posters In This Topic

• neilnunb

• AWM

• Cade

• Greedy Jambo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

I'm amazed so much has been released beforehand. It makes me fear all the rumours about the awful test screenings, hence the reworked ending, are true.

Oh well, not long to wait now.

Going to the Celtic game, then seeing a midnight screening. I could be full on rage by 3am Thursday 😁 

5 hours ago, neilnunb said:

I'm amazed so much has been released beforehand. It makes me fear all the rumours about the awful test screenings, hence the reworked ending, are true.

Oh well, not long to wait now.

Going to the Celtic game, then seeing a midnight screening. I could be full on rage by 3am Thursday 😁 

There were no test screenings - that was all debunked.

Got tickets for Thursday so looking forward to it.

10 minutes ago, Gards said:

There were no test screenings - that was all debunked.

Got tickets for Thursday so looking forward to it.

👍

Premiere tonight in LA so hopefully get some indication from the reactions.

13 hours ago, Zlatanable said:

Star Wars - Good

Empire Strikes Back - OMG this is brilliant

Everything else - wait what

Rogue One was good.

On 15/04/2019 at 15:08, Cade said:

Star Wars - Redefined blockbuster films.

The Empire Strikes Back - Best Star wars film ever made (ironically Lucas was off making Indiana Jones with Spielberg at this time).

Return of the Jedi - Decent end to the original story. Suffered from following the standard set by ESB.

Caravan of Courage and Battle For Endor - Two terrible kid's films featuring the Ewoks. And some kids. Absolute garbage.

The Phantom Menace - Ignored Star War's own canon, both in previous films and in twenty years of other media, which had previously all been given the nod by Lucas himself as official canon. Tried to retcon the entire franchise and proved that Lucas had lost the plot.

Attack of the Clones - Better than Phantom Menace but still awful.

Revenge of the Sith - A complete mess.

The Force Awakens - Was it a sequel? Was it a soft re-make of the first Star Wars? It was a decent attempt whatever it was and far superior to any of the prequels.

Rogue One - Arguably the best star Wars film since ESB. Although stories of re-writes, re-shoots and the changing of the entire final third act surrounded the development, it managed to be a good piece of work and addressed one of the "plot holes" from the original Star Wars  

The Last Jedi - Oh dear. Oh dear oh dear. Made by committee, re-written a few times, casting changes, directorial changes, re-shoots, ignoring almost all the events of the previous installment. Stupid side plots that went nowhere. Luke now a joke of character. Almost killed the franchise stone dead.

Solo - 100% pure pish.

Star Wars being bought by Disney looks to have been a false dawn.

FTA and Rogue 1 were decent enough then TLJ and Solo turned out to be bloody awful.

Nobody seems to know what to do with the franchise and the traditional fan base are losing faith. 

If Episode 9 is a stinker, it's all over.

They need to leave it alone for a decade or two then reboot the whole thing and bring back darth vader. He was and always will always be the ultimate villain IMO. 

Edited by AlimOzturk

2 hours ago, JimKongUno said:

Midway through the screening someone jumped up and shouted 'yeah JJ' . Masterpiece must it be

Was it Richard E Grant?

Arse 'Friends' Dyslexic?
On 04/05/2019 at 10:21, Arse 'Friends' Dyslexic? said:

As for Episode 9...

JJ does not have a good track record of concluding stories satisfactorily IMO.

And his co-writer is the bloke who wrote Suicide Squad, Justice League and Batman V Superman.

So expect multiple characters called "Martha" and various past Jedi/Sith milling around in a waiting room...

👆

No spoilers -
So much going on in the first 30-45mins, checked my watch and was surprised by how much they had packed in.

Despite the run time It was well paced and as expected Abrams delivers another visually stunning film.

If you made a checklist of items that should be in Star Wars films it will have enough for most people. 

been here before
17 minutes ago, Mysterion said:

If you made a checklist of items that should be in Star Wars films it will have enough for most people. 

X Wings, Millenium Falcon, TIE fighters, Chewbacca, Stormtroopers, ideally Darth Vader, light sabers and loads of paggering with blasters, laser beams, big explosions, Death Stars and spaceships and that.

Its Star Wars... anyone else who looks for more that that is worth the watching imo.

Ok, I am going to see this again tomorrow so my feelings may change but...

I think it's a mess. I turned to my pal after 30mins and said "I'm not sure wtf I'm watching here"

Everything was so rushed.

I know the reasons why it's like that...Carrie Fisher, the last movie etc.

There was lots I loved about it but first impressions, especially the first part, was confusion.

Maybe it didn't help watching after being humped by Celtic mind you. 😁

I am the opposite, I felt the first 30 minutes crammed a lot in but I never felt like I missed any of the thread of the story. 

It didn't feel like the longest star wars film, in fact it packed so much into the running time I felt it flew past. I was engaged, entertained and fektbit was a hugely satisfying end to the saga.

It may just be the post cinema glow but I really enjoyed that

7 minutes ago, been here before said:

That was good, fair enjoyed it 

I enjoyed it much better on second viewing. Actually got quite emotional at bits 😁

Another great Williams soundtrack btw. No matter how the movies have been since the originals he's always come up with the goods. Legend.

been here before

Aye I noticed the sound track and couldnt remember if John Williams was dead or alive. Must be a fair age if he's still kicking about.

One thing though, just about every main character thats appeared in the films crops up in some way, shape or form. Along with just about every ship thats ever been and quite a few nods to the other films. I seem to have missed any Obi Wan reference.

4 minutes ago, been here before said:

Aye I noticed the sound track and couldnt remember if John Williams was dead or alive. Must be a fair age if he's still kicking about.

One thing though, just about every main character thats appeared in the films crops up in some way, shape or form. Along with just about every ship thats ever been and quite a few nods to the other films. I seem to have missed any Obi Wan reference.

John Williams is 87. Had that wee health scare earlier in the year but seems ok.

Think a lot of the 'fan service' is partly why it's getting a lot of criticism. 

Spoiler

Obi Wan features amongst  the Jedi voices to Rey

Dean Winchester
47 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Hide contents

Obi Wan features amongst  the Jedi voices to Rey

Spoiler

Pretty sure they also tied Ahsoka Tano in there as well which was good (and Kanan I think from Rebels). Was really hoping they'd have introduced her in one of the side movies with Thrawn but oh well.

Overall I enjoyed it. It had a lot of steering to do to set it back on course after the disaster of the last one. I feel like we'd have gotten a much better trilogy if JJ had been involved in all 3.

20 minutes ago, Dean Winchester said:

Reveal hidden contents

Pretty sure they also tied Ahsoka Tano in there as well which was good (and Kanan I think from Rebels). Was really hoping they'd have introduced her in one of the side movies with Thrawn but oh well.

Overall I enjoyed it. It had a lot of steering to do to set it back on course after the disaster of the last one. I feel like we'd have gotten a much better trilogy if JJ had been involved in all 3.

Spoiler

Yeah they were amongst the voices along with Qui Gon, Mace Windu, Anakin (Hayden), Yoda, Luminara Unduli (Olivia D'abo).

Watched the triple bill on Wednesday night. Movies started at 6pm Wednesday and finished 2.30am Thursday ... and still headed back to finish my night shift...

So the final star wars movie...  if you like a fast paced, action packed, lots of fighting, space battles .... this is the movie for you.

I thought it was poor if he was trying to create a Star Wars purists type of film and ordinary if he was trying to do something else.   Barely seemed like a Star Wars film really.

Edited by Victorian

Jambo, Goodbye

An absolute convoluted mess. Characters all over the place, chasing convenient plot fillers on a to-do list. A number of plot holes, unexplained events, and side story-lines that are hinted at, yet remain unexplored with huge plot conveniences littered throughout, not to be unexpected from J.J. Abrams. Though trying to fix the mess of Episode 8 proved to be a mammoth task. 

Does it's absolute best to render the first six movies meaningless. Not a single sacrifice means anything anymore. All the best things in this movie were things were from Lucas' imagination, as usual, using nostalgia to sell, because nobody cares about this set of characters, the First Order or The Resistance. 

And the use of the Force has reached new levels of dumbness. Even in this movie universe, it had restrictions, but not now, not with the bestest Mary Sue to have ever lived! 

Good story writing has been a very scarce thing indeed this year in cinema 😔

The Mandalorian is being given positive vibes though. Hopefully Disney have finally realised how to make good Star Wars. Perhaps to little too late for some however. 

13 hours ago, Jambo, Goodbye said:

An absolute convoluted mess. Characters all over the place, chasing convenient plot fillers on a to-do list. A number of plot holes, unexplained events, and side story-lines that are hinted at, yet remain unexplored with huge plot conveniences littered throughout, not to be unexpected from J.J. Abrams. Though trying to fix the mess of Episode 8 proved to be a mammoth task. 

Does it's absolute best to render the first six movies meaningless. Not a single sacrifice means anything anymore. All the best things in this movie were things were from Lucas' imagination, as usual, using nostalgia to sell, because nobody cares about this set of characters, the First Order or The Resistance. 

And the use of the Force has reached new levels of dumbness. Even in this movie universe, it had restrictions, but not now, not with the bestest Mary Sue to have ever lived! 

The Mandalorian is being given positive vibes though. Hopefully Disney have finally realised how to make good Star Wars. Perhaps to little too late for some however. 

What’s a Mary Sue? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Mandalorian is superb 👍🏻

I find it funny grown adults getting upset about what in essence is a kids movie, will be going to see it with my 5 year old boy, I'm sure he'll love it, just as i enjoyed the first 3 when i was a kid.

Governor Tarkin
7 minutes ago, bn jambo said:

I find it funny grown adults getting upset about what in essence is a kids movie, will be going to see it with my 5 year old boy, I'm sure he'll love it, just as i enjoyed the first 3 when i was a kid.

STAR WARS IS MY YOUTH!

THEY'VE RUINED IT!!!111!

:seething:

15 minutes ago, bn jambo said:

I'm sure he will. There's plenty action to enjoy, the CGI is mostly brilliant with lots of cool locations and characters, and the stuff that annoyed me about it are the sort of things a kid won't mind one bit.

been here before
14 hours ago, Jambo, Goodbye said:

You know they're actors, just pretending?

There hasnt been any sacrifices. No-one is dead.

been here before
59 minutes ago, Alex Kintner said:

What’s a Mary Sue? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Female character in a film thats too good to be true, no vices, flawless.

Saw it today with my boys. Episode 7,8 Rogue One and Solo are all better movies.

Worst by far as well. Well done JJ....you ****ed up Star Wars.

1 hour ago, Der Kaiser said:

Saw it today with my boys. Episode 7,8 Rogue One and Solo are all better movies.

Worst by far as well. Well done JJ....you ****ed up Star Wars.

Solo was pretty meh.

Last jedi as a standalone film was fine but it kayboshed a great opportunity for this trilogy to be great. Instead it's just 'decent'. They should have rei produced palpatine in the 2nd movie and furthered his and Snokes story.

Edited by hughesie27

Rupert Pupkin

Went to see it with my two sons, they loved it, and 9 yr old me loved  it also..  

Adults getting their pants in a twist over kids movies... 😳🙄😂

My oldest son prefers the prequels , my youngest these new ones.. guess what I prefer.. ? Shock!!!  The originals. Common denominator, we were youngsters when viewing them. 

One thing I love though, we have all shared the Star Wars experience.❤️

Edited by Rupert Pupkin

Liked it. Far, far better than Last Jedi which was utterly hateful. Tried hard to fix the problems of its predecessor and I liked the ending. 

Not as good as Rogue 1, but enjoyable anyway